ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Charleston Southern, 6:30PM, Friday, November 16, 2018

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Buc_Dome.jpg

Enrollment: 3,575
Arena: Buccaneer Fieldhouse (1,000)
Nickname: Buccaneers Colors: Blue & Gold
2017-18 Record: 15-16, 9-9 2017-18 Finish: T-5th 2017-18 Postseason: N/A
Starters R/L: 4/1 Letterwinners R/L: 6/6
Head Coach: Barclay Radebaugh Record CSU:175-222 (13) Career Record: 196-230 (14 Seasons)
Twitter: @CSU_MBBall
Conference: Big South

Series: First Meeting

TV: none

RADIO:
94.9/95.1 FM, 100.5/101.9 FM, 1450 AM

Roster: Bucaneers

Live Video

LISTEN

LIVE STATS

Last edited:
Coaching staff is very familiar with this opponent and their personnel..

CSU is a talented but young team led by Christian Keeling, a Junior guard- was a runner up behind UNCA's MaCio Teague for Freshman of the Year two seasons ago and they had some good head-to-head battles the last 2 years.. will be an interesting matchup for this MTSU squad..

We should easily overmatch this team. Very interested to see how this one goes with all our young players.

Massive arena
Known in the BigSouth as the BucDome.. it’s ridiculous for any D1 program but certainly an advantage for the Bucs when they host..

Keeling may very well be the best player on the court for either team- he’s definitely the most experienced

I wouldn’t assume this as a win. This team can beat us

excerpt:

...The Charleston Southern Buccaneers and Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders meet Friday in college basketball action at the Murphy Athletic Center.

The Charleston Southern Buccaneers look for a big road victory to build on their 2-1 record. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers are averaging 67.5 points on 38.5 percent shooting and allowing 74 points on 49.5 percent shooting. Christian Keeling is averaging 19.3 points and 3.3 assists while Jamir Moore is averaging 11 points and two rebounds. Dontrell Shuler is the third double-digit scorer and Duncan LeXander is grabbing six rebounds. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers are shooting 23.5 percent from beyond the arc and 68.8 percent from the free throw line. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers are allowing 27 percent shooting from deep and are grabbing 30.5 rebounds per game. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers have split their last eight road games.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders look for a third home victory to build on their 2-1 record. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are averaging 73 points on 41.5 percent shooting and allowing 92 points on 53.8 percent shooting. Antonio Green is averaging 22.3 points and two assists while Reggie Scurry is averaging 14 points and 9.7 rebounds. Karl Gamble is the third double-digit scorer and Donovan Sims is grabbing 5.3 rebounds. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are shooting 27.8 percent from beyond the arc and 73.7 percent from the free throw line. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are allowing 31.6 percent shooting from deep and are grabbing 40 rebounds per game. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders have won 10 of their last 11 home games.

The Buccaneers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 Friday games and 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 road games. The Blue Raiders are 21-8 ATS in their last 29 home games, 2-5 ATS in their last 7 non-conference games and 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games overall. The under is 4-1 in Buccaneers last 5 overall and the over is 4-0 in Blue Raiders last 4 overall.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders have been really solid at home both SU and ATS dating back to last season, and it's to the point fading them doesn't make much sense when you look at the trends. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers have shown scoring issues early on this season and aren't shooting well from anywhere on the court.....

excerpt:

...The Charleston Southern Buccaneers and Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders meet Friday in college basketball action at the Murphy Athletic Center.

The Charleston Southern Buccaneers look for a big road victory to build on their 2-1 record. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers are averaging 67.5 points on 38.5 percent shooting and allowing 74 points on 49.5 percent shooting. Christian Keeling is averaging 19.3 points and 3.3 assists while Jamir Moore is averaging 11 points and two rebounds. Dontrell Shuler is the third double-digit scorer and Duncan LeXander is grabbing six rebounds. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers are shooting 23.5 percent from beyond the arc and 68.8 percent from the free throw line. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers are allowing 27 percent shooting from deep and are grabbing 30.5 rebounds per game. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers have split their last eight road games.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders look for a third home victory to build on their 2-1 record. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are averaging 73 points on 41.5 percent shooting and allowing 92 points on 53.8 percent shooting. Antonio Green is averaging 22.3 points and two assists while Reggie Scurry is averaging 14 points and 9.7 rebounds. Karl Gamble is the third double-digit scorer and Donovan Sims is grabbing 5.3 rebounds. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are shooting 27.8 percent from beyond the arc and 73.7 percent from the free throw line. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are allowing 31.6 percent shooting from deep and are grabbing 40 rebounds per game. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders have won 10 of their last 11 home games.

The Buccaneers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 Friday games and 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 road games. The Blue Raiders are 21-8 ATS in their last 29 home games, 2-5 ATS in their last 7 non-conference games and 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games overall. The under is 4-1 in Buccaneers last 5 overall and the over is 4-0 in Blue Raiders last 4 overall.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders have been really solid at home both SU and ATS dating back to last season, and it's to the point fading them doesn't make much sense when you look at the trends. The Charleston Southern Buccaneers have shown scoring issues early on this season and aren't shooting well from anywhere on the court.....

I think they have our stats backwards. We’ve scored 91, 102 and 76 (estimates). That is more than a 73 points per game

I think they have our stats backwards. We’ve scored 91, 102 and 76 (estimates). That is more than a 73 points per game

I think that must only be counting D1 opponents. We’ve only played one (Belmont) and lost 92-73, and that writeup says we are averaging 73 and giving up an average of 92.

Team looks steady. Charleston is rebounding well and their press was slowing us early. But we figured it out.

More assists than TOs... that’s a definite improvement... let’s see if they can put 2 halves together..

Keeling hampered by fouls in the first half.. heating up in the 2nd and CSU is feeding off his presence..

Wasn't it a 20 point lead a few minutes ago? Now it's 6... alarming! As I said... collapse...

What a disaster of a second half. What is wrong with this team? The talent is there to be formidable but we have literally zero composure. Zero.

As Bill Murray put it in "What About Bob" : "in the simplest way to put it, we have problems".

We escape! Gotta learn how to KEEP A LEAD. Clearly this is an effect of a limited bench...

The effort was there they just turned the ball over and couldn’t hit a shot

Plus credit CS, they hit a ton of tough shots.

Yea I was there and CS hit shots over defenders where there was nothing more we could have done.

Is it a good time to mention something I raised Monday night?

One thing that is interesting though about this team is that the guys that are assembled certainly have a lot of talent. The problem is we don't have a lot of them. Depth is going to be a big, big issue. I think we are going to see a lot of games like the Belmont game where we look good in the first half and then wear down in the second half. We are going to lose a lot of games on the back end simply because of lack of depth and experience. It is going to be infuriating to watch us lose so many games late, but that's likely how the 18-19 team is going to be defined. You just can't do anything about our depth and experience issues. It is what it is. And both of those will most often rear in the second half.

We have now been outscored in our two DI games in the second half by 44 points. Even the two non-DI games we just had a +4 margin in the second half of those two games.

It's odd watching a team that looks like they are top 25 in the first half, but has no clue how to finish and looks like a JUCO team in the second half. I'm glad we at least got this one. At least we get one DI win in the non-conference. I doubt we win another game before conference play starts. But the will damn sure make us think they are in the first half and then fold like a cheap tent in the second. Going to happen a lot this year. Hopefully, we have a game in the tournament next week where they accidentally play well an entire game.

Our bench went deeper than CSU’s. They played 8 guys double figure minutes. We played 9.

Indeed. There is no excuse for our poor second half performance tonight against CSU. No excuse.

Once again I didn't watch because I had other obligations but one has to wonder if one team is making adjustments and the other isn't at this point?

McDevitt has to do better and crack the code on getting this team to play well in both halves. If we could play some complete games we could actually be a pretty good team.

With the way we play and our lack of depth, we are going to wear down and play less defense in the second half. As a result Keeling started heating up big time in the second half by making almost everything he threw up. When we get some pressure, we tighten up and play poorly on offense with silly turnovers and bad shots. They can improve on that, but depth and foul trouble is going to kill us all year. Gamble and Scurry got in a little foul trouble and we got killed on the inside. As one gentleman said earlier, there will be a lot of games that follow this pattern.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
That's a great point crassy about style of play. Similar to what I eluded to after Belmont and McDevitt being a young head coach and not adjusting his philosophy to the roster he has. If he would put a governor on the pedal and play a half court style - at least for this first year - we can be in every game we play (sans maybe the next one).

But if he's going to let them go balls to wall the entire game wear down we will often.

There is enough talent to win. Kermit could win with this team. Skill wise we are actually better off than I thought we were going to be. But the head coach has to put them in a good position to win games. I'm not convinced he's doing that right now.

No one cares if Kermit could or could not win with this team. Kermit is not the coach. Sure McDevitt could change his style for one year to accommodate the fans and maybe win a few more games, but then he has a bunch of players learning a new system next year. I think the better choice is to play his style and then next year when we get these recruits in and Butler, Dishman, and Jones are eligible we are going to be really close to where we left off. I really like Jayce Johnson a lot. Crump needs to put some weight on and I think Junior will be good as well. Those three guys are going to get a lot of quality minutes in McDevitt's system that will pay off in the long run. May not be in the non-conference, but you never know when it will click for some of these guys. McDevitt needs to think what is best for the program long-term.

If I were him I would not care one bit about what most fans thought this year anyway. A Friday night game and we don't even have 4,000 people there. We have the most fair weather fans I have ever seen. When we are winning everyone is "True Blue", but when we are not there is no one to be found. If you want to be a VCU or a Butler on the court you have to be one in the stands.

Everyone needs to remember that guard play is what leads teams and translates to wins..we are playing 3 Freshman and Sims, a sophomore who didn't play much last year until the last set of games and a JR, Green who sat out last year. They are making mistakes, but give them time to develop.

What I saw last night was a lot of hustle and effort the shots just didn't fall in the second half. And there were several unforced turnovers, but the effort was there.

I like the style of play. All I'm looking for is improvement from now till the end of the year and the development of our younger players.

No one cares if Kermit could or could not win with this team. Kermit is not the coach. Sure McDevitt could change his style for one year to accommodate the fans and maybe win a few more games, but then he has a bunch of players learning a new system next year. I think the better choice is to play his style and then next year when we get these recruits in and Butler, Dishman, and Jones are eligible we are going to be really close to where we left off. I really like Jayce Johnson a lot. Crump needs to put some weight on and I think Junior will be good as well. Those three guys are going to get a lot of quality minutes in McDevitt's system that will pay off in the long run. May not be in the non-conference, but you never know when it will click for some of these guys. McDevitt needs to think what is best for the program long-term.

If I were him I would not care one bit about what most fans thought this year anyway. A Friday night game and we don't even have 4,000 people there. We have the most fair weather fans I have ever seen. When we are winning everyone is "True Blue", but when we are not there is no one to be found. If you want to be a VCU or a Butler on the court you have to be one in the stands.

Yeah. Let's not worry about winning games so the head coaches ego stays in tact under the illogical premise that losing will make them better next year. Really? Are you freaking serious?

That’s golden. Modifying the style of play to win now is really going to negatively impact next year’s team?? LMAO. What CNM is doing right now is paramount to having a pro style QB and saying F it we are still running he option.

I will check back in six weeks and see if y’all still feel the same when we are sitting at 3-10 or 4-9. Because as I said before this group is better than I thought they were going to be, but Nick has to put them in the best position to be successful to win games. But if he’s going to be stubborn and stick to his guns there won’t be a lot of wins left on the schedule. He simply doesn’t have the depth and experience.

What CNM is doing right now is paramount to having a pro style QB and saying F it we are still running he option.
.[/QUOTE]

Is this what you believe he is doing right now? Were you at the game? I saw him coaching, making changes by the possession to WIN the game last night. There is no Nick King to bail out the coach when the game is on the line. I saw him call time outs when the game got tight and coach the guys up. I saw him pull his two leaders (Green and Sims) together three or four times and coach them up.

Last night was not the system, it was poor execution on the offensive end (easy missed shots, missed FTs in the last few minutes, unforced turnovers). I thought we played enough defensively, holding them to 34% shooting for the game. They matched us on the boards.

We gave CKD 10 years to use his system to get a winner, and the worry about Davis didn't start till about year 7 or so. CNM has coached 4 games and he has won the games he should. I bet we mostly likely will lose a more than we win this year - a lot of it is a tough OOC schedule and playing in a better conference than 2002/2003 SBC.

I am not getting the negativing and concern at this point. If by next year mid-conference we are not improving then unleash.

Green and Sims have to limit the the turnovers more. Green also has to quit forcing so many shots and so early in the shot clock. He is a good shooter but he takes way too many bad shots. I like Junior Fuquor a lot and I think he will be a solid player for us in the future. I didnt see the Belmont game, so I can't comment on that but I think our defense has improved since the first two games. We are going struggle this especially in the post but I think we will continue to improve as the season goes on and could possibly when a couple games in the CUSA tournament at year end.

ADVERTISEMENT