ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Middle Tennessee @ Southern Mississippi series, 6PM/2PM(DH)/1PM, Fri/Sat/Sunday, May7-8, 2021

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
@ USM, 6PM, Friday, May 7, 2021
@ USM, 2PM (DH), Saturday, May 8, 2021
@ USM, 1PM, Sunday, May 9, 2021

USM is 29-14, 16-7 in conference and 18-7 at home

USM is scheduled to play a mid week game at 6PM today against SE Louisana

USM in the polls:

No. 20 spot by D1Baseball.com and a No. 19 spot by USA Today.
USM moved into the Baseball America poll at No. 22 and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll at No. 25 for the first time this season.

Gm 1 goes to extra innings tied 0-0. We get the lead in the 10th, but blow it and lose 2-1.

Missed opportunity.

Gm 2 of series (first game of Saturday DH): we get no hit and lose 0-6 in 7 innings.

Game 3 starts soon.

I think we are closer to being good in baseball than any of the big 3 sports.

We have the major disadvantage of baseball being C-USAs best sport, by far. I am hoping for 1 win this weekend, 3 versus FIU and then a win versus Murray to finish above .500.

I agree, but it's frustrating that this team just can't get over the hump to this point...

We just can’t hit.

We have a top 15% pitching staff and bottom 15% hitting. It’s a shame too, because we are one of the best teams on the bases when we get on.

Some big programs are going to make a run at Bunn in the off season. I don’t know if he will stay, but I hope we can keep him long enough for our hitting to just get decent.

24 innings, 1 run and 6 hits.

Difficult for pitchers to keep focus on the road against a top 20 team when you get little support.

Last edited:
I agree, but it's frustrating that this team just can't get over the hump to this point...

Just which sport are you 2 implying is one of the "big 3 sports"?

I fail to see any college sport coming close to FB and Men's BkB in popularity.

Just which sport are you 2 implying is one of the "big 3 sports"?

I fail to see any college sport coming close to FB and Men's BkB in popularity.
Who said that college baseball was as popular as college football or men’s basketball? Nothing touches college football In terms of popularity.

The comment is in reference to football, baseball and basketball being the 3 most popular sports in the United States (yes soccer is growing, but not quit there across the nation yet).

Btm of 6th, Wigginton is pulled after another run for USM scores to make 5-1 and bases are loaded,

staring at 8th straight loss

Who said that college baseball was as popular as college football or men’s basketball? Nothing touches college football In terms of popularity.

The comment is in reference to football, baseball and basketball being the 3 most popular sports in the United States (yes soccer is growing, but not quit there across the nation yet).
Assumed when you mentioned "we" (MT) and "big 3 sports" in the same sentence you were talking about college sports. No doubt in this part of the country BB would be considered the 3rd most popular college sport, although there would be some who would argue women's BkB.
Agree that BB is #1 in attendance when talking about pro sports. Interestingly, according to Wikipedia for the '18-'19 season among professional sports hockey was slightly ahead of BkB in total attendance. Who knew?

Assumed when you mentioned "we" (MT) and "big 3 sports" in the same sentence you were talking about college sports. No doubt in this part of the country BB would be considered the 3rd most popular college sport, although there would be some who would argue women's BkB.
Agree that BB is #1 in attendance when talking about pro sports. Interestingly, according to Wikipedia for the '18-'19 season among professional sports hockey was slightly ahead of BkB in total attendance. Who knew?
It really depends where you are. The UMinnesota hockey arena is awesome.

Women’s basketball is hard to judge. Financially, the WNBA would not survive without NBA financial support, but women’s college basketball averages 1600. Half the teams playing college baseball don’t get a real home game for 2 months and the average attendance is well below basketball for an average game once you get past the top 20 schools
Then the CWS still has a higher average game attendance over women’s Final Four.

Having been to a women’s Final Four, a CWS and men’s basketball games at Duke, UNC and Kentucky, I can say the CWS has a better atmosphere for a casual fan when your school isn’t playing. Then again, my favorite in person sport when I don’t care is hockey.

I will always consider baseball more important than women’s basketball because I played baseball into junior college and probably a bias against women’s sports. But for me both > soccer.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Another rough week for Blue Raider Alums and Fans.

Blue Raider Blitz anyone?????
Unless Coach Insell shows, what are they reportedly gonna be blitzing????

I’m dead serious.

Another rough week for Blue Raider Alums and Fans.

Blue Raider Blitz anyone?????
Unless Coach Insell shows, what are they reportedly gonna be blitzing????

I’m dead serious.

Next month, CRI turns 70 and many Lady Raider fans have more gray in their hair than he does. He's more successful, relatively speaking, but he and wbb is coming off a blow out/beat down of epic proportions at the hand of that school in knoxville and he's lost his top two scorers in the Hayes sisters. That's best that Massaro and McPhee have to sell the fan base that is rapidly graying, rapidly losing interest, and rapidly declining in numbers and I strongly suspect the covid restrictions and excuses mask how bad things really are.

I am still hopeful for the baseball program, but next year needs to be much, much better.

You are spot on, Space. I was told by an extremely reliable source that the plan to milk the Covid excuse is in full implementation but eventually the chickens will come home to roost and somebody will have take the hit for the abhorrent fundraising and drop in fan support, ticket sales and attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT