Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
Enrollment: 14,845
Arena: Reed Green Coliseum (8,095)
Colors: Black & Gold Nickname: Golden Eagles
Head Coach: Jay Ladner Record at School: 1st Season Career Record: 76-88 (5 Seasons)
2018-19 Record: 20-13, 11-7 2018-19 Finish: T-2nd C-USA 2018-19 Postseason: CBI Round 1
Starters R/L: 1/4 Letterwinners R/L: 6/9

Twitter: @SouthernMissMBB

GAME NOTES

LIVE STATS

LISTEN

WATCH

Date: February 22, 2020 Time: 12:00 PM CT
Arena: Reed Green Coliseum (8,095)
Series Record: MT leads 9-3
TV: ESPN3 Talent:
Radio:
Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Last edited:
The two narratives with this game: We lose to USM and we continue our season long theme of further regression, or we get a win over the other bottom feeder we've already beat which would be the first sign of consistency all season, but is it REALLY anything to celebrate? *shrug* I might decide to check out some OVC ball like Franklin.

I don't even know what would be a good "outcome" for this contest. Everything is about next season at this point, and the team better look a lot different next year from a roster standpoint.

At this point, if I'm Nick, I'm trying to figure out everything I can with the young players and give them as much experience as possible. Start Crump, Lawrence, Jackson, and Millin. We need as much film on them as possible to see what we have because if there's 3 or 4 talented players that want to commit and sign with us in the offseason, we are gonna have some tough decisions to make in terms of who we keep and who we let go.

I feel like we have "settled" on some recruits since Nick has arrived and if we have some talented players that want to sign with us this off-season, but we don't have room, it's gonna be time to let them go.

can't believe they are not turning this roster over more. This is not a talented team. Completely disagree with the decision to only sign 2 with this class. We need better players.

A PG and not a PF is a drastic mistake.

Have the coaches learned nothing from getting mauled on the inside by half of the C-USA teams?

Not so sure a PG isn't the bigger need. Have been extremely dissatisfied with guard play considering its where the most experience is. Quite frankly have been unhappy with the lack of mental toughness on display each game night with the ball handling, the turnovers, etc....

If after seeing the redshirt guards sitting out and practicing everyday, the coaches think a PG is needed, I am not going to disagree. A PF would be nice too and I will be disappointed if a scholarship or two does not open up at the end of the season...

There might be just one ship available, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re planning to backfill some attrition as well.

If that’s not in the works, the decision to sign a PG is a complete head scratcher to me...

it's a pg, i sent them a 6'7" Forward, that is a AJC super 12 player. plays at 5A level here in GA. that's when he said their signing a pg with the final ship

I could see going outside your needs if you could land a superstar like a 4 or 5 star recruit. If it's another run of the mill 2 star type PG, then I think it is a big mistake.

Realistically, we could say most positions are suspect when you are dead last in conference etc.

I would have have to ask what the heck are the coaches doing when being thin in the frontcourt their whole time here if 2 of the ships are in use for D1 experienced guards sitting out that are both unable to help fill out the PG slot. Maybe it will all make more sense after signing period, or at least I hope. Sadly, hope hasn't brought much in the way of results the last year or two.

It's hard to view this as anything more than rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.......

Hate to be so negative. I could maybe be positive if ANY of the younger players were playing well, but they're not. The manner in which we won was nice because we had more assists than turnovers, fewer turnovers, and only allowed them to shoot 15.8% from 3, all of this on the road. In a vacuum, it's decent. But the inconsistencies and the lack of talent on this squad is just too much to overlook for me personally.

I am of the belief that we need a rapid transformation and influx of talent to have any hope of getting back to the promised land. And signing only 2 players with this class (Fussell +1) isn't going to be enough IMO. Assuming we have talented players that would be willing to sign with us, that is.

I can't help but wonder how devastating these last 2 years have been on our ability to recruit. Kids have short memories. 2 years ago, I would have a real belief we could sign someone like Rudi Williams. Now, landing him would be like winning the lottery kind-of-rare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT