ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ (RV) UTSA (CBSSN), 7PM Friday, September 25, 2020

The issue was once again small execution issues. (No receiver names)

Our play was an old Steve Spurrier play from the 90s. Basically on the 3 by side, the 2 inside receivers are supposed to hitch and sit. The backside X runs a slant that turns into a cross behind those receivers. Edited to add: For JT, if you look at our OL blocking on the last 2 point play, it looks like a run block. My guess is it an RPO element was added.

Another part of the play execution fail is that the pulling LG was a bit late to pick up the blitzing LB, which caused OHara to rush his throw

So my guess - it was an RPO, UTSA had 7 in the box so we pass, Ohara wanted to go to the Y hitch, it was well covered, he got pressure so hurried a lob up to him instead of having time to look backside to the open X on a slant. The lob pass ran the Y into the crossing X and we get the incomplete pass.

Worked like a charm. LOL. If the kid or other players can't handle the RPO, then go traditional. Hell, how about a TE play? I forgot, we're special. We don't need pass catching TE's. What a joke. The OL coaches need to be fired last night. We just need one damn OL coach. Combine their 2 salaries and go get a stud OL who actually played as an OL and who can coach. SMDH

I'm gonna disagree to the fullest. Our X's and O's are not fine whatsoever. Our coaching is pathetic across the board. Strategy, postion coaching, strangth and conditioning, playcalling, leadership, etc. You name it. We need an overhaul. Tony needs to be in the pressbox. That would help now but other than that, we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

This unfortunately is the truth.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
I'm gonna disagree to the fullest. Our X's and O's are not fine whatsoever. Our coaching is pathetic across the board. Strategy, postion coaching, strangth and conditioning, playcalling, leadership, etc. You name it. We need an overhaul. Tony needs to be in the pressbox. That would help now but other than that, we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

Tinsley was open on the 2 point conversion attempt. Pause the video above at the 23 second mark. He beat his man off the line. They had 7 in the box, so the read is pass. Both LBs crash on the run action, meaning if Asher throws the slant, it’s a tie game. The player read/execution failed. I am having a hard time seeing logic in the argument that a play where our receiver is open on a high percentage route is a bad call. Now argue execution sucks and we agree. I’m not sure what play calls are good when your team lacks overall talent and doesn’t execute well.

And I agree with you about the rest of the coaching . Lack of energy, poor recruiting, strength training, poor decision making, technical skill coaching and a host of other issues. They should have been fired in 2012.

Tinsley was open on the 2 point conversion attempt. Pause the video above at the 23 second mark. He beat his man off the line. They had 7 in the box, so the read is pass. Both LBs crash on the run action, meaning if Asher throws the slant, it’s a tie game. The player read/execution failed. I am having a hard time seeing logic in the argument that a play where our receiver is open on a high percentage route is a bad call. Now argue execution sucks and we agree. I’m not sure what play calls are good when your team lacks overall talent and doesn’t execute well.

And I agree with you about the rest of the coaching . Lack of energy, poor recruiting, strength training, poor decision making, technical skill coaching and a host of other issues. They should have been fired in 2012.

Most of them weren't here in 2012. In 2012, we beat the hell out of a P5 team on the road and won 8 games in 2012. I'd take that in a heartbeat over what we have now. The coach should know what his player can do or not do and dial up the right strategy for that player. We clearly are not doing that thus it being a bad play call. If the QB you got in there can't successfully run a RPO then why the hell do you let him run a RPO play? It's a dumbass move to force a round peg in a square hole repeatedly. That's the bad call here. OHara ain't built for that type of O. Cunningham reads defenses much better. He can't run but neither could Kilgore and we won a lot with him. He played at community college as well. It's about style and ability to run said style. OHara has flashes of being a good QB but once he gets flustered, it's over. He can't handle that type of playcall. He hasn't yet and won't. The coaches should already know this. That's the main gripe I have to be honest. You run your plays with no adjustment to the personnel you have. That's just stupid and explains a lot about how we are where we are. We had much better position coaches in 2012 than now.

Most of them weren't here in 2012. In 2012, we beat the hell out of a P5 team on the road and won 8 games in 2012. I'd take that in a heartbeat over what we have now. The coach should know what his player can do or not do and dial up the right strategy for that player. We clearly are not doing that thus it being a bad play call. If the QB you got in there can't successfully run a RPO then why the hell do you let him run a RPO play? It's a dumbass move to force a round peg in a square hole repeatedly. That's the bad call here. OHara ain't built for that type of O. Cunningham reads defenses much better. He can't run but neither could Kilgore and we won a lot with him. He played at community college as well. It's about style and ability to run said style. OHara has flashes of being a good QB but once he gets flustered, it's over. He can't handle that type of playcall. He hasn't yet and won't. The coaches should already know this. That's the main gripe I have to be honest. You run your plays with no adjustment to the personnel you have. That's just stupid and explains a lot about how we are where we are. We had much better position coaches in 2012 than now.

Running the same offensive last year, Asher had a thousand yards rushing and 2600 passing. That’s literally the prototype for the RPO. He ran several RPO plays in this game & you probably thought those are great play calls because it worked. The only difference between the good and bad play was execution.. We did not lose that game because of X & O on offense. We lost due to overall poor execution, lack of talent depth and bad decisions to chase points going for 2 so early.

I swear over the years you and I have had some of the dumbest arguments over silly things when we basically agree the coaches should be canned.

TF game plan was fine tonight but there are many occasions where it is not. Our coaches and teams can never seem to put together good cohesive performances. It is a combination of poor fundamentals and weak players at certain positions. Our OL is as bad as I’ve ever seen it and that’s say something. Asher is a below average QB with good mobility. Our RBs are average at best. Only thing I like about our offense is our receivers. Great mix of young talent and upper class men.

I think what’s frustrating also is last signing class was pretty good and our current commits right now are good too. But that ship has sailed. Tired of waiting. Time to bring in a new staff and some fresh blood and breath some life into our dead program.
Fire Massaro too please.
That is all

We ran the same O last year and we won 4 games. LOL. That sh!t don't work. UNT game was the most perfect example of the square peg factor. The X's and O's ain't good. and nothing else is either. Plus, we should be better this year right? You are entitled to your wrong opinion though. LOL. I just like sparking the fire dude.

Cohesion is a great point made by Wiley.

Asher's yardage don't mean jack to me. He's not the guy. He can't manage the game to save his life. I'd rather have an average dude back there who completed basic plays and didn't turn the ball over 8-10 times in 3 games. He threw like 3 more picks that got scrubbed off the board. 2 of em were pick 6's. The coaches are stupid trying to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. I could win with him though. I'd make him a slot reciever and would flip him into H back from time to time. I would also get a TE and keep those LB's honest. I'd teach my line to cut block like Jimmy Ray Stephens did at times and let my QB (Cunningham) stand in the pocket pick those bastards apart. At least we are talking about something right?

Reactions: Hop45
We ran the same O last year and we won 4 games. LOL. That sh!t don't work. UNT game was the most perfect example of the square peg factor. The X's and O's ain't good. and nothing else is either. Plus, we should be better this year right? You are entitled to your wrong opinion though. LOL. I just like sparking the fire dude.

Cohesion is a great point made by Wiley.

Asher's yardage don't mean jack to me. He's not the guy. He can't manage the game to save his life. I'd rather have an average dude back there who completed basic plays and didn't turn the ball over 8-10 times in 3 games. He threw like 3 more picks that got scrubbed off the board. 2 of em were pick 6's. The coaches are stupid trying to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. I could win with him though. I'd make him a slot reciever and would flip him into H back from time to time. I would also get a TE and keep those LB's honest. I'd teach my line to cut block like Jimmy Ray Stephens did at times and let my QB (Cunningham) stand in the pocket pick those bastards apart. At least we are talking about something right?
To be fair, MT has lined with a TE / H-back more than I’ve ever seen from a TF offense.

My guess is Stock / TF are using TE / H-back as a blocker, but defenses have countered by buzzing a S (or another DB) into box to stop run game (essentially nullifying the numbers advantage)

MT ran the same offense a few years ago and went 8-4. What’s changed? IMO, the offensive line has gotten progressively worse over the last 5 years or so. I don’t care if you run the Air Raid, triple option, or pro style, OL needs to block

TF game plan was fine tonight but there are many occasions where it is not. Our coaches and teams can never seem to put together good cohesive performances. It is a combination of poor fundamentals and weak players at certain positions. Our OL is as bad as I’ve ever seen it and that’s say something. Asher is a below average QB with good mobility. Our RBs are average at best. Only thing I like about our offense is our receivers. Great mix of young talent and upper class men.

I think what’s frustrating also is last signing class was pretty good and our current commits right now are good too. But that ship has sailed. Tired of waiting. Time to bring in a new staff and some fresh blood and breath some life into our dead program.
Fire Massaro too please.
That is all

Since we played it close, I decided to punish myself and go back and watch some of the game. Our receivers dropped six passes that I saw (probably more). Over the past 10 years we had only a few good receivers at a time. Richie for sure. Ty seemed to regress with each year he was here. Hell, that’s true with most of our receivers. Most of our receivers out of three dozen of them can’t consistently catch the damn ball. They don’t run good routes which is why the only open receiver we ever seem to have is the one at the line of scrimmage on a screen. Agree with you generally about most things but our receivers don’t really help Asher out. They dropped two TD passes as well.

Asher is going to be ok. Without those drop he would have been 37-for-47 with over 400 yards. I literally saw the light bulb go off in his head in the second half as he finally realized it’s ok to throw it away even if it means punting after those two interceptions. That kid is still learning and throws an incredibly accurate deep ball. I wish our line could protect long enough to give him more time. When he has the time he’s not a bad QB and his bone-headed mistakes are still just a result of not having a lot of experience. I see why Tony still believes in him. With his ability to run and be elusive we are much better (especially given the aforementioned OL problems). I’m actually much more worried about defense than I am offense. This is because we only have one or two really aggressive go getters recruiting and it shows. We have good athletes in some positions, a dearth in some and terrible fundamentals which goes back to a staff that’s on cruise control. Change is needed (a long time ago).

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDawg78
IMO, the offensive line has gotten progressively worse over the last 5 years or so. I don’t care if you run the Air Raid, triple option, or pro style, OL needs to block

The moment that I really realized this program was in trouble occurred before Brent even arrived but my realization of it came into focus his second year of playing. If Rick couldn’t assemble and coach up a viable offensive line to protect his own son at QB it was a huge, huge red flag what was happening in our offseason program - most notably with recruiting. I knew then as soon as Brent’s eligibility expired we were f’d. And said so years ago before we got to this point.

Since we played it close, I decided to punish myself and go back and watch some of the game. Our receivers dropped six passes that I saw (probably more). Over the past 10 years we had only a few good receivers at a time. Richie for sure. Ty seemed to regress with each year he was here. Hell, that’s true with most of our receivers. Most of our receivers out of three dozen of them can’t consistently catch the damn ball. They don’t run good routes which is why the only open receiver we ever seem to have is the one at the line of scrimmage on a screen. Agree with you generally about most things but our receivers don’t really help Asher out. They dropped two TD passes as well.

Asher is going to be ok. Without those drop he would have been 37-for-47 with over 400 yards. I literally saw the light bulb go off in his head in the second half as he finally realized it’s ok to throw it away even if it means punting after those two interceptions. That kid is still learning and throws an incredibly accurate deep ball. I wish our line could protect long enough to give him more time. When he has the time he’s not a bad QB and his bone-headed mistakes are still just a result of not having a lot of experience. I see why Tony still believes in him. With his ability to run and be elusive we are much better (especially given the aforementioned OL problems). I’m actually much more worried about defense than I am offense. This is because we only have one or two really aggressive go getters recruiting and it shows. We have good athletes in some positions, a dearth in some and terrible fundamentals which goes back to a staff that’s on cruise control. Change is needed (a long time ago).

I think you are on to something. There is something fundamentally flawed with our we technique coaching. The TF scheme is not so complicated that it causes analysis paralysis with too many option routes or reads; HS teams implement it. You can’t drop passes at that rate & I think that falls on Austin. I watched my other school turn into a passing machine in 1 game using some receivers that couldn’t catch COVID19 last year and now look like All-SEC guys catching the ball. Maybe it’s having 2 receiving coaches, maybe it’s the drills (I hear they start running routes catching tennis balls) or maybe it’s the repetitions, but it was incredibly different. Whatever we are doing coaching wise is not working. You can’t have failed execution on top of our other limitations.

I assumed although it was against a conference opponent, since it wasn't part of the original schedule it would not be counted in the conference standings. Am I wrong?

I think you are on to something. There is something fundamentally flawed with our we technique coaching. The TF scheme is not so complicated that it causes analysis paralysis with too many option routes or reads; HS teams implement it. You can’t drop passes at that rate & I think that falls on Austin. I watched my other school turn into a passing machine in 1 game using some receivers that couldn’t catch COVID19 last year and now look like All-SEC guys catching the ball. Maybe it’s having 2 receiving coaches, maybe it’s the drills (I hear they start running routes catching tennis balls) or maybe it’s the repetitions, but it was incredibly different. Whatever we are doing coaching wise is not working. You can’t have failed execution on top of our other limitations.
Tennis ball drills work wonders on eye hand coordination for receivers. I’ve seen other drills (calling laces / spaces after catch, sideline drills, etc).
I worked with a HS kid a few times a few years ago. I threw to him going up the field while his d

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
ADVERTISEMENT