ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ (RV) UTSA (CBSSN), 7PM Friday, September 25, 2020

Well, it's working beautifully for us. LOL.

Ha.

Here’s where I will agree with you.

they can simplify it. Sad thing is, they try to simplify things - the look at me check to the sidelines is really to take some of the pre-snap read off the QB/Wr. The guys in the press box and on the sideline basically let our guys know the route combo, r/p option, or whatever to use against that defensive formation.

I don’t go back and breakdown film from these terrible games, but I do wonder how much of our play failure is just simply poor execution versus the play itself.

Last edited:
Is there a 8 on 8 college football league we can drop to?

didn’t watch it but was hoping for a win. Looks like same ole same ole.

EA...####tT

128-E6-A8-D-FB58-4-E2-A-BF46-AC55-DDE88-A24.jpg

Last edited:
It was encouraging to still be in a game after halftime. I watched the entire game and cheered until the final two point attempt failed.

Its one thing to stop giving. Let me tell you my friend it’s even more liberating to completely avoid it altogether. I wasn’t 100% successful. I did flip over after the Cards thrashed the Brewers. But I look forward to doing something completely different than watching our rival make this program look like a high school team next week. Even if that something is cleaning the garage.

You call a timeout to prep for your best two-point play and not only do you run something eerily similar to the two-point play that was unsuccessful before, but your receivers essentially take each other out. You can’t make this stuff up.

The issue was once again small execution issues. (No receiver names)

Our play was an old Steve Spurrier play from the 90s. Basically on the 3 by side, the 2 inside receivers are supposed to hitch and sit. The backside X runs a slant that turns into a cross behind those receivers. Edited to add: For JT, if you look at our OL blocking on the last 2 point play, it looks like a run block. My guess is it an RPO element was added.

Another part of the play execution fail is that the pulling LG was a bit late to pick up the blitzing LB, which caused OHara to rush his throw

So my guess - it was an RPO, UTSA had 7 in the box so we pass, Ohara wanted to go to the Y hitch, it was well covered, he got pressure so hurried a lob up to him instead of having time to look backside to the open X on a slant. The lob pass ran the Y into the crossing X and we get the incomplete pass.

Last edited:
Its one thing to stop giving. Let me tell you my friend it’s even more liberating to completely avoid it altogether. I wasn’t 100% successful. I did flip over after the Cards thrashed the Brewers. But I look forward to doing something completely different than watching our rival make this program look like a high school team next week. Even if that something is cleaning the garage.

You mean you didn’t get up this morning with an urge to write a check? We almost won that game and were in it to the final whistle. #E.A.T.T.

The issue was once again small execution issues. (No receiver names)

Our play was an old Steve Spurrier play from the 90s. Basically on the 3 by side, the 2 inside receivers are supposed to hitch and sit. The backside X runs a slant that turns into a cross behind those receivers. Edited to add: For JT, if you look at our OL blocking on the last 2 point play, it looks like a run block. My guess is it an RPO element was added.

Another part of the play execution fail is that the pulling LG was a bit late to pick up the blitzing LB, which caused OHara to rush his throw

So my guess - it was an RPO, UTSA had 7 in the box so we pass, Ohara wanted to go to the Y hitch, it was well covered, he got pressure so hurried a lob up to him instead of having time to look backside to the open X on a slant. The lob pass ran the Y into the crossing X and we get the incomplete pass.

And to add, it’s not all on the LG blocking either. He had the edge sealed for a run. When OHara pulled it out and hitch stepped to not throw the ball, he really didn’t have a chance.

moral of the story, the play was fine. If O’Hara looks left and makes a good throw on the slant as his first pass read, it’s a tie game.

And to add, it’s not all on the LG blocking either. He had the edge sealed for a run. When OHara pulled it out and hitch stepped to not throw the ball, he really didn’t have a chance.
I agree - it comes down to the players successfully executing plays.

The best coaches are able to develop teams that consistently execute at a high level.

Poorly coached teams are inconsistent.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I agree - it comes down to the players successfully executing plays.

The best coaches are able to develop teams that consistently execute at a high level.

Poorly coached teams are inconsistent.

That’s the thing. I feel we probably are fine X & Os most of the time.

We stink recruiting talent. We stink executing across the board. Our coaches make terrible decisions.

I was told years ago that former MT DC Ed Bunio wouldn't play a kid who made mistakes. Bunio always had great defenses. MT defenses fell off after he retired.

Stockstill doesn't demand on the field excellence. His teams make too many mistakes, regardless of talent.

Rick has basically decided that if we’re going to be the biggest joke of a program that he’s going to go all in.

Somebody needs to confiscate those thing neck gaiters from him and give him a regular mask or else him fiddling with those things every game are going to become a weekly joke on twitter. I don't think he realizes how ridiculous he looks and makes him appear more concerned about that thing than coaching his team.

I was told years ago that former MT DC Ed Bunio wouldn't play a kid who made mistakes. Bunio always had great defenses. MT defenses fell off after he retired.

Stockstill doesn't demand on the field excellence. His teams make too many mistakes, regardless of talent.
My position coach at Memphis St. made it very clear that if you busted a coverage and/ or gave up a deep shot, you were gonna sit for two series. Period.

That’s the thing. I feel we probably are fine X & Os most of the time.

We stink recruiting talent. We stink executing across the board. Our coaches make terrible decisions.

I'm gonna disagree to the fullest. Our X's and O's are not fine whatsoever. Our coaching is pathetic across the board. Strategy, postion coaching, strangth and conditioning, playcalling, leadership, etc. You name it. We need an overhaul. Tony needs to be in the pressbox. That would help now but other than that, we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
ADVERTISEMENT