ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Minnesota (Big Ten Network), 2:30 PM, Saturday, September 16, 2017

Come on dude. It wasn't really in the same ball park. Good luck the rest of the way.

We were without our best player and our other best player got hurt too. Congrats. Vandy is much better than Minny. They just beat a top 25 team and will be ranked on Monday.

Minny is a good team too. We ran the gauntlet and probably lost our QB for the year. It is what it is.

Last edited:
After looking at our stats, we only ran the ball 15 times yesterday and had a total of 40 plays on offense. We ran the empty back set like every pass play and threw that side to side crap. Richie got hurt by trying to run him up the middle. Duh.

If we want to run better, TF has to get creative and abandon some of his bad scheming. Here's some ideas....

1. How in the hell do you run consistently without any blocking TE's, FB's or pulling guards? Watch any that runs well and you'll see those elements. Minny, Vandy, Bama, Miss. St., Iowa, Michigan, etc. They all do this. You can do this from the gun. Minny does. WMU did it too under Fleck.

2. Convert 2 leaner OL into TE's. They wouldn't be involved in the pass game but you'd have a jumbo set to run out of. If you got 2 more biguns blocking, your chances go up like 50% that you get more yards. Undersized WR's ain't doing it.

3. Run more pistol. Move up 3 yards and your option pitches get faster and the rb exchanges get faster and harder to read as well.

4. Multi set and pre-snap movement. Sheesh. Move around. We line up in the same crap and it get's to be predictable. Also, it's not working.

5. Commit to Banks while Stock is down. He's better. Especially with the handoffs. Much sharper and quicker than Urzua.

6. Call Mallory into your office and lay it down. He's either got to get better protection and block downfield more or he's gone.

7. We have a FB. Activate him and practice lead blocking this week.

8. Time to commit to Gordon and Anderson more. They won't get better not being used. Lee needs to go back to being a slot WR. If we get them better blocking and better play construction, they will produce just fine.

At the end of the day, this is all about the stubbornness of TF. He knows every dang thing and isn't adjusting to what he has. It's time to change and support his players more with better play calling.

Reactions: Hop45
My thoughts:
1. first and foremost, when Brent gets back stop running him on designed run plays. Even though he is 220 lbs he has had 3 upper body injuries in two years.
2. Im still not convinced that our RB's are as bad the coaches say they are. I truly think its the oline. Im not convinced that I'tavius Mathers, Benny Cunningham, or Dwone Hicks could run successfully behind this line
3. We have a tight end on the roster. I don't expect him to make any plays in the passing game but we could use him as an extra blocker.

Guys, hate to break this to you but Franklin's system is built around a mobile QB (like Dasher) who can take a hit. Brent has been fragile since high school. Not questioning his toughness, just his durability if he has to take a pounding. And with this O-Line, he will continue to take a pounding. It is what it is unless the next Dasher walks through the front door of Murphy Center.

Reactions: VARaider84
Guys, hate to break this to you but Franklin's system is built around a mobile QB (like Dasher) who can take a hit. Brent has been fragile since high school. Not questioning his toughness, just his durability if he has to take a pounding. And with this O-Line, he will continue to take a pounding. It is what it is unless the next Dasher walks through the front door of Murphy Center.
It's working out great so far! LOL. </definition_of_insanity>

My thoughts:
1. first and foremost, when Brent gets back stop running him on designed run plays. Even though he is 220 lbs he has had 3 upper body injuries in two years.
2. Im still not convinced that our RB's are as bad the coaches say they are. I truly think its the oline. Im not convinced that I'tavius Mathers, Benny Cunningham, or Dwone Hicks could run successfully behind this line
3. We have a tight end on the roster. I don't expect him to make any plays in the passing game but we could use him as an extra blocker.
Unless Brent is Wolverine and has a regenerative healing factor, he's probably done for the year. I agree with everything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT