ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Minnesota (Big Ten Network), 2:30 PM, Saturday, September 16, 2017

The drought of 3rd down conversions and offensive woes still leave me with a lot of question marks. Maybe the Syracuse game sparked something but I will be interested on how we fire on O.

The win last week was a nice surprise.

Big Blue Peach, we like him.

We run two primary RBs - Rodney Smith and Brooks. Some fans have taken to calling them Slash and Bash; Brooks is Bash, as you saw in the video above. Smith is more slippery, full of jump cuts and spins; he is slash. Coach Fleck has done a good job of getting them on the field together in the first two games this year.

Minnesota has ran the ball 109 times in the last 2 games alone. We're expecting a heavy dose of that slash and bash combo this week. It's all about gap assignments and tackling plus sending an extra guy to the outside to watch the play action from the gun. We have our work cut out for us.

We won't run on Minny that much so we have got to create space and use short pass plays like a run play while taking care of the football. For Stock, if he plays, he has got to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less or hold the ball and go down. He turned it over twice needlessly last week.

It's gonna be another tough game. We have improved a lot from week 1. Let's see if we do from week 2.

Minnesota has ran the ball 109 times in the last 2 games alone. We're expecting a heavy dose of that slash and bash combo this week. It's all about gap assignments and tackling plus sending an extra guy to the outside to watch the play action from the gun. We have our work cut out for us.

We won't run on Minny that much so we have got to create space and use short pass plays like a run play while taking care of the football. For Stock, if he plays, he has got to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less or hold the ball and go down. He turned it over twice needlessly last week.

It's gonna be another tough game. We have improved a lot from week 1. Let's see if we do from week 2.

We are going to need to win the turnover battle at least +2 AND win the penalty battle, if we turn it over 3 times and have over 100 yds in stupid penalties then we are done. I am excited to see if our D can "limit" their running game. I know we can't stop it but I want to try to make them pass, now they may hit some big plays and still win but slowing their run game is important.

I think we'll play them much better than Oregon State. They couldn't tackle air. Buffalo held them in check but had no O. They lost to Army last week. Just as long as we compete and keep it reasonable. Minny is a good team with a lot of talent.

Quick hits from a MN Fan:

Offense is a work in progress. We know about the RB's which should be strengths so I'll keep that short. So. Tyler Johnson #6 looks to be the real deal at WR although not necessarily a burner. Already showing good instincts, routes, and hands and has elevated himself as the #1 target. OL needs to show they can dictate the run game like the second half against a weak Oregon State team. Too early to tell if Rhoda can be an upper level B1G QB, but looked much more comfortable his second game.

Defense has been surprisingly good the last couple of years. They are inexperienced at the corners so some big plays may be had there. I think the front 7 might actually be one of the better ones in the B1G. Last week OSU had a short field due to a QB turnover deep on the MN side of the field and was able to punch it in for a TD. They were held to an absurd 37 or so 2nd half offensive yards.

As far as the game plan, everything is going to start with the running game. I wouldn't expect the offense to look very flashy or win many style points.

I know Fleck expects a tough challenge and the Blue Raiders to be conference contenders. I'm interested to see how well your QB does because he is well respected.

MTSU will stay in this game if they can find a way to keep MN in 3rd and long situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Bow
Holy Crap! 45 to 16. They are taking us lightly.....and that is good. The good news for us is we figured out a way to limit Webb in the second half of the Vandy game. If the Gophers are to beat us....they must score 21 in the first half. Our D is definitely going to load the box. I'm ready baby!!!!

Holy Crap! 45 to 16. They are taking us lightly.....and that is good. The good news for us is we figured out a way to limit Webb in the second half of the Vandy game. If the Gophers are to beat us....they must score 21 in the first half. Our D is definitely going to load the box. I'm ready baby!!!!

They don't think much about our D...they are just looking at stats and not considering how it all has gone down.

I think our D will do enough for us to stay in the game, we really need our O to play a turnover free game and get some early TDs.

We have to throw vertical. Urzua isn't bad, he has to step up and throw downfield. Make them respect him. Until he does that, they will be all in his face.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT