ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Minnesota (Big Ten Network), 2:30 PM, Saturday, September 16, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
thread is a work in progress:

1.jpg

University of Minnesota
Founded: 1851 Enrollment: 48,231 (Undergraduates 28,942, Postgraduates 15,859, Doctoral 3,430)
Colors: Maroon and Gold Nickname: Golden Gophers Mascot: Goldy Gopher
Fight Song: The Minnesota Rouser
Series: UM leads 2-0
Stadium: TCF Bank (50,850) Surface: FieldTurf Revolution
Head Coach: P.J. Fleck (Northern Illinois, 2004) Record at UM: 2-0 Overall: 32-22 (5th)
2016 Record: 9-4 (5-4) Bowl: Holiday
Starters Ret./Lost: 14/8 Lettermen R/L: 45/26

Weather Forecast:

Where: TCF Bank Stadium, 420 SE 23rd Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Stadium Policies: TCF Bank Policies

Parking Guide: Single Game Parking Information

Television: BIG TEN NETWORK, Joe Benina (play-by-play), J Leman (analyst)

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), National: Sirius: 118, XM: 203, TuneIn App: Search Middle Tennessee

Streaming: Audio, BTN2Go

Live Stats: Gametracker

Newspapers: StarTribune, Pioneer Press, Minnesota Daily, ,

Message Boards: gopherhole.com, Gopher Report, ...

Blogs: The Daily Gopher, MN Gold Gophers (B/R), Gopher Blog (kfan), zonecoverage.com,

Athletic site:
gophersports.com, GoBlueRaiders.com

Media Guides:
Minnesota, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Minnesota 2017 SBNation Preview, Minnesota (Orlando Sentinel #44),, Middle Tennessee 2017 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #73),

Game Notes:
Minnesota Game Notes, MT game notes

Roster: Gophers, Blue Raiders

Game Previews:

Twitter: @GopherFootball, @GopherSports, , , , , , , ,

Hashtags:
#Gophers, #SkiUMah, #RTB, #BlueRaiders,..,

Facebook: Minnesota Football,

Youtube: Gopher Athletics,

Instagram:
Gopher Football,

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRaider95
Hoping that there is a heat wave that drains their players. Everyone knows that the gophers can't handle heat and humidity. Anyone got a weather forecast?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Their O is a hybrid spread offense. They are a balanced O like WMU was. That's the scheme anyway. They are running much more than passing right now because it's working for them and is setting up the pass really well. They've ran 109 rush attempts in just 2 games. They also average about 37 minutes of TOP. Yeah, good luck to us.

Oregon State is a bad and I mean really bad football team. O state got rolled by Colorado State and nearly beat by Portland State. Buffalo, Minny's first opponent is 0-2 and lost to Army allowing 322 yards of rushing. It's tough to know how good they are but they do play solid ball with good athletes.

Minny's D is tough (just about on a Vandy level at times) and is going to blitz us for the whole game. I thought Minny would be our toughest opponent and to be honest, I still think they will be. Their O is much better than Vandy's as a whole and the D is just a step below if even that. Not expecting a win. Hope I'm wrong. We're better than Oregon State. That I do know.

Last edited:
excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders look for another road victory to get a game above a .500 record. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders have won six of their last seven road games. Brent Stockstill is completing 59.7 percent of his passes for 435 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions. Stockstill has thrown three or more touchdowns in five of his last seven games. Richie James and Ty Lee have combined for 291 receiving yards and three touchdowns while Patrick Smith has five receptions. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders ground game is averaging 71.5 yards per contest, and Lee leads the way with 58 yards and one touchdown. Defensively, Middle Tennessee is allowing 25.5 points and 337.5 yards per game. Khalil Brooks leads the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders with 13 tackles, Walter Brady has two sacks and Reed Blankenship has one interception.

The Minnesota Golden Gophers look for another victory to build on their quick 2-0 start to the season. The Minnesota Golden Gophers have won four straight home games. Conor Rhoda is completing 67.9 percent of his passes for 334 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. Rhoda has three touchdown passes on his last 44 pass attempts. Tyler Johnson and Demetrius Douglas have combined for 308 receiving yards and two touchdowns while Rodney Smith has two receptions. The Minnesota Golden Gophers ground game is averaging 211 yards per contest, and Smith leads the way with 168 yards and one touchdown. Defensively, Minnesota is allowing 10.5 points and 243.5 yards per game. Antonio Shenault leads the Minnesota Golden Gophers with 18 tackles, Gary Moore has one sack and Jacob Huff has one interception.

The Blue Raiders are 5-12-1 ATS in their last 18 games on fieldturf, 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games in September and 4-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big Ten. The Golden Gophers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 home games, 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games in September and 3-1-2 ATS in their last 6 games overall. The under is 8-3 in Golden Gophers last 11 non-conference games and the over is 7-3 in Blue Raiders last 10 games overall.

Minnesota has been impressive in its first two games, which includes going on the road last week and waxing Oregon State, one of the tougher places to play in the country despite the Beavers struggles over the years.....

This will be an interesting game...I would like to see our offense improve and our D hanging in and keeping them under 30 points. If so, we have a chance.

I listened to Stock press conference today, expect to see Lee as our featured back. He was asked about Tucker and said pretty emphatically that he wasn't the answer. I do like lining up Lee and James all over the place. I think if our blocking can improve the O will eventually put up big numbers.

I don't think we match up well with Minnesota at all.

Not sure we matched up the other two times we played but they were competitive games. I think the difference is our D, if it continues to play like it has we can stay in the game.

I think the key is, we need to not beat ourselves, against both Vandy and Cuse, we had more turnovers and more penalties. If we can clean this up, who knows.

Not feeling good about this one. Their D is better than cuse and i worry that we wont put up enough points to keep up. I predicted 2-2 out of first four games, feeling pretty good about it. I say we drop this one by 17ish points and beat BGSU handily at home in front of 17k.

I agree with these assessments. Minny plays to our weaknesses like Vandy does. They average 37 minutes per game on Offense and they don't turn it over that often. I thought they would be our toughest game going into the season. Even though Vandy is the worst matchup for us and they are very much improved, Minny with PJ Fleck is the most complete team we will face. We will learn how good Vandy is this weekend as they begin their 4 game gauntlet.

I will say this. I think our run defense will keep them from doing what they like to do. Not having Brady in the first half will hurt our chances in getting them off of the field. Besides all of that, we don't know Brent's status yet. Urzua may be getting the start. If so, that changes a lot and we'll have to hope we don't get goose egged.

Stock said he was sore but fine so it looks like he is a go. Our defense will be ok. I have to pinch myself after saying that after all these years.

Can our offense score points against Minnesota? That is the question. Will our blocking be there? It is all about the line.

If we protect our QB, I think we have a good chance. If Brent is getting pressured every single play like he did the first two games, we will be in trouble.

I think Minnesota is between Syracuse and Vanderbilt. i don't think some of you realize how good Vanderbilt's defense is. The SEC will soon. Minnesota does not have Vandy's defense. Hard for me to predict the upset again two weeks in a row so I won't. Minnesota 35 MT28. I'm afraid Minny will take advantage of Brady being out and will score 21 in the first half.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Pioneer Press:
http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/1...s-win-over-gophers-as-a-branding-opportunity/
Middle Tennessee sees win over Gophers as a branding opportunity

...When Middle Tennessee beat Syracuse last week, it led to a victory cigar for MTSU defensive coordinator Scot Shafer, who was fired as Orange head coach in 2015 by then-athletics director Mark Coyle.

With Coyle now serving as Minnesota’s AD, Shafer could be eying a second stogie if his new team pulls off the upset Saturday.....

Reactions: MTsumner92
Last edited:
Reactions: MTBig Blue
Looks like one of the QBs that shared starting duties is either suspended or gone. The pocket passer of the group is starting...this could be helpful to us, apparently, Croft was the runner of the two.

Not any interest to speak of on the MN media's part in what Middle Tennessee brings to the matchup...

Last edited:
I think Minnesota is between Syracuse and Vanderbilt. i don't think some of you realize how good Vanderbilt's defense is. The SEC will soon. Minnesota does not have Vandy's defense. Hard for me to predict the upset again two weeks in a row so I won't. Minnesota 35 MT28. I'm afraid Minny will take advantage of Brady being out and will score 21 in the first half.

This is spot on for me. All of this is also assuming that Brent starts as well.

Reactions: MTsumner92
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT