ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ #25 Miami (FL), (ACCNetwork), 2:30PM, Saturday, September 24, 2022

Is it too early to ask the question, does a program defining win such as this catch the attention of the Sun Belt or AAC commissioners? Does it make them reappraise their prior decision to leave MT out of conference realignment proposal. Especially knowing the large $ investment that has been proposed for athletics. And if so would the administration even be interested. We appear to be very pro CUSA. Of course a lot would be dependent on how the season finishes. As pointed out, the one certainty about MT football has been its uncertainty.

Is it too early to ask the question, does a program defining win such as this catch the attention of the Sun Belt or AAC commissioners? Does it make them reappraise their prior decision to leave MT out of conference realignment proposal. Especially knowing the large $ investment that has been proposed for athletics. And if so would the administration even be interested. We appear to be very pro CUSA. Of course a lot would be dependent on how the season finishes. As pointed out, the one certainty about MT football has been its uncertainty.

I would say it makes them take notice. They might not have known about the upgrades etc but now they do. Then again if CM is worth a salt he is in constant contact with other ADs and conference commissioners.

And they may say rah rah CUSA but I'd wager if the SBC or AAC came a calling, we'd be gone. MAC was an outlier and honestly the right decision. I pushed for it because I loathe this new CUSA and want as f a r away from Judy as possible. But we are a southern school and staying in the conference did get us a bit of $.

The good news is butts in seats don't matter but it helps. If we say do win a championship and basketball has another good year, I think we will be gone with the new facilities commitment. This mess isn't over yet. We belong in the SBC and somewhere here I even posted a pod schedule idea. Here's hoping it happens.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Really does not matter which G5 conference we are in as long as we win. We need to build the brand and the facilities. These are the things we can control and the conference situation with sort itself out over the next 2 or 3 years. Don’t really think the Sunbelt is a viable option because I think we burned that bridge when we left before?

While the win was fun and everyone was talking MT for a week and the coaches/team deserves every bit of props we can give it this week - it really doesn't change the overall trajectory of the program, which is, until evidence to the contrary emerges, a flat line.

There will be more conference movement, guaranteed. IMHO, it's only a matter of time before the Pac-12(10?) breaks apart, and then there's going to be a scramble between AAC/MW/B12 to pick up some of the pieces. Spots will open up.

MT's problem has never been the fact that we couldn't win an eye-opener here and there. It's the fact that we're never able to put any momentum together to build off of it. Lose to UTSA and have the typical MT 6-6-ish season, and no one outside of Murfreesboro or Miami will remember what happened last Saturday.

Marshall and Ga Sothern are perfect examples. They got their big wins and a week later, they lose and no one cares now. We beat Miami but if we lose to UTSA, then it's "We aren't really that good after all". Now, we all know UTSA is the best CUSA program we've had in the conference in a long time but the public doesn't know how good they are nor do they care. It's how we will be viewed if we lose this game. Now if we win it, then the outlook on this staff is different. I'm expecting us to crap the bed just because we have a history of that. Can history change? We'll see. It's on them as it's always been. UTSA is good but they let Tex Southern put up over 400 yards and 24 points on them. Texas isn't as good as advertised either. It's set up to be a great game,

When Brent played it was like having a coach on the field who was better than the coaches on the sideline. Brent is going to be a great coach. I think better than dad
Pretty sure you will see that next season as the OC, because I would imagine Stewart will get hired away to somewhere more glamorous for next year, provided we don't tank the rest of the way. Same with Shafer.

We looked like deer in the headlights offensively at JMU. Hopefully what we did to extend field against the U wasn’t just an aberration. The future of the college game is moving in the same direction as baseball has.

Today, a .300 hitter is nice but means nothing. It’s all about exit velocity, launch angle, etc. Doesnt matter if you strike out 150 times if you hit 30 home runs. Same is happening with football. It’s all about eh big play. Josh Heupel is going to usher in a new era of football in a way we haven’t seen since Steve Spurrier. It’s ok if you go three and out half your possessions with two interceptions as long as you produce 10 or more plays of 30+ yards.

Dink and dunk is dead. That’s why Air Raids like Mike Leach are dying. And it’s why we beat Miami (even if it wasn’t necessarily by design).

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
The offense was not installed by the JMU game. I believe that 100%. The CSU game was different night and day. The players knew the O better and the O line blocked 100% better. Each week, the O is grasping the plan more and more. Brent has chase and the WR's dialed in much better since JMU. JMU's game plan and offense was fully installed. They knew exaclty what to do. Now, JMU just took out App st. to get the lead in the SBC. Texas A&M couldn't do that. We went in not ready and we got buzzsawed. However, we have responded in the best way possible. 3-0 since. 2 of those games were penciled in as losses. Not bad at all. Now it's all about UTSA.

This win reminds me of the ncaa tourney win over Michigan State, in terms of focus and execution, play and hustle, and the burst of national and local attention. That same basketball team played a good syracuse team next and lost.

Reactions: MTLynn and Hop45
This win reminds me of the ncaa tourney win over Michigan State, in terms of focus and execution, play and hustle, and the burst of national and local attention. That same basketball team played a good syracuse team next and lost.
I've thought the same thing.

Can we get this thread pinned up top next to the Michigan State thread?

i still want to know if chase changed the play on the 98 yard TD. He appeared to have changed the play. Wondering if it was a run and he changed it to a pass.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Typical MTSU luck, they finally beat a top 25 team, and it just HAS to be the 25th ranked team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT