ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee @ Coastal Carolina, 6PM, Monday, November 18, 2019

This is a rebuild- any thinking otherwise was simply not coming to terms with reality.. I know the staff is working to build the proper foundation for stability going forward.. is it all in place in year 2- NOPE and it would be unrealistic to expect that despite the obvious improvements in this years team. This team also would look very different with Dishman and Scurry in the rotation as others have noted- on both sides of the ball. That said CNM's initial challenge is in recruitment and it is much harder to recruit highly talented, athletic, offensive players than it is to recruit the down/dirty defenders.. the cupboard was pretty bare last year and I don't think anyone has major issues with the recruits to this point. Some guys haven't developed as much as I would like but those guys are all underclassmen right now- I'm willing to give them more time before I call them disappointing.. I wondering where at least one of the upperclassmen is at after displaying such improvement last year.. I think the staff are emphasizing the recruitment of offensive talent first but over time there will be more balance as CNM is able to implement the 4-year planning, peppered with some key 1-3 year transfer types, if you can get 1-2 offensive studs then you can take a few bruisers (defensive studs/offensive liabilities) to balance out things.. I know there are some wannabe recruiting experts here but trust me it's hard to find guys that play exceptionally well on both ends of the court at the D1 level..

I don't disagree with any here that are wanting a better defensive effort- but please don't disregard that there are several factors that exist in the game itself that are different now than what once was.. namely the current rules emphasis and the current HS player's mindset that are at odds with that as a priority.. offensive freedom is a major highlight and especially in early season games we see a lot of whistle-fest type games.. as the season goes on you don't see as many of these whistle-happy games and guys can get away with stuff in the conference slate that they simply call differently in the OOC schedules. That said, the defensive footwork was pathetic and a lot of that is effort- but some of that is fatigue (short bench equals more minutes, less rest).. most of the stuff I saw in the CCU game was just bad/lazy decisions- a lot of swinging at shots and bringing their hands down for easy calls.. it'll be interesting to see what changes vs Nova before some folks here walk off the ledge in this early portion of the schedule...

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
As a former HS coach with average, at best, athletes, I respectfully disagree... Yes, Defense is a good number of things but without a very High level/percentage of desire, all the fundamentals and raw talent does not equate into an excellent "D"...
My teams were always known and respected for their aggressive Man D from top to buzzer, every game... because it was a mindset instilled from Day 1...

Last edited:
Reactions: amgtmom
As a former HS coach with average, at best, athletes, I respectfully disagree... Yes, Defense is a good number of things but without a very High level/percentage of desire, all the fundamentals and raw talent does not equate into an excellent "D"...
My teams were always known and respected for their aggressive Man D from top to buzzer, every game... because it was a mindset instilled from Day 1...

PREACH!!!!!!

This is a rebuild- any thinking otherwise was simply not coming to terms with reality.. I know the staff is working to build the proper foundation for stability going forward.. is it all in place in year 2- NOPE and it would be unrealistic to expect that despite the obvious improvements in this years team. This team also would look very different with Dishman and Scurry in the rotation as others have noted- on both sides of the ball. That said CNM's initial challenge is in recruitment and it is much harder to recruit highly talented, athletic, offensive players than it is to recruit the down/dirty defenders.. the cupboard was pretty bare last year and I don't think anyone has major issues with the recruits to this point. Some guys haven't developed as much as I would like but those guys are all underclassmen right now- I'm willing to give them more time before I call them disappointing.. I wondering where at least one of the upperclassmen is at after displaying such improvement last year.. I think the staff are emphasizing the recruitment of offensive talent first but over time there will be more balance as CNM is able to implement the 4-year planning, peppered with some key 1-3 year transfer types, if you can get 1-2 offensive studs then you can take a few bruisers (defensive studs/offensive liabilities) to balance out things.. I know there are some wannabe recruiting experts here but trust me it's hard to find guys that play exceptionally well on both ends of the court at the D1 level..

I don't disagree with any here that are wanting a better defensive effort- but please don't disregard that there are several factors that exist in the game itself that are different now than what once was.. namely the current rules emphasis and the current HS player's mindset that are at odds with that as a priority.. offensive freedom is a major highlight and especially in early season games we see a lot of whistle-fest type games.. as the season goes on you don't see as many of these whistle-happy games and guys can get away with stuff in the conference slate that they simply call differently in the OOC schedules. That said, the defensive footwork was pathetic and a lot of that is effort- but some of that is fatigue (short bench equals more minutes, less rest).. most of the stuff I saw in the CCU game was just bad/lazy decisions- a lot of swinging at shots and bringing their hands down for easy calls.. it'll be interesting to see what changes vs Nova before some folks here walk off the ledge in this early portion of the schedule...

I don't disagree with anything you say here, except I don't see anyone walking off a ledge. Everyone here, for the most part, has been fair and reasonable with McDevitt. We don't like the circumstances after nearly a decade of insane success, but we understand Kermit F'd the program on the way out the door and McDevitt needs time to get it rolling again.

The million dollar question is, what's a fair timeline to expect a CUSA Tournament Championship/ NCAA tournament appearance? 3 years? 4 years?

It does take time to build a basketball team, we all get that, but MT also has a lot of goodwill and ability to bring in better recruits now because of the previous success as evidenced by Kermit's final signing class (that bailed) and now some of the players McDevitt is bringing in. So with all that said talent, when does the fruit come to bear? I think it's pretty reasonable to expect a serious contender in years 3 and 4. If we are going on year 5 without a championship I'm going to have some serious concerns and that seems fair to me considering the previous success. McDevitt had to know the expectations would be high after what Kermit did. And everyone is being fair about it. But make no mistake we all expect championships and big OOC wins after he has been given reasonable time.

And going back to the defensive talk, very few teams have been able to be successful in CUSA without a legit D. Defense travels, and on those nights when the shots are not falling you HAVE to be able to D up to get the W. We are not going to go out and just out-athletic everyone on the offensive side of the ball and win championships running up and down the floor playing globetrotter ball. I can guarantee you that won't happen and I pray McDevitt is not banking on that because it's been tried in this league and failed miserably.

Last edited:

But that contradicts what you first said.

You said it's primarily desire. Now, you admit it's a bunch of other things including desire, so actually you didn't disagree. You agreed.

That said I didn't specifically mention raw talent and fundamentals but those are two I would say are needed among some other attributes. Here's thing about those two. One is innate. The other is taught and coached. I can also argue that you can't have an excellent defense with all the desire and heart in the world without those. But perhaps more importantly than all that is how is the culture and mindset instilled by the coaching staff on that side of the ball. Playing offense is easy. Everyone wants to play offense. Defense is harder to play, so yeah desire is important but it starts with coaching and I believe that's where we are missing. CNM simply does not have a culture or history of being defensively hard nosed coach.

And given this program is in the place it's in where he doesn't have the athletes and depth across the board to operate his offensive philosophy and we don't have the level of talent to win just on athleticism he should be focusing on defense a lot more. We should be reducing possessions in the game, slow down, and keep games within reach instead of watching them spiral out of control like the other night. So, while I also agree that coaching can fix that part of the problem I don't think we have a coach that currently views life that way and is willing to do it.

Last edited:
This thread makes me more pissed as ever about Davis...that cat simply did not build a program, actually he devastated us with no talent at the end despite being here forever.

This is a complete rebuild as others have said. I see progress.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
This thread makes me more pissed as ever about Davis...that cat simply did not build a program, actually he devastated us with no talent at the end despite being here forever.
He did use a lot a transfers during his tenure (and would bring in shady characters) BUT his last class had three very talented freshmen.

I think he would sign transfers when they were more talented than any freshmen he could sign. Finally, after much on court success, he was able to sign freshmen who were as talented as any transfer - and then he left for the $ec.

Yeah, it sucks that the three freshmen left before they got to campus, and the shady characters were dismissed, but I think McDevitt will get'er done and rebuild the program.

ADVERTISEMENT