ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Bowling Green State (ASN/ESPN3), 11AM CT, Saturday, September 17, 2016

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

Bowling Green State University
Founded: 1910 Enrollment: 16,912 (2015) Acceptance rate: 53.4% (2014)
Colors: Brown and Orange Nickname: Falcons Mascot Freddie and Frieda Falcon
Fight song "Forward Falcons" & "Ay Ziggy Zoomba"
Series:
First Meeting
Stadium: Doyt L. Perry Stadium, (capacity 24,000)
Head Coach: Mike Jinks (Angelo State, 1994) Record at BG: First Season
2015 Record: 10-4 Bowl: GoDaddy Bowl (2015)
Starters Ret./Lost: 10/12 Lettermen R/L: 43/15

Weather Forecast: Scattered Thunderstorms, 78°/ 80% precip SW 14 mph

Where: Doyt L. Perry Stadium, 1600 Stadium Drive, Bowling Green, OH 43403 (Gates Open: 9:30 a.m. CT)

Stadium Policies Doyt Stadium A to Z - No bags or purses larger than 10" x 7" are allowed inside the stadium. Coolers of any size, glass containers or cans of any kind, alcoholic beverages, food or beverages, picnic baskets, lawn chairs, weapons of any kind (including off-duty police weapons, pipes or poles of any size, or chains), fireworks, aerosol cans, animals – except certified service animals, bicycles, scooters, roller skates of any type, including skateboards, and backpacks are not permitted inside the stadium.

Television: ASN/ESPN3, Comcast: Channel 228, DirecTV: Channel 628, Dish: Channel 412-30, AT&T U-verse: Channel 1711

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville)

Streaming: Audio, Video

Live Stats: sidearmstats.com/bgsu/football/

Newspapers: Sentinel Tribune, Toledo Blade, BG Falcon Media,

Message Boards: Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com, , , ,

Blogs: Falcon Blog (Orange and Brown), Hustle Belt,

Athletic site:
bgsufalcons.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: BGSU, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Bowling Green 2016 SBNation Preview,
Bowling Green Falcons 2016 Sports Chat Place College Football Preview, Bowling Green (Orlando Sentinel #53), Middle Tennessee 2016 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #63), Middle Tennessee 2016 Season Preview

Game Notes:
BGSU game notes, MT game notes

Roster: Falcons, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @BGathletics, @BG_Football, @CoachJinksBGSU, @JordanStrack, @Coach_MBrock, @Bgsufalconclub, @BGScreechTeam, @BGSUfsp, ,

Hashtags:
#AyZiggy, #BlueRaiders, #MTvsBG, #BeatBG,

Facebook:
BGSUAthletics, BGSUFootball

Youtube: FalconAthletics,

Instagram:
bgfalcons,

Last edited:
The opening line on the Bowling Green game was -1.5 but it has gone up to -3.5. Middle Tennessee will annihilate Bowling Green. As a MAC fan, I was hoping the Falcons would continue their dominance but it doesn't appear it's going to happen under first year coach Mike Jinks. From what I have read, the Falcons lack discipline. Below are some comments from disgruntled Falcon fans regarding the performance against North Dakota.

"Worst D I've seen in a long time."

"Not saying I could but I might be able to get open against the BG defense."

"We certainly look like a poorly coached team...I'm all for playing fast, but there needs to be some fundamentals and execution. We look like a bunch of elementary students playing football at recess."

"For those of you not at the game, there is very little coaching going on during the game. Almost all the coaches are standing on the sideline with there arms folded just like the rest of us. I'm sitting with a group of HS coaches and they all agree.
Very sad"

I was critical of Jinks when some of his players knelt during the National Anthem at the Ohio State game. Whether you agree with my politics or not, I hope most of you would agree that Jinks should have been more aware of his players' actions during the National Anthem. Below is what I posted on KentSportsReport.com and Facebook.

During the national anthem before yesterday's Ohio State/Bowling Green game, at least six Bowling Green Falcons took a knee in the end zone similar to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. All except one player eventually stood, but they stared into the ground or grandstands or did stretching exercises. Although Bowling Green's head coach, Mike Jinks, said he was unaware of the protest, I believe with as much attention that Kaepernick's protest has been given over the last ten days, college and professional head coaches should have addressed it before the first game (see below). Given the discipline that Coach Haynes has instilled in his players, I would be really surprised to see any of them refuse to stand during the national anthem.

Note: The link to the Bowling Green Falcons football sports board is below. It appears to be fairly active and should provide some interesting reading.

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3

They are a very similar program to us...this is a 50-50 game. Our problem is ourselves; we can't continue to turnover the ball and make so many mental errors and beat anyone.

I said at the beginning of the year, BGSU would be a 50-50 game and after this past Saturday it still is.

Next week is a must win to get some momentum back and improve.

I watched the end of BGSU's game yesterday, while we were in a lightning delay. A very bad North Dakota team scored at the end, but elected to go for two and failed, instead of kicking and going to OT. If this was a home game, I'd think we were a safe pick, but on the road it's anyone's guess. I think we still win, but don't ask me to put a wager on it.

for those Blue Raider fans who have the stomach to travel to a second consecutive road game after the first road debacle, you will be happy to know this about the BGSU stadium:

Alcohol (Beer) is sold at select stands on both east and west concourses. Alcohol may not be brought into the stadium.

Reactions: C-Bow
It really doesn't matter at this point. We just gave up 47 points to Vanderbilt, one of the worst offenses (and teams) in the country. Simply pathetic.

You think we have a chance @ Marshall (Doesn't lose @ home) and hosting a WKU that's reloaded? La. Tech has reloaded as well and should beat us too.

excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders go on the road to battle the Bowling Green Falcons in week three action.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders struggled to get stops against offensively challenged Vanderbilt and were handed a 47-24 defeat that was never close after the first quarter. The numbers were deceiving with MTSU rolling up almost 500 yards with the Commodores checking in with 344 yards. The Blue Raiders run game consisted of 65 yards on 13 carries from I’Tavius Mathers which left the team entirely dependent on the passing attack. Middle Tennessee quarterback Brent Stockstill who connected on 38-65 for 399 yards with three touchdowns and an interception with Richie James hauling in 14 catches for 183 yards and a one yard score.

The Bowling Green Falcons stopped a two point conversion in the closing seconds to squeeze by FCS North Dakota 27-26 in their opener. The Falcons won the yardage battle 417-388 but gave the ball away three times and had it for less then 24 minutes. Falcons quarterback James Knapke had a mixed day on 23-40 for 315 yards and three touchdowns and a pair of interceptions while James Morgan was 1-2 with another pick. Scott Miller led BGSU with five receptions for 161 yards and three scores but there was very little production on the ground. Josh Cleveland led Bowling Green on the ground with 44 yards on eleven carries but the offense didn’t run often and were not effective when they did.

The Blue Raiders are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 versus the MAC and the under is 5-0 in Blue Raiders last 5 games following a straight up loss of more than 20 points while the Blue Raiders are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games following a straight up loss of more than 20 points. The Falcons are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating more than 280 yards passing in their previous game and are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games after accumulating less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game while the Falcons are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS loss. This looks risky regardless of the side…..

I would rate it one of the easiest ingress/egress venues in all of college football. Right off the interstate and loads of parking. There is a large Buffalo Wild Wings directly across the street from the main entrance to the stadium. One of the better road game trips I made last year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
It really doesn't matter at this point. We just gave up 47 points to Vanderbilt, one of the worst offenses (and teams) in the country. Simply pathetic.

You think we have a chance @ Marshall (Doesn't lose @ home) and hosting a WKU that's reloaded? La. Tech has reloaded as well and should beat us too.

Well, we didn't give up 47 points. We gave them 23 points. There is a difference. We turned the ball over twice with one of them being a pick 6 (should have been). We gave up 2 long returns that set them up for 2 easy scores and we gave up a safety on a stupid punt debacle. None of that was Vandy's offense. A 50 yard return with a penalty attached to it ain't their offense. That was us not being focused or being gelled as a team.

If we clean up the sloppy play, 16-23 points that we gave goes away. It's the little things and we'll improve. It was a weird a$$ game. There was nothing normal about it. We'll get better. Sheesh.

WKU lost to BAMA by the same score we did last year. LaTech just beat up a FCS team like us. Yay! They are the same as we are. If Vandy beats WKU in 2 weeks then none of this crap matters and trust me, Vandy will run on WKU.

We'll play better this week. Those practices will be intense.

Bowling Green should have lost to an FCS team that only put up 9 points on a "Stony Brook" the week before. BG surrendered 26 to ND. Not NDSU. These guys are the bad North Dakota team.

Say what you want about Vandy but they have a good D and a SEC legit running back with huge players. BG has none of that. Their D is soft. They are us basically.

It will be a shootout and we will execute much better this week. I'm calling the win.

Well, we didn't give up 47 points. We gave them 23 points. There is a difference. We turned the ball over twice with one of them being a pick 6 (should have been). We gave up 2 long returns that set them up for 2 easy scores and we gave up a safety on a stupid punt debacle. None of that was Vandy's offense. A 50 yard return with a penalty attached to it ain't their offense. That was us not being focused or being gelled as a team.

If we clean up the sloppy play, 16-23 points that we gave goes away. It's the little things and we'll improve. It was a weird a$$ game. There was nothing normal about it. We'll get better. Sheesh.

WKU lost to BAMA by the same score we did last year. LaTech just beat up a FCS team like us. Yay! They are the same as we are. If Vandy beats WKU in 2 weeks then none of this crap matters and trust me, Vandy will run on WKU.

We'll play better this week. Those practices will be intense.

Rationalize it anyway you like. We got our @$$ beat. 47 points is 47 points. WKU will beat Vanderbilt, again. And La. Tech for all intents and purposes beat Arkansas, who just went and cleaned TCU's clock. Marshall, WKU, and La. Tech all looking better than we are right now.

So we're done? No need to play the rest of the games. One game seasons sure are quick. You do this every year. Same crap.

I think Vandy is stronger than we gave em credit for. they are gonna power run it on WKU just like they did us. We'll see but I can see them beating GT and then beating WKU.

Rationalize it anyway you like. We got our @$$ beat. 47 points is 47 points. WKU will beat Vanderbilt, again. And La. Tech for all intents and purposes beat Arkansas, who just went and cleaned TCU's clock. Marshall, WKU, and La. Tech all looking better than we are right now.

Our loss to Vandy is no different than LT loss to Arkansas...its a loss, there are no moral victories.

Getting ran off the field (literally) against one of the most incompetent offenses in the country is not the same as losing by 1 point @ Arkansas. A loss is a loss, sure, but La. Tech played a good game of ball and showed they are capable of hanging with anyone.

We looked like the same team we have every year. Move the ball well, but mistake after mistake to ensure our own demise. 2 games into the season what makes this season look any different than the last 5? It's just gonna be another 2nd place finish in CUSA followed by a bowl game loss. Tell me I'm wrong.

After Vandy, I am hesitant to have any faith in the team, but we should beat BGSU by a lot. Our defense is actually pretty good and our offense CAN put up points. However, if we have another stupidity contest we may very well lose.

This is the 50th season of the bgsu stadium and they have new turf and other upgrades to the stadium...

Untitled_zpsolesyr4q.jpg

Reactions: MT Glenn
After Vandy, I am hesitant to have any faith in the team, but we should beat BGSU by a lot. Our defense is actually pretty good and our offense CAN put up points. However, if we have another stupidity contest we may very well lose.
Yet that was one of the main goals of the offseason fumbling ect

I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring theme this season

Outkick The Coverage pick:

MTSU at Bowling Green, the over 72.

MTSU has no defense and neither does Bowling Green.

I know it's a big number, but these teams are both blowing through it.

Trust me, this weekend is made for overs.

Solid write up. He has done his homework.

Yes he has. I do think we are being underestimated a bit which is nice. Vandy didn't score those points on us, we gave them those points. 2 blown KR's, muffed punt for a safety, penalties out the frame, fumble and a near pick 6 (4 yards away) is what done us in. Their offense had nothing to do with that.

If we clean up half that, we will punch these guys in the face pretty hard. I think we'll run better on them too. I'tavius is due. The spread will work to our advantage this week and our D defends that everyday. Their size is like ours. It will be a good game.

On the positive side, we did score more on a Derek Mason defense than a lot of SEC teams have and only 3 points less than what Ole Miss did last year after beating Bama. They have a pretty good defense and we did it with freshmen, sophomores and a walk-on. We have the talent to be good, we just got to clean up our act.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
BGSU injury report from the Toledo Blade:

INJURY REPORT: The good news on offense is RB Fred Coppet, WR Ronnie Moore, and C Tim McAuliffe, who were injured against North Dakota, practiced Wednesday and are probable for Saturday’s game against Middle Tennessee.

On defense, LB Austin Valdez did not practice Wednesday and is day-to-day. DL Grant Coffey and rover Ben Hale did not practice and are doubtful for Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT