ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (9-6, 2-2) vs North Texas (12-3, 3-1), 5PM, Saturday, January 7, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 40,796
Arena: The Super Pit (10,500)
Colors: Kelly Green & White Nickname: Mean Green
Head Coach: Grant McCasland
Record at School: 104-58 (6th Season) Career Record: 124-70 (7th Season)
2021-22 Record: 25-7, 16-2 2021-22 Finish: 1st C-USA 2021-22 Postseason: NIT Second Round
Starters R/L: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 8/7

Anyone else gonna watch Kermit and Ole Miss @ Miss St on CBS after this Vandy @ Mizzou nail biter is over?
I’m switching back and forth from KY @ Bama on ESPN. Great day for college basketball and Titans tonight.

Anyone else gonna watch Kermit and Ole Miss @ Miss St on CBS after this Vandy @ Mizzou nail biter is over?
I’m switching back and forth from KY @ Bama on ESPN. Great day for college basketball and Titans tonight.
Kermit lost what’s left of his fanbase support today. Just search his name on social media.

If he doesn’t make a major turnaround and run into the NCAAs, he wont be the Ole Miss HC in April.

I watched most of that game. That didn't even look like a Kermit coached team. It's a head scratcher to me. Is Ole Miss that tough of a job with too much of a disadvantage in the $EC? I say that with Kennedy in mind now at the top of C-USA.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Mcdevitt blew the big lead we had on NT with too much substitution. He had too many of our scorers on the bench. No one is in foul trouble. On a night we are actually shooting well. He immediately takes out Dishman and Lawrence who were playing well. Terrible first half coaching.

That last 6 min. was ugly. 15-2 UNT.
Hope the home team gets it together at halftime or they will get run out at home.
Place looks like a ghost town. Lotsa empty blue plastic down low and locked up bleachers.

Last edited:
Mcdevitt blew the big lead we had on NT with too much substitution. He had too many of our scorers on the bench. No one is in foul trouble. On a night we are actually shooting well. He immediately takes out Dishman and Lawrence who were playing well. Terrible first half coaching.
What happens when a coach feels it's more important to be a buddy & be liked by everyone, than be a coach who desires team victory. They sometimes sacrifice their own teams momentum by placating the individual. We've seen it mentioned how much the players like him, this is the downside of sometimes being more of a buddy than coach. It happens

Reactions: dukewayne
Decided to finally take in a BB game. I see that McDevitt is still clueless and he’s affirmed last year was a fluke. Couldn’t follow it up. My shocked face.

• Haha
Pissed away a 19 pt. 1st half lead. Unreal.
Pissed away a 19 pt. 1st half lead. Unreal.
That's all on Mcdevitt. Blowing a 19 pt lead at home. Is insane. Also our offense is terrible. Guys standing around.

He is on the radio now and sounds excited about just being in the game. Talking North Texas up like they are some storied program that we don't belong on the floor with. He might want to look at the head to head match-up and see how far a head we were untill he started coaching here.

At this point I see us going 5-10 the rest of the way. Don't think we win any of the away games other than FIU. Just look at the UTSA game as an example of how terrible we are on the road. That will give us a losing regular season record of 14- 17.

I watched most of that game. That didn't even look like a Kermit coached team. It's a head scratcher to me. Is Ole Miss that tough of a job with too much of a disadvantage in the $EC? I say that with Kennedy in mind now at the top of C-USA.

Kennedy was a lot better at Ole Miss than Kermit is for a lot less money.

CKD caught lightening in a bottle in his 10th season in M’boro. He was lucky to be around long enough to see it happen - because he would have been fired well before then at any school other than here or Northwestern. He turned it into a payday, but moving was not the best coaching decision.

Maybe CNM will put it all together in year 10. At this point I would settle for not blowing 19 point leads at home.

I miss sWiley.
Wonder if he took the Blue Raiders and the +3 at home?
Oh man, that was savage.

Haven't seen him around here since he threw up the deuces and peaced out. If I recall correctly, it was basketball, not football, that had him throwing up the deuces.

With these last two bad losses, it's starting to look like this season is starting to head in the wrong direction. I had hoped for a strong start to the season with all the returning talented players. That didn't happen.

I then hoped it would just take a few weeks to get a feel for their roles especially for a floor general to emerge. The results were mixed. The Belmont game struck me as the more hopeful moment in the early season. Since that time, it's become increasingly clear that the same mistakes and poor discipline just were not being corrected. I'm afraid that lack of accountability has come home to roost now that the grind of conference play has arrived in a strong C-USA season.

Again, the lack of accountability from the leadership of the university has seemed to become endemic throughout the institution. One gets the feeling that there just isn't much energy surrounding the basketball program right now. Reminiscent of football.

This is a good indicator of the current state of MTSU Athletics in its own backyard.

The online version of today’s DNJ:
Under “Blue Raiders”:
Blue Raider WBB story on rising in rankings from Dec.
The bowl game win in Hawaii

Under “Sports”:
Story on Rick Barnes
Story on Vandy loss at Mizzou

Nothing on yesterday’s MBB loss, actually nothing MTSU related since Dec.

From the hometown news publication.

Last edited:
With these last two bad losses, it's starting to look like this season is starting to head in the wrong direction. I had hoped for a strong start to the season with all the returning talented players. That didn't happen.

I then hoped it would just take a few weeks to get a feel for their roles especially for a floor general to emerge. The results were mixed. The Belmont game struck me as the more hopeful moment in the early season. Since that time, it's become increasingly clear that the same mistakes and poor discipline just were not being corrected. I'm afraid that lack of accountability has come home to roost now that the grind of conference play has arrived in a strong C-USA season.

Again, the lack of accountability from the leadership of the university has seemed to become endemic throughout the institution. One gets the feeling that there just isn't much energy surrounding the basketball program right now. Reminiscent of football.
Unfortunately i think your right. Im stunned.

Unfortunately i think your right. Im stunned.
After the UTSA loss, & now a 25 point turn around collapse at home unfortunately I believe the year is virtually over for this team. Their self confidence appears to be broken. Disappointing for a team with such high hopes.

This is a good indicator of the current state of MTSU Athletics in its own backyard.

The online version of today’s DNJ:
Under “Blue Raiders”:
Blue Raider WBB story on rising in rankings from Dec.
The bowl game win in Hawaii

Under “Sports”:
Story on Rick Barnes
Story on Vandy loss at Mizzou

Nothing on yesterday’s MBB loss, actually nothing MTSU related since Dec.

From the hometown news publication.
They RARELY have stories in the DNJ on any MT games. Shocked there was anything in there on the women. Only way we get an article is if the Tennessean has one they pick up. Just look at contacts on the DNJ website…only about 3 people actually work there. Sad. Murfreesboro Post has more local coverage in their weekly edition than DNJ had in a month.

What happens when a coach feels it's more important to be a buddy & be liked by everyone, than be a coach who desires team victory. They sometimes sacrifice their own teams momentum by placating the individual. We've seen it mentioned how much the players like him, this is the downside of sometimes being more of a buddy than coach. It happens
Returning to highlight this again as it is my opinion that this exactly is a clear overriding factor in failing to achieve higher levels of success.

I really like and respect that CNM values quality of relationships with his team members. In order to sustain high levels of success, one with such positive traits still must be able to throw out friendships as soon as the whistle blows. The moment the feet leave the court of play, the relationship priority can return. Not everyone is capable of turning that on and off consistently each and every day at the drop of a dime. In my opinion though, that sort of discipline, toughness, and competitive hard edge are essential to sustain high levels of success.

ADVERTISEMENT