ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (9-5, 2-1) @ UTSA (6-8, 0-3), 7PM, Thursday, January 5, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 34,742
Arena: Convocation Center (2,650)
Colors: Navy Blue, Orange & White Nickname: Roadrunners
Head Coach: Steve Henson
Record at School: 89-101 (7th Season)
Career Record: 89-101 (7th Season)
2021-22 Record: 10-22, 3-15 2021-22 Finish: 6th 2021-22 Postseason: C-USA First Round
Starters R/L: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 8/6

Last edited:
How did we get curb stomped by Charlotte?

The game was a lot closer than the final score. It was 5-7 point game most of the time until McDevitt got two Ts and ejected resulting in a four-point swing and a double digit lead. From there, subsequent intentional fouls sending them to the FT line increased the deficit.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Raiders may come back, but looking bad down 9 in 2nd half. Lost confidence in this team's ability to play a complete game away from home.

Terrible loss. We played terrible defense and terrible offense. I guess our guys thought all they had to do was show up to win. Still a mentally weak team.

Raiders may come back, but looking bad down 9 in 2nd half. Lost confidence in this team's ability to play a complete game away from home.
Looks like all the away games are most likely going to be L's. If they cant win games against the dregs of the conference there is no way they are going to win against the good teams.

Reactions: ewglenn
Looks like all the away games are most likely going to be L's. If they cant win games against the dregs of the conference there is no way they are going to win against the good teams.
After the Belmont game had some hopes for the guys, but Charlotte & UTSA games seem to be showing our true colors. Good athletes, but on court play shows we easily get rattled for way too long extended periods of time. Happened even against WKU at home. Entire 1st half couldn't hit broad side of a barn, but after halftime settled down & hit everything. Should be showing signs of growth by now, but the lack of mental maturity is holding them back from playing complete games.
Would normally be more disappointed, but the ladies recent play & 9 game winning streak has me pretty happy.

After the Belmont game had some hopes for the guys, but Charlotte & UTSA games seem to be showing our true colors. Good athletes, but on court play shows we easily get rattled for way too long extended periods of time. Happened even against WKU at home. Entire 1st half couldn't hit broad side of a barn, but after halftime settled down & hit everything. Should be showing signs of growth by now, but the lack of mental maturity is holding them back from playing complete games.
Would normally be more disappointed, but the ladies recent play & 9 game winning streak has me pretty happy.

This team is what it is by now. We will play tough some games and maybe upset some of the better teams at home, but were not going to win the tournament. We just don't have any shooters and no real consistent scoring threat. We also have a low basketball IQ as a team. Silly turnovers and stupid fouls plague this team. No NCAA or NIT tournament this year.

I agree; I don't think it's an overreaction to go ahead and say it's unlikely to play in any meaningful postseason tourney this year. Like TrueBlue said, it would not surprise me at all to beat one of the top teams this year as well, the team as the talent to do that. Inconsistent play and long dry spells results in Ls no matter the opponent.

The team has potential but I doubt we play meaningful postseason games. Should be above .500 this season but scoring is going to be tough to come by. Need to get some pure shooters to help next season.

Reactions: MTFAN61
The team has potential but I doubt we play meaningful postseason games. Should be above .500 this season but scoring is going to be tough to come by. Need to get some pure shooters to help next season.
Above .500. I'm figuring around finishing the regular season around 18-13. He's got at least 17 games remaining (16 reg season). Would be nice to hit 20 wins, which I think should be the standard set.

Was hoping he'd finish year 5 at above .500 overall after last year, but it won't be an easy task. He's 59-78 right now. Would mean playing almost perfect ball the rest of the season.

Rest of this month will tell the tale. After UNT Sat we will still have UAB and Charlotte at home, with a much improved Rice and FAU on the road.

Reactions: ewglenn and MTFAN61
This team is what it is by now. We will play tough some games and maybe upset some of the better teams at home, but were not going to win the tournament. We just don't have any shooters and no real consistent scoring threat. We also have a low basketball IQ as a team. Silly turnovers and stupid fouls plague this team. No NCAA or NIT tournament this year.
I think you are pretty much on target. I also agree they will likely beat one of the best teams, but they will likely lose to teams to which they have have no business losing.

Someone on here recently said this is a good team but not a great team. I think that is exactly right. Frustratingly this team has the talent to be a great team, but they just don't put that great performance together consistently night in and night out.

I'm sad to say that for me the malaise, indifference, apathy, and generally directionless university leadership has started to rub off on my overall attitude towards basketball. This has long been the case with football, and I was afraid this attitude would seep into basketball. For me, it has.

MT bball went from bottom of the barrel to a great run last season. I give the coaches and players credit for the turnaround. It was a great run, but not necessarily a great team eg NCAA Tournament type team. With CNM keeping the team together, I had really hoped this team would hit the ground running this season into a great season and great team. Instead, there is too much inconsistency especially marked by a lack of discipline and too many stretches of poor focus and effort.

While I'm not hating on this team, I'm not all fired up expecting great things either. I'm guessing I'll generally keep up with the team this season, but it's just sad and disappointing in that the low energy seemingly indifferent university leadership seems to be effectively seeping into almost all areas of MT life.

I think you are pretty much on target. I also agree they will likely beat one of the best teams, but they will likely lose to teams to which they have have no business losing.

Someone on here recently said this is a good team but not a great team. I think that is exactly right. Frustratingly this team has the talent to be a great team, but they just don't put that great performance together consistently night in and night out.

I'm sad to say that for me the malaise, indifference, apathy, and generally directionless university leadership has started to rub off on my overall attitude towards basketball. This has long been the case with football, and I was afraid this attitude would seep into basketball. For me, it has.

MT bball went from bottom of the barrel to a great run last season. I give the coaches and players credit for the turnaround. It was a great run, but not necessarily a great team eg NCAA Tournament type team. With CNM keeping the team together, I had really hoped this team would hit the ground running this season into a great season and great team. Instead, there is too much inconsistency especially marked by a lack of discipline and too many stretches of poor focus and effort.

While I'm not hating on this team, I'm not all fired up expecting great things either. I'm guessing I'll generally keep up with the team this season, but it's just sad and disappointing in that the low energy seemingly indifferent university leadership seems to be effectively seeping into almost all areas of MT life.
The only other thought that comes to mind is Dishman pretty much volunteered to come back. I'm sure he was expecting a much better seasoned team than last year's with championship goals in mind. He must be somewhat disappointed in results so far. Despite returning so many other players if not for him we would probably be 6-9 instead of a still less than pleasing 9-6 right now.

Reactions: dukewayne
The only other thought that comes to mind is Dishman pretty much volunteered to come back. I'm sure he was expecting a much better seasoned team than last year's with championship goals in mind. He must be somewhat disappointed in results so far. Despite returning so many other players if not for him we would probably be 6-9 instead of a still less than pleasing 9-6 right now.
Yea, I kinda feel for Dishman. He battles, but so many others on the team don't match his intensity. Lawrence you can pretty much count on for great energy and effort. Some of the guys have good energy or effort, but lose focus and discipline. I had hoped to see Lenard starting to harness his tremendous intensity and energy into something just a little more focused at this point. Surprisingly, it seems Weston has made better progress in starting to dial in his game.

It is a little frustrating to see the same mistakes repeated game after game. I mean, they are fairly obvious.

Gonna hope they get hot come march. They can do it.
Like many teams at this point in the season, that seems about the main if only hope. For the vast majority of those teams, those hopes are never realized.

This Blue Raider team actually has the talent and potential to get hot and make a great run, but there are a whole mess of really good teams in the conference this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MT knock off UNT this evening only to lose to a team at the bottom of the standings especially while on the road.

I wouldn't bet the farm on MT beating UNT today, but it wouldn't surprise me either. That's the frustrating part, the potential and talent are there. Lack of discipline continues to be a major issue in my opinion.

Wow they play in a High School Gymnasium and get called up to the American Athletic Conference? What the hell.

Wow they play in a High School Gymnasium and get called up to the American Athletic Conference? What the hell.
TX footprint. Same reason they took Rice after losing Houston. AAC is making the same mistake CUSA did going more after markets and potential.

Reactions: ewglenn
TX footprint. Same reason they took Rice after losing Houston. AAC is making the same mistake CUSA did going more after markets and potential.
UTSA and UAB were solid additions. UNT and FAU were about in line with us. Rice and Charlotte were horrible additions that should have been added after us.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT