God's Country
GAME INFORMATION
(FULL GAME NOTES)[/B]

Date: [/B]Monday, Dec. 29
Time:[/B] [/B] 8 p.m. CT
Teams[/B]: Middle Tennessee at Auburn
Arena: [/B]Auburn Arena (9,121)
TV: [/B] SEC Network
Radio:[/B] [/B]WMOT-FM (89.5), The Game (97.5/102.5), WGNS AM/FM (1450/100.5/101.9)
Play-by-Play: [/B]Chip Walters
Color: [/B]Kyle Turnham

Live Stats[/B]

Blue Raiders wrap-up 2014 at Auburn

excerpt:

...The Auburn Tigers and the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders face off on Monday at Auburn Arena in college basketball action.

The Auburn Tigers are 6-5 this season and they have won their last three games. Auburn is averaging 67.5 points and they are shooting 41.1 percent from the floor while defensively they are allowing 68.3 points and their opponents are shooting 44.8 percent. K.T. Harrell is averaging 17.6 points to lead the Tigers. Cinmeon Bowers is averaging 13.4 points and 11.8 rebounds, Antoine Mason is averaging 14.2 points, and K.C. Ross-Miller is averaging 7.1 points. Auburn is 5-1 at home this season.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are 7-5 this season and they have won four of their last five games. MTSU is averaging 58.5 points and they are shooting 39.1 percent while defensively they are allowing 59.9 points and their opponents are shooting 42.3 percent. Jacquez Rozier is averaging 10 points and 5.8 rebounds per game to lead the Blue Raiders. Reggie Upshaw Jr. is averaging 9.4 points and 6.7 rebounds, Marcus Tarrance is averaging 7.2 points, and Jaqawn Raymond is averaging 7.0 points. Middle Tennessee is 2-2 on the road this season.

Auburn is 9-21 against the spread against a team with a winning record, 1-6 against the spread in their last seven Monday games, and 14-6 against the spread following a win. Middle Tennessee is 8-24 against the spread in their last 32 road games, 1-6 against the spread following a game that they covered the point spread, and 0-5 against the spread against the SEC.....

Playing on the road at an $EC school will be next to impossible. Anyone think we keep it close? Interesting stats on the teams:

Auburn is 9-21 against the spread against a team with a winning record, 1-6 against the spread in their last seven Monday games, and 14-6 against the spread following a win. Middle Tennessee is 8-24 against the spread in their last 32 road games, 1-6 against the spread following a game that they covered the point spread, and 0-5 against the spread against the SEC.....

Nothing would surprise me in this game. We may get beat handily or we may even win by double digits. This is definitely one of the most winnable SEC games we have played. But with our team this year, I just don't know what we are going to get on any given night. My guess is this will be low scoring, something like 57-52 either way.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Traveling seems to be the call of the day .. unless it is a block against Middle.

Growing pains continue.

Were in it. We started settling down and playing some ball. We have some really talented Freshman. It is fun watching them get better and they have a long way to go. We are in good hands. I hope Rozier is ok.

it just seems as though this team is incapable of starting hot. Basically every game has played out the same. They get down big early, then they come back late, but ultimately it's not enough. They got to find a way to start better. It might be time for Kermit to stop tweaking the lineup and stick with something.

He needs to stop starting freshman because they are obviously nervous and play sloppy. Even when they are not nervous they make dumb ball handling mistakes. Their freshman. We are very dependant on freshman this year.

We getting abused inside , Upshaw has 4 fouls and Rozier got hurt after 5 minutes in the game, also we can't dribble to save our lives or defend the 3

The teams we had the last couple of years would have beaten this garbage Auburn team by 20 plus points on their home court. We are just awful this year. Can't handle the ball. Nobody on the team can create their own shot.

Gonna come from the coach's perspective here. I do not understand why we did not take chances when Auburn's defense was in recovery. They had obvious gaps. We were basically slowing everything down and setting up an offense with the d completely set. This is not typical of what middle has done. Seemed we were very scared to attack. About time for someone to step up and lead at the guard position and it ain't Raymond.

I've liked what I've seen from Richmond tonight. I like his style but for some reason I'm really high on Buford. I just like his his willingness to pull the trigger. Reminds me a lot of Dino Hair in that regard.

Well, first of all, every time we have played a Bruce Pearl coached team, we have had our butts handed to us. Secondly, Davis' style of coaching depends on a very strong inside game. That is why with Dendy and Jones inside the Raiders were very successful. Davis cannot coach a 3-point skilled team which is what he has this year. We should come out of the dressing room shooting 3's but it will never happen with Davis. When do we shoot 3's? As a last resort, after failing to get the ball inside, or Davis' favorite-when down by 10+ points. We made the Belmont game close by shooting 3's late and made the 2 tourney games more respectable by shooting 3's when the games were already decided. We hit 13-30 3's in the exhibition vs.Ole Miss but no way will Davis have his team shooting 3's that often in a game that counts. It is a secondary shot to Davis. Wonder why in all of Davis' years that we have never been a big 3-point shooting team? Simple. He does not believe in the 3 as a primary offensive weapon. The way Davis coaches the use of the 3, players invariably will not shoot it as well as they might because they will be looking over their shoulder to see if coach approved of the shot.

Many of Byrd's teams at Belmont and Insell with several Lady Raider teams knew how to use the 3. Use it relentlessly. Shoot it first, not as a secondary shot. Why shoot a 12-18 foot shot which will likely be more tightly defended when a slightly longer shot, a 3, is more likely to be open and is worth and extra point if you hit it? Too, a longer miss is more likely to be a longer rebound which will often somewhat negate the rebounding advantage of the inside positioned defense.

Davis' style is inside oriented and always will be, regardless of the personnel.

We just are not a good offensive team. We have seen this "type" of play for years with CKD. He just doesn't have the right type of players to play his system.

Lets see how we do in CUSA play. But any top 50 type team will beat us, just don't have the kind of coach to let our players free.

Really disappointed that one of the five new guards (four freshmen and JUCO Jones) doesn't demand PT just because of his offensive skills. I just don't understand how other schools (including many %$&-majors) can bring in instant offense and we rarely do. I do think the freshmen have potential (Richmond at PG especially) but I do wonder if any of them can become a consistent scorer.

Biggest disappointment this year has been the lack of development of the two sophmore "bigs". Phillips and Upshaw together last night in 31 combined minutes had a total of two boards and 6 points. Davis had shown a propensity to recruit "bigs" with upside but on these two I wonder.

Something (Davis reputation among other coaches???) is keeping MT from recruiting at a higher level with the recent success and the move to C-USA. Wish I understood what is holding our BkB program back.

I watched the game and saw a ton of freshman mistakes. We knew this going into the season. I am enjoying watching them improve.

Rozier getting hurt in the first half did not help things and they had a guy that was shooting NBA 3-pointers. Phillips has got to get going in a hurry. He goes right in and fouls right away. Auburn was very physical inside. They made Upshaw look like a child. We have problems but we also have talent. We have more talent at guard from a depth perspective than I have ever seen at MT. Auburn is better than last year. They will win some games this year. Probably an NIT team right now.

I still believe we can improve to the point where we will be in the thick of it come tournament time if we stay healthy. It will be fun to watch. We are above .500 which is what I expected at this time.

Phillips is a complete non-factor. He looks extremely scared to be out there. And what's amazing is when he gets the ball he immediately passes it. I don't think I have seen him hold the ball longer than 3 seconds.

"They made Upshaw look like a child."

Extremely soft to have been offered in football by P5 schools. I really thought we had scored a coup when we signed him as a legacy. Would have thought he would have been a huge contributor by now in his Soph. season. Can't finish at the rim even though 6'-7". Don't know one thing he excels at or that he has shown improvement in during his time at MT. Very hard to read his attitude on the floor. Huge disappointment.

This team is still a work in progress. When was the last time this team had to depend on freshmen and a sophomore to contribute?

I am still confident that January, we hit a stride in conference play.

Originally posted by SpaceRaider:
This team is still a work in progress. When was the last time this team had to depend on freshmen and a sophomore to contribute?

ADVERTISEMENT