ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Middle Tennessee (7-2) @ Rice (9-0), 12PM, Tuesday, December 20, 2022

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Founded: 1912
Enrollment: 8,212
Colors: Blue & Gray Nickname: Owls
Series: MTSU leads 8-4
Conference: C-USA
Facility: Tudor Fieldhouse
Head Coach: Lindsay Edmonds
Record at Rice: 14-13 (1) Overall: Same
2021-22 Record: 14-13 2022 Postseason: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 5/0 Letterwinners R/L: 9/2

Last edited:
Wishing the Lady Raiders all the best at Rice. Anticipate this to be a closely contested game throughout. However, based on our history for closely contested games the odds makers will be placing their money with Rice on this one. That being said, we have the skill & talent to win this road game. The emphasis will be maintaining mental discipline at the end, & coach not saving all the timeouts for the last minute & a half of play.
One thing I was OK when Kermit was here, he didn't mind taking 2-3 timeouts at anytime if he didn't like our mental makeup on the floor. I wish Rick had more of that in him.

Reactions: crassyblue
MT didn't receive any votes (AP) this week after receiving one vote last week. Louisville went from 14 votes to 20.

MT didn't receive any votes (AP) this week after receiving one vote last week. Louisville went from 14 votes to 20.
Louisville got way too much love nationally for a comfortable win over a very susceptible Kentucky team. After the Card's beat Kentucky last week, UK then went on to lose to Murray State & FGCU. And both games were at home.

Looking forward to watching this one (hopefully I can for free via C-USA TV).

EDIT: P.S. it is not free; they have a one-time subscription price of like $7.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
When we get stuck in periods of scoring droughts why not mix things up & give the freshman Riley a chance? I know she's a freshman, but she appears to be more athletic than most of our older players. Would a 4 or 5 minute opportunity be so criminal when you can't get 10 points per quarter out of your regular players?

Tremendous win. Best 2nd half performance of the year! This should push the ladies up a few more notches on the net ranking list.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Well they came away with a win there against a really good Rice team; these are definitely the best two in C-USA right now and I'd say they both deserve a chance in the tournament this year. On a side note, it seems like Boldyreva is getting fewer and fewer minutes as the season goes on. She only played 9 mins today.

On to Charlotte at home who could very well be third best in C-USA; starting out conference play with a bang.

This was a major, major win -- gonna be a huge one come NCAA Tournament selection time. Boldyreva is getting less time I think based on Malashka's great play, they both go for the same position so it's whoever is on "fire" and lately that has been Kseniya. I think it could be a good thing for Anastasiia to keep learning from her, working with her, and improve her already good skill set. Once Kseniya is gone, we'll need her to step it up and play that 40 minute game. Charlotte at home next up is gonna be a HUGE game... we need all fans there!

I had to leave and take care of some insurance and health business and just got to hear portions of the 2nd half. Glad the Lady Raiders won. Just as much as Louisville if not more, this game was really one I wanted the win. I doubt if many of MT's conference mates will leave Rice with a win.

Yes I think Rice may be the second best team in the conference. They have a very, very talented group and we are lucky to come out of there with a win. Tough place to play!

Didn't get to watch game from work, but tuned in when I could. One thing I've noticed about Boldyreva is she has fumbled what appeared to be some easy rebounds in past games. Not sure if this could be playing a role, but with her size & talent would hate to see her go much below 10 minutes of regular play time.

Didn't get to watch game from work, but tuned in when I could. One thing I've noticed about Boldyreva is she has fumbled what appeared to be some easy rebounds in past games. Not sure if this could be playing a role, but with her size & talent would hate to see her go much below 10 minutes of regular play time.
Rebounding is one area she does need to improve but I think that'll come with practice and strength. She was a string bean when she arrived, and she's building up some muscles now you can tell - but still some ways to go with that. I think during the Houston game she had a good stretch of rebounding, just need that consistency!

Reactions: MTFAN61
She got decent playing time against Houston (19 mins), but their defense was suffocating and clearly bothering her. She was visibly frustrated at that game and missed a few shots that were right in front of her. She has all the talent and her size is definitely a valuable asset to the team. I look forward to seeing her develop as the season goes on.

I think they are getting her to work on rebounding more and more. I saw her really jump for the first time against Memphis. I seems like in the past she has always stood flat footed given her size. For her to be a great help to us, she needs to refine her skills around the basket. She already has a very good 3 point shot. Maybe working against the 6-10 guy has here pushing extra hard with jumping on rebounds and shots. She just needs time to get adjusted to it.

I think they are getting her to work on rebounding more and more. I saw her really jump for the first time against Memphis. I seems like in the past she has always stood flat footed given her size. For her to be a great help to us, she needs to refine her skills around the basket. She already has a very good 3 point shot. Maybe working against the 6-10 guy has here pushing extra hard with jumping on rebounds and shots. She just needs time to get adjusted to it.
Yes. It was during the Memphis game that they interviewed Nina Davis and I believe she mentioned working hard with Anastasiia on rebounding, really emphasizing it and what to do, how to do it. The improvement is very obvious in that and the Houston games from what I saw. She has a tremendous upside and there are few coaches as good at teaching the post as one of the best post players ever in Nina. It'll take some time but she and the coaches are definitely working on it!

All good comments. One thing I wanted to mention to her benefit, I like Boldyreva's growing confidence from 3. She doesn't shoot a lot of them, but her set shot is usually nothing but net beyond the arc. Opposing teams probably can't believe their eyes seeing a 6' 6" center shooting from there.

All good comments. One thing I wanted to mention to her benefit, I like Boldyreva's growing confidence from 3. She doesn't shoot a lot of them, but her set shot is usually nothing but net beyond the arc. Opposing teams probably can't believe their eyes seeing a 6' 6" center shooting from there.
So true. She's got a great outside shot, and I'm super excited to see her take those. I think against Louisville (or Houston, or both) she was guarded out there but made a quick move to the paint and got an easy layup out of it. Adding that to her game is a huge benefit!

Hall of Fame (former LSU and Houston WNBA) coach Van Chancellor was at the MT-Rice game, cheering on the Blue Raiders! He met with the team and coaches prior to and after the game. A true legend, and a friend of MTSU Women's Basketball. He was the head coach of the LSU Tigers when they were highly ranked and came into the Murphy Center, only to be upset by Rick Insell's squad!

Reactions: tyler90wm
You got to respect that guy! I remember when he brought his top 10 team into the glass house and our 7 handled his 5 pretty good…. Glad to see he doesn’t hold a grudge! I think we will have a top 25 team before the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT