ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (6-3, 3-2 C-USA) @ Marshall (2-7, 1-4), (ASN), 6PM CT, Saturday, November 12, 2016

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

Marshall University
Founded: 1837
Enrollment: 13,631 Undergrad 10,232 Postgrad 3,399
Acceptance rate: 76.5% (2014)
Colors: White, Kelly green Nickname: The Thundering Herd Mascot: Marco
Fight song: "Sons of Marshall"
Series: Marshall leads 3-2, last meeting in Huntington: MU 49, MT 24
Stadium: Joan C. Edwards Stadium
Head Coach: Doc Holliday (West Virginia, 1979)
Record at Marshall: 50-28 (7th) Overall: Same
2015 Record: 10-3 (6-2) Bowl: St. Petersburg
Starters Ret./Lost: 11/11 Lettermen R/L: 48/15

Weather Forecast:
Clear skies, 33°/ 10% precip WNW 4 mph (sunset 4:18pm ct)

Where: Joan C. Edwards Stadium, 2001 3rd Avenue, Huntington, West Virginia 25755

Stadium Policies (prohibited items): Outside food/beverages, smoking, umbrellas, tripods, pets (not including service animals), flash/video cameras, firearms, ice chests, strollers, artificial noisemakers (not including thundersticks), flags that obstruct the view of other guests, and portable chairbacks with arms.

Ticket Notes: tickets are still available to purchase through the Marshall University ticket office by clicking here or calling 800-THE-HERD. Tickets start at $25 per ticket and the MTSU seating sections are in Sections 101 and 103. All ticket sales windows will open 2.5 hours prior to kick-off. General will call is located between Gates A and B on the northwest side of the stadium, and the visiting team player guest will call is located at Gate D on the northeast side of the stadium.

Television:
ASN, Play-by-Play: Mike Gleason, Color Analyst: Brad Jackson, Sideline: Madi Morris,
-Comcast: Channel 14/1014 (Nashville, TN area)
-DirecTV: Channel 30
-Dish: Channel 30
-AT&T U-verse: Channel 30

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), (TuneIn app)

Streaming: Audio, Video

Live Stats: Gametracker

Newspapers: Herald Dispatch, Beckley Register Herald, Charleston GazetteMail, Marshall Parthenon,

Message Boards: HerdNation, Herd Fans, HerdHaven, , , , , , ,

Blogs: Marshall Sports (The Herdzone blog), Inside Marshall Sports (wv gazette), The Stampede,

Athletic site:
Herdzone.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: Marshall, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Marshall 2016 SBNation Preview, 2016 CUSA Football Preview: Marshall, Marshall 2016 Sports Chat Place College Football Preview, Marshall (Orlando Sentinel #57), Middle Tennessee 2016 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #63), Middle Tennessee 2016 Season Preview

Game Notes: Marshall game notes, MT game notes

Game Previews: ,

Roster: Thundering Herd, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @HerdZone, @HerdFB, @HerdEquipment, @HerdCotton, , , @heralddispatch, @HerdNation, @GrantTraylor, @GaryFauber, @DaveWilsonMN, @Chuckonsports, @dougsmock, @MoonShineTD, @herdnews12, , ,,, @bigspanks, @notmarshallu,

Hashtags:
#HerdNation, #WeAreMarshall, #WePlayForChampionships, #Stampede16, #MarshallToTheAAC, #MTvsHERD

Facebook:
MU Herdzone, ,

Youtube: MU Herdzone,, , ,

Instagram:
Herdzone,

2015 Game Thread:
Middle Tennessee vs Marshall, 2:30PM, Saturday, November 7

Last edited:
as sad a shape we are in, Marshall appears to be far worse. What ever the odds, it's may be the best shot for a win at Marshall as we will see for awhile.

from June 4th Herdzone blog:

Game Preview: Middle Tennessee

Marshall returns home on November 12th after two straight road games to battle the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders at Edwards Stadium in a game Marshall is plugging as an “Operation Blackout” for all fans to wear black. This will be just the sixth all-time meeting between the teams (Marshall leads the series 3-2) and the fourth since the Blue Raiders joined C-USA. MTSU nipped the Herd in 2013 in Murfreesboro 51-49 and Marshall got revenge in 2014 at home by crushing the Blue Raiders 49-24. MTSU got another close victory at home over the Herd last season in a 27-24 win in three overtimes thanks in large part due to five missed field goals as a team by the Herd.
MTSU has won 22 conference championships as a program which ranks 16th among all FBS teams. The Blue Raiders had a successful stint in the Sun Belt from 2001 through 2012, winning two Co-Sun Belt Championships and making three bowl game appearances. MTSU joined C-USA in 2013 and has been a consistent program since joining with an overall record of 21-17 and 17-7 in C-USA play with two bowl game appearances. The Blue Raiders went 7-6 overall last season and lost to Western Michigan in the Popeye’s Bahamas Bowl. With quality returning talent on offense (notably QB Brent Stockstill) and a new offensive coordinator in Tony Franklin, MTSU hopes to improve on that 7-6 mark in 2016.

The Blue Raiders begin the 2016 season at home against Alabama A&M in Week 1 followed by two road games at Vanderbilt in Week 2 and at Bowling Green in Week 3. MTSU returns home in Week 4 to open up C-USA play against Louisiana Tech followed by a road game at North Texas in Week 5. The Blue Raiders then have a bye week before their showdown with rival WKU at home in Week 6 and a road game at Missouri in Week 7, followed by a road game at FIU in Week 8 and a home game against UTSA in Week 9 before heading to Huntington.

MTSU has been a consistent program in C-USA since joining the league, something that most programs in C-USA can’t say. But it always seems to come up short in the key games and can’t get over the hump in becoming a league title contender. Will 2016 be the year in which the Blue Raiders break through? Marshall handled MTSU easily at home in 2014 following a loss in 2013 and this year the Herd will have that same motivation. Along with the revenge factor, this will be the game in which Marshall will wear the “75” decal on the helmets and the new black jerseys to honor the plane crash victims, something the Herd takes very seriously. Over the past two years, Marshall has won the game closest to the plane crash anniversary date (both home games) by a combined score of 93-14. Offensively, the Blue Raiders should be electric this season. But they lost several key starters off of a defense that was only tied for 74th in the FBS in total defense in 2015. MTSU has the capability to beat Marshall and this should be one of the Herd’s toughest C-USA games in 2016, but I just don’t see it happening here. Revenge and the plane crash anniversary will play as key motivators in this game and I see the Herd getting a 17-21 point win at home. Not that Marshall will necessarily be that much better than the Blue Raiders, but I feel the emotion of the game and revenge factor will put it over the top. With that being said, don’t be surprised if this is a very close game either. Hopefully Marshall can get its revenge against MTSU and honor the 75 in the process. GO HERD!

excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will travel to Joan C. Edwards Stadium to take on the Marshall Thundering Herd this Saturday night in College Football action.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders had their two game winning streak snapped and dropped to 6-3 (3-2 C-USA) on the season after being defeated by the UTSA Roadrunners, 45-25, this past Saturday. Middle Tennessee lost their star QB Brent Stockstill early in the 1st quarter and Blue Raiders just couldn’t generate the same amount of offense without him in this one. Middle Tennessee was outgained by UTSA by a 378-369 margin and lost the turnover battle by a 4-2 margin. Leading the way for the Blue Raiders was WR Richie James who had a TD and 100 receiving yards on 5 receptions. On the season, Middle Tennessee is averaging 38.8 ppg on 519.7 total yards per game (341.3 passing, 178.3 rushing). Offensively, Middle Tennessee has been led by QB Brent Stockstill (63.9 Comp %, 27 TD, 5 INT, 311.2 yds/g) however, if Stockstill can’t go due to his shoulder injury, the Blue Raiders will rely on John Urzua (54.5 Comp %, 2 TD, 4 INT, 133.5 yds/g). The Blue Raiders have a very dangerous receiving group which is led by Richie James (8.1 rec/g, 125.8 yds/g, 9 TD), I’Tavius Mathers (5.4 rec/g, 53.6 yds/g, 3 TD), Ty Lee (4.6 rec/g, 51.8 yds/g, 6 TD), Dennis Andrews (2.7 rec/g, 36.3 yds/g, 6 TD), and Patrick Smith (2.8 rec/g, 31.6 yds/g, 2 TD). The Blue Raiders backfield is led by I’Tavius Mathers who had 12 TD’s on the season and is averaging 127.2 rushing yds/g on 19.0 att/g. Defensively, Middle Tennessee is allowing their opponents to average 31.6 ppg on 433.1 total yards per game (243.3 passing, 189.8 rushing). The Blue Raiders have forced their opponents into committing 15 turnovers this season and has an overall turnover margin of +3.

The Marshall Thundering Herd lost their 3rd straight game and dropped to 2-7 (1-4 C-USA) on the season after being defeated by the Old Dominion Monarchs, 38-14, this past Saturday. Marshall had no answers for Ray Lawry and the Monarchs rushing attack and couldn’t fight back after falling behind by a 21-7 margin at halftime. Marshall was outgained by Old Dominion by a 461-214 margin and allowed the Monarchs to rush for 262 yards. Leading the way for Marshall was QB Chase Litton who completed 17 of 26 passes for 87 yards and a TD. On the season, Marshall is averaging 28.3 ppg on 348.7 total yards per game (245.8 passing, 102.9 rushing). Offensively, the Thundering Herd has been led by QB Chase Litton who has completed 62.0% of his passes for 18 TD and 7 INT while averaging 258.1 passing yds/game. Litton’s main targets this season has been Michael Clark (3.3 rec/g, 61.1 yds/g, 5 TD), Josh Knight (5.2 rec/g, 55.6 yds/g, 4 TD), Ryan Yurachek (2.7 rec/g, 30.7 yds/g, 4 TD), and Deon-Tay McManus (2.6 rec/g, 28.6 yds/g, 2 TD). The Marshall backfield has been led by Keion Davis who had 6 TD’s on the season and is averaging 58.6 rushing yds/game. Defensively, Marshall is allowing their opponents to average 35.0 ppg on 467.1 total yards per game (259.3 passing, 207.8 rushing). Marshall has only committed 12 turnovers on the season and has an overall turnover margin of +2.

The Blue Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games in November however, just 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 conference games. The Thundering Herd are 15-2-2 ATS in their last 19 home games vs. a team with a winning road record however, are just 1-5 ATS in their last 6 conference games.

This game has yet to be lined due to the uncertainly of Middle Tennessee’s standout QB, Brent Stockstill. Early indications look as he won’t be able to go due to a shoulder injury..... ...Middle Tennessee really struggled without Stockstill under center and having a freshman QB make his first start in a road conference game usually isn’t a recipe for success, even if the Blue Raiders are going against Marshall’s 108th ranked scoring defense.....

I think we will play Marshall better than we did UTSA. I think we will score more and we will defend better. Marshall is not as strong as UTSA on the lines or on D. UTSA could win 7 games and their D is one of the better ones in CUSA. Their run game is far better than Marshall's as well.

I think we win and this gives us more confidence to move ahead to the bowl game. We've had a full week to get a plan in place and I think we will succeed in getting Urzua into the offense more.

I have no expectations, only anticipation. I hope Urzua plays well and we win but I have no idea.

I have complete confidence our offense will do well. Not really sure who wins this. Key is will our defense let another inept offense look like Joe Montana.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Fully expect Marshall to win this one. They'll be amped up for the memorial of the plane crash while MT will be missing leadership at QB

So Marshall has one of the worst run defenses in the nation, we have a brand new qb, and we throw every single down and Urzua throws an Int??o_O

I can't remember if it was on this board or the other but somebody hit the nail on the head. As good as TF is sometimes he out thinks himself. You have the leading rusher in the conference and you don't feed him.

It's hard for me to believe that I am watching the same team as we saw the first 8 games. I know Stockstill wad the heart of this offense but my goodness. No one has a clue on that side it looks like.

37 yard punt. great stuff. looking great in all 3 phases of the game. we have such an awesome team

ADVERTISEMENT