ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (6-20, 2-11) vs. UAB (15-11, 6-7), 2PM, Saturday, February 15, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 21,923
Arena: Bartow Arena (8,500)
Colors: Forest Green & Old Gold Nickname: Blazers
Head Coach: Robert Ehsan Record at School: 57-44 (3 Seasons) Career Record: 57-44 (3 Seasons)
2018-19 Record: 20-15, 10-8 2018-19 Finish: 5th C-USA 2018-19 Postseason: CBI Round 1
Starters R/L: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 6/4
Twitter: @UAB_MBB

GAME NOTES

LISTEN

LIVE VIDEO

LIVE STATS

Date: February 15, 2020 Time: 2:00 PM CT
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Series Record: UAB leads 12-9
TV: ESPN+ Talent: Jake Rose (PxP), Jeff Hem (Analyst)
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Might as well post who Ole Miss and Kermit are playing against tomorrow. More posts about them lately, compared with MTSU.

No words to describe the state of this program and this team.

At this point, I actually feel sorry for both the players and the coaches. All of them look like they are clearly in over their heads. Consistently outmatched, both on the court and in preparation for the games. It is quite literally painful to watch how bad they are. Painful and sad.

In 2 short years, we have quite literally gone from a top 25 team to one of the worst D1 programs in the country.......

SOMEONE better be getting fired.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
So if they lose one more game it ties most losses in a season in school history. Then, last year was tied for second most in a season. So in all likelihood most and 3rd most losses in two seasons. Sorry but that’s terrible. Last year gets a mulligan but to show NO improvement is unacceptable. I’m ready for more excuses from the defenders of McDevitt, but they coulda just gave somebody 60k a year to coach and would have the same result. When I doubt my ability at my job I always have MTSU athletics to remind me that it could be worse.

Well, like most things with this program, we regressed in our second game in a row with UAB. Simply outcoached. I'm speechless.

Man, I wish someone would have taken me up on that 1k or even $500.00 bet that we wouldn't make the CUSA tourney. :) I hope some sort of actions are taken.They would be at any other school already by now. Of course, I also thought that same thing when our football team lost to Rice.

Man, I wish someone would have taken me up on that 1k or even $500.00 bet that we wouldn't make the CUSA tourney. :) I hope some sort of actions are taken.They would be at any other school already by now. Of course, I also thought that same thing when our football team lost to Rice.

Nobody in a position of power cares and I think that’s the worst part.

My money is on Massaro already telling Nick he has X number of years......because he doesn't look pressured or really even seem to care at all. We are a 6-21 team and he continues to coach in a calm, cool, collective manner as if he doesn't have a worry in the world. His demeanor on the sidelines would lead most to believing we are in fact 21-6, and not 6-21, if you didn't already know better....

I'd be willing to bet a large chunk of change Massaro has already told him something along these lines: "we understand it's a rebuild, we understand wins will be difficult to come by, we are gonna give you time (4-5 years) to get all your guys in here and get a culture established and then we'll revisit things" Massaro is going to essentially let Nick play through his first contract and hold his nose on the results until the contract is satisfied. When the contract is up he will then "view it as a whole" and then make a decision. If he can justify extending him in Year 4, he will do so because he doesn't want his guy out trying to recruit with no years on his contract. My prediction: Nick ends year 4/5 with a .500 ball club and gets an extension because he's "showing improvement"......So predictable. So boring. So uneventful. So mediocre. So Middle Tennessee.

Remember, this is an AD who continued to extend contracts for a very mediocre Kermit Davis and essentially gave a lifetime contract to a head football coach who has never fielded the best team in his conference. I'm 35 years old, and I've accepted the fact that I'll be lucky to see one more good NCAA run from our Blue Raiders in my lifetime. This athletic director, this president, this community and culture as a whole at Little Middle just does not have that killer instinct when it comes to daring to be great.

Last edited:
My money is on Massaro already telling Nick he has X number of years......because he doesn't look pressured or really even seem to care at all. We are a 6-21 team and he continues to coach in a calm, cool, collective manner as if he doesn't have a worry in the world. His demeanor on the sidelines would lead most to believing we are in fact 21-6, and not 6-21, if you didn't already know better....

I'd be willing to bet a large chunk of change Massaro has already told him something along these lines: "we understand it's a rebuild, we understand wins will be difficult to come by, we are gonna give you time (4-5 years) to get all your guys in here and get a culture established and then we'll revisit things" Massaro is going to essentially let Nick play through his first contract and hold his nose on the results until the contract is satisfied. When the contract is up he will then "view it as a whole" and then make a decision. If he can justify extending him in Year 4, he will do so because he doesn't want his guy out trying to recruit with no years on his contract. My prediction: Nick ends year 4/5 with a .500 ball club and gets an extension because he's "showing improvement"......So predictable. So boring. So uneventful. So mediocre. So Middle Tennessee.

Remember, this is an AD who continued to extend contracts for a very mediocre Kermit Davis and essentially gave a lifetime contract to a head football coach who has never fielded the best team in his conference. I'm 35 years old, and I've accepted the fact that I'll be lucky to see one more good NCAA run from our Blue Raiders in my lifetime. This athletic director, this president, this community and culture as a whole at Little Middle just does not have that killer instinct when it comes to daring to be great.

Bingo. It’s hard not to agree with this on some level if you have followed this program for as long as we have.

You’re right.

Massaro is on record saying he and 7 Wood value stability in coaching. He wants to give coaches time to see if it works with the assistants and if not, replace them and see how the changes work. Massaro bashed South Carolina’s replacement of coaching philosophy- of course their style produced national championships in baseball & women’s basketball, a final 4 trip in men’s bball & the most successful football run in the schools history with Spurrier. But let’s not do that and stay steady in our little middle mediocrity.

It would be out of character for Massaro to fire CNM in the first 3 or 4 seasons. We got at least 2 more years, let’s hope CNM figures something out.

Last edited:
It's times like these that I wish I could just not care anymore for MT sports. If I was able to just not care, believe me I would be long gone from anything MT sports. No matter how much it sickens me to see teams run this poorly, I always come back with some shred of hope that the teams will get better sometime before too long.

No matter how much I would prefer to just not care, I'm just not able to have another favorite college team. I keep coming back for that Royal Blue, the jersey emblazoned with Middle Tennessee, or the helmet with the MT sticker.

I guess I take some solace in the fact that MT sports teams are more than just McPhee & Massaro. I guess a big part of me keeps coming back believing that guys, Blue Raiders, like Jayce Johnson, Lawrence, and Sims are still working, sweating, and fighting to try to make their team, our team, better.

All I could think about before I left midway of the second half, was it was Legends night and Jimmy Earle was being honored, and all the the basketball team could do was provide that sh*t show. Embarrassing. And everybody involved in that owe those guys, especially Earle, an apology for that crap fest masquerading as a basketball team.

All I could think about before I left midway of the second half, was it was Legends night and Jimmy Earle was being honored, and all the the basketball team could do was provide that sh*t show. Embarrassing. And everybody involved in that owe those guys, especially Earle, an apology for that crap fest masquerading as a basketball team.

I stayed until the bitter end watching our 13 point loss. Didn't feel like going to the reception, but I agree the university and Murfreesboro let Coach Earle down not being at the game. Only 3,964 was listed in the box score whereas this should have been Operation Full House III (or close to it) promotion. Feel sad and angry at the same time to what our university has become and is standing for in 2020. Our leadership appears to function more like a D-2 school and the sad part is we don't care. There is no championship culture anymore or true accountability. It's meander to .500 if you able, if your a game or two short...no worries, try harder next year and all will be good at contract time. Board of Trustees appears to rubber stamp whatever is on Doctor Sidney A. McPhee's agenda.

Even the OVC has improved over time since we departed. For example, Murray State changes coaches again and again, and doesn't have problems finishing above .500 (only 2 losing seasons since 1979-80, IIRC). One has to go back to 1970's to see Murray under Ron Greene to have a win total that rivals ours in 2019-2020. Even in a very terrible year (not many), Murray tends to finish 5th or 6th and has no problems making the tournament. We will not barring a sweep of Bonus Play or a 3-1 mark needing USM losing out. Can we be like a Murray State in C-USA? Think MT Fans wants Coach Nick McDevitt to reach high successes, but am afraid we aren't making enough progress. After 27 games and a double digit loss to a very pedestrian UAB team, it's highly questionable whether this staff is the way forward (nothing personal). A 6-21 record suggests something is seriously amiss in philosophy, execution, or recruiting options (we don't have the right players?). That's just my thoughts as this basketball season comes to an end.

Two telling factors as this regrettable season comes to an end -

Not one of the four new players from this years class has consistently shown as a future star. While they have all had good moments and we thought early that Jackson might be a contender for FOY not one has been someone to be counted on to come through in crucial situations. It looks as if McDevitt and staff missed on getting immediate help for this year.

Secondly I am very concerned that we improved last year in McDevitt's 1st year but this year the stretch when we won two conference games and were close in 3 others was apparently "fool's gold". If the last 3 games are any indication we have made no progress this year and have possibly regressed. No doubt the record will be worse. Yesterday the team continued to make the same mistakes they made 4 days earlier. Anyone with a modicum of basketball knowledge could see what needed to be corrected but those corrections were not made - either because the staff didn't address the problems (doubtful) or the players chose not to implement the scout into the game. There was much more involvement, excitement, and spirit on the UAB bench yesterday than on ours. Could it be that the squad has given up and this talk of good team chemistry is a figment of someone's imagination?

I'm much more concerned about the future of this program today than I was a month ago. Baring a miracle run in "bonus" play we are seeing further descent into a very deep hole.

Last edited:
I think Lawrence and Jackson have all-conference potential....

That said, these past two teams were not what Nick should have assembled (obviously, his fault) and going forward everyone will demand better results or he will be replaced.

This staff's history with freshmen at UNCA tells me that the MT freshmen, this year and future, will yield better teams in the coming seasons.

There is no doubt that this is one of those times when a big change desperately needs to be made. I think most on here have little to no expectation that leadership will do a darn thing about it.

It seems the more likely possibility is that Coach Nick make big improvements. Sadly, I've seen next to nothing to instill confidence that coach nick is able to substantially improve over the next couple of seasons. I really do wish he would prove me wrong.

I still think coach nick did a decent job recruiting. Probably his strong suit. Sadly, most have seemed to regress while here. Coaching them up not his strong suit.

Ironically, yesterday was probably the first time I saw coach nick start to act like there are some major problems. He finally started to show some urgency and fire. I'm afraid it's too little and a little too late at this point as the season is essentially over. That response was needed all the way back at the Murray St game.

During the postgame for the first time, coach nick spoke with convincing conviction, feeling, and urgency for the first time since he's been here, in my opinion. It seems that he likely really chewed the team out at the half. I think it's also the first time I have heard him stress that toughness and defense has to be a foundational principle for the team to build any success. Finally! I was glad to finally hear him speak from the heart rather than the typical neutral pc media speak. It's likely too late to make much of a difference this season. Judging by Crump's postgame comments, the team likely heard the coach's message. Crump readily acknowledged that the team is going nowhere without playing defense.

Speaking of Crump, he's finally played a few minutes where he has shown some indication of what he is capable of doing on the court in the next couple of years. I also think that his postgame comments were significant in how he emphasized the challenge of the players to try to be positive right now. I imagine they are likely feeling down and discouraged. I'm not without compassion for those young men. Sometimes in life, people have to hit rock bottom before they realize and are ready to make the commitment to radical change to fight back in another way in order to find a way to win. To borrow a phrase, it's time to embrace the suck.

I've come to the realization that nothing will change at this university until Mcphee and Masarro are gone. We are stuck with them until they choose to leave. Hiring the right person to be the next president will be crucial as they will set the tone of our athletic department and university for the future. However, I'm not naive to the fact that the Governor, TDEC or whoever is in control won't place another limp wristed yes man like McPhee right back in the position. Middle Tennessee State has never been able to have control of it's own destiny. So why would things even change when McPhee is gone? We will just have to wait and see what happens.

I agree! Gonna be hard to raise funds too!

I've come to the realization that nothing will change at this university until Mcphee and Masarro are gone. We are stuck with them until they choose to leave. Hiring the right person to be the next president will be crucial as they will set the tone of our athletic department and university for the future. However, I'm not naive to the fact that the Governor, TDEC or whoever is in control won't place another limp wristed yes man like McPhee right back in the position. Middle Tennessee State has never been able to have control of it's own destiny. So why would things even change when McPhee is gone? We will just have to wait and see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT