ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (5-6, 3-4) vs ODU (5-6, 3-4)(ESPN3), 2PM, Saturday, November 25, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
The Battle for Bowl Eligibility

game thread, a work in progress:

Old Dominion University
Founded: 1930 Enrollment: 24,932 Undergrad 19,612 Postgrad 5,058
Acceptance rate: 81.9%
Colors: Slate blue and silver Nickname: Monarchs Fight song: ODU Fight Song
Series: MT leads 1-0
Stadium: S.B. Ballard (20,118)
Head Coach: Bobby Wilder (Maine, 1987) Record at ODU: 67-30 (9th) Overall: Same
2016 Record: 10-3 (7-1) 2016 Bowl: Bahamas
Starters Ret./Lost: 18/7 Lettermen R/L: 46/15

Weather Forecast:
Cloudy
60°/32°
Precip: 10%
WNW 7 mph Humidity: 64%

Where: Johnny Red Floyd Stadium, Capacity (30,788), 1500 Greenland Drive, Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Stadium Policies: All bags will be checked prior to stadium entrance. Bags 24"-by-24"-by-24" inches and smallerwill be allowed into the stadium. There will also be separate lines for those without bags.

Television: ESPN3 Jake Rose (play-by-play) TBA (analyst) Sara Cardona (sideline)

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), National: Sirius: 118, XM: 203, TuneIn App: Search Middle Tennessee

Streaming: Audio, Video

Live Stats: LIVE STATS

Newspapers: , , ,

Message Boards: , ,

Blogs: ,

Athletic site: ,
goblueraiders.com, Game Day Central

Media Guides:
ODU, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: ODU 2017 SBNation Preview, ODU (Orlando Sentinel # ), Middle Tennessee 2017 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #73),

Game Notes:
ODU Notes, MT GAME NOTES

Roster: Monarchs, Blue Raiders

Game Previews:

Twitter: , , ,

Hashtags:
# , # , # ,

Facebook: ,

Youtube: , , ,

Instagram:

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
FAU, FIU, Marshall, WKU, North Texas, UAB, Southern Miss and UTSA are all bowl eligible, with a possibility of two more. La Tech needs a win against UTSA.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
With the calculations I've made, if we win, we'll go to a bowl. Here are my elimination projections...

AAC - 4 eliminated - 5 projected - Tulane should lose to SMU
ACC - 3 eliminated - 4 projected - Duke should lose to Wake
Big12 - 2 eliminated - 3 projected - Texas Tech should lose to Texas
Big 10 - 4 eliminated - 6 projected - Minny will lose to Wisconsin and either Indy or Purdue bowls
CUSA - 3 eliminated - 5 projected - Us or ODU and LaTech faces UTSA
Indy - 2 eliminated - 2 projected - BYU and UMASS are awful this year
MAC - 5 eliminated - 6 projected - Buffalo should lose to Ohio
MWC - 5 eliminated - 5 projected - UNLV will beat Nevada so it's 5
Pac12 - 1 eliminated - 3 projected - Either Cal or UCLA and Colorado or Utah (Thank you Washington!)
SEC - 4 eliminated - 5 projected - Thank you Mizzou! - Florida or FSU gets knocked out - I say Florida
SBC - 5 eliminated - 8 projected - ULM & UL will lose out New Mexico St. Has a shot.

38 eliminated in total - 52 projected to be eliminated
91 teams remaining - 77 projected to be eligible

So why do I care? I want to go to a bowl with Vandy and UT at home that's why. LOL. That would be funny.

Last edited:
Anybody who shows up on Saturday is good in my book. I don't care if they're wearing WKU jerseys.

With Senior day and with us at home, I like us over ODU. ODU had to battle back to beat Rice with 48 seconds left.

If football players say something to me, I'll snap back at em. :) I'm a good crap talker and we got plenty of ammo this season. LOL.

For the first time in 12 years I believe I'll be missing watching/listening to a Blue Raider FB game. I just don't care anymore.
Nah, you care. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting here and expressing your disgust with the current state of the program. You and I are just alike in that mindset. At least I assume we are. Nothing would make me happier than for CRS to turn this thing around and start winning championships and bowl games. Not gonna happen but it would make me happy.

Nah, you care. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting here and expressing your disgust with the current state of the program. You and I are just alike in that mindset. At least I assume we are. Nothing would make me happier than for CRS to turn this thing around and start winning championships and bowl games. Not gonna happen but it would make me happy.

Only reason I continue to come to this board is because of the basketball team. This football season was effectively over after the FAU blowout. Everything after that has been practice and preparation for next season. And judging by the way we've played since the FAU debacle, we need it.

I'm actually torn on the ODU game. On the one hand, I'm sick and tired of Massaro and Stockstill touting bowl eligibility as if it's anything meaningful for a coach who's been here for 12 years. Sure, if this was Stock's first or second year here and he was rebuilding the program, I'd be OK with 6-6. But that simply isn't the case.

On the other hand, this team desperately needs more practice. Going 6-6 and getting to a bowl (Regardless of the results of the bowl) would allow for several more practices (11 or 12 I believe) and this team right now needs every rep it can get, in particular the offense. Stockstill and this receiving corp is not anywhere near what it needs to be. The bowl game itself is meaningless in my eyes as it'll just be an ass-kicking delivered by some MAC school. But maybe the practice reps would help us prepare for a run next year.

Probably all futile though. FAU returns almost every key piece and they'll be that much better heading into Kiffin's second year as they'll get a full off-season with his system + an infusion of very good recruits. FAU will actually be even better next year. Marshall also returns Litton and both of their outstanding tailbacks. I believe they only lose 2 offensive starters, and their stud defensive line will only lose 1 I believe. So both Marshall and FAU will actually be better teams next year (Scary, I know). We'll be lucky to get "bowl eligible" next year too probably.

Long story short, there won't be any CUSA championships in Murfreesboro any time soon, but maybe we can beat WKU or something next year??...?? I don't even know anymore. The present and the future is very bleak.

I'm actually to the point where I flat out feel sorry for the team and coaches. They're so far in over their head and I think they are starting to realize it. They know they have a very, very tough road ahead and it's likely to be filled with a whole bunch of losses. FAU and Marshall are going to be STACKED next year and very likely will blow us out again. Stockstill's senior year isn't going to end how many are hoping it will, and I think Rick knows that already. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

If everyone thinks things are bad now, just wait. The expectations for our team are going to be HUGE next year going into Stockstill's senior year and James' senior year along with a great defense. The problem is, the schedule next year is rough and Marshall and FAU will be losses. We'll be lucky to win 6 games next year, and fans are not gonna like that (And understandably so).

Things are gonna get real bad in the Boro. Mark my words.

Last edited:
We typically play well at home...I think we find a way to win. Our D at home with a F QB, we are in good shape

I CAN'T BELIEVE SOME OF THE POSTS ON THIS THREAD. It's Senior Day! What...You only care about them if they win a championship? Fair weather fans! I've suffered with the Raiders longer than most of you young guys have been alive. If you would be here if the Raiders were 11-0, you should be here Saturday, or you are a Fair Weather fan.

Reactions: DABLUERAIDERS
I CAN'T BELIEVE SOME OF THE POSTS ON THIS THREAD. It's Senior Day! What...You only care about them if they win a championship? Fair weather fans! I've suffered with the Raiders longer than most of you young guys have been alive. If you would be here if the Raiders were 11-0, you should be here Saturday, or you are a Fair Weather fan.
Good for you.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Really getting tired of all the injury talk. Everyone has injuries. Even with Stockstill and a healthy OL we still couldn't beat WKU in a down year. We could have had everyone healthy and we still would have lost to FAU and Marshall.

Priceless???? It's more like silliness - burning tickets to the last game of the year for a team with a 5-6 record... it's just goofy

Priceless???? It's more like silliness - burning tickets to the last game of the year for a team with a 5-6 record... it's just goofy
I think burning the faux CUSA Title game ticket sent an even stronger messsge. I retweeted it to @ChrisMassaroAD and told CM at least Brad didn’t burn the Hawaii bowl game pics.

Man, this season has sucked but we don't need to fall apart. Just chill and relax. It's entertainment at the end of the day. I'll be down there as I usually am. Just show up and enjoy the game. It's the last one of the year. Sheesh. You rather watch 2 4-7 teams duke it out in Knoxville? Come on. At leat we're playing for something. Those clowns are just playing.

Man, this season has sucked but we don't need to fall apart. Just chill and relax. It's entertainment at the end of the day. I'll be down there as I usually am. Just show up and enjoy the game. It's the last one of the year. Sheesh. You rather watch 2 4-7 teams duke it out in Knoxville? Come on. At leat we're playing for something. Those clowns are just playing.
Sadly, one of those two clown shows has owned Stockstill for the last three years.

Don't matter at the end of the day since we are still playing for a bowl and they're sitting.

Don't matter at the end of the day since we are still playing for a bowl and they're sitting.

Playing for a low tier bowl game doesn't mean anything. If it did, coaches like Jim Mora wouldn't be getting fired before the season ends (They're 5-6 and playing for a bowl this weekend too).

Are you seriously inferring we've had as much success here as Osborne did at Nebraska?
Well, our DLine coach was on the radio in Memphis this morning acting as if he didn’t have a care in the world now as a position coach at MTSU and “not having to deal with the management part of being a HC”. Zero sense of urgency. I finally just turned it off. All I could think of is how hard are you on the recruiting road looking for linemen? Mediocrity.

Look at Nebraska after Osborne retired

Dare to be great man. There's just as many (if not more) success stories after the right coaching hire was made to take a program to the next level.

Our D-Line has been pretty good this year. They have been a bright spot. Look at the number of sacks we've had.

A low tier bowl is better than 4-8 which is what Vandy and UT are playing for. If you want to bail, then bail. However, the constant criticism over stuff we can't control is getting old. We get it. You guys have been doing this for years now. What has been solved by it? Not a dang thing.

We are still playing for something. I'm going to root for them regardless. But going to a bowl is a chance for more football so yeah, I'm down for that.

If you want to bail, then bail.

I bailed long ago. Havn't been back since Minnesota kicked our teeth in at Floyd Stadium circa 2011 or 2012. Not a single penny has gone towards the program either, and it won't until wholesale changes are made.

I'd love to buy season tickets to support the program (Even though I probably wouldn't make many, if any games, since I live in Columbus, OH), however; I'm not going to support the current state of affairs. I'm of the belief that, if you are currently supporting the program, you are actually contributing to the problem by supporting the mediocrity.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT