ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MIDDLE TENNESSEE (5-3; 4-1) vs WKU (1-7; 0-4)(CBSSN)/Salute to Armed Forces, 7PM, Friday, 11/2/18

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

smithstadium_aerial.jpg

Western Kentucky University
Founded: 1906 Enrollment: 20,171 Undergrad Postgrad
Acceptance rate:
93.3%
Colors: Red and White Nickname: Hilltoppers Mascot: Big Red
Fight song: "Stand up and Cheer" (Fight song of Ohio, WKU, Montana St. and SEMOST)
Head Coach: Mike Sanford (Boise State, 2005) Record at WKU: 7-14 (2nd) Overall: Same
2016 Record: 11-3 (7-1) 2016 Bowl: Boca Raton Starters Ret./Lost: 14/12 Lettermen R/L: 52/23

Where:

Television: CBS Sports Network - Jason Horowitz (play-by-play) Danny Kanell (analyst)

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), National: Sirius: 961 (app and web player), TuneIn App: Search Middle Tennessee

Streaming: WATCH

Live Stats:
LIVE STATS

Newspapers: Daily News, wku Herald,

Message Boards: HilltopperHaven, wkuInsider, Red Towel Talk

Blogs: Inside Hilltopper Sports, Hilltopper Focus, The Red Towel

Athletic site:
wkusports.com, GoBlueRaiders.com, gbr - game day central

Media Guides: WesternKy, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: ,

Game Notes: WKU Game Notes, MT Game Notes, CUSA Game Notes

Roster: Hilltoppers, Blue Raiders

Game Previews:
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers vs. Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Prediction and Preview, Middle Tennessee vs Western Kentucky: Preview, Start Time, Prediction

Twitter: @WKUFootball, @WKUSports, @WKUSportsPics, @zach_greenwell, @MrChadBishop, @TheTowelRackWKU

Hashtags:
#100MilesofHate #MTvsWKU #BlueRaiders #BeatWKU #TrueBlue , ,

Facebook:
WKUAthletics, WKUFootball

Youtube: WKUSports,

Instagram:
WKUSports, wku_football

2017 Game Thread: Middle Tennessee (5-5, 3-3) @ Western Kentucky (5-5, 3-3) (CBSSN), 7PM, Friday, 11/17/2017

Last edited:
Last edited:
excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will take on the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers in college football action on Friday from Floyd Stadium.

Middle Tennessee comes into this one with a 5-3 record so far. The Raiders have fallen to Vanderbilt, Georgia and FIU this year while taking out TN-Martin, FL Atlantic, Marshall, Charlotte and Old Dominion.

In the ODU game, Middle Tennessee QB Brent Stockstill logged 280 yards with two TDs and one INT, and Terrelle West had a nice day on 120 yards and a TD on the ground. Gatlin Casey put up 90 yards and a TD from his four catches to lead the Raiders receivers.

Over on the Western Kentucky side, they’re sitting at 1-7 so far this year. The Hilltoppers’ lone win came against Ball State, and otherwise they've fallen to Wisconsin, Maine, Louisville, Marshall, Charlotte, Old Dominion and FIU.

In the FIU game, Western Kentucky QB Davis Shanley put up 105 yards, while Joshua Samuel managed 83 yards to lead the rush. Jacquez Sloan managed 69 yards on five receptions to lead the Toppers in receiving.

The Hilltoppers are 5-2 ATS in their last seven Friday games and 9-4 ATS int heir last 13 games in November. Western Kentucky is also 1-4 ATS in their last five conference games and 1-4 ATS versus a team with a winning record.

Meanwhile, the Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last five home games and 4-1 ATS versus a team with a losing record. Middle Tennessee is also 2-7 ATS in their last nine following an ATS win and 3-8 ATS in their last 11 following a straight-up win.

There’s really not much to say about Western Kentucky this year; they’re simply not that great of a football team. The Hilltoppers have put up a couple of good offensive efforts, but overall they’re just not scoring well.

Middle Tennessee has played pretty darn well over their last handful of games, and they’ve logged at least 21 points in each of their last five games.....

I want to destroy Western worse than we did ODU. Even though they are down, this is a rivalry game. We should have a different frame of mind for this game every year. We need to step on their face with a hobnail boot.

I want to see a 35 or 40 point beatdown. I want it established early and Brent sitting out the rest of the game from about midway of the second quarter.

Believe it or not, but I'll be there boys. Havn't been to a game in years because I live in Ohio now, but I'm flying in to spend time with my mom and thought what the hell, let's go to the game.

Unfortunately, my presence does mean we will likely lose. I literally can't recall a single game I've seen us win at home that was important and instrumental in keeping us in the conference race.

Believe it or not, but I'll be there boys. Havn't been to a game in years because I live in Ohio now, but I'm flying in to spend time with my mom and thought what the hell, let's go to the game.

Unfortunately, my presence does mean we will likely lose. I literally can't recall a single game I've seen us win at home that was important and instrumental in keeping us in the conference race.
Your bad luck will end Friday. Enjoy the blowout.

Got this email today... Will this help or hurt attendance (or have no impact)?

To the University community,

Friday will be a special – and busy – day on our campus with many significant events scheduled before and during our football game versus Western Kentucky and our 37th annual Salute to Veterans and Armed Forces. Therefore, I have decided to cancel all University classes that take place after 12:30 p.m. Fridayin order to allow students, faculty and staff more time to prepare and attend these very important activities.

Please join me in participating in these great events – and make your way to Floyd Stadium in plenty of time for kickoff!

Among Friday’s events:

·The University’s Veteran Memorial Service will begin at 3:30 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial in front of the Tom Jackson Building, All are invited to participate in this solemn and meaningful ceremony.

·A pre-game picnic for veterans and armed forces members and their families will start at 4:30 p.m. on the lawn of the Kennon Sports Hall of Fame and our annual Dr. Joe Nunley Award ceremony will begin at the picnic at 5:30 p.m.

·Raider Walk, our great pre-game tradition as the football team walks to Floyd Stadium, will commence at 4:45 p.m. in Walnut Grove in front of Peck Hall. Our other great activities, put forward by our great MT Spare (Student Programming and Raider Entertainment) will again be out on the Grove before and after Raider Walk.

·Our new head men’s basketball coach, Nick McDevitt, and the Blue Raider men’s hoops squad will host “Tailgate with Nick Before the Kick,” a preseason intra-squad scrimmage, at Murphy Center. The scrimmage will run from 5 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. with autographs available afterwards. There will be free t-shirts to the first 750 fans, free food and inflatables inside Murphy Center.

·The Blue Raiders will take on the Hilltoppers starting with the 7 p.m. kickoff at Floyd Stadium.

Remember, we wear True Blue on Fridaysto show our support!

Thanks,

Sidney A. McPhee

President

I don't think it will help that much. I think most students will see it as an opportunity to head home early for the weekend.

There are at least two dozen high school first-round playoff games scheduled on Fri. night with teams from Rutherford and contiguous counties playing in them. Probably have more MT students at these games than in Floyd on Fri. night. Letting out classes early (Do students not stay away from afternoon classes on Fri? I know I did) will only exacerbate the exodus.

With the free tix sent out and now this, at least they are trying and are thinking outside the box. It's more than they've tried before in the past.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
With the free tix sent out and now this, at least they are trying and are thinking outside the box. It's more than they've tried before in the past.
Agreed. Should look better than it has in the past for a National TV game, regardless, and this is one game we SHOULD win and win easily.

ADVERTISEMENT