ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (5-17, 3-13) vs North Texas (13-9, 9-5), (ESPN+), 9PM, Wednesday, March 19, 2021

This is worse than the TSSAA allowing teams with losing records the opportunity to play in the state playoffs by default because of low numbers in their respective Districts.

That would be worst case scenario at this point. We don't need any excuse for Massaro to sign off on any extension.
Oh I agree. I mean I would be happy for the players, but it would be solely because of the talent of the players and not the coaching and should not result in an extension or even prevent him from being fired.

I'm old enough to remember Stan Simpson was fired just two years after the Kentucky win in the NCAA by the then AD Jimmy Earle former head coach prior to Simpson and who hired Simpson as an assistant coach on his own staff.

I've wondered what Earle would say about this head coach continuing after the past three seasons???

I'm old enough to remember Stan Simpson was fired just two years after the Kentucky win in the NCAA by the then AD Jimmy Earle former head coach prior to Simpson and who hired Simpson as an assistant coach on his own staff.

I've wondered what Earle would say about this head coach continuing after the past three seasons???

He would fire CNM- he would've fired Kermit after year 5.. he also should've fired himself after his 4th year.. in fact there's only one coach in all of MTSU's history that did anything noteworthy & won consistently (no .500 or worse years) in their first 5 years (Bruce Stewart)..

Kermit was 83-67 in his first five years and made the conference tourney finals twice. Firing him at that point may have been possible but probably not likely for most mid major programs.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Kermit was 83-67 in his first five years and made the conference tourney finals twice. Firing him at that point may have been possible but probably not likely for most mid major programs.

Crazy to think back about Kermit's early years and how mad we all were. I think what was so frustrating is we usually had pretty good teams and high expectations going into the Sun Belt tournaments and every tournament we choked.

Kermit finally got over that hump once the freak injuries stopped, we got better players in here, and he hired some better assistant coaches. Once we got over that hump we never looked back.

In retrospect, it just took him a little while to figure things out and catch his breaks. He was never really a bad coach he just had to find his way.

Wish I could say the same about the current staff. They seem to be on a path of complete destruction. No building going on here that's for sure.

Bad seasons for Kermit were in the .500 range. Frustration after 5 years was he capable of getting MT to the next level? It took about 10 years for Kermit to get to the next level. Issues with Kermit were not about how bad MT was and finishing in the bottom of standings.

Bad seasons for Kermit were in the .500 range. Frustration after 5 years was he capable of getting MT to the next level? It took about 10 years for Kermit to get to the next level. Issues with Kermit were not about how bad MT was and finishing in the bottom of standings.

This.

Kermit = Stock for 9 years, then it magically all came together. The issue was, who expects a coach to “figure it out” after a decade.

McDevitt has been a complete disaster. Worse stretch in our history. If he was the man for the job, there would be some sign of life by now. At this point, the only question is when will Massaro commit a mercy killing and put this tenure down? If Massaro had any drive or mercy, he would put Nick out of our misery after tonight and fire him now. I fully expect Nick to flounder here for another 2 years.

Reactions: dukewayne
I'll tell you what scares me to death.

We finish this season with 5 wins. McDevitt hangs around because of "COVID" and because we all know Massaro is a weakling that has no willpower to do the right thing for our university and fans.

Next year we double that win total to 10 wins....looks like progress, right? We doubled our win total!!! Reality is it's just continued garbage with slightly better team. There is no difference in 5 wins or 10 wins....both teams are garbage.

But because he doubled his win total to 10 and showed an inch of progress, he gets to stay even LONGER with a possible extension because it's hard to let a coach hang around on an expiring contract...

Essentially, Nick is setting the bar so low this season that it will be next to impossible to NOT "improve" going forward from a W/L perspective. And I wouldn't put it past Massaro to extend him for such "improvement."

Such dark times. Our administrators and "leaders" make it impossible to be a fan of this university.

Reactions: Blue_H
I'll tell you what scares me to death.

We finish this season with 5 wins. McDevitt hangs around because of "COVID" and because we all know Massaro is a weakling that has no willpower to do the right thing for our university and fans.

Next year we double that win total to 10 wins....looks like progress, right? We doubled our win total!!! Reality is it's just continued garbage with slightly better team. There is no difference in 5 wins or 10 wins....both teams are garbage.

But because he doubled his win total to 10 and showed an inch of progress, he gets to stay even LONGER with a possible extension because it's hard to let a coach hang around on an expiring contract...

Essentially, Nick is setting the bar so low this season that it will be next to impossible to NOT "improve" going forward from a W/L perspective. And I wouldn't put it past Massaro to extend him for such "improvement."

Such dark times. Our administrators and "leaders" make it impossible to be a fan of this university.

That’s possible.

Massaro is on record saying he likes to give a HC time to hire different assistants because the first group may not work out.

One thing I will say that is a positive is Jayce’s improvement shooting the three. He can hit it enough now to where he has to be defended behind the arc. Before they could just sit back and let him shoot it.

CNM arguing like his job is on the line.

To the team’s credit, they have hung around longer than I expected.

Reactions: C-Bow
Won’t matter. North Texas covered the first half line, 8.5 points, and will cover the game line of 16 points. This team folds like clock work in crunch time. This will go down as the worst season in MT basketball history.

And there will be no changes, except maybe a few players bolting out.

Most predictable ending I’ve ever seen. We are criminally bad. I don’t understand how nick can keep his job. We don’t even look like we belong on the same court.

Most predictable ending I’ve ever seen. We are criminally bad. I don’t understand how nick can keep his job. We don’t even look like we belong on the same court.

They had a G5 transfer (Buffalo) that was far better apparently than our two P5 transfers, neither of whom saw any action last night. Their star player was from Memphis while MT didn't have any from TN (Sims didn't contribute much in 6 minutes, no points),

No. those in Blue really didn't belong on the same court.

Like I have said since he was hired. He couldn't hold Kermit's jock. EVER. Not even on the same planet. Kermit's worst year here is still way better than this dude's best. To even compare them is comedy gold. Maybe Randy Weil is a much more fair comparison but CMD is the worst coach we've ever had in 45+ years here. I think that is more than fair to say.

Still hasn't reached 25 wins in 3 years.

Dang! I would've won that 500.00 bet too. Y'all gotta take me up on this stuff. Daddy like money. LOL.

5 years. He somehow got another year added after the first season I believe. We still owe him at least 2 more years on his contract but that shouldn’t matter. At this point, I don’t see how we can afford to keep him here. He’s going to kill our program if he hasn’t done so already. Most would say he has.

I’ve worn blue every Friday for over 30!years today I didn’t in protest of the shape our athletics are in. I’m still all blue for life.

• Wow
Reactions: C-Bow
And Stansbury does Stansbury things. Blows a late 7 point lead and loses in OT. Second verse same as the first.

Its a shame......

and wku will likely fire Stansbury for losing tournament championship games before MT fires McDevitt for losing seasons.

The difference in cultures in BG and the boro are that different and I absolutely despise our 'leadership' for that.

In the not too distant future, M&M aka failed leaders, will be asking and pleading for support whether by attendance or financially, and they will be met with silence. Silence due to the fact that they have been running off all the fans and supporters to the point of beyond caring. The same silence they have been giving MT fans & alumni for a few years. And, covid won't be around any longer to use as an excuse or cover for their abject failure of leadership.

What is sadly in question at this point is will the damage be so severe that will MT even remain viable as a FBS G5 type school? If not, it could end up resulting in something like a return to the ovc.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT