ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee(5-17, 1-8) @ UTSA(10-12, 4-5), 3PM, Saturday, February 1, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
UTSA
Enrollment: 30,674
Arena: Convocation Center (2,650)
Colors: Navy Blue, Orange & White Nickname: Roadrunners
Head Coach: Steve Henson
Record at School: 51-49 (3 Seasons) Career Record: 51-49 (3 Seasons)
2018-19 Record: 17-15, 11-7 2018-19 Finish: T-2nd C-USA 2018-19 Postseason: N/A
Starters R/L: 3/2 Letterwinners R/L: 7/6

Twitter: @UTSAmbb

LIVE VIDEO (UTSA)

LIVE STATS (UTSA)

Date: February 1, 2020 Time: 3:00 PM CT
Arena: Convocation Center (2,650)
Series Record: MT leads 6-1

TV: ESPN+ Talent: Lincoln Rose & Jim Haller
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst) Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Thanks for the line. I may throw a few bux at that. We are starting to play a little better and utsa isn’t all that

Just watched a UTSA player stand in the paint for 6 seconds with no 3 second call........always nice to see the refs doing their job.........

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Eli Lawrence on Fire!

More fools gold......

UTSA shooting 50% from 3.....thanks to Wallace & Jackson. Everyone knows their offense flows through them.....yet....Nevermind. Not even gonna bother

Not sure what has happened to Tyson Jackson. Looked great earlier in the year and seems now the only time I ever hear his name called is him fouling someone

Just please cover the 9.....I already know we aint gonna win

these refs are a joke....i guess that's what you get with CUSA on a saturday. Absolute bottom of the barrel

I became convinced years ago that CUSA is manipulating outcomes through refs like the WWE because I refuse to believe 3 human beings can continually be as incompetent as we see from every CUSA crew unless it’s scripted.

Not as many comments when we win. That’s really sad. Glad we were able to hang on Any win on the road is a good win. Green 0-8 from 3. Unbelievable. Sims almost nonexistent. I’m not sure how we won. Great that 2 others were hot.

I may be overly optimistic, but I think we have a bright future. McDevitt could have went the transfer route and gotten some mediocre teams for his first couple of years, but in his first year he brings in pretty much all freshmen. Second year we get a couple of transfers but mostly freshmen again. With the transfer market I think pretty much anyone can come in and revamp a roster to be a solid team the first year, but does that help you in the long run? I think his strategy has been to build for the long haul and not rely on grad transfers every year to stay afloat. I will say the early results have not been what they should be with the players we have on this team. I also am not saying his strategy will not fail. All I am saying is his strategy may prove to be better for this program long-term. For the most part he has brought in players that have shown the ability to contribute at one time or another. I know not everyone is sold on Jayce and he is not likely to start on most D1 teams, but I think every team needs players like him that bring leadership and toughness every game. I am hoping Jones and Sims can be more consistent moving forward as I think they are both capable of that. I think Dishman will be an upgrade from Scurry and we bring in Fussell and hopefully another forward who can contribute. Lawrence has shown flashes just as Jackson has. Millin I think would be redshirting this year if not for Dishman and Millner injuries, so we will see about him. Bottom line is we are losing Scurry and Green after this season and gaining Dishman, Jalen Jordan, Jordan Davis, Fussell, and at least one other player. Lawrence and Jackson should be improved also. I know it is completely possible to build a winner from the beginning in today's transfer atmosphere, but I think (and hope) McDevitt's strategy proves to be worth it beginning year 3. Until then we can celebrate the wins when they come. It does not hurt to be positive even when there are many more reasons not to be.

Reactions: 1985trueblue
I would have done anything to have continued success after Kermit left. Also, the grad transfers is what I believe put Kermit’s teams over the top. He scored some diamonds.

I hope Nick turns it around big time. But this season is not a good look for him.

“I think pretty much anyone can come in and revamp a roster to be a solid team the first year, but does that help you in the long run? I think his strategy has been to build for the long haul and not rely on grad transfers every year to stay afloat.”

Reactions: MTLynn
I would have done anything to have continued success after Kermit left. Also, the grad transfers is what I believe put Kermit’s teams over the top. He scored some diamonds.

I hope Nick turns it around big time. But this season is not a good look for him.

“I think pretty much anyone can come in and revamp a roster to be a solid team the first year, but does that help you in the long run? I think his strategy has been to build for the long haul and not rely on grad transfers every year to stay afloat.”

It's not a good strategy if you completely destroy the program in two years and all the momentum we had.

Momentum is a fickle thing even without a coaching change.. when the staff left and you graduated such a successful core group the momentum was automatically reset.. you’re foolish if you think otherwise

Reactions: Hop45
Momentum is a fickle thing even without a coaching change.. when the staff left and you graduated such a successful core group the momentum was automatically reset.. you’re foolish if you think otherwise

I guess I’m just a fool then. Because when Gonzaga and Butler and heck even similar schools like ours such as Utah St have done it I don’t buy this crap like this. Similarly as Boise has done in football. It’s a mentality for losers and I don’t accept it. Sorry some people can be fine with being just ok like those AT&T commercials but I’m not one of them.

I don’t live my life that way and I don’t really want to be associated with institutions who do. So, I demand excellence from my alma maters. And folks like crposton will like to say what I think doesn’t matter. But collectively what we think does matter. If the majority accept garbage and mediocrity then we’re more likely to get that. If we demand more maybe we get more, so I don’t just prescribe to the theory well it’s too hard to build and keep it going so we just go hum accept things as they are.

The challenge is it takes leadership that demands more of itself and makes great decisions. That does not describe our current university’s leadership which is why we are staring down one of the worst basketball programs in the nation just two years removed from the top 25 and a football program that’s limping along and may need to be put out of its misery.

I guess I’m just a fool then. Because when Gonzaga and Butler and heck even similar schools like ours such as Utah St have done it I don’t buy this crap like this. Similarly as Boise has done in football. It’s a mentality for losers and I don’t accept it. Sorry some people can be fine with being just ok like those AT&T commercials but I’m not one of them.

I don’t live my life that way and I don’t really want to be associated with institutions who do. So, I demand excellence from my alma maters. And folks like crposton will like to say what I think doesn’t matter. But collectively what we think does matter. If the majority accept garbage and mediocrity then we’re more likely to get that. If we demand more maybe we get more, so I don’t just prescribe to the theory well it’s too hard to build and keep it going so we just go hum accept things as they are.

The challenge is it takes leadership that demands more of itself and makes great decisions. That does not describe our current university’s leadership which is why we are staring down one of the worst basketball programs in the nation just two years removed from the top 25 and a football program that’s limping along and may need to be put out of its misery.

2 things before I attempt to take you seriously..
1. Gonzaga hasn’t had a coaching change in over 20 years..... why even mention that program? Butler’s last 2 years haven’t been stellar.. again even more established programs experience/success have cyclical results. Utah State? That’s not a good example.. at least try similar programs that haven’t lost momentum- there’s examples out there but Utah State? Their conference results and NCAA appearances are a joke and not something to strive for..
2. Seems like you were associated with MTSU prior to 2012... I’m not sure how you survived your previous affiliation..

Last edited:
2 things before I attempt to take you seriously..
1. Gonzaga hasn’t had a coaching change in over 20 years..... why even mention that program? Butler’s last 2 years haven’t been stellar.. again even more established programs experience/success have cyclical results. Utah State? That’s not a good example.. at least try similar programs that haven’t lost momentum- there’s examples out there but Utah State? Their conference results and NCAA appearances are a joke and not something to strive for..
2. Seems like you were associated with MTSU prior to 2012... I’m not sure how you survived your previous affiliation..

1. Gonzaga. You said “even without a coaching change” in your previous post. Now that I follow up with one that includes a long tenured coach all of sudden it’s not a good example.

2. Butler. Seriously? They’ve made it to two national title games. They had one season last year with one game under .500 with what will be 13 out of the last 14 seasons with 20+ wins including multiple 30+ win seasons. You can’t be serious? SMH

3. Utah State in the last two decades has never had a 5 to 10 win season like McDevitt which we’re basically going to get for two straight years now. And while they haven’t had a huge amount of success in the NCAA Tournament they consistently get there. They’ve had one losing season in 20 years and that was a 15-17 season. Not exactly McDevitt level dumps. And they have consistently attained top 25 rankings in multiple years over this time. So, yeah you are damn right I would take that over these last two years. So, I don’t know how this isn’t a good example when the whole point I was trying to make is what you said yourself. They haven’t lost momentum. That was my whole point. It’s the thing I said I don’t buy and I don’t accept - which is what you said every program goes through. Well I guess you just helped prove yourself wrong...again.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
1. Gonzaga. You said “even without a coaching change” in your previous post. Now that I follow up with one that includes a long tenured coach all of sudden it’s not a good example.

2. Butler. Seriously? They’ve made it to two national title games. They had one season last year with one game under .500 with what will be 13 out of the last 14 seasons with 20+ wins including multiple 30+ win seasons. You can’t be serious? SMH

3. Utah State in the last two decades has never had a 5 to 10 win season like McDevitt which we’re basically going to get for two straight years now. And while they haven’t had a huge amount of success in the NCAA Tournament they consistently get there. They’ve had one losing season in 20 years and that was a 15-17 season. Not exactly McDevitt level dumps. And they have consistently attained top 25 rankings in multiple years over this time. So, yeah you are damn right I would take that over these last two years. So, I don’t know how this isn’t a good example when the whole point I was trying to make is what you said yourself. They haven’t lost momentum. That was my whole point. It’s the thing I said I don’t buy and I don’t accept - which is what you said every program goes through. Well I guess you just helped prove yourself wrong...again.

All I said was that momentum would’ve changed.. no where did I mention how far the MTSU program has changed.. my posts rarely have much to do with the tangents you go off on.. stop replying to my posts if you’re just going to run this tired circular argument..

MTSU is not Butler- it’s not Gonzaga.. and give the program more credit than bringing up Utah State..

All I said was that momentum would’ve changed.. no where did I mention how far the MTSU program has changed.. my posts rarely have much to do with the tangents you go off on.. stop replying to my posts if you’re just going to run this tired circular argument..

MTSU is not Butler- it’s not Gonzaga.. and give the program more credit than bringing up Utah State..

Butler and Gonzaga weren't that either until they were. But yeah, I have to agree we damn sure aren't that nor are we anywhere near it. We were moving in that direction until this asinine decision our AD made to make a guy who has never been outside of Asheville the highest paid coach in C-USA.

Reactions: MTTim and amgtmom
To get to butler /Gonzaga status will take a lot more than a coaching change. I’m disappointed in last 2 year in last 50 years we’ve had more disappointments than not. We need to have high expectations but realistic

Reactions: kingaling42
No one, and I mean No One, is more disappointed as to where we find ourselves here a year and a half into this coaches' tenure. But I try to look for the positive no matter how much negative I have to wade through.

We won a road conference game yesterday against the team predicted to finish 2nd.
We had a freshman score 27 points yesterday; How far back in the annals of MT basketball do we have to go to find an equal performance?
A red shirt freshman had his best game so far in a Blue Raider uniform IMHO. A pretty good floor game while he was playing. There may be hope for Crump yet.
Jones, while taking a couple of ill advised shots may be coming around after sitting out a year, adjusting to not being in a reserve role, and playing more minutes.
And did I mention: We won a conference road game!!!

Yes, there are negatives. We started the game again very poorly making unforced errors, either failing to put the defensive scout in the game (or having a bad scout) giving up layups early in the game (5 in the first 4 and 1/2 minutes; I just looked at the game again, three made IIRC and two missed), and taking bad shots (who told Johnson he has the green light to shoot threes early in the game?). Sims either needs to get in a defensive posture or work on his lateral quickness (he gave up two easy drives to the basket resulting in McDevitt taking him out each time) And Jackson has hit an early sophomore slump on the offensive end. We need his production down low.
Green scored only 6 (he was the leader in assists with 4), the two starting posts scored only 8 pts. and had 11 RBs between them, starter Johnson played only 5 minutes, and Sims scored 3 and had only 2 assists in 25 minutes yet:

Wait for it: We won the game

I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to being in The Murph for the upcoming home stand. See you there Thursday night.

I've been generally disappointed with the upper classmen (especially Green) and the freshmen have been what you would expect - inconsistent.

That said, this staff signed talented freshmen at Ashville and it looks like they are doing the same here... I think it is only a matter of time before a few of these young players consistently dominate games together.

Reactions: 1985trueblue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT