ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (4-4, 1-3) @ Louisiana Tech (2-6, 1-3), 2PM, Saturday, November 5, 2022

I'm fully expecting FAU to be a loss, Charlotte a win, and FIU 100% a toss up.

I'm almost like 1cm away from saying "take the $6m or whatever it is now from facilities and buy out Stock".

I'd be willing to bet that doing that and creating some excitement by bringing in new that we would get that $6m back pretty quickly.

...I'm almost like 1cm away from saying "take the $6m or whatever it is now from facilities and buy out Stock".

I'd be willing to bet that doing that and creating some excitement by bringing in new that we would get that $6m back pretty quickly.
I think you are right, but we'll likely never know. Stockstill is like a firmly attached tick sucking the blood out of this program. All I could think as this team was crumbling was that De Leon's job just got a whole lot harder.

This program is dead. Another loss (to a terrible team in rebuilding) and no one cares. No one cares to even be mad about it anymore. Apathy just isn’t descriptive enough to reflect where we are. The energy level for this program as a measured metric is a negative number.

The only thing more amateur than the coaching job today would be the production of the post game press conference. Good gosh that's brutal. I'm surprised they don't bring in fake press to make it look more legit. Of course that'd require trying.

In the spirit of modern "journalism" I'll list my takeaways from this press conference.

1. Coach 500 is an excuse machine. Wow!

2. Since when is he not allowed to comment on injuries. HIPAA has been around a long time and it's never stopped him, or any other coach, before.

3. Somebody needs to let him know that he doesn't need to lean forward and stick his stupid face right against the camera. I could have done without knowing that he should add a nose hair trimmer to his Christmas list.

4. As for the people asking questions: Are they required to speak in that funeral home tone, or is it by choice.

5. We're screwed.

What a great game today! Love to see it. Oh wait, we got blown out. What a surprise.

Here's one for you.

He is 105-103.

Lose last 3 (absolute possibility) he will have an overall losing record after 17 seasons of 105-106.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I am for one glad Ricky boy can go back to his multi-million dollar house and sleep well knowing no matter how bad the program is, he will get paid for years.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Does this so-called leadership have any shame?

Saw that 'ole Prez Photo-op made sure he was in front of the cameras and on the red carpet for the big concert at The Murph the other night. If only we all could get even one music industry media reporter with a camera to attend a fire Coach500 press conference, and 'ole Prez Photo-op would be there before the day is over.

I'm beyond tired or even caring enough to add any further analysis at this time. Most of us are painfully aware of the main problems and the why.

If it were me, I couldn't face anybody in public and look them in the eye for destroying the program. I have to think no one would have to tell me to hold a press conference immediately to announce that I had clearly failed to make a success of the program. For the good of the players, the program, the university, and the community, I'd announce resignation effective immediately so that someone more capable or just a better fit could give it a try to get the program back to winning and successful ways.

A regular season in basketball constitutes up to 30 games. So if Stock was our basketball coach, does that mean we would be paying him approximately $900,000 annually to lose 15 games per year?

Like many have said before, I don't blame Stockstill for getting the best contract he can get for himself. I blame McPhee and Masarro for that. I do blame him for hiring all his old buddies and letting then stay despise how poorly they are doing. He knows this athletic department doesn't have that much money but he is fine taking a huge chunk for himself and then a large chunk for his buddies that don't have to perform. Then he complains about facilities and fans after he fails to have meaningful seasons. I also believe he turns his players against the fans. You can even see it in the attitude of former players. It's like he is bitter that the fans don't show up and fill the place up, but he doesn't hold his end of the bargain up by winning games and championships.

Don't know the particulars of coach McDevitt & Insell's contract, but in comparison for fairness, integrity & equality their contracts should require no more than 15 wins annually. And a bonus for anything over 16

Like many have said before, I don't blame Stockstill for getting the best contract he can get for himself. I blame McPhee and Masarro for that. I do blame him for hiring all his old buddies and letting then stay despise how poorly they are doing. He knows this athletic department doesn't have that much money but he is fine taking a huge chunk for himself and then a large chunk for his buddies that don't have to perform. Then he complains about facilities and fans after he fails to have meaningful seasons. I also believe he turns his players against the fans. You can even see it in the attitude of former players. It's like he is bitter that the fans don't show up and fill the place up, but he doesn't hold his end of the bargain up by winning games and championships.
It starts with Massaro who has been here for 17 years. From reading his pump piece on GBR.com you would think he would have been hired away by another institution by now. Not.
CRS another 17 years with mediocre results. No one wanted him.
Not sure the average tenure for an assistant coach at one school, but would bet it’s 2-4 years. How many times have we heard Stock say we have to find a run game? Yet Polly has been here for 10 years With again mediocre results. Mallory TE/H backs-10 years which is hilarious because we don’t use either that I can see, so what does he actually do? Beckles RB coach -6 yrs. If Polly did his job, maybe Beckles would have been hired away by now. No One wanted them either.
Wont get into the Defensive side of the ball as we have had little success there. Schafer 6 yrs. West 9, been a HC but now satisfied to drift off in the sunset as a long term assistant. Don’t get me started on Brent Bock. 15 years is way too long to hold his position with no results. Not to mention his FB coaching search at FSU.
Wanna talk about the super informative, full of energy Pressers we have? Look no further than Mark Owens-17 years on the job. Still boring with nothing changing for the better. Wonder if he has anything to do with the product at the BLVD on Monday nights.
But wait Middle fans, we did get a new announcer Guy after Larry “retired”. So things are looking up.
Point being, someone is allowing all these underperformers to leach off the system, and Kill this program.
McPhee-Steve Smith-TBOR and I‘ll throw the media in there for turning a blind eye.
We’ve done all we can do from here.

Last edited:
Lots I could say about the state of MT football :

1) If you throw the Miami / CSU / TSU 3-game stretch , MT FB looks like a BAD football team right now. MT's 4 wins have come against teams with a combined record of 13-24 & Stock/MT FB have yet to beat a team with a winning record this season.

2) Stock is right : Injuries have affected MT. but they have affected other schools too. Further, "injuries" seem to be a popular reason / excuse for MT's struggles over the last few seasons. If that is the case, then the question, IMO, is simple : Why is MT hurt?
  • Is MT recruiting players that are undersized & therefore at a greater risk of injury?
  • Is MT S&C not up to par?
  • Is it just dumb luck for 4-5 seasons in a row?
3) MT has one winning season since Brent graduated in 2018. ONE. Since Brent graduated, MT has one winning season & 3 losing seasons. Why? Was Brent the glue / leader that held the program together?

4) Certain positions (RB, OL) have underperformed for several years & the staff changes made last offseason don't seem to be helping.

Even with new facilities on the way, can Stock right the ship?

I don't think so.

Reactions: Predarat

1) If you throw the Miami / CSU / TSU 3-game stretch , MT FB looks like a BAD football team right now. MT's 4 wins have come against teams with a combined record of 13-24 & Stock/MT FB have yet to beat a team with a winning record this season.

2) Stock is right : Injuries have affected MT. but they have affected other schools too. Further, "injuries" seem to be a popular reason / excuse for MT's struggles over the last few seasons. If that is the case, then the question, IMO, is simple : Why is MT hurt?
  • Is MT recruiting players that are undersized & therefore at a greater risk of injury?
3) MT has one winning season since Brent graduated in 2018. ONE. Since Brent graduated, MT has one winning season & 3 losing seasons. Why? Was Brent the glue / leader that held the program together?

4) Certain positions (RB, OL) have underperformed for several years & the staff changes made last offseason don't seem to be helping.

I don't think so.

All of the above.

S&C has been an issue for years. Recruiting is a major issue as the size of our guys compared to others has been covered here numerous times.

Recruiting to me also goes hand in hand with the staff. We need young energy there.

Stock has his system and is stubborn. He will keep it that way till it works. And if it doesn't, it isn't his fault. I really think that is how he sees it.

Facilities will help with recruiting. I've said this before. Absolutely. But we aren't going to go straight from 6 to 10 wins.

I harp on WVU on here but at times it is a good comparison. WVU has top notch facilities and top 40 recruiting classes the last several years. A couple top 25. Yet Brown still can't do it. You can have the greatest players and best facilities but nothing matters if the right coach isn't there.....and....if there isn't support from the admin to demand a HIGH standard.

I've said before it is what it is. Stock isn't going till he wants. I can't just leave MT football as it is too much a part of me. So all I can do is push for what changes can happen...ie board and admin changes, and staff. As well as facilties as if those aren't fixed then we won't get a replacement for Stock worth a snot without them.

It's frustrating. I want championships and feel we can do that here. But until then, 6 wins, 2 wins, I'm not going anywhere. I just can't walk away like others have.

Schedule 4 Top P5 OOC games every year untill he is gone. Then use all that cash to improve facilities for the next coach.
He'll win all 4 P5 OOC games and tons of buzz will be generated. Is this it?!? He righted the ship some how?!? Will it all be worth it to pull off this miracle season and then he'll retire?!? Nope. We'll get shut out by Charlotte with our home and conference opener, lose to western, and manage a 6-6 record and lose our bowl game. Contract extended. Thanks for playing. Please try again. 🤣

All of the above.

S&C has been an issue for years. Recruiting is a major issue as the size of our guys compared to others has been covered here numerous times.
I think it's VERY interesting that there is a noticeable drop off in W/L after Spray left in 2018. Stock had 3 8 win seasons in 6 years with Spray as S&C coach. He's had 3 losing seasons in the 5 years since Spray departed.
Recruiting to me also goes hand in hand with the staff. We need young energy there.
Roytston, Stock Jr, Tucker, Gilstrap and Polly are names that keep coming up with recruits. I don't see Mallory and West too much.

Gotta get better at evaluating players and bringing in players with legit FBS size. Last week, MT 3 of the 4 starting WR were under 5'10 185 pounds (according to the depth chart provided by MT).

That's small.

Facilities will help. But facilities doesn't mean a 5'8 170 WR will suddenly be 5'11 195
Stock has his system and is stubborn. He will keep it that way till it works. And if it doesn't, it isn't his fault. I really think that is how he sees it.

Facilities will help with recruiting. I've said this before. Absolutely. But we aren't going to go straight from 6 to 10 wins.

I harp on WVU on here but at times it is a good comparison. WVU has top notch facilities and top 40 recruiting classes the last several years. A couple top 25. Yet Brown still can't do it. You can have the greatest players and best facilities but nothing matters if the right coach isn't there.....and....if there isn't support from the admin to demand a HIGH standard.

I've said before it is what it is. Stock isn't going till he wants. I can't just leave MT football as it is too much a part of me. So all I can do is push for what changes can happen...ie board and admin changes, and staff. As well as facilties as if those aren't fixed then we won't get a replacement for Stock worth a snot without them.

It's frustrating. I want championships and feel we can do that here. But until then, 6 wins, 2 wins, I'm not going anywhere. I just can't walk away like others have.
Stock doesn't have an offensive system. He's run fun & gun with Mangus. He's run Air Raid with TF, Buster, and Stewart. And he's had Schultz & Simmons as well.

I don't think so.
Liberty just beat Arkansas with their third string qb

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Amazing what can be accomplished when players are coached UP
The play calling by Liberty was amazing. They clearly studied every weak point Arkansas had. It was fun to watch. To do that with their QB3 is a testament to the caoches. Auburn is coming aftre Freeze with an open pocket book. If Sanders doesn't take it, Freeze might.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
The play calling by Liberty was amazing. They clearly studied every weak point Arkansas had. It was fun to watch. To do that with their QB3 is a testament to the caoches. Auburn is coming aftre Freeze with an open pocket book. If Sanders doesn't take it, Freeze might.
Freeze would leave in a heart beat. Honestly I think he should be the priority over Deion. Deion is just out recruiting other HBCUs. That won’t continue in the SEC.

Freeze would leave in a heart beat. Honestly I think he should be the priority over Deion. Deion is just out recruiting other HBCUs. That won’t continue in the SEC.
You're telling me if Prime came to your house to recruit your son, you're turning him down? I'm a 50 year old out of shape white dude and I'd run through a wall for Coach Prime. He got the number 1 player in the country to go to JSU last year. He did out recruit the SEC for that guy.

You're telling me if Prime came to your house to recruit your son, you're turning him down? I'm a 50 year old out of shape white dude and I'd run through a wall for Coach Prime. He got the number 1 player in the country to go to JSU last year. He did out recruit the SEC for that guy.
My point is he has essentially P5 talent and is playing a HBCU schedule. He isn’t going to have the same talent gap between his players and the teams they face in the SEC. He is a great recruiter but just about everyone in the SEC is. Can he outcoach an equally talented team? We haven’t seen that yet.

My point is he has essentially P5 talent and is playing a HBCU schedule. He isn’t going to have the same talent gap between his players and the teams they face in the SEC. He is a great recruiter but just about everyone in the SEC is. Can he outcoach an equally talented team? We haven’t seen that yet.
what you are failing to get is, he is getting P5 talent with a recruiting budget of less than 50k. If he had a recruiting budget of 1million or higher, he would out recruit the SEC. He would have the money to bring in even more coaches and support staff

Definitely be fun to watch and see how he did vs other coaches in SEC.

Would we be interested in an Eddie George or type of coach?

ADVERTISEMENT