ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (4-16, 0-7) vs Southern Miss(6-14, 2-5), 5PM, Saturday, January 25, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
Enrollment: 14,845
Arena: Reed Green Coliseum (8,095)
Colors: Black & Gold Nickname: Golden Eagles
Head Coach: Jay Ladner Record at School: 1st Season Career Record: 76-88 (5 Seasons)
2018-19 Record: 20-13, 11-7 2018-19 Finish: T-2nd C-USA 2018-19 Postseason: CBI Round 1
Starters R/L: 1/4 Letterwinners R/L: 6/9

Twitter: @SouthernMissMBB

GAME NOTES

LIVE STATS

LISTEN

WATCH

Date: January 25, 2020 Time: 5:00 PM CT
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Series Record: MT leads 8-3
TV: ESPN+ Talent: Jake Rose (PxP), Duane Hickey (Analyst)
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Last edited:
Out of 353 D1 teams, we are currently tied for the 6 worst record according to the NCAA, who ignores our 3 non-D1 wins.

This is the epitome of this game. I suppose we took the seat. "Congratulations! In a conference of weak teams, you stand alone as the weakest."

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
I’ll try to be positive here. I actually prefer ugly wins versus just outshooting your opponent. Any time you can win a game and shoot a poorer FG % it’s a good thing IMO. Not gonna state the obvious about the weak opponent and how we are still a bad team.

At this point everything we are doing needs to be with next season in mind. Would like to see the young guys out there as much as possible.

What has happened to scurry ? Didn’t he average like a double double in conference play last year or something? I remember him
Being a much bigger factor. Seems like a lot of regression this year with several players. Very concerning.

One positive is we hit free throws. Good to see us make progress tonight in defensive rebounds...just enough. Still too many back door baskets given up and a few too many fouls. USM is a very weak team and managed erased our 10 point lead, any more offensive firepower would have turned this into a 5-6 point loss. Still work to do on fundamentals.

Congratulations, Blue Raiders! A hard earned victory feels nice. Let’s get 3-4 more of these between now and Bonus Play time.

We have 9 games left versus the bottom of CUSA. We have already played a few games against terrible teams this year.

We should hit double digit wins with this schedule. Absolutely no excuse to miss that minimum mark. I would consider a coach missing 10 wins this year a failure. I hope CNM does it.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
We still looked out of control almost everywhere. And I’m going to be honest. The foul that Sims drew with 1.5 seconds left was garbage. Also one reason why basketball infuriates me sometimes.
Sims drives in wild and draws a foul against a guy just stranding there? If I were southern miss I’d be pissed.

glad we won. Been a while since 12-3

Last edited:
We still looked out of control almost everywhere. And I’m going to be honest. The foul that Sims drew with 1.5 seconds left was garbage. Also one reason why basketball infuriates me sometimes.
Sims drives in wild and draws a foul against a guy just stranding there? If I were southern miss I’d be pissed.

glad we won. Been a while since 12-3

replay shows the guy moved his hips and hit sims lower body, but he plays wild misses more layups than i can remember any pg doing. scurry as well continues to throw up wild shots over triple teams. they need to learn to slow down. it was good to see the 4 freshman play good ball with good energy. still was a pillow fight. maybe this helps with getting the monkey off the back

Just tasting victory alone will do these guys wonders. Wouldn’t shock me if they went on a little roll to end the year just like last season, either.

The one thing I like about this team is their mental toughness. They've never given up on each other and even in the early blowouts they’d still fight like hell and claw their way back. They just don’t know how to close it down yet. A win, even against another bottom feeder, can pay dividends here. Let’s see how they finish it out. It’s imperative to build some semblance of momentum heading in to what will be a crucial year for CNM.

replay shows the guy moved his hips and hit sims lower body, but he plays wild misses more layups than i can remember any pg doing. scurry as well continues to throw up wild shots over triple teams. they need to learn to slow down. it was good to see the 4 freshman play good ball with good energy. still was a pillow fight. maybe this helps with getting the monkey off the back

Agree with your analysis of the replay but it must be noted that in situations like that many veteran officials will "swallow the whistle" whether they should or not (don't want to be accused of deciding the game). Lucky to get the foul called.
Also agree that Sims needs to play within himself and to his strengths. Driving among the trees for a layup is not among his strengths.
As for your and sWiley's comments on Scurry: We will be a much better team if and when he and Green regain last year's form.

Reactions: mtfblue
We have 9 games left versus the bottom of CUSA. We have already played a few games against terrible teams this year.

We should hit double digit wins with this schedule. Absolutely no excuse to miss that minimum mark. I would consider a coach missing 10 wins this year a failure. I hope CNM does it.

Not out of the woods yet. We’re half game above last and one full game from 12th in the standings. We need five wins to get to ten for the season:

This week: UTEP and UTSA. Think a road split is possible. +1, but lose both it gets really dicey to get our 10th win. UTEP is 3-5 in conference and tied with top team in the bottom pod for bonus play: that would be the more logical win to help our cause. Winning both (less likely) would take off some pressure in making C-USA tournament. Let’s say 6th win happens.

North Texas: Conference Leader by 1/2 game at 8-1 and 14-8 overall. Saving grace may be this one at home. It would take our most complete game coupled with bad UNT play to secure the win. We won’t be favored to win this one.

Rice: Must win game. It’s as simple as it gets. Think we hold court and get win #7. If not, the path to ten and the TOURNAMENT is realistically over. This would be a bad outcome if we lost here.

UAB x 2 — Really need one of these. Home is always the easier path, but frankly don’t care which at this point. Just get to #8. If we lose both, bonus play will be pressure packed to make the tournament field (probably need 3-1 to make it).

With a UAB split, this leaves us needing to go 2-2 in bonus play. Very doable. The bottom quadrant would likely be a four team combination from USM, Rice, UTEP, UAB, or Marshall. It would be a major accomplishment if we get on a mini run to earn a #10 seed and be in the second pod, but that would require 11 or even 12 wins, but would lock us in place the tournament field and perhaps a decent opportunity to win one game once we get there. That #12 seed doesn’t give any breathing room—it’s all top seeds in the tournament, beginning with #5 barring upsets. Avoid the #12, if we can.

Ten wins are an absolute must. Let’s keep playing for the best outcome!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiders_55
Not out of the woods yet. We’re half game above last and one full game from 12th in the standings. We need five wins to get to ten for the season:

This week: UTEP and UTSA. Think a road split is possible. +1, but lose both it gets really dicey to get our 10th win. UTEP is 3-5 in conference and tied with top team in the bottom pod for bonus play: that would be the more logical win to help our cause. Winning both (less likely) would take off some pressure in making C-USA tournament. Let’s say 6th win happens.

North Texas: Conference Leader by 1/2 game at 8-1 and 14-8 overall. Saving grace may be this one at home. It would take our most complete game coupled with bad UNT play to secure the win. We won’t be favored to win this one.

Rice: Must win game. It’s as simple as it gets. Think we hold court and get win #7. If not, the path to ten and the TOURNAMENT is realistically over. This would be a bad outcome if we lost here.

UAB x 2 — Really need one of these. Home is always the easier path, but frankly don’t care which at this point. Just get to #8. If we lose both, bonus play will be pressure packed to make the tournament field (probably need 3-1 to make it).

With a UAB split, this leaves us needing to go 2-2 in bonus play. Very doable. The bottom quadrant would likely be a four team combination from USM, Rice, UTEP, UAB, or Marshall. It would be a major accomplishment if we get on a mini run to earn a #10 seed and be in the second pod, but that would require 11 or even 12 wins, but would lock us in place the tournament field and perhaps a decent opportunity to win one game once we get there. That #12 seed doesn’t give any breathing room—it’s all top seeds in the tournament, beginning with #5 barring upsets. Avoid the #12, if we can.

Ten wins are an absolute must. Let’s keep playing for the best outcome!!

I would lay odds against it. I'd drop some cash on that. Maybe 5 C-notes.

This team will win more games - Green's slump has really hurt.

They will win mostly on the nights when two or three guys are shooting well.

Last edited:
Kermit lost a real heartbreaker last night. It was a fun game to watch. These SEC teams are really beating on each other in conference. Fla lost at home to Miss St, Georgia lost to Mizzou and UTK lost at home to TAMU.

Go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT