ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee(4-15, 0-6) vs LaTech(13-5, 4-2), 6:30PM, Thursday, January 23, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
LOUISIANA TECH
Enrollment: 12,467
Arena: Thomas Assembly Center (8,000)
Colors: Red & Blue Nickname: Bulldogs
Head Coach: Eric Konkol Record at School: 83-49 (4 Seasons) Career Record: 83-49 (4 Seasons)
2018-19 Record: 20-13, 9-9 2018-19 Finish: 8th C-USA 2018-19 Postseason: N/A
Starters R/L: 4/1 Letterwinners R/L: 9/3
Twitter: @LATechHoops

WATCH

LIVE STATS

Date: January 23, 2020 Time: 6:30 PM CT
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Series Record: LT leads 12-5

TV: ESPN+ Talent: Jake Rose (PxP), Duane Hickey (Analyst)
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Man, this was another tough loss. We finally started getting it together in the 2nd half, but that hole we dug for ourselves in the 1st half was just too great to overcome.

*I went ahead and posted my comments on tonight's game to get it out of the way since I was already here and we all know how it's going to go.*

Last edited:
I have no desire to drive over to Murfreesboro for this .

But.....watching Penny Hardaway and his “#1 recruiting class” get schooled on ESPNU last night by a REAL basketball coach in a 40-point curb stomping at Tulsa was quite enjoyable. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue_H and MTTim
I cannot even be bothered to watch anymore. Same predictable results every game regardless of opponent. Only outlier was FAU and we still managed to give that game away. I don’t know what else to say or do at this point. Nobody likes a loser. Nobody.

Reactions: Blue_H
0-7 in conference. Last time that happened was in Stan Simpson's next to last season, 1982-83 season. Simpson's team won the next game at home against Austin Peay State. MT had beat Peay in second game of season in a tournament which did not count in conference. MT won three ovc games that season.

Interesting that in Simpson's last season as well as Weil's last season, their teams rebounded somewhat from their worst seasons which were their next to last seasons.

Man, this was another tough loss. We finally started getting it together in the 2nd half, but that hole we dug for ourselves in the 1st half was just too great to overcome.

*I went ahead and posted my comments on tonight's game to get it out of the way since I was already here and we all know how it's going to go.*

Spot on!

*Enter CNM advocate*
The toughness to keep fighting and not quit, despite being down 20, is strictly a culture thing. CNM is building his program. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but they were laying bricks every hour

Reactions: 1985trueblue
0-7 in conference. Last time that happened was in Stan Simpson's next to last season, 1982-83 season. Simpson's team won the next game at home against Austin Peay State. MT had beat Peay in second game of season in a tournament which did not count in conference. MT won three ovc games that season.

Interesting that in Simpson's last season as well as Weil's last season, their teams rebounded somewhat from their worst seasons which were their next to last seasons.
Austin Peay would destroy this MT team this year. They are undefeated in the OVC along with Murray St.

*Enter CNM advocate*
The toughness to keep fighting and not quit, despite being down 20, is strictly a culture thing. CNM is building his program. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but they were laying bricks every hour

We have won 1 game vs a D1 team.

It’s simple, a coach typically deserves 3 seasons if he shows progress. Winning only 11, then regressing is not building a thing.

If we finish with single digit wins this season total after only 11 wins last year, he is not building. He is fail and should be fired.

Massaro is such an idiot though, I expect a contract extension when 95% of ADs would fire him.

Reactions: dukewayne
We have won 1 game vs a D1 team.

It’s simple, a coach typically deserves 3 seasons if he shows progress. Winning only 11, then regressing is not building a thing.

If we finish with single digit wins this season total after only 11 wins last year, he is not building. He is fail and should be fired.

Massaro is such an idiot though, I expect a contract extension when 95% of ADs would fire him.

St Bonnie 65-66
Marshall 75-79
FAU 94-97
3 losses by a combined 8 points. That is 1 possession a game. That is a few missed free throws, that is one bad turnover or honestly just one bad foul call! If the ball bounces our way a few times we’re looking at 7-13 with ~12-13 games to play.... brick by brick

Maybe if we didn't have brick after brick in darn near EVERY first half, we could actually win a game. Geez......he's definitely building something brick by brick. It's called an even worse losing season than last year. No progress.

Maybe if we didn't have brick after brick in darn near EVERY first half, we could actually win a game. Geez......he's definitely building something brick by brick. It's called an even worse losing season than last year. No progress.
This is a legit question, I’m genuinely curious. Who is this teams leader? The captain, maybe not the person designated as captain, but who leads and makes this team go?

St Bonnie 65-66
Marshall 75-79
FAU 94-97
3 losses by a combined 8 points. That is 1 possession a game. That is a few missed free throws, that is one bad turnover or honestly just one bad foul call! If the ball bounces our way a few times we’re looking at 7-13 with ~12-13 games to play.... brick by brick

They are still losses. Not interested in moral victories. We are what our record is. No other way to spin it. I have tried giving CNM the benefit of the doubt, but we are regressing. For the first time in 20 years, I will not be watching a game at the Murphy Center this year.

How many days until baseball season?

I have no desire to drive over to Murfreesboro for this .

But.....watching Penny Hardaway and his “#1 recruiting class” get schooled on ESPNU last night by a REAL basketball coach in a 40-point curb stomping at Tulsa was quite enjoyable. :D

I have never been impressed in Hardaway but that's probably because the only time I remember seeing him play was in the TSSAA tournament in The Murph. I realize he had a long NBA career but I don't remember ever seeing him play, perhaps because he wasn't ever on a top team.
Regardless, on to my point. Having a good career in the NBA doesn't make you a good prospective college coach at Memphis, Michigan, or Vanderbilt. I realize Hardaway had good high school (where he obviously learned how to violate rules in recruiting) and AAU teams, that Howard was an NBA assistant for a few years and that Stackhouse coached in the D-league but neither of these positions give a person the seasoning which should be required for a Power 5 head coach.
I won't be surprised and won't shed a tear if each fails in his present position. I like coaches who come up through the ranks and pay their dues. (I hope this screed doesn't appear racist - I just can't think of similar non-Black examples off of the top of my head.)

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Austin Peay would destroy this MT team this year. They are undefeated in the OVC along with Murray St.

A brief look at rpi rankings this morning shows that among all 12 D-1 programs in the state MT is above only Tech. Even Lipscomb who we beat earlier is ranked a few spots above the Blue Raiders. We have gone from being ranked in the top 3 or 4 (a few times the top) in-state teams to among the bottom nationally. We were so close to becoming that national program Davis kept talking about and look at us now.

Has kingaling created a second account?

If you don't like what I have to say then why does my name always end up in these posts.. I'm not bipolar like some folks I've seen play both sides of an argument on here.. when you get that frog out of your throat you should still keep my name out of your mouth..

Last edited:
What makes it worse is that the MBB program was at such heights two years that it magnified the issues with our FB program. Now the MBB is worse off than the FB program. Think about that how big of a fall that is. We're in year two which rightfully was billed as the next step year, but instead we get regression. At least with FB, we don't approach every game knowing that it's going to be a loss.

I have never been impressed in Hardaway but that's probably because the only time I remember seeing him play was in the TSSAA tournament in The Murph. I realize he had a long NBA career but I don't remember ever seeing him play, perhaps because he wasn't ever on a top team.
Regardless, on to my point. Having a good career in the NBA doesn't make you a good prospective college coach at Memphis, Michigan, or Vanderbilt. I realize Hardaway had good high school (where he obviously learned how to violate rules in recruiting) and AAU teams, that Howard was an NBA assistant for a few years and that Stackhouse coached in the D-league but neither of these positions give a person the seasoning which should be required for a Power 5 head coach.
I won't be surprised and won't shed a tear if each fails in his present position. I like coaches who come up through the ranks and pay their dues. (I hope this screed doesn't appear racist - I just can't think of similar non-Black examples off of the top of my head.)

If you had to put the disclaimer that in there makes it seem racist. So i guess Chris Mullen when he was at St. Johns was earned? Rex Chapman being an NBA executive was earned? Steve Kerr getting the Golden State Warriors was earned? See there are plenty of examples besides the 3 black coaches that have been coaching at various levels.

Prior to last night when USM beat UAB I has thought Sat. night would be the best opportunity to get off of the schneid. If not the next opportunity will be a couple of weeks away against Rice. Any other win will clearly be an upset.

Reactions: Blue_H
If you had to put the disclaimer that in there makes it seem racist. So i guess Chris Mullen when he was at St. Johns was earned? Rex Chapman being an NBA executive was earned? Steve Kerr getting the Golden State Warriors was earned? See there are plenty of examples besides the 3 black coaches that have been coaching at various levels.

You obviously have more NBA knowledge than me. I accept that the three you list are equal examples of limited college coaching experience. To be honest I have no idea about their coaching careers (I do remember Mullen's playing career at St. Johns and coming back to coach there)
Regardless, I was mentioning the three recent examples who are getting so much attention, both nationally and locally, all of for whom their coaching experience (or lack of) is known and just happen to be black.

St Bonnie 65-66
Marshall 75-79
FAU 94-97

Agree to disagree. I am results driven. Brick by brick means wins, not coming close. If we don’t have 10 plus wins this season , we regressed from last season.

That’s not building anything. That would indicate less than 7 D1 wins in year 2, which doesn’t warrant getting a third season IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT