ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (4-13, 0-4) @ Florida Atlantic(11-6, 3-1), 6PM, Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Middle Tennessee (4-13, 0-4 C-USA) at Florida Atlantic (11-6, 3-1 C-USA)

Florida Atlantic
Enrollment: 30,759
Arena: FAU Arena (2,980)
Twitter: @FAU_Hoops
Colors: Blue & Red Nickname: Owls
Head Coach: Dusty May Record at School: 17-16 (1 Season)
Career Record: 17-16 (1 Season)
2018-19 Record: 17-16, 8-10 2018-19 Finish: T-9th 2018-19 Postseason: CIT Round 1
Starters R/L: 4/1 Letterwinners R/L: 7/5

LIVE VIDEO (FAU)
LIVE STATS (FAU)
TWITTER UPDATES

Date: January 16, 2020 Time: 6:00 PM CT
Series Record: MT leads 19-5
TV: ESPN+ Talent: Frank Forte (PxP), Jonathan Fraysure (Analyst)
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

The 5th conference game last season was the first conference win... will it be this season too?

I cannot believe we are going to lose this game......picked a bad time to forget how to complete a pass........

Night yall im going to bed I can't watch this over time I already know how it's gonna go

We can't even win a game shooting 58% from 3..........

Just speechless. Don't even have the will or energy to put into words how frustrating, depressing, and just pathetic this team is.

McDevitt - once again - shows he's not a legit D1 coach.

Game should have been won in regulation. What was the point of the foul at 2.7 sec if you weren't going to foul on the inbounds. Not only did they not foul they didn't even defend. Wide open look for a three. OT and loss. This guy is just so far in over his head.

Why did I even bother??

Reactions: blueraiderJT
McDevitt - once again - shows he's not a legit D1 coach.

Game should have been won in regulation. What was the point of the foul at 2.7 sec if you weren't going to foul on the inbounds. Not only did they not foul they didn't even defend. Wide open look for a three. OT and loss. This guy is just so far in over his head.

Why did I even bother??
I don't any more.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I also thought they should’ve fouled a bit earlier just before/around mid court before FAU called the timeout.. but If they had attempted the foul on Ingram on the inbounds it was a catch and shoot play- it likely would’ve been 3 FTs due to act of shooting motion even on the turn.. fouling before the ball is inbounded could’ve easily been ruled as intentional so the announcers were off in that suggestion..

Easy to say in hindsight that they could’ve would’ve should’ve etc.. Sims could’ve simply made a FT at the end to seal it but he missed the front end of the 1&1.... or not turned it over 3 times in the same play..that’s a frustrating result

Last edited:
Same. That will be the last blue raider game I watch this year. We can’t even win shooting lights out from 3. We give up way too many easy baskets and never get any ourselves. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team settle for so many jumpers and bad shots.

Terrible passing, hardly any assists, just a bunch of 1 on 1 dribble hand offs and throw up a shot. Tonight a bunch fell and we still couldn’t win. Out defense is terrible. What is nicks excuse now for our defense now that we made some shots ? FAU had the more athletic players and it showed. Oh yea why didn’t we foul OR defend the 3 that allowed OT ? What about the 2 terrible turnovers to give them 2 easy free baskets at the end ? I think Kermit’s head would have legit exploded if his players allowed that and we would be holding funeral services for him tomorrow....

I could go on for an hour about all the problems with this team......I’m just tired and don’t care anymore. They suck, straight up.

Same. That will be the last blue raider game I watch this year. We can’t even win shooting lights out from 3. We give up way too many easy baskets and never get any ourselves. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team settle for so many jumpers and bad shots.

Terrible passing, hardly any assists, just a bunch of 1 on 1 dribble hand offs and throw up a shot. Tonight a bunch fell and we still couldn’t win. Out defense is terrible. What is nicks excuse now for our defense now that we made some shots ? FAU had the more athletic players and it showed. Oh yea why didn’t we foul OR defend the 3 that allowed OT ? What about the 2 terrible turnovers to give them 2 easy free baskets at the end ? I think Kermit’s head would have legit exploded if his players allowed that and we would be holding funeral services for him tomorrow....

I could go on for an hour about all the problems with this team......I’m just tired and don’t care anymore. They suck, straight up.

This sums up everything I've been saying.

90+ points in a game and still couldn't win. I'm tired of complaining about the lack of defense. What else can be said that hasn't already been said repeatedly.

Easy to say in hindsight that they could’ve would’ve should’ve etc.. Sims could’ve simply made a FT at the end to seal it but he missed the front end of the 1&1.... or not turned it over 3 times in the same play..that’s a frustrating result

This... And Tyson Jackson needs to be smarter with 4 fouls. We needed him down the stretch.

In defense of Tyson Jackson, FAU had 3 post players to throw at him that were bigger than him. Jackson helped to get a few fouls on a couple of those players from the early going. Unfortunately, it was a war of attrition on the inside and MT lacked the big bodies to help absorb the fouls.

Again, many of us were trying to sound the alarm that they needed frontcourt size for the long grind through C-USA. I had hoped CNM knew what he was doing, but it looks like our doubts & concerns were for good reason. Just like everything else....

Thanks Massaro & McPhee. It sickens me to see what has been done to this program.

Several of the fouls by Jackson, Millner, and Scurry were simply poor decisions without regard to the situation- especially once you're in foul trouble.. trying to reach over the back to knock away entry passes (all 3).. one play in particular Millner after denying the entry pass to Zecevic and with the guard dribbling away from them as the shot clock is winding down- Millner chucks Zecevic with 2 forearms in the back for position 12 feet from the basket.. Zecevic was never going to get the ball back.. stuff like that is simply bad situational awareness/very poor decisions..

Much of the final 3:45 of that game in regulation went the same..

I don't question the strategy to foul or not so much at the very end since CNM was trying to get Green to foul the FAU ball handler before he crossed half-court in watching the replay this afternoon.. but taking the 2nd to last timeout at 3:45 to play after Johnson's layup to take the lead to 11 at 80-69 instead of just waiting for the U4 dead-ball/media timeout is curious to me.. I'm guessing CNM needed to rest the guys once Johnson hit the layup but after that the comedy of errors started up.. I think if you're going to be critical of CNM for anything in particular it would be of that decision to call that time out with momentum on your side and the U4 media timeout still in play..

After the timeout, 3:45 to play
- Forrest pulls up for dribble drive jumper- 80-71
- Sims subsequently fumbles the ball 3 x leading to TO/layup- 80-73
- After inbounds, Green about to be double-teamed lollipops a pass to Johnson (who also doesn't meet the ball), TO, FAU layup- 80-75
Then CNM rightly burns his final timeout with 2:45 to settle the team..
2 timeouts, 2 live ball turnovers resulting in a 6-0 run in 1 minute of action

After that final timeout; 2:45 to play
- Jones forces wing to baseline drive pullup (contested by Sillins and fading away)- miss, FAU rebound
-2:09 FAU makes FT jumper: 80-77
1:38 Sims jacks contested 3 off dribble but makes it: 83-77 (official review confirms he was behind the line)
1:27 Jones gets pinned by Sillins on wing screen/off ball allowing pass to corner, Scurry can't help much but he was slightly out of position as well; the shot is slightly contested but very open look for made 3 FAU pointer: 83-80
1:11 Green steps out of bounds receiving pass in halfcourt offense- he had a good game finally but this TO shouldn't happen for a red-shirt senior.
59.3 FAU makes contested jumper; 83-82
33.5 Green misses contested layup/ FAU board
29.2 Forrest flails on the drive/Sims called for something- Forrest misses both- Scurry/Sillins tied up for rebound- MTSU possession arrow.
19.4 Sims fouled- misses front end of 1:1
FAU subsequently misses wide open corner 3 (Forrest); Millner fouled on rebound
Millner make both FT's and meanwhile instead of being able to call a timeout after the 2nd made FT by Millner to talk/regroup and communicate without tipping off the FAU bench- CNM and staff are telegraphing what they want the players to do.. Green doesn't foul FAU early enough and the FAU timeout is granted.. so aside from the player controlled miscues, I question the 3:45 timeout most of all because if he still had that one in his pocket it would've enabled clearer communication to the team and kept the FAU bench from knowing what the MTSU defense was trying to do.. just my $0.02

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT