ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (3-9, 1-5) vs UAB (12-2, 5-1) (CBSSN), 8PM, Thursday, January 28, 2021

kingaling42: I agree that fatigue possibly paid a role (didn't realize Lawrence wasn't available - watched on CBSsn and didn't listen to pre or post game show) but the problems after we stretched our lead to 10 pts cannot all be blamed on lack of depth, conditioning, or practice time.

I would like to know how many mental errors we had at the end of the game. Unforced errors, defensive lapses (giving up layups by not filling the defensive position when a point penetrates, etc.) and bad (some horrendous) shots.)

We just don't play within ourselves and value each possession come "nut cutting" time. We just don't.

And as for King - how the h--l was he rated by some rating services as a 4 star player? Gotta think we got him after he was asked by Howland to look for a new home. Coleman-Jones - I've seen Northwestern play several times this year and don't doubt he was in the same situation (although I do understand a high rating for someone with his length). Jury is still out on 3 star Davis but so far the results on our highly-rated (and starred) transfers is not encouraging.

No doubt- that’s why I said it played a part down the stretch.. certainly not the only issue but hard to say it wasn't a major factor.

The result was irritating as these guys need to learn how to win some games- and they played really really well for 30 minutes.. 9 of the 13 turnovers in the 2nd half were live ball turnovers which just kill you against anyone- but especially a transition team like UAB..

Turnovers Broken down by the ~4 minute media timeouts
4 turnovers at the U16 mark- MTSU up 41-37 (2 live ball turnovers, -4 points (1 FT, 1 3-ball)
1 turnover until U12 mark- MTSU up 46-41 (live ball TO which resulted in 2 points- the 4 offensive rebounds play)
3 turnovers until u8 mark- score tied 51-51 (all 3 live ball TO's, 2 layups, 1 dunk), -6 pts
3 turnovers until MTSU timeout (4:05 mark)- UAB up 53-61 (3 live ball TO's, 2 layups, 1 non-shooting foul on MTSU).-4 pts
2 meaningless turnovers to end the game- no points

16 points on live turnovers alone in the 2nd half

The 7 minute scoring drought riddled with poor shots was the icing on that cake.. scored one point from the 9:54 mark to the 3:00 mark.. outscored 22-1 in that stretch with 10 of those points off of live ball TO's and all for layups/dunks..

Coaching?

And the softballs lobbed by the two interviewers in that postgame presser was more of a sympathy session. As long as we have these young guys working their way up and afraid to lose access, the tough questions will never be asked. Sorry Oliver but it is what it is.

Couldn't agree more about the postgame questions.. My favorite was Josh asking JV how you keep the scoring struggles/droughts to 30 seconds or a minute.. someone let him know that with the invention of the shot clock and alternating possessions it's really hard to keep scoring droughts down to 1 minute- more less 30 damn seconds... everyone is going to miss 1-2 shots in a row from time to time.. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT