ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (3-9, 1-5) vs UAB (12-2, 5-1) (CBSSN), 8PM, Thursday, January 28, 2021

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Date: January 28, 2021 Time: 8:00 PM CT
Series Record: UAB leads 13-9

TV: CBS Sports Network
Talent: Chris Hassel (PxP), Mike O'Donnell (Analyst)

Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn)
Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)

UAB Blazers (12-2, 5-1)
Head Coach:
Andy Kennedy
Record at UAB: 12-2 (1st Season) Overall Record: 278-171 (14th Season)

UAB NOTES (PDF)
MT Game Notes

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiders_55
First season back at his alma mater and Kennedy already has them (12-2, 5-1) in first place. And I believe he has 9 new players on the roster with 5 leftovers from last season. The previous guy was 79-57 in 4 years.

Go figure.

Last edited:
First season back at his alma mater and Kennedy already has them (12-2, 5-1) in first place. And I believe he has 9 new players on the roster with 5 leftovers from last season. The previous guy was 79-57 in 4 years.

Go figure.

Gotta think with the success we had had in almost becoming that "national brand" we could have hired a coach with enough connections to prevent us from "falling of of a cliff".

Gotta think with the success we had had in almost becoming that "national brand" we could have hired a coach with enough connections to prevent us from "falling of of a cliff".

That's why I thought Grensing made the most sense. Why not go with the coach that helped in that push for us to become a national brand?

When Jordan Davis is aggressive and controlling the tempo and the press they’re a different team.. these last 10 minutes he’s drifting to the wing and letting Shuler or others run the top and it’s an entirely different flow.. can’t play 33 good minutes and beat good teams

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Nothing new to see here. When the chips are down we fold. I didn’t watch the game but just looking at the flow we were up 10 with under 10
To go and still lost by 11. It takes effort to be that incompetent in my opinion.

It just all seems like a lost cause at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I haven't seen that kind of epic collapse since Florida State disappeared against the Raiders in the second half of a first round game in the 1989 ncaa tourney...

When we gave up 5 offensive rebounds on one possession, momentum flipped and we never recovered

Nothing new to see here. When the chips are down we fold. I didn’t watch the game but just looking at the flow we were up 10 with under 10
To go and still lost by 11. It takes effort to be that incompetent in my opinion.

It just all seems like a lost cause at this point.
But we got us a new OC.........from Kansas. 😂

I’m waiting on Wiley to weigh in. He took those points. 😂

bought dogecoin instead

and I’m not kidding.

Don’t gamble much anymore. This year has been awful when it comes to predicting teams. Been gambling over 20 years and this is the most schizophrenic season I’ve ever seen, by far. College kids just cannot be relied upon, especially when there’s heightened external pressures.

What's amazing is that we played probably our best 30 minutes of the season and then followed that right up with maybe our worst 10 minutes of the season. How does that happen?

What's amazing is that we played probably our best 30 minutes of the season and then followed that right up with maybe our worst 10 minutes of the season. How does that happen?

Coaching?

And the softballs lobbed by the two interviewers in that postgame presser was more of a sympathy session. As long as we have these young guys working their way up and afraid to lose access, the tough questions will never be asked. Sorry Oliver but it is what it is.

Last edited:

It was also clear last night that the limited guard depth/conditioning was part of the equation down the stretch- Davis played 37 minutes, Shuler 36 minutes, Jayce 34 minutes (he only averages 15/game)- no Sims, Jordan, or Lawrence in this one.. they tried to sub King in and you saw that result, so you had limited options when the mistakes started snowballing with the 1-3-1 defense & pressure the Blazers applied.. that's a lot of game minutes for Shuler coming off of quarantine.. still wish Davis would've handled the ball more in that stretch to direct motion/control tempo- thought he did a great job of that in the first half. Shuler needs to play more off the ball- using his slashing style off of motion and coming from the wing..

Spot on analysis. I always appreciate your X's & O's breakdown.

I don't mean this to come across as an attack, more of my observation. But watching last night I couldn't help but wonder how King got an $EC offer. It just looked like the game was too fast for him.

Was glad to see Tyson Jackson get quality minutes, and play defense without fouling.

At this point, we just need to hope we are healthy, and everyone is in game shape come March. Just where this team is right now. Hard to get chemistry and flow when the rotation is never consistent.

Reactions: kingaling42
kingaling42: I agree that fatigue possibly paid a role (didn't realize Lawrence wasn't available - watched on CBSsn and didn't listen to pre or post game show) but the problems after we stretched our lead to 10 pts cannot all be blamed on lack of depth, conditioning, or practice time.

I would like to know how many mental errors we had at the end of the game. Unforced errors, defensive lapses (giving up layups by not filling the defensive position when a point penetrates, etc.) and bad (some horrendous) shots.)

We just don't play within ourselves and value each possession come "nut cutting" time. We just don't.

And as for King - how the h--l was he rated by some rating services as a 4 star player? Gotta think we got him after he was asked by Howland to look for a new home. Coleman-Jones - I've seen Northwestern play several times this year and don't doubt he was in the same situation (although I do understand a high rating for someone with his length). Jury is still out on 3 star Davis but so far the results on our highly-rated (and starred) transfers is not encouraging.

Spot on analysis. I always appreciate your X's & O's breakdown.

I don't mean this to come across as an attack, more of my observation. But watching last night I couldn't help but wonder how King got an $EC offer. It just looked like the game was too fast for him.

Was glad to see Tyson Jackson get quality minutes, and play defense without fouling.

At this point, we just need to hope we are healthy, and everyone is in game shape come March. Just where this team is right now. Hard to get chemistry and flow when the rotation is never consistent.

Bingo- The game is too fast for King now and hard to say if he'll ever get comfortable at game pace- he needs some time/game reps to get used to the lights, pressure, speed etc but you just can't count on him to be well-rounded.. first half he was on the opposite wing and a nice skip pass found him squared up ready to shoot from a spot- he drills it no problem because he he can make those with the best shooters around.. he just had to catch and shoot.. but put him on the move or in a set play and he's late or out of position most times.. on defense he's improved from the beginning of the year (his energy and effort mostly) but his tall/slender build puts him on smaller/quicker/stronger guys and with his high center of gravity he's actually worse than Antonio Green and Sims were the last 2 years in terms of staying in front on anyone... his turnover play down the stretch had 3 miscues alone, he picked up his dribble in the backcourt with no real pressure, lollipops the pass to Davis with the defender in the passing lane- then after turning it over was nailed to the floorboards and couldn't move his feet in transition to play any defense whatsoever, gets blown by at 35 feet away for layup.. he's gotta be like a 2-3 possession guy in the first half type of rotation right now- put him in with spot up shooting situations when you're playing some type of full court zone or halfcourt junk-zone defense and when you need to give another guy a quick rest or pep talk/disciplinary substitution.. some game reps would help tease out what he's going to end up being but he's a pure liability right now when it matters.

ADVERTISEMENT