ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (3-4) vs. Belmont (4-3), 7:30PM, Saturday, November 30, 2019

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
BELMONT

Enrollment: 8,481
Website: belmontbruins.com Colors: Navy, Red & White Nickname: Bruins
Arena: Curb Event Center (5,000)
Head Coach: Casey Alexander Record at School: 1st Season Record: 137-120 (8 Seasons)
Twitter: @BelmontMBB
2018-19 Record: 27-6, 16-2
2018-19 Finish: T-1st OVC
2018-19 Postseason: NCAA Round 1
Starters R/L: 3/2 Letterwinners R/L: 10/3

Game Notes

Date: November 30, 2019 Time: 7:30 PM CT Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Series Record: MT leads 22-17

TV: Stadium Talent: Josh Appel (PxP), Tim Scarborough (Analyst)

Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)

Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Last edited:
CUSA is 4-0 against the ovc so far this year but none of the games have involved belmont or Murray State.

CUSA vs OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE (4-0)

W @Western Kentucky 76, Tennessee Tech 64 • Nov. 5
W @WKU 97, Austin Peay 75 • Nov. 9
W WKU 79, @Eastern Kentucky 71 • Nov. 15
W @Washington, DC: FIU 89, EKU 70 • Nov. 22

Belmont @Middle Tennessee • Nov. 30
Middle Tennessee @Murray State • Dec. 7

Marshall @Morehead State • Dec. 16
Eastern Kentucky @Marshall • Dec. 19
Belmont @Western Kentucky • Dec. 28

Very interested to see how this game shakes out. We are back in our home gym so there is no excuse for our scorers to not score. Expecting a major shoot-out as we will likely continue to be a sieve on defense and fouling machine.

Very interested to see how this game shakes out. We are back in our home gym so there is no excuse for our scorers to not score. Expecting a major shoot-out as we will likely continue to be a sieve on defense and fouling machine.

Sure there is. Belmont plays defense. We will be our typical out of control most of the night where Belmont makes our "athletes" uncomfortable. And then we won't play defense on the perimeter and Belmont will drain 15 threes (or more).

Is this an actual joke ? 17-0 run ? We haven’t scored in 5+ minutes ? This is a pathetic team make all the excuses you want about freshmen there’s plenty of people on that court who played last year. We don’t even look like we belong on the same court as Belmont....in our own gym. Makes me literally sick to my stomach. Regression for sure in year 2. I am not on board with this train wreck any more

They really increased their defensive effort under 10:00. The 1-3-1 seems to have helped them pick up their intensity.

Now, let's see if they can carry that intensity into the second half.

How are we such awful shooters at home?

Like I said in the other thread, our offense is crap. It seems we make no effort to create easy baskets. The focus is all on match ups and motion and it never creates anything easy. This offense does a great job at creating hard shots for itself.....thus our bad FG% explained....

As soon as someone posts we lead no one says anything. When we were losing a bunch of complaining. I am at the game and sitting here wishing Jayce Johnson was 6’8”.

Probably because no one wants to jinx us.

As soon as someone posts we lead no one says anything. When we were losing a bunch of complaining. I am at the game and sitting here wishing Jayce Johnson was 6’8”.

You were saying?

Looks like another double digit loss to me.

Well I was going to but they got the lead back so fast and then proceeded to win by double digits.....so......

I stand by my previous statements. Regression in year 2.

If they wouldn't start every game by getting down by 20 points they might have a chance to win a few. Mcdevitt needs to switch something up. I don't know of he needs to change their pregame drills, warm ups or what, but something needs to change. Hell, even if they have to have a full on scrimmage before the game to loosen them up. just do it.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
You were saying?

Looks like another double digit loss to me.
The outcome of the game has nothing to do with what I was saying. They showed a lot of fight coming back and no one was giving them credit for that. They need to start games better no doubt, but there is potential.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I like that Jackson kid! He’s gonna be impressive next year after a year of building his body. The limited bench and fatigue issues are obvious. We were definitely the most athletic team but no depth. Nicks presser said it all. We have 7 players that are playing. There’s no way we are beating a veteran team. I’m glad Jackson has been thrown in the fire.

The thing about a team like Belmont is they have basketball players and we have athletes we hope to have become basketball players...

Reactions: MTTim
A loss to Belmont always sucks.

To my eyes, it appeared that the team finally demonstrated some defensive effort and fight. They didn't bring it in the first 10 mins of the game, and ultimately that was the difference in the game. MT finally demonstrated some defensive effort and intensity which got them right back into the game. It appeared that in the final 5 mins the Blue Raiders ran out of gas. Of course a quality team like Belmont also knows how to close out a hard fought game with a win. Hopefully, that is something MT will be learning this year.

Even with fighting back with great effort from an early deficit, tonight's game is a typical example of the results. The rallying team usually runs out of gas in the closing minutes from expending tremendous energy just getting back into the game. The lack of quality depth did not help either.

While the final outcome was still not what us MT fans wanted, I was glad and pleased to see the team finally start to fight with good defensive effort. Last week in SC was stomach churning having to watch that performance of little effort and no fight. You can't do anything with a team lacking effort and fight. Once those young athletic men learn how to consistently defend and fight, their offense will eventually come along and develop. Again, you gotta have that defensive effort to start with. If this team can continue and build upon the effort in this game, they have a good shot at improving over the weeks and months ahead.

It seems for the first time that I've seen that CNM was really fired up and trying to motivate his players. Funny how that works. CNM was even working up a sweat. In sports in general, it appears that the team takes on the demeanor and attitude of the HC. Tonight's game was an excellent example of that. CNM is likely going to have to stay animated and intense of the sideline to help teach and motivate the young team.

Johnson & Jackson are really starting to exhibit signs of growth on the offensive side. I was fairly impressed with those two tonight.

It was nice to finally see the Blue Raiders keep an opponent from approaching 50 points in the 1st half. Typically, holding an opponent to 30 - 35 points in the first half will at least leave you with a decent chance to be in the game in the 2nd half.

It was refreshing to see some good defense being played in the Murphy Center again, even if only for just over half of the game. Defense is the identity and tradition that has been established esp in the recent past. Continuing tough defense is an identity that must be embraced regardless where new coaches and players come from.

How are we such awful shooters at home?

Did you see us at coastal gym ?

Just a bad team with poor shooters. Simple as that. The few shooters we do have get locked up on D or either only show up for 1 half. This really is just a bad team. No other way to sugar coat. Way too many flaws, and quite literally zero strengths.

The outcome of the game has nothing to do with what I was saying. They showed a lot of fight coming back and no one was giving them credit for that. They need to start games better no doubt, but there is potential.

I gave them credit (so maybe you need to go back, reread, and work on comprehension), but I wasn't going to start acting like we were witnessing the '87 Lakers. Wanted to see how they would finish and playing good for 15 out of 40 minutes isn't really anything to get excited about. I really wanted to see if they could keep up the defensive effort and intensity like they did in the final 10 minutes of the first half, but they couldn't. They gave up more second half points than they did in the first.

Oh and BTW we just got whipped again by another coach in his first year at his school. It's amazing how all these other schools that go through coaching changes don't seem to have any problem with us.

This is still a team that's going to win only one more non-conf game (against a glorified junior college team this week) and then find a handful of wins against a conference that might even be worse this year than last year. I thought somewhere between 11, 12, maybe 13 wins would be possible this year, but I don't think they will get there - not even if you count these three non-D1 games. But it's hard to know for sure what the impact of getting Scurry back will be. Maybe his impact will be good for another win in there somewhere along the way we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but I'm still waiting on that evidence I was talking about previously.

I gave them credit (so maybe you need to go back, reread, and work on comprehension), but I wasn't going to start acting like we were witnessing the '87 Lakers. Wanted to see how they would finish and playing good for 15 out of 40 minutes isn't really anything to get excited about. I really wanted to see if they could keep up the defensive effort and intensity like they did in the final 10 minutes of the first half, but they couldn't. They gave up more second half points than they did in the first.

Oh and BTW we just got whipped again by another coach in his first year at his school. It's amazing how all these other schools that go through coaching changes don't seem to have any problem with us.
My comment was not directed at you in particular, so I do not need to work on any comprehension. None of my comments compared them to the Lakers either. Saying something positive does not mean you are satisfied with everything. I just voiced an observation about all the negative comments and then nothing.

IMHO as much as anything lack of depth deprived us of a chance to win this game.

For the first time this year I am wondering if we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as far as McDevitt's plan is concerned.

Regardless it's a tough day when we lose to a hated rival in FB and a despised, should still be NAIA, local team in BkB. Not much for Blue Raider fans to be excited about this holiday season.

IMHO as much as anything lack of depth deprived us of a chance to win this game.

The team honestly lacks everything that is good in the game of basketball. Hate to be so negative, but tell me one thing this team is good at....

Who on the roster strikes you as a CUSA POY type player? What about even a 1st team type player? 2nd team all conference maybe? I don't even see that.....

What players on our current roster do you actually believe have the talent to win CUSA championships and take down some big OOC opponents?

I just don't see it guys, and it's very worrying. Everyone wants to talk about how young we are, but plenty of young players still know how to play ball. All those great recruits at UNCA that everyone loves to talk about that transferred......tell me what class they were when they broke out and impressed.......

For the first time this year I am wondering if we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as far as McDevitt's plan is concerned.

Regardless it's a tough day when we lose to a hated rival in FB and a despised, should still be NAIA, local team in BkB. Not much for Blue Raider fans to be excited about this holiday season.

The lack of depth didn't cause us to go down 20 points at the beginning of the game like every game in the Myrtle Beach tournament.

The team honestly lacks everything that is good in the game of basketball. Hate to be so negative, but tell me one thing this team is good at....

Who on the roster strikes you as a CUSA POY type player? What about even a 1st team type player? 2nd team all conference maybe? I don't even see that.....

What players on our current roster do you actually believe have the talent to win CUSA championships and take down some big OOC opponents?

I just don't see it guys, and it's very worrying. Everyone wants to talk about how young we are, but plenty of young players still know how to play ball. All those great recruits at UNCA that everyone loves to talk about that transferred......tell me what class they were when they broke out and impressed.......

sWiley: I'll give you credit for your knowledge of FB and of gambling on sports. But on knowledge of BkB I think I can hold my own. I'm not a McDevitt apologist and I will always try to call it as I see it. I have stated my concern that our guard play is often so atrocious yet we have three starters all of whom have been in a D-1 program for a minimum of 3 years. That's not good.

I'm not happy with the start this year after the improvement shown last year but there are just a few extenuating circumstances out of McDevitt's control. He didn't make Scurry sit out 11 games nor did he didn't cause the injury to Dishman, to Milner, or the one to Crump which slowed his development. Yes, he's responsible for the transfers sitting out but he's not entirely responsible for us having an 8 man rotation at this time, three of whom are true freshmen along with one redshirt freshman and Jones who is rusty after sitting out last year.

As for looking for something good: Yes, the comeback showed me something Sat. night; the enthusiasm on the bench, not to mention by the coach, during the run was encouraging; and the team showed they can play defense if not for an entire game. We should show obvious improvement with Scurry and Milner back.
And if you are looking for something good look at Johnson's improvement over last year along with the play of Jackson. Jackson can be that POY candidate at MT and be an obvious cog in a Championship team before he is through. (could be showing the best inside potential as a freshman in my memory since Kerry Hammonds, Sr.)
And speaking of Jackson: He's currently the only above 2-star player on the squad with a 3 star rating. Next year we will add Jordan Davis and Fussell who are both rated as 3-star players giving us more above 2-star players than, IIRC, we have ever had. (Reggie Upshaw was a 2.7 IIRC) Let's not forget we have at least one more scholarship to give.

No, I'm not happy with the start this year but it ain't all bad.

And if you are looking for something good look at Johnson's improvement over last year along with the play of Jackson. Jackson can be that POY candidate at MT and be an obvious cog in a Championship team before he is through. (could be showing the best inside potential as a freshman in my memory since Kerry Hammonds, Sr.)
I've thought that Jackson was the most impressive young big man since Warren Kidd.

Kidd, though, was a prop and therefore a sophomore the first year he played.

We keep harping about being down 20. That’s just a sign of maturity and lack of senior leadership. Young kids have to understand that there are no days off. You can lead a horse to water...you all know the saying. I don’t think it’s a coaching issue just youth.

Since you asked..
Keith Hornsby- broke out (20+ pts or a double/double vs D1 comp is my definition) in his 4th game as a Sophomore.. was a limited role player at UNCA his freshman year- he played behind 2 of the best guards to come out of the program and on a team that won conference title, tourney title, and was a few shots/bad calls away from being the first team to beat a #1 Syracuse squad in Pittsburgh- played 12mins/gm averaged 4 pts- he ended up started all but 1 game once he transferred to LSU

Andrew Rowsey, Dylan Smith, Dwayne Sutton all showed great potential as freshmen- Rowsey had green light to shoot from the jump at anytime/from almost anywhere- 20+ pts in his 2nd & 3rd game of career.. Smith hit his stride and gained confidence with a win over G'town in the middle of the OOC slate (11 games in) went 5 of 7 vs the Hoyas on the road... Sutton had double/double in his 4th career game vs Texas A&M Sutton and Smith had roller coaster games- typical of freshmen

Teague was solid from the start was one of the most consistent guards his 1st two years- still solid at Baylor- he would be at MT right now but CNM isn't like your guy CKD..

..and the last transfer (the one that Wiley just loved and wanted to transfer with CNM to MT)- Jonathan Baehre only played in 11 games as freshman- 2pts/1.5 boards per game in 11mins of average time.. had his first double/double in teh 2nd to last conference game his soph year- only other double/double was that NIT game vs USC which was the only 20+ pt performance.. tore his ACL in the preseason this year after red-shirting last year at Clemson..

I find it funny how much Wiley loved Baehre but of all the transfers from UNCA he is by far the least proven and the slowest to develop/illustrate but at 6'9" with his shooting range I get the potential.. the likely truth is Wiley only saw that USC game and it altered his perception vs what was reality in that one guy..

We keep harping about being down 20. That’s just a sign of maturity and lack of senior leadership. Young kids have to understand that there are no days off. You can lead a horse to water...you all know the saying. I don’t think it’s a coaching issue just youth.

It absolutely is a coaching issue if it happens every game, which it has except for the Libscomb game and the DIII games. It has nothing to do with the age of the players. D1 college players should know they have to play hard the entire game.

So the majority of his great players at UNCA were great as freshman.....and Keith Hornsby likely would have shown out as a freshman as well but just didn't get the minutes because he was buried on the roster.

Baehre was more of a project/potential so not really counting him, but that's fine.

Anyway, thanks for proving my point for me. Being a freshman isn't always an excuse for stinking it up. McDevitt's freshmen recruits at UNCA lit it up and bought themselves tickets to bigger shows.

Meanwhile here at MT........

And for the record. I am not expecting superstar freshmen. Some competence beyond Jackson would be nice though.

Last edited:
I've thought that Jackson was the most impressive young big man since Warren Kidd.

Kidd, though, was a prop and therefore a sophomore the first year he played.

I agree Jackson has been the most impressive player so far. However, I don't get the love for Jayce Johnson. He is a turnover machine, can not shoot outside of a lay up and usually misses his free throws. Frankly, he shouldn't be on the court at a program like ours. Unfortunately, we have little choice at the moment.

I agree Jackson has been the most impressive player so far. However, I don't get the love for Jayce Johnson. He is a turnover machine, can not shoot outside of a lay up and usually misses his free throws. Frankly, he shouldn't be on the court at a program like ours. Unfortunately, we have little choice at the moment.

Preach dude. I don't get it either. He wouldn't see the court on a Kermit Davis team, but is a starter here with McDevitt. He is a role player at best who should be coming off the bench on a good team.

This whole season is already a wash anyway at this point. I can see Scurry, Sims, Green, and Jackson making a push later in the year like last year but for what? Ain't going anywhere. No notable OOC wins and won't win CUSA. Only thing we can do at this point is beat WKU at least once, but I doubt that even happens. I had so much anticipation for basketball season because I thought we might be competitive and it's just all gone. The OOC losses to marginal teams are so unbelievably deflating. For me at least. I can live with the Tulane loss because they're gonna have a team this year but getting spanked by Ohio was just flat out embarassing IMO and shows to me that this team isn't anywhere near ready to compete. Terrible year to be a fan of MT sports.

Moving forward, chips will be all in for years 3 and 4 and everybody knows it so that's where the emphasis appears to be hence all the sitting transfers. But 2019-2020 is just another mulligan do-nothing year (oh joy)

Last edited:
So the majority of his great players at UNCA were great as freshman.....and Keith Hornsby likely would have shown out as a freshman as well but just didn't get the minutes because he was buried on the roster.

Baehre was more of a project/potential so not really counting him, but that's fine.

Anyway, thanks for proving my point for me. Being a freshman isn't always an excuse for stinking it up. McDevitt's freshmen recruits at UNCA lit it up and bought themselves tickets to bigger shows.

Meanwhile here at MT........

And for the record. I am not expecting superstar freshmen. Some competence beyond Jackson would be nice though.

The main thing you’re missing is that these guys were all surrounded by guys that had been in the program for years, upperclassmen serving as mentors, continuity in a number of aspects both on & off the court, etc.. those are factors that allow individual talent to blossom as well.. with such quick judgement it’s as if you’ve never been that involved with a team..

Plenty of upper classmen that can serve as mentors on this team. In fact, we have more juniors and seniors than we do freshmen and sophomores yet people talk like we are the youngest team in the country when that's not even close to being the case.

Your excuses for these young players are so unbelievably weak and you know it. I'll say it again. Being young isn't an excuse for stinking up the joint. The young players that McDevitt has brought here, other than Jackson, have not shown jack $hit and you know it and you can make all the excuses you want but that doesn't change the facts. I don't understand why you have a hard time admitting they're not very good and likely (very likely) never will be.

If you know basketball as well you appear to, you KNOW Crump, Lawrence, and Johnson are not carrying any team to anything notable. They're 5-10 minute roleplayers AT BEST on a good basketball team. You know that. Why is it so hard to admit that?

Of all the players McDevitt has signed since being here (not counting D1 transfers), only 1 is starter material on a championship team. Tyson Jackson.

Junior Farquhar, Jayce Johnson, Anthony Crump, Eli Lawrence....roleplayers.

Gonna need some more dogs if we are gonna field a championship team. I like that he's focusing on high schools and sprinkling in the occasional transfer...but we gotta do better. Fussell is an outstanding start but were gonna need a lot more. He's missed on every high school player he's signed here so far except Tyson Jackson.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT