ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (3-4, 1-2) vs Marshall (5-1, 2-0) (ESPN2), 6PM, Friday, October 20, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

9252889_G.jpg

Marshall University
Founded: 1837
Enrollment: 13,631 Undergrad 10,232 Postgrad 3,399
Acceptance rate: 76.5% (2014)
Colors: White, Kelly green Nickname: The Thundering Herd Mascot: Marco
Fight song: "Sons of Marshall"
Series: Marshall leads 3-2, last meeting in Huntington: MU 49, MT 24
Stadium: Joan C. Edwards Stadium
Head Coach: Doc Holliday (West Virginia, 1979)
Record at Marshall: 50-28 (7th) Overall: Same
2015 Record: 10-3 (6-2) Bowl: St. Petersburg
Starters Ret./Lost: 11/11 Lettermen R/L: 48/15

Weather Forecast:

Where:

Stadium Policies (prohibited items):

Ticket Notes:

Television:

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), (TuneIn app)

Streaming: Audio, Video

Live Stats:

Newspapers: Herald Dispatch, Beckley Register Herald, Charleston GazetteMail, Marshall Parthenon,

Message Boards: HerdNation, Herd Fans, HerdHaven, , , , , , ,

Blogs: Marshall Sports (The Herdzone blog), Inside Marshall Sports (wv gazette), The Stampede,

Athletic site:
Herdzone.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: Marshall, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Marshall 2017 SBNation Preview, Marshall (Orlando Sentinel # ), Middle Tennessee 2017 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #73),

Game Notes: Marshall game notes, MT game notes

Game Previews: ,

Roster: Thundering Herd, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @HerdZone, @HerdFB, @HerdEquipment, @HerdCotton, , , @heralddispatch, @HerdNation, @GrantTraylor, @GaryFauber, @DaveWilsonMN, @Chuckonsports, @dougsmock, @MoonShineTD, @herdnews12, , ,,, @bigspanks, @notmarshallu,

Hashtags:
#HerdNation, #WeAreMarshall, #WePlayForChampionships, #Stampede16, #MarshallToTheAAC, #MTvsHERD

Facebook:
MU Herdzone, ,

Youtube: MU Herdzone,, , ,

Instagram:
Herdzone,

2016 Game Thread: Middle Tennessee (6-3, 3-2 C-USA) @ Marshall (2-7, 1-4), (ASN), 6PM CT, Saturday, November 12, 2016

2015 Game Thread:
Middle Tennessee vs Marshall, 2:30PM, Saturday, November 7

Last edited:
Did he just "hope" again for a big crowd? Really? Now, I will be there, but this asking for the stands to be filled when you are 3-4 and reeling is just someone not understanding the issue.

At our level, certain games mean more than others and based on performance in said game determines support for future game, no more mulligans.

And Friday night FB is a horrible idea down in the south, Tuesday works, Wednesday works, Thursday is best...but Friday?

excerpt:

...Down in Murfreesboro on Friday, the Marshall Thundering Herd and the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will be meeting up in college football activity.

Marshall enters this game with a 5-1 record so far, losing to NC State back on September 9 and otherwise beating Miami (OH), Kent State, Cincinnati, Charlotte and Old Dominion. In that Old Dominion game, Marshall QB Chase Litton posted three touchdowns with 176 yards on 12-of-23 passing, while Tyler King was the top rusher on 13 carries, 77 yards and one TD.

This year so far, Litton has 1382 yards, 13 touchdowns and three picks, and Keion Davis is the lead Marshall rusher with 78 carries, 393 yards and a TD. Tyre Brady is the Herd’s top receiver on 34 catches for 571 yards and six touchdowns.

Over on the Middle Tennessee State side, they’re currently 3-4 this year, alternating wins over Syracuse, Bowling Green and FIU with losses to Vanderbilt, Minnesota, FAU and UAB. In that UAB game, Blue Raiders QB John Urzua posted 268 yards, a TD and two picks, while Brad Anderson led the rush on 15 carries for 81 yards.

On the season, Urzua has 1302 yards, six touchdowns and eight picks, and Anderson leads the Blue Raiders with 61 carries for 367 yards. Ty Lee is the top Middle Tennessee State receiver on 39 catches, 436 yards and three scores.

The Herd are 5-1 ATS in their last six games overall and 5-2 ATS in their last seven Friday games. Marshall is also 2-5 ATS versus a team with a losing record and 3-8 ATS in their last 11 conference games.

Meanwhile, the Blue Raiders are 4-0 ATS in their last four games following a straight-up loss and 4-0 ATS in their last four games following an ATS loss. Middle Tennessee State is also 4-1 ATS in their last five games on turf, and the under is 6-0-1 in the Raiders’ last seven games overall.

During Marshall’s win streak, they really haven’t had a “close” game, as every contest was decided by at least 11 points. Defensively, the Herd has allowed just six points combined over their last two games. As for Middle Tennessee State, they really had no business losing to UAB, but that’s beside the point. The Blue Raiders don’t necessarily have a great offense per se, but the defense has been okay over the past two games with an average of 20 points allowed.....

Urzua has GOT to take care of the ball. If he has his thinking cap on then MT can win this game but if Urzua has his INT cap on then MT will most certainly lose.

Last edited:
I've been studying Marshall and while they are much improved, who have they played besides NC State? Miami OH, Kent st., ODU and Cinci is 2-5. Charlotte is 0-7.

We've played Vandy, Minnesota, and a Syracuse team who just beat the no.2 team who is also the defending national champions. We've also played FAU and UAB who are very good teams this year. UAB is winning 8 to possibly 9 games this year. FAU is right there with Marshall for the east. That FAU/UNT game is gonna be a good one.

My point is that while they are a good team, they are not invincible. If we could beat them when they had Cato or when they won 10 games 2 years ago, we can beat them Friday. Our D will be the best total D they have faced and that's why it will be close.

I've been studying Marshall and while they are much improved, who have they played besides NC State? Miami OH, Kent st., ODU and Cinci is 2-5. Charlotte is 0-7.

We've played Vandy, Minnesota, and a Syracuse team who just beat the no.2 team who is also the defending national champions. We've also played FAU and UAB who are very good teams this year. UAB is winning 8 to possibly 9 games this year. FAU is right there with Marshall for the east. That FAU/UNT game is gonna be a good one.

My point is that while they are a good team, they are not invincible. If we could beat them when they had Cato or when they won 10 games 2 years ago, we can beat them Friday. Our D will be the best total D they have faced and that's why it will be close.

Its always about us...Marshall has started well, but I don't fear them or anyone in CUSA - I fear us and our ability to make mistakes over and over on O, on D and special teams.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Its always about us...Marshall has started well, but I don't fear them or anyone in CUSA - I fear us and our ability to make mistakes over and over on O, on D and special teams.

It’s not the mistakes. It’s the poor decision making on several fronts. On the line of scrimmage, the sidelines, and in the box.

Story just hit DNJ this am about stock saying they are sticking with Uzura cause he gives us the best chance to win...,,,,,,???????

Urzua tossed 3 INT's last game. I don't consider that decent. That's a disaster and we will beat very few teams (if any) with him tossing 3 INT's in a game.

I don't understand why Banks can't even get a chance. The kid was an amazing high school player (Pretty sure he set some records in Georgia and that's saying something) and looked just fine against Minnesota.

Go watch his film from HS and tell me he doesn't at least deserve a chance.

Id like to see if Banks could come in and spark something, maybe take care of ball better. Something to make watching more interesting. Ill be going to the game solo most of my group cant make it due to early start and work etc. I was the one who took PTO for this expecting it to be an important game.....

You know what your gonna get with Urzua. Why not roll the dice to see if you catch lightning in a bottle with Banks? I mean, we're paying the kid to go to school here. Why not?

Herald Dispatch:
Herd bringing juice to matchup with MT

excerpt:

...There was a chill in the air, and there were maybe 5,000 fans in attendance, even though the announced attendance was 18,760.

Both teams came out pretty flat and didn't execute well. Middle Tennessee had six drives into Marshall territory come away with zero points and Marshall missed five field goals and several other opportunities for touchdowns in the contest.

To put it in perspective, both teams combined for nearly 1,100 yards but only had 51 total points at the end of three overtimes.

It was that bad.

Going into this week, Marshall is better prepared for the atmosphere - or the likely lack theirof.

With Middle Tennessee (3-4, 1-2 C-USA) struggling a bit this season and starting quarterback Brent Stockstill out with a cracked sternum and broken collarbone, there is little excitement for the Blue Raiders right now.

Add in that Middle Tennessee students are off on fall break and the game is a nationally-televised Friday night contest that competes with high school football in the area, and it's no wonder that Middle Tennessee athletic director Chris Massaro took to social media to implore fans to come out to the game...

ADVERTISEMENT