ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (3-2; 0-1) @ UAB (2-2; 0-1), (Stadium), 2:30PM, Saturday, October 8, 2022

UAB better prepared, better coached.

Better talent, size, speed, and strength.

If UAB put another 38 points on MT in the second half, Stock would say we competed...Just burn everything to the ground.

Last edited:
As a government employee getting sick of your drivel. UAB are government employees too. And we see how that’s going. Their sector status is irrelevant and actually offers them an excuse. They just suck no matter what sector they work for.
Ah, well, you can stomp your feet and swear not to return to this board for the 367th time...

Perhaps you don't know, but the stigma associated with government workers, such as those employed by this university, is that they are of poor quality.

Obviously, the UAB government workers are much better than the parasites in Murfreesboro.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I cut it off at 24-7 after the field goal.

Our high school team was playing today so I watched the stream from FB. 6-0 now so I atleast had one good game today.

That touchdown we got after the half let's me know that CRS brought a team that is ready to COMPETE!

I'll say that this game isn't as pathetic as oklahomer vs texas
That is very true. Oklahoma is actually used to having success, so that was a huge let down for them. This is par for the course for us.

I sit here wondering why it has to be this way. The contract makes it this way. It is sad that we are now 0-2 in conference.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Didn't someone say they hoped we wouldn't pull a Marshall?

Could be worse. We could be Miami fans. How bad is that team if the mighty Blue Raiders man-handled them?!?

Reactions: MTFAN61

Feel bad for the players here but game went about as expected. I thought we would play a little better and keep it more respectable (around 10-14 points) but UAB came out with their hair on fire after the Rice loss. This was always going to be a tough game but after losing to Rice UAB had to bounce back and they did in spectacular fashion. There wasn't a scenario where UAB was ever going to start 0-2 in conference. MT was never going to win this game. Feel like UAB could have really poured it on but got very vanilla with the play calling in the 2nd half. Everyone knew the game was over at half time.

UAB has the best rushing offense in the conference and their QB is deceptively accurate with good sized and talented WR's. They can beat you on the ground OR through the air which makes them so hard to defend. Shafer's defenses have always been feast or famine and lately it's been famine. Lots of famine. I don't think he's very good at making adjustments when his game plan starts to go sideways, and it went sideways fast today. We simply cannot cover anyone in man coverage unless the QB is on his back and that's a lot to ask of your defense on every play. Any team that knows how to throw a forward pass can drop 50 on us without blinking. In retrospect, it's easy to see how we beat Miami. They simply don't have a QB.

Today, UAB had the superior players and the superior game plan. Shocking, isn't it ?

We have some pretty good units on this team (WR, DL) but we've also got some terrible units (OL, DB) that are really holding this team down. We are right on pace for our 6 wins this year which is about right for this team. You are just not going to win a lot of football games when you have glaring weaknesses on both offense and defense. Same old song and dance for the last 17 years. We simply don't have the jimmy's and joes. Rick Stockstill can never put together a team that is sound on both sides of the ball. There always has to be weaknesses that the better teams in our conference easily exploit. Never changes. And it will be even more difficult now to manage a roster and address weaknesses with the transfer portal mania going forward.

We could have really used Gregory Grate, Quincy Riley, and the hand full of OL players that transferred out today. Still would have lost, but at least it would have been respectable and we would have had a punchers chance. At this point, I truly believe MT should consider shutting down football and focusing on basketball. Things are only going to get worse in my opinion. The whole exercise seems 100% futile. Middle will always be in the Middle.

Basketball has it's own issues and the transfer portal will likely hurt programs like ours (Nick did good this off season keeping it together, but I remain highly skeptical going forward) but I think we stand a better chance there of winning championships, being successful, making NCAA tournament runs, and building a respectable fan base.

Now WKU is coming off a close loss to UTSA and will be looking for blood against rival MT next week. It is a must-win game for WKU as they simply cannot afford to go to 2 conference losses this early in the season. MT secondary likely to surrender 500+ passing yards next week in what is almost an assured loss.

Any team that can throw a forward pass can beat MT right now. We are getting scheme'd up big time and our DB's cannot guard anyone. Only games we have won have been against teams that cannot throw a forward pass. And the games we have lost (and all 3 losses coming by double digits) have been against a QB that knows how to throw a forward pass. We can't even keep it close when going against QB's that have a pulse.

Gonna get ugly with WKU, line should be around 5 by kick off and I like the Toppers big time.

Their QB knows how to throw a forward pass.

Last edited:
Feel bad for the players here but game went about as expected. I thought we would play a little better and keep it more respectable (around 10-14 points) but UAB came out with their hair on fire after the Rice loss. This was always going to be a tough game but after losing to Rice UAB had to bounce back and they did in spectacular fashion. There wasn't a scenario where UAB was ever going to start 0-2 in conference. Feel like they could have really poured it on but got very vanilla with the play calling in the 2nd half. Everyone knew the game was over at half time.

UAB has the best rushing offense in the conference and their QB is deceptively accurate with talented WR's. They can beat you on the ground OR through the air which makes them so hard to defend. Shafer's defenses have always been feast or famine and lately it's been famine. I don't think he's very good at making adjustments when his game plan starts to go sideways, and it went sideways fast today. We simply cannot cover anyone in man coverage unless the QB is on his back. Any team that knows how to throw a forward pass can drop 50 on us without blinking. In retrospect, it's easy to see how we beat Miami. They simply don't have a QB.

Today, UAB had the superior players and the superior game plan. Shocking, isn't it ?

We have some pretty good units on this team (WR, DL) but we've also got some terrible units (OL, DB) that are really holding this team down. We are right on pace for our 6 wins this year which is about right for this team. You are just not going to win a lot of football games when you have glaring weaknesses on both offense and defense. Same old song and dance. We simply don't have the jimmy's and joes. Rick Stockstill can never put together a team that is sound on both sides of the ball. And it will be even more difficult now with the transfer portal mania. We could have really used Gregory Grate, Quincy Riley, and the hand full of OL players that transferred out today. Still would have lost, but at least it would have been respectable. I truly believe MT should consider shutting down football and focusing on basketball. Things are only going to get worse in my opinion.

Basketball has it's own issues and the transfer portal will likely hurt programs like ours (Nick did good this off season keeping it together, but I remain highly skeptical) but I think we stand a better chance there of winning championships, being successful, and making NCAA tournament runs.

Now WKU is coming off a close loss to UTSA and will be looking for blood against rival MT next week. It is a must-win game for WKU as they simply cannot (and very rarely will) start 0-2 in conference. I just don't see that happening. MT secondary likely to surrender 500+ passing yards next week in what is almost an assured loss.

Any team that can throw a forward pass can beat MT right now. Only games we have won have been against teams that cannot throw a forward pass. And the games we have lost (and all 3 losses coming by double digits) have been against a QB that knows how to throw a forward pass.

Gonna get ugly with WKU, line should be around 5 by kick off and I like the Toppers big time. Their QB knows how to throw a forward pass.
Spot on.
Interesting point is Chip mentioned Shafer has been out all week with an illness and West has coached the defense. This raised the red flag as West defenses are piss poor.
I am just guessing West was calling the defense today. This would explain a lot.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Statements are all true. If you're right & the line is -6.5 or so for next week, make way for making some easy Christmas money

Spot on.
Interesting point is Chip mentioned Shafer has been out all week with an illness and West has coached the defense. This raised the red flag as West defenses are piss poor.
I am just guessing West was calling the defense today. This would explain a lot.
I wish I would have caught this. I would have put my life savings and retirement on UAB

I wish I would have caught this. I would have put my life savings and retirement on UAB
It wouldn't have mattered; that's our MO now. Have your excuse in hand before loss number 101 arrives for coach 500. They'll have a new one ready for next week. I sure the players will get served lumpy oatmeal before breakfast on Wednesday that will prove to be detrimental to their preparation.

UAB didn't have to prepare much. All they did was have a plan if we stacked 9 in the box. If we show man coverage, pass all day. If we switched to cover 2 or 3, run it. They had us at hello. They watched the UTSA game and saw the slant like all day. We kept saying all week that we are gonna stop the run, they said, "sure" we won't run it because you won't stop the slant and stop and go's. Sorry, but I could have coached that crap. That ain't hard to figure out. we bit on play action every single time. Act like you"re running and just throw to the open grass and there was plenty. Not a difficult game plan.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Me too. I think I’ve shared my personal opinion numerous times in here regarding Tommy West’s last three attempts as a DC prior to his arrival in Murfreesboro in 2014.
Memphis in 2006 when he fired Joe Lee Dunn and “took over” the defense after game 3 at ECU. The Tigers finished 2-10.

2011 / UAB 3-9
2012 / USM 0-12

We better pray Shafer recovers in time because Helton and Company can read West and his every move like a book.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT