ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (3-1) vs UTSA(2-2) (Blackout Game) (CBSSN), 6:30PM, Friday, September 30, 2022

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
FdBgq7eWAAMJIuq

Blackout Game

General Information

Founded: 1969 Enrollment: 34,742
Colors: Orange and Navy Blue Nickname: Roadrunners
Series: UTSA leads 3-1
Stadium: Alamodome(36,582)
Head Coach: Jeff Traylor (Stephen F. Austin, 1990)
Record at UTSA: 0-0 (1st) Overall: Same
2021 Record: 7-3 (4-1) 2021 Bowl: Camellia
Starters Ret./Lost: 15/10 Lettermen R/L: 49/30

Last edited:
Just checked out of curiosity. Tanner and Murphy are lighting up those of us that called out Stock after JMU. I've said I'll admit he did good yesterday, but as EW said, back to earth.

Stock has beaten a P5 team 5 times before. Each time after, we lost 2 of the next 3. Granted some years that involved another P5, but still.

The past shows we will come back down to earth. I 1000000% hope I'm wrong.

Just checked out of curiosity. Tanner and Murphy are lighting up those of us that called out Stock after JMU. I've said I'll admit he did good yesterday, but as EW said, back to earth.

Stock has beaten a P5 team 5 times before. Each time after, we lost 2 of the next 3. Granted some years that involved another P5, but still.

I don't blame 'em for standing up for their guy, but that display of timidity and lack of preparedness deserved to be called out for the horror show that it was. To me, it was more of same, ie, Army game. Anyways, maybe they were calling out folks on various social media for "overreaction Monday" as is frequently the case the week after the first game. Around here (at least maybe speaking for myself) the extensions revelation was the huge fuel on that fire.

Most seasons coach stock loses this game on the road vs a P5 resulting in poor expectations vs the usually pretty good conference opponent at home the next week. It seems typically that would be the game coach stock would win which would leave most just scratching their heads. So, I sort of expected coach stock to lose vs Miami then come home and beat UTSA. So now that he got the big win vs Miami, I gave no idea what to expect from this upcoming game. It does seem that UTSA is a pretty good team.

I will say, if MT can pull off a win vs UTSA to keep the win streak alive, that just might speak to a possible pretty good season above mediocre. Coach stock, don't get hesitant or play not to lose. Stay aggressive and let those horses run!

I don't blame 'em for standing up for their guy, but that display of timidity and lack of preparedness deserved to be called out for the horror show that it was. To me, it was more of same, ie, Army game. Anyways, maybe they were calling out folks on various social media for "overreaction Monday" as is frequently the case the week after the first game. Around here (at least maybe speaking for myself) the extensions revelation was the huge fuel on that fire.

The criticism's regarding the contract were well warranted. The Miami win will mean nothing at the end of the season if it's just another 6-6 year. It's just one game. We've still got 8 more (hopefully 9 more) left to play and still a lot more to prove. We have not even played a conference game yet for crying out loud. The Miami win was nice but it's time to move on.

We are 0-0 with UTSA coming in here Friday.

The criticism's regarding the contract were well warranted. The Miami win will mean nothing at the end of the season if it's just another 6-6 year. It's just one game. We've still got 8 more (hopefully 9 more) left to play and still a lot more to prove. We have not even played a conference game yet for crying out loud. The Miami win was nice but it's time to move on.

We are 0-0 with UTSA coming in here Friday.

My thoughts exactly. Yes it will be remembered. Should be with the first win over a ranked team. But it will fall into history if we don't make it count as the start of a special season.
A lot of the play calling and decision making yesterday was much more aggressive than usual. Some of that was Chase and I hope is keeps it up. That is what I want to see more of. Especially Friday in front of a packed house.

And I'm hoping for 10 more games myself. Conference Championship or bust!

MT is halfway to 'bowl eligibility,' and another year obligation to the contract, as I understand it. As CRS likes to say 'all your goals can be achieved at Middle Tennessee.'

• Sad
Reactions: RaiderDeez

I can respect it. They better hope this continues because I’m going to go really hard at them if it doesn’t. It’s fine to put people in their place but you better be ready to continue to prove them wrong. If not, you’re opening yourself up for a lot of criticism and I’m someone that will dish it out.

The past shows we will come back down to earth. I 1000000% hope I'm wrong
I saw Justin Beasley & Tom Kreager lighting folks up too.

Here's what I think Beasley & Kreager (haven't seen the Murphy / Tanner posts so I won't address them) don't understand : MT fans can CELEBRATE the win, while also realizing that a CHANGE is still necessary. Playing "I told you so" doesn't win folks to your cause.

That's about where I am.

The win was a HUGE win for MT. Any P5 win on the road is. Any time you beat a ranked opponent is a huge win.

But I'm not sold that Stock can win a championship conference at MT (even with new facilities). I'm not sold the fans / community will completely reengage until a change is made (or Stock wins a championship or two). I'm also convinced that MT needs a Kermit Davis-type - a HC that will engage the community regularly - to move forward.

But, if I'm going to criticize Stock when he falls short. I feel its only fair to give him credit when he does get it right. And he did get it right against Miami on Saturday. So I'll celebrate that.

I saw Justin Beasley & Tom Kreager lighting folks up too.

Here's what I think Beasley & Kreager (haven't seen the Murphy / Tanner posts so I won't address them) don't understand : MT fans can CELEBRATE the win, while also realizing that a CHANGE is still necessary. Playing "I told you so" doesn't win folks to your cause.

That's about where I am.

The win was a HUGE win for MT. Any P5 win on the road is. Any time you beat a ranked opponent is a huge win.

But I'm not sold that Stock can win a championship conference at MT (even with new facilities). I'm not sold the fans / community will completely reengage until a change is made (or Stock wins a championship or two). I'm also convinced that MT needs a Kermit Davis-type - a HC that will engage the community regularly - to move forward.

But, if I'm going to criticize Stock when he falls short. I feel its only fair to give him credit when he does get it right. And he did get it right against Miami on Saturday. So I'll celebrate that.

Bingo. I understand there is some bias there as those folks know Stock personally. I don't. But I am an alumni, a booster in the NCAA sense even though I'm far from the thousands per year many are, and a fan. And all that gives me the right to congratulate the good, and criticize the bad. It isn't a one way street.

It's not like a coach in his first few years that is allowed some bumps and bruises. We have a proven track record of up and down results averaging in the middle. We've been here before. And until we aren't here anymore (meaning this turns to momentum and a championship) we all should criticize.

He's lost 2 of his next 3 after every single P5 win he has had. So Stock, prove me wrong. Be aggressive, go for it all, and prove me wrong.

Bingo. I understand there is some bias there as those folks know Stock personally. I don't. But I am an alumni, a booster in the NCAA sense even though I'm far from the thousands per year many are, and a fan. And all that gives me the right to congratulate the good, and criticize the bad. It isn't a one way street.
I've had some interactions with Stock in the past (it's been a while - more me, than him), but EVERYTHING I know about Stock points to the simple fact he is a good man. Had rival staff members say "He's a good man." Player after player after player at MT would say the same thing (from stars to benchwarmers & everything in between).

So I understand their view, especially the players. They've lived with Stock. They've sweated with Stock. They've endured football facilities stuck in 1993 with Stock. Stock has shown he cares for his players. He loves his players. And that love extends to after their graduation.

He's a good guy. And there aren't many "good guys" like Stock left in the sport.

I've had some interactions with Stock in the past (it's been a while - more me, than him), but EVERYTHING I know about Stock points to the simple fact he is a good man. Had rival staff members say "He's a good man." Player after player after player at MT would say the same thing (from stars to benchwarmers & everything in between).

So I understand their view, especially the players. They've lived with Stock. They've sweated with Stock. They've endured football facilities stuck in 1993 with Stock. Stock has shown he cares for his players. He loves his players. And that love extends to after their graduation.

He's a good guy. And there aren't many "good guys" like Stock left in the sport.
You know, if he ever does make the Kermit flip into consistent winning, he is the type of coach that wouldn't jump to a bigger program at the first sniff (as we have seen), which is the bane of all G5 schools.

Winning cures everything. Make the Kermit jump and the school could reach new heights.

I don't know Coach Stock personally either. My wanting a new coach is based on wanting to see a HC at MT that is upfront and obvious in pursuing excellence and maximum effort for MT football. Like others have said, I don't expect a championship every year. At MT, a championship once every few years is not an unreasonable expectation. MT has the potential and is capable of contending for championships most every year, or at least in the top 3 or 4 in the conference. So, it's not me just wanting a new coach period. If Coach Stock can deliver an outright Conference Championship this year, then great! Let's see if that energy could then be carried over into the next season.

I think that if Coach Stock would win a couple of championships with some big OOC wins fans/public would start to return. It would take more than a few big wins, and it would likely take more than one or even two good seasons. For myself, it will take more than one big win and a couple of ok wins. I am willing to watch and see if MT can sustain some good success for a few more games vs quality conference opponents. If that could happen, then that would go a long way toward convincing me that maybe he can pull off a good season this year. Until actually seeing those results, I'm not convinced based upon a history of almost two decades.

Stock has never, is 0-16....

* Won a championship outright - only one co (which I don't count) and one division
* Had an undefeated home season - 8 with one loss
* Been ranked - has even only received votes one year that I know of...09
* Had a double digit regular season win total - only one total season period...09
* Won two bowls in a row - won 09, lost 10. Made it 15-18. L, L W, L.

Do all that, then I may shut up for a while. Honestly if he did that several years in a row I think we all would for a bit.

Stock has never, is 0-16....

* Won a championship outright - only one co (which I don't count) and one division
* Had an undefeated home season - 8 with one loss
* Been ranked - has even only received votes one year that I know of...09
* Had a double digit regular season win total - only one total season period...09
* Won two bowls in a row - won 09, lost 10. Made it 15-18. L, L W, L.

Do all that, then I may shut up for a while. Honestly if he did that several years in a row I think we all would for a bit.
If he gets to 10 wins and wins a bowl I’ll shut up. That’s a good season for everyone not named Clemson and Bama.

Who is Murphy and why should I care what that person says.

Outside of Miami, Rick is absolutely killing this program. If he turns it around… great.
Ill believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
Never heard of group of five guys. Doesn’t move the needle for me.
Anyhow, if they are taking the “what about Stock now approach”, it’s a little early and makes me even care even more less what they say.

gotta be objective and not jock strap sniffers.

Btw. I’ve noticed window world are sponsors of mtsu. I just used them this year to replace 24 windows on my house and they are legit.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

Roadrunners​

• UTSA is 3-6 ATS in their last 9 games.
  • The total has gone OVER in 8 of UTSA’s last 8 games.
  • UTSA is 14-4 SU in their last 18 games.
  • The total has gone OVER in 6 of UTSA’s last 6 games on the road.
  • UTSA is 11-1 SU in their last 12 games against an opponent in the Conference USA conference.
  • UTSA is 4-1 SU in their last 5 games against an opponent in the East Division division.
  • The total has gone OVER in 4 of UTSA’s last 5 games played in September.
  • UTSA is 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games played in week 5.

Blue Raiders​

• Middle Tennessee is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games.
  • Middle Tennessee is 5-1 SU in their last 6 games.
  • Middle Tennessee is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games at home.
  • Middle Tennessee is 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games against an opponent in the Conference USA conference.
  • Middle Tennessee is 4-9 SU in their last 13 games played in September.
  • The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Middle Tennessee’s last 7 games played in week 5.
  • The total has gone OVER in 6 of Middle Tennessee’s last 7 games played on a Friday.

Sure is easy to "light up" everyone after a Miami victory. Funny how all we hear is crickets from these people after JMU embarrassment. Everyone who criticized the coach & team after JMU manned up & congratulated them after the huge Miami win, & rightfully so. Those who attack fans only after a big win, but otherwise set on their hands in silence are hypocrites.

O
Sure is easy to "light up" everyone after a Miami victory. Funny how all we hear is crickets from these people after JMU embarrassment. Everyone who criticized the coach & team after JMU manned up & congratulated them after the huge Miami win, & rightfully so. Those who attack fans only after a big win, but otherwise set on their hands in silence are hypocrites.
Our argument for a new coach still holds true after the Miami win. They can only say stuff after an uncharacteristic win. We want to be proven wrong, but they will never admit they are. I get that Stock was their coach and appears to be an amazing guy, but I know a lot of really great guys that I would never want to coach MT football. Honestly I would be cool with keeping Stock if he hired a new OL and RB coach and we got a new President and AD. Right now we need a coach who can overcome our inept admin. Stock is not that guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT