ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (24-7, 16-3) vs. Vermont (27-7, 15-1), 7PM, Tuesday, March 13, 2018

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
GAME INFORMATION
[Game Notes]

Hashtag: #TrueBlue, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: @MT_MBB
Instagram: MT_MBB
Facebook: MTSUMBB

Date: Tuesday, March 13th
Time: 7:00 p.m. CT
Match-up: Middle Tennessee (24-7, 16-3) vs. Vermont (27-7, 15-1)

Live Video | Live Stats

Last edited:
Anxious to see if Vegas is going to put some ridiculous line again like the last two games. We've lost as double digit favorites in back to back games.....

Realistically the line should be around MT -4.5

Vegas will probably put out something like MT -6.5

DYDJ4k5VoAEeuao.jpg

And I was almost dead on the money.

MT opens as a 6 point favorite.

If Kermit is leaving and the players know it we are done in the first round. I hate to say it but...

excerpt:

...We have some NIT First round action in the Baylor bracket, as the #6 seed Vermont Catamounts take on the #3 seed Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders on Tuesday in a college basketball matchup.

The Vermont Catamounts come into the NIT as a #6 seed after finishing with a 27-7 overall record, including a 15-1 conference record which gave Vermont the conference regular season title and the top seed in the America East tournament where the Catamounts took down Maine and Stony Brook before falling to eventual tournament champion UMBC by a final score of 65-62 in the conference title game. The Catamount tested themselves early, narrowly losing by 4 to Kentucky in their season opener before rattling off wins against Bradley, Northern Kentucky, Yale and Richmond with a couple of losses to St. Bonaventure and Marquette thrown into the rest of the conference schedule. Trae Bell-Haynes leads Vermont with an average of 14.9 points and 4 assists per game while Payton Henson leads the Catamounts in rebounding with 5.6 rebounds per game this season. As a team, Vermont is scoring 74.2 points per game on 48.8% shooting from the field, 40.4% from behind the arc and 75.3% from the foul line this season.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders come into this one as the #3 seed after finishing the regular season with a 24-7 overall record, including a 16-2 mark in C-USA play, giving the Blue Raiders the regular season title and the top seed in the conference tournament. However, the Blue Raiders’ stay in the C-USA tournament didn’t last very long as Middle Tennessee lost in their opening matchup with a 71-68 overtime loss in the quarterfinals to Southern Miss. Middle Tennessee did schedule themselves tough, with wins over an NCAA tournament team in Murray State in addition to victories over Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and a pair of wins over Florida Gulf Coast. The Blue Raiders also hung around with Miami, USC, Belmont and Auburn in their lone blemishes out of conference. Nick King leads the Blue Raiders with an average of 21.1 points and 8.4 rebounds per game while Tyrik Dixon leads Middle Tennessee in assists with 3.3 assists per game this season. As a team, Middle Tennessee is scoring 74.8 points per game on 46.5% shooting from the field, 36.9% from behind the arc and 74.2% from the foul line this season.

Vermont is 7-21-1 ATS in their last 29 games against a team with a winning record and 7-15 ATS in their last 22 non-conference games while the over is 4-0 in their last 4 road games. Middle Tennessee State is 20-8 ATS in their last 28 home games and 35-16 ATS in their last 51 games against a team with a winning record while the under is 20-9 in their last 29 games overall.

I’m not sure I’d want to go against either team right now, but the trends favour the Blue Raiders and I have to think that Middle Tennessee has to be a little bit more ticked off as they had a real shot at an at-large bid before it got ripped away.....

This is a huge game with a very, very good Vermont team coming in.

One of the best teams we have faced all year. We will have to play our A game to win. I was going to drive down from Columbus for the game but I wasn't able to get off work.

Not going to the NCAA's sucks, but fans now get another chance to see Giddy, Walters, and King play in the Murphy center. Seems like the place SHOULD be a sell-out? (I know it won't be). The team and Kermit deserve a sell-out.

This is a HUGE game people. Get your F'ing @$$es to the arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is only based on looking at stats so take it with a grain of salt, but I get this feeling MT will be facing a team that just might be reminiscent of Belmont.

This is only based on looking at stats so take it with a grain of salt, but I get this feeling MT will be facing a team that just might be reminiscent of Belmont.

Vermont is quite different from Belmont. They aren’t a 3-point shooting team (they shoot 3s very well, but not really in high volume). They get their offense primarily by getting to the foul line. They have two inside guys (Henson and Urquhart) plus a point guard (Bell-Haynes) that excel at getting to the foul line. That’s going to be a problem for us, given our penchant for fouling in our defensive style.

Defensively, Vermont’s whole game plan is to limit second chance points and to not put opponents on the line. They are top 20 nationally in both defensive rebounding and limiting opponent free throw attempts.

A big part of our offensive identity is pursuing offensive rebounds and second chance points. We need to win that battle tonight and keep them off the foul line to win.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I could see us getting blown out in this one. With the rumors swirling around Kermit, us being in the consolation tourney...the guys hearts may not be in this one. To top it off, I also heard there were a few locker room issues before the Southern Miss game. This team has just had a weird vibe to it since the WKU win.

Yeah, I have thoughts of going to a funeral tonight. Nothing but sad feelings.

I'm of the opinion if Kermit has decided to leave us, then he needs to go and let us get started on charting a new path.

I appreciate Kermit and he has been great, but sticking around does nothing for us.

I'm of the opinion if Kermit has decided to leave us, then he needs to go and let us get started on charting a new path.

I appreciate Kermit and he has been great, but sticking around does nothing for us.

I agree, Space. This game tonight has a depressing vibe to me. On the one hand, I'll absolutely be there to see the seniors (and probably Kermit) one last time. But I have a hard time imagining the team playing well under the circumstances, and the whole thing just feels sort of sad.

Agree 100%. At this point, there really isn't any benefit to him sticking around.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I love what Kermit has done and boy has he done wonders for MT. He clowned me in demanding a change at the head basketball job and has provided memories to last a lifetime.

One of the best decisions I ever made was a last minute trip with my son to St. Louis to watch the take down of Michigan State.

That being said, if you are leaving...let the cat out of the bag. It's 2018. Let your assistants take the reigns or market this as a "Farewell to the Frog" tour.

I love what Kermit has done and boy has he done wonders for MT. He clowned me in demanding a change at the head basketball job and has provided memories to last a lifetime.

One of the best decisions I ever made was a last minute trip with my son to St. Louis to watch the take down of Michigan State.

That being said, if you are leaving...let the cat out of the bag. It's 2018. Let your assistants take the reigns or market this as a "Farewell to the Frog" tour.

I agree w/ you.

Do just like Scott Frost did with UCF. Announce you are taking the Ole Miss job and ask the players if you want them to coach you in the NIT. If they want you, do the farewell to KD. If they don't have an assistant coach you.

I still don't think a coach deserves 10 years before a coach has a 20 win season, beats a P5 schoo, wins his first conference championship, NIT or NCAA bid. The crazy thing is, the past 7 years have set the bar higher for the next coach. We have recent proof of what someone can do at MT. There is absolutely no excuse the next coach should not be competing for C-USA championships or having 20+ win seasons somewhat regularly.

On this game, I love Burlington, Vermont. Awesome city on the lake & any town where I can eat faux eel, Ben & Jerry's, and drink Heady Topper, Sip of Sunshine, and an Edward IPA on the same street is a great American town!

the class coming in has already signed can't leave without a release from tbe school

Vermont is quite different from Belmont. They aren’t a 3-point shooting team (they shoot 3s very well, but not really in high volume). They get their offense primarily by getting to the foul line. They have two inside guys (Henson and Urquhart) plus a point guard (Bell-Haynes) that excel at getting to the foul line. That’s going to be a problem for us, given our penchant for fouling in our defensive style.

Defensively, Vermont’s whole game plan is to limit second chance points and to not put opponents on the line. They are top 20 nationally in both defensive rebounding and limiting opponent free throw attempts.

A big part of our offensive identity is pursuing offensive rebounds and second chance points. We need to win that battle tonight and keep them off the foul line to win.

Randall,
You don't post on here all that often these days. When you do, I really enjoy reading what you have to say. Your college basketball knowledge is excellent.

On the Vermont team, it was those %s that caught my attention. Plus they do not seem exceptionally large but well balanced with decent size. Good catch regarding the 3 pt volume

Wish I could be at this game, but momma is a night nurse and I have a 4 and 2 year old. It's either going to be bitter sweet or amazing. Something that should be experienced in person because it might be a bit before we get it again

How do you see the experimental rules effecting this game?

• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Line went down to 5.5, now back up to 6.5 Betting %'s are about even. I bought it down to 5.5 from 6. I'm hopeful MT gets it done tonight. I refuse to believe I'm going to watch a funeral service at the Murphy Center tonight.

Really impressed with Vermont's style of play. Other than Bell-Haynes, they are not near as athletic as we are. However, they attack the zone and make the extra pass.

Crowd is actually really good for a what is essentially a let down game.

We are playing with better energy than I expected.

So Kermit told the broadcasters he made his decision, but he is not going to tell them?

I cannot see a coach staying and not ending the speculation.

Reactions: Hop45
And looks like we are gone too. We are just out there going through the motions. King playing like $hit, again.

I follow and watch a lot of basketball.

I have not seen a team nose dive like ours has this entire season. I have no words.

Honestly I think it would best for him not to coach tonight. The players know and probably have known for a while and are not in to it.

And looks like we are gone too. We are just out there going through the motions. King playing like $hit, again.

King definitely has not been the same player for the past 3 games.

Really disappointed in our defensive effort so far. This feels like a Belmont game to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT