ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (2-3) vs Mississippi (3-0) (CBSSN), 7pm, Wednesday, December 16, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
OLE MISS
Enrollment: 23,090
Arena: The Pavilion at Ole Miss (9,500)
Nickname: Rebels Colors: Cardinal Red & Navy Blue
Head Coach: Kermit Davis
Record at UM: 38-30 (3rd Season)
Overall Record: 441-268 (23rd Season)

Twitter: @OleMissMBB

Date: December 16, 2019 Time: 7:00 PM CT

Series Record: MT leads 6-5
TV: CBS Sports Network
Talent: Chris Hassel (PxP), Mike O'Donnell (Analyst)
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn)
Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

MT Game Notes

LISTEN (TuneIn)

LIVE STATS

Of the two MT signees that Kermit 'took' with him, K.J. Buffen is still on the rebel roster, while Curry is not on the roster......

After 3 games as a starter, Buffen averages 6.3ppg, 3.3rpg, and under 17 minutes ppg

Devontae Shuler, older brother to MT's Dontrell Shuler is the reb leading scorer, at 20.3ppg, on 29.8 minutes per game

Of the two MT signees that Kermit 'took' with him, K.J. Buffen is still on the rebel roster, while Curry is not on the roster......

After 3 games as a starter, Buffen averages 6.3ppg, 3.3rpg, and under 17 minutes ppg

I found in a Google search that Curry is on the roster at Northwest Mississippi Community College this year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Looks like Tye Fagan has started all 5 games so far for Georgia this year. Georgia is 5-0 but it looks like their schedule so far has not been much to write home about.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Of the two MT signees that Kermit 'took' with him, K.J. Buffen is still on the rebel roster, while Curry is not on the roster... After 3 games as a starter, Buffen averages 6.3ppg, 3.3rpg, and under 17 minutes ppg
It makes me feel a little better knowing they aren't all-conference or anything

Last edited:

Last edited:
I'm calling a close game....I'll eat crow if it's not, but I think Middle hangs in there tonight..

Excerpted quote from that interview:

"I remember vividly my last regular season home game, we beat Western Kentucky to clinch the championship. I think in our last three games ... we drew over 31,000 people in three games. It was a three game homestand. When we cut the nets down against Western that night to win it on national TV, that was a pretty cool feeling. Just around all the fans where they could enjoy that."

The WKU game was a great game, but he's forgetting the Marshall season finale, which was his real last regular season home game at MT. Wish I could forget that one too.

So I looked back and didn't see where an MT rep had a spot on WSNR this week. I suppose the ole miss coach counts as the MT rep this week... so lame...

Wow Ole Miss plays great D as a team. It doesn’t help that we go through long stretches of playing out of control. Lots of one on one ball being played

First half effort was good overall, but agree on the out of control at times.

If we just shoot closer to the national average, make more of the open looks we get & cut down on the unforced TOs, then we are winning this game.

Their D was good, but we just go so cold for long stretches. Not sure what the answer is for that.

Second half is just the same with Ole Miss playing better.

Atrocious shooting plus too many turnovers plus defensive breakdowns and the other team playing well = beat down

Reactions: Hop45
If we shot the national median from the field and 3, we have 68 points. That’s the point spread between an average shooting D1 team and where we were tonight.

Ole Miss D had a lot to do with it, but not the much.

If my very quick math was correct, we went a combined 22 minutes in 4 different streaks w/o a made FG. Hard to win when you don’t score except a few FTs for over half the game.

Last edited:
Another poor game with some similar trends..
- Team starts off so slow
- Decent looks out of offensive sets where guys can’t make open looks. Won’t win games shooting <30% from the field. Resulted in only 4 assists for the game which is pathetic.
- the scoring droughts are compounded by guys forcing action, 1 on 1 junk when open looks don’t go down instead of sticking with offensive sets/motion.
- BIGs are too tentative/indecisive on catches in the paint/block
- on ball/perimeter defense is much improved from last couple of years but BIGs still struggling to defend without fouling when breakdowns do occur

Another poor game with some similar trends..
- Team starts off so slow
- Decent looks out of offensive sets where guys can’t make open looks. Won’t win games shooting <30% from the field. Resulted in only 4 assists for the game which is pathetic.
- the scoring droughts are compounded by guys forcing action, 1 on 1 junk when open looks don’t go down instead of sticking with offensive sets/motion.
- BIGs are too tentative/indecisive on catches in the paint/block
- on ball/perimeter defense is much improved from last couple of years but BIGs still struggling to defend without fouling when breakdowns do occur

thanks for the perspective King. I commented to some people I was watching the game with about your number 3 point. It’s like we came out with a decent plan, but when we fell behind and things were trending badly, we tried all the wrong stuff to try to get back on track. It probably wouldn’t have changed the ultimate outcome, but I would like to know how the flow of the game might have been different if those first two possessions we ran hadn’t resulted in blocked shots. We ran two good plays but couldn’t finish.

Reactions: kingaling42
I thought the D was an improvement... I am still concerned with baseline coverage and being caught flatfooted on the perimeter, therefore, being beaten on the 1st step...
On Offense, there seemed to be little rhythm and many drives to the bucket were OC(out of control)...
Our fast break, to me, does not have good spacing. There were many times we brought the ball down in th 4 lane... This may be a philosophical difference... I have, in the past used a traditional break or a sideline break but not the 4 lane...
One last observation...
This may also be a difference in coaching philosophy also but...
On out of bounds plays on our offensive end, I liked to have set plays where we had at least, 65% of the time, an open look at the basket. This seldom happens... I saw very few open looks in this type of situation...

The Bigs killed us last night. Number 0 dominated them. Treated them like kids. They need to grow up and play big boy ball. They have muscles, use them. I also thought we played good perimeter defense. Improvement from last year.

Shuler has the heart of a Lion. Glad to have him. This is the type of team that will get better as the year goes on. We are more athletic this year. Look forward to seeing how much we improve.

Reactions: mtfblue
Shuler is an all-conf player if he plays with the same intensity each game as last night. We were really missing Milner. It would not have concluded in a game altering victory, but it would have tilted more un MT’s favor.

ADVERTISEMENT