ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (2-2, 3-5) @ Charlotte (1-3, 3-5), 2:30PM, Saturday, November 2, 2019

It was bad. I mean we sat there knowing their QB was going to run it and the defense did nothing. It was so freaking frustrating.

And the turnover of the O’Hara “fumble”. The replay on the big screen showed plain as day he was down before losing the ball. Like three yard slide down and Stock did nothing. Ridiculous.

I stayed till the end simply for the players. Not their fault we have an inept staff.

Middle is such a fitting name for us.

Well, yeah. At least he acknowledges it. That fact alone at least makes me feel a little better.

But this isn't the first time we've played like this. Not this year. Not last year or the year before. We have a couple of games like this almost every year.

But I'm just not sure he recognizes that it's his coaches that a) aren't recruiting quality D1 players and b) they aren't developing the kids they have. Today was all - 100% coaching - and Healy and his staff stuck their foot up the ass of our staff. If he's really embarrassed and really wants to bring a championship caliber program to the Boro then he needs to show us. He needs to make immediate changes within the staff that are very obviously, clearly not getting it done.

There is absolutely no reason Tommy West should be on this staff. None. Zero. Our DL has been getting bludgeoned all year. And it's been like that every year he's been here. It's why Shafer has to blitz so much, because we have a do nothing DL. But we don't have the corners this year to support that type of blitz scheming up front. So we get beat up front and in the back end over and over again. It's one thing when it's Michigan and Iowa doing it to you, but when freakin Charlotte does it then somebody needs to recognize that we have a problem. And a big one. And he's not the only one. Our OL fails to open holes or protect the QB. The receivers fail to get open and drop balls in crucial spots. With all the money the university pumps into this program we should be getting a better return -- and that's why people have stopped coming. Change - significant change is necessary - or we are witnessning the beginning of seeing MT in the cellar of the east on an annual basis like Vandy in the SEC if we don't fix it and fix it soon.

Last edited:
Well, yeah. At least he acknowledges it. That fact alone at least makes me feel a little better.

But this isn't the first time we've played like this. Not this year. Not last year or the year before. We have a couple of games like this almost every year.

But I'm just not sure he recognizes that it's his coaches that a) aren't recruiting quality D1 players and b) they aren't developing the kids they have. Today was all - 100% coaching - and Healy and his staff stuck their foot up the ass of our staff. If he's really embarrassed and really wants to bring a championship caliber program to the Boro then he needs to show us. He needs to make immediate changes within the staff that are very obviously, clearly not getting it done.

There is absolutely no reason Tommy West should be on this staff. None. Zero. Our DL has been getting bludgeoned all year. And it's been like that every year. It's why Shafer has to blitz so much, because we have a do nothing DL. But we don't have the corners this year to support that type of blitz scheming up front. So we get beat up front and in the back end over and over again. It's one thing when it's Michigan and Iowa doing it to you, but when freakin Charlotte does it then somebody needs to recognize that we have a problem. And a big one. And he's not the only one. Our OL fails to open holes or protect the QB. The receivers fail to get open and drop balls in crucial spots. With all the money the university pumps into this program we should be getting a better return -- and that's why people have stopped coming. Change - significant change is necessary - or we are witnessning the beginning of seeing MT in the cellar of the east on an annual basis like Vandy in the SEC if we don't fix it and fix it soon.

But they don't care. Everybody's getting paid and nobody is getting fired:

Why MT football coach Rick Stockstill has a $6.6 million buyout

... "It's a very high number but it's one of those numbers that I don't think we'll ever have to pay because he's been so successful," MTSU Athletic Director Chris Massaro said. "He's winning 67% of his conference games and he's 22-5 against C-USA opponents at home. All of those kind of things that I try to measure and go by, he's done.

"Part of the thing is that we knew we'd be in position to play Power Five teams and you don't want to penalize the guy because his record's going to suffer a bit. Coach Stockstill's done a great job during his time here so that buyout number doesn't bother me." ....

Back to empty Floyd Stadium for the remaining Nov games.

The admin at The Murph & Cope are killing MT football with their settle for mediocrity attitude. If you consider 3-6 mediocre.

There used to be a day when I wouldn't miss a MT football game even if meant listening to every play over the radio when the team was far from home. That was even if MT was losing pretty big to a Top 25 power. It is now hard to stay motivated or interested to watch all of every game when the powers running the program seem to not care what the hardcore fans think.

Can't fire mediocre HC because of contract payout? Fire the AD who gave it to him. Where is the accountability or demand for excellence?

It was frustrating when Kermit was taking so many years to take the bball program to the next level. His teams were always above average and seemingly so close. Finally after about 9 or 10 years, everything started coming together for Kermit. He continued to learn and grow. He stayed after it hard until he got his successful system in place. How many years is it now for coach Stock? 15 years? There is no sign after 15 years of coach stock taking the program to the next level.

The team seems to have no identity. Nothing to hang your hat on to hope for better seasons ahead. No impressive recruits incoming. No impressive recent recruits that appear to be dominant for the next few seasons. The one asst coach who was still bring in amazing players in charge of the defensive secondary has been poached by another program. I'm not seeing anyone currently doing anything impressive in recruiting.

Both lines are underwhelming. In my opinion, it all starts with the line for both offense and defense. MT's guys appear out-sized and over-matched in just about every game. You just aren't going to be much of a successful team under those circumstances.

I have seen my interest in the program decline over the years. Nothing to be excited about and the administration seems perfectly content to ave a mediocre product. Even off the field, they have done nothing to move the needle. How about engaging the alumni, the Nashville market or at least a refresh of the MT logo on the helmets?

if the admin doesn’t even care, why should fans. We need an upgrade in talent at all levels and nobody recognizes it.

I'm embarrassed that this pathetic coaching staff contunies to trot out there and go thru the motions each year with no notable improvement.
Good for Layman for putting this out there. Who else in the media is willing step up and start asking some tough questions for Stock and Massaro? I realize we have no one in the media who has the CO Jones or the want to light the fire. Is there anyone with a pen or voice that can take off the Blue glasses and help us be heard?
Pogue, big Joe, Monte, Tackett, Jordan, DNJ, Chip, Wes, ? Seems they all just pat Stock on the back and are happy with mediocrity. They are just as bad as this staff to allow this to continue and say nothing.
We are stuck with the contract but If it's an AD's job to help the head coach, Massaro needs to help Stock make the tough decision to fire the old guard. We can't continue to go down this path
Embarrassing-Pathetic- couldn't have said it better myself

But they don't care. Everybody's getting paid and nobody is getting fired:

Why MT football coach Rick Stockstill has a $6.6 million buyout

... "It's a very high number but it's one of those numbers that I don't think we'll ever have to pay because he's been so successful," MTSU Athletic Director Chris Massaro said. "He's winning 67% of his conference games and he's 22-5 against C-USA opponents at home. All of those kind of things that I try to measure and go by, he's done.

"Part of the thing is that we knew we'd be in position to play Power Five teams and you don't want to penalize the guy because his record's going to suffer a bit. Coach Stockstill's done a great job during his time here so that buyout number doesn't bother me." ....

This sums up Massaro’s mediocrity. He ignores overall numbers to focus on just conference “success”. However he doesn’t demand real success at the conference level. Just have pretty good numbers against bottom feeders and even without a championship at that level, we will keep you. It’s the definition of mediocrity.

All I can say is I'm watching Memphis on ABC Saturday night football and it wasn't but just a few years ago when we owned them. Now they have left us in the dust and it's all due to coaching/recruiting. Period.

Likewise I would suggest that the school on West End is not significantly better today than when "we owned them" early in our D-1 days yet we couldn't even make "home" games in the recent 4 game series competitive. We've regressed as a D-1 program and there is no place to put the blame other than McPhee, Massaro, and Stock.

One additional reason for Memphis to find success other than coaching/recruiting is the inability of MT to find a couple of "heavy hitters". No FedEx or AutoZone in the Boro or anywhere else supporting MT. Again, whose fault is that? Did the PTB do all they could have done to secure sponsors/donors? Are they still trying? Have they given up?

They cleaned house in 2012-2013 starting with the President and AD.

This can’t be understated.

When my other school changed presidents, he pushed out the long term AD and brought in a young, energetic new AD that was willing to go against the good ole boy network and do what was best to advance the school. It was a series of controversial, yet smart moves. The amount of success across the dept has been outstanding since that move 11 years ago.

Until this happens here, MT tends to progress only in spite of our 3 stooge monster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT