ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee(2-2, 1-0) @ Marshall (3-1, 1-0), CBSSN, 6:30PM, Friday, October 5, 2018

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

maxresdefault.jpg

Marshall University
Founded: 1837
Enrollment: 13,631 Undergrad 10,232 Postgrad 3,399
Acceptance rate: 76.5% (2014)
Colors: White, Kelly green Nickname: The Thundering Herd Mascot: Marco
Fight song: "Sons of Marshall"
Series: Marshall leads 5-2, last meeting in Huntington: MU , MT
Stadium: Joan C. Edwards Stadium
Head Coach: Doc Holliday (West Virginia, 1979)
Record at Marshall: 60-43 (9th) Overall: Same
2017 Record: 7-6 (3-5) 2017 Bowl: New Mexico
Starters Ret./Lost:
19/5 Lettermen R/L: 52/20

Weather Forecast:
Partly cloudy skies. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Low 67F. Winds light and variable.

Where: Joan C. Edwards Stadium, 2001 3rd Avenue, Huntington, West Virginia 25755

Stadium Policies (prohibited items): Outside food/beverages, smoking, umbrellas, tripods, pets (not including service animals), flash/video cameras, firearms, ice chests, strollers, artificial noisemakers (not including thundersticks), flags that obstruct the view of other guests, and portable chairbacks with arms.

Ticket Notes:

Television:
CBSSN - 643-1643 AT&T U-Verse, 229 Charter Spectrum, 720-1303 Xfinity/Comcast, 221 DirecTV, 158 Dish Network

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), (TuneIn app)

Streaming: Audio, Video - CBS Sports Live

Live Stats: Live Stats

Newspapers: Herald Dispatch, Beckley Register Herald, Charleston GazetteMail, Marshall Parthenon,

Message Boards: HerdNation, Herd Fans, HerdHaven, , , , , , ,

Blogs: Marshall Sports (The Herdzone blog), Inside Marshall Sports (wv gazette), The Stampede,

Athletic site:
Herdzone.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: Marshall, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Marshall 2018 SBNation Preview, Marshall (Orlando Sentinel #36), Middle Tennessee 2018 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #56),

Game Notes: Marshall game notes, MT game notes

Game Previews: Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Prediction and Preview, Looking ahead to MT and Marshall

Roster: Thundering Herd, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @HerdZone, @HerdFB, @HerdEquipment, @HerdCotton, , , @heralddispatch, @HerdNation, @GrantTraylor, @GaryFauber, @DaveWilsonMN, @Chuckonsports, @dougsmock, @MoonShineTD, @herdnews12, , ,,, @bigspanks, @notmarshallu,

Hashtags:
#HerdNation, #WeAreMarshall, #WePlayForChampionships, #Stampede16, #MarshallToTheAAC, #MTvsHERD

Facebook:
MU Football, Marshall University Athletics,

Youtube: MU Herdzone,, , ,

Instagram:
Herdzone,

2017 Game Thread:
Middle Tennessee(3-4, 1-2) vs Marshall(5-1, 2-0)(ESPN2), 6PM, Friday, October 20, 2017

2016 Game Thread:
Middle Tennessee(6-3, 3-2) @ Marshall(2-7, 1-4)(ASN), 6PM, Saturday, November 12, 2016

2015 Game Thread:
Middle Tennessee vs Marshall, 2:30PM, Saturday, November 7

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Bow
I'm completely and totally expecting a let-down loss here. That's OK, I think...as long as we don't lose anymore. It's unrealistic to expect our team to win every conference game (though it sure would be nice) and if we are going to drop a game I think it's this one going on the road in a short week after coming off a big win.

As great as the FAU win was, we've got to put it behind us and realize that the Marshall game will be just as hard if not harder to win. We've gotta play even better next Friday in West Virginia.

Marshall has traditionally STOMPED us at their place, so this could get ugly.

Marshall's D is definitely better than FAU. Their O isn't as prolific as FAU's though. It's gonna be a tough game no doubt.

Reactions: 31Herd55
If history is any indication, FAU will go on to have a losing record and we will drop this one at Marshall.

The only thing is there is a glitch in the matrix where Stock didn’t play to tie or lose last night.

Has my interest.

Marshall's D is definitely better than FAU. Their O isn't as prolific as FAU's though. It's gonna be a tough game no doubt.
I don't recall if we've ever won at Marshall. That said, there's gotta be a first time for everything, right?

We've never won there so there's that. We played there when they had freakin Cato and a top 25 ranking. In 2016, we didn't have Brent. We had Sir Picks-A-Lot Urzua. In fact, Brent hasn't played Marshall since 2015 and he beat them that year.

We've never won there so there's that. We played there when they had freakin Cato and a top 25 ranking. In 2016, we didn't have Brent. We had Sir Picks-A-Lot Urzua. In fact, Brent hasn't played Marshall since 2015 and he beat them that year.
Wasn't 2015 the year Brent flubbed a pass on 3rd and 1. I thought we lost.

Marshall (MU leads 5-2)

Year W/L Score Site
1992 L 35-21 A
1994 L 49-14 A

2013 W 51-49 H
2014 L 49-24 A
2015 W 27-24 (3OT) H
2016 L 42-17 A
2017 L 38-10 H

At Murfreesboro: 2-1 At Huntington: 0-4

Reactions: subkyle
Since this game is on a Friday night, their attendance may be impacted by HS games going on in that area. Should be plenty of tickets available I would think if anyone is thinking of going up there.

Last edited:
Marshall (MU leads 5-2)

Year W/L Score Site
1992 L 35-21 A
1994 L 49-14 A

2013 W 51-49 H
2014 L 49-24 A
2015 W 27-24 (3OT) H
2016 L 42-17 A
2017 L 38-10 H

At Murfreesboro: 2-1 At Huntington: 0-4

Let’s hope it’s just as epic but not as gut wrenching the bulk of it like that ‘13 game was. Like 0 degrees with the windchill. Still have the video of me jumping at the last second TD and my then future wife and daughter still sitting down cuddled under a blanket. Hardly a soul around us.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Let’s hope it’s just as epic but not as gut wrenching the bulk of it like that ‘13 game was. Like 0 degrees with the windchill. Still have the video of me jumping at the last second TD and my then future wife and daughter still sitting down cuddled under a blanket. Hardly a soul around us.

Yeah, that 2013 game sort of serves as a standard for cold games in Floyd. We had the vendor coming to us every quarter of the game with Hot Chocolates and we refer to that 4 Hot Chocolate Game. It's not been that cold since.

Yeah, that 2013 game sort of serves as a standard for cold games in Floyd. We had the vendor coming to us every quarter of the game with Hot Chocolates and we refer to that 4 Hot Chocolate Game. It's not been that cold since.

We went to RaiderTees the next day (when they were still over Lightning’s Locker Room) and he said they sold several hundred pairs of gloves that night. We even bought a blanket. Still use that thing now. Haha.

excerpt:

...Marshall enters this game with a 3-1 record so far. The Herd fell to NC State 37-20 back on September 27, but otherwise have beaten Miami (OH), Eastern Kentucky and Western Kentucky. (The South Carolina game was cancelled.)

In the Western Kentucky win back on Saturday, Marshall QB Isaiah Green put up 288 yards, two scores and three picks. Keion Davis led the rush on 65 yards, while Tyre Brady put up 162 yards with two scores on eight catches.

Over on the Middle Tennessee side, they’re sitting at 2-2 on the season so far. The Raiders fell to Vanderbilt in the opener then took out TN-Martin before falling to Georgia. In their last appearance Saturday, Middle Tennessee eked out a win over FL Atlantic.

In that Saturday game, Blue Raiders QB Brent Stock-still put up 259 yards, one TD and a pick while also leading the team in rushing on 56 yards. Patrick Smith was the lead receiver for Middle Tennessee with 89 yards on five grabs.

The Raiders are 3-7-1 ATS in their last 11 in October and 3-12-1 ATS in their last 16 following a straight-up win. Middle Tennessee is also 1-4 ATS in their last five on turf and 1-7 ATS in their last eight road games.

Meanwhile, Marshall is 7-2 ATS in their last nine Friday games and 1-5 ATS in their last six on turf. The Herd are also 0-5 ATS in their last five home games and the under is 7-1 in their last eight in October.

Marshall can put up the points when they’re so motivated, as they’ve logged at least 20 in every game so far. Defensively they’re not too bad either aside from the NC State game, which is understandable. The Herd really needs to get Brady going as well, as they’re likely to win whenever he has a good game.

The big comeback victory Middle Tennessee put up should give them some momentum heading into this game, but they’ve certainly got a few things to clean up before their confidence can be fully restored.....

early forecast for Friday in Huntington, WV calls for scattered thunderstorms and showers, becoming clear in the evening, high temp of 83 and a low of 66.

This reminds me of the quote from the movie Major League, where manager Lou Brown says:

"OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!"

Yes, Marshall at Marshall is a tough opponent. But if we're ever going to take a step forward and then keep moving forward, this is another must win.

Yup, IF we got this win, we are in the driver's seat to win the east. Win at FIU the week after, then it's all but locked up with 1 to give. These next 2 weeks are crucial.

Just called and ordered my tickets. Had to get through Marshall office. Placed us in Section 105, right next to the usual away areas of 101 and 103.

Marshall has 31 players from Florida, fwiw...

Doc has always been a heck of a recruiter with major ties for Florida from his WVU days and his few years coaching down there. Probably number two on the list of why he got hired with number one being a WV boy.

This reminds me of the quote from the movie Major League, where manager Lou Brown says:

"OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!"

Yes, Marshall at Marshall is a tough opponent. But if we're ever going to take a step forward and then keep moving forward, this is another must win.

Anyone quoting THE Lou Brown is good by me.

Reactions: RaiderDoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT