ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (1-4; 1-2) vs North Texas (1-3; 0-2) (Stadium), 4PM, Saturday, October 17, 2020

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

North Texas
Founded:
1890 Enrollment: 37,231 Undergrad 29,481 Postgrad 6,687
Acceptance rate:
Colors:
Green, White and Black Nickname:Mean Green, Eagles Mascot: Scrappy the Eagle
Fight song UNT Fight Song "
  • Series: UNT leads 9-7
  • In Murfreesboro: UNT leads 4-3
  • At Denton: UNT leads 5-4
  • Last: UNT 33, MT 30 (2019)
Stadium: Apogee Stadium (30,850)
Head Coach: Seth Littrell (Oklahoma, 2001)
Record at UNT: 27-25 (5th) Overall: Same
2019 Record: 4-8 (3-5) 2019 Bowl: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 12/10 Lettermen R/L: 37/21

Weather Forecast: Generally sunny. High 68F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.

Where: Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium/Horace Jones Field, 1500 Greenland Dr, Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Stadium Policies:

Ticket Notes

Television:
Fox Sports Southeast which on comcast is 26/1251 , , ,

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts; The Game 102.5 FM/97.5 FM, WGNS 1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9, WDUC 93.9 FM, Tune-In (listen on-line)

Streaming: Audio, watchstadium.com

Live Stats: Live Stats

Newspapers: Denton Record Chronicle, North Texas Daily,

Message Boards: GoMeanGreen.com, Mean and Green, , , , , ,

Blogs: Brett Vito's Mean Green Blog, Mean Green Nation,

Athletic site: meangreensports.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: North Texas, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews:

Game Notes:
North Texas game notes, MT game notes

Game Previews: North Texas vs. Middle Tennessee Football Prediction and Preview, Pre-Snap Read: MT vs. North Texas ,

Roster:
Mean Green, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @MeanGreenSports, @MeanGreenFB, @SethLittrell, @MeanGreenOps, @brettvito, @gomeangreen, @NTSportsStats, @UNTGridiron, @MeanGreenProd, @MeanGreen_Adams, @northtexaseagle, @meangreennation, @mgrnpxp, , , , ,

Hashtags:
#MeanGreen, #NorthTexas, #GMG, #UNiTeNorthTexas, #bthoMTSU, , #BlueRaiders, #MTvsUNT, #BeatUNT,

Facebook: Mean Green Sports, Mean Green Football

Youtube: Mean Green Sports,,,

Instagram: Mean Green Sports,

2017 Game Thread: Middle Tennessee (2-4; 1-1) at North Texas (2-4; 1-1), STADIUM, 3PM, Saturday, October 19, 2019

2016 Game Thread: Middle Tennessee @ North Texas, 6PM, Saturday, October 1, 2016

Last edited:
MT favored -7

Last edited:
excerpt:

North Texas is sitting at 1-3 so far. The Mean Green opened up with a win over Houston Baptist, but since have lost to SMU, Southern Miss and Charlotte. As for Middle Tennessee, they’re currently 1-4 this year. The Raiders lost their first four games as they stumbled out of the gate, but regrouped for a win over FIU last weekend...

The Mean Green came out strong in their first game, a 57-31 victory over Houston Baptist. The 31 points allowed were a sign of bad defense to come, as North Texas has hemorrhaged points since then. The Green fell 65-35 to SMU, 41-31 to Southern Mississippi and 49-21 to Charlotte.

In the loss to the Niners, North Texas QB Austin Aune put up 382 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. DeAndre Torrey was the lead rusher on 14 carries for 89 yards in that one, and Jaelon Darden had a monster game on 13 catches for 244 yards and three scores.

Over on the Blue Raiders’ side, they’ve been improving steadily since their 42-0 blowout loss to Army in the opener. In the last three games, Middle Tennessee has been competitive: 37-35 versus UTSA, 20-17 versus Western Kentucky and finally a win versus FIU 31-28.

In the win over the Panthers, Middle Tennessee quarterback Asher O’Hara threw for 268 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions, also leading the team in rushing with 106 yards and two scores on 23 carries. Tops in receiving for the Blue Raiders in that game was Jarrin Pierce with five grabs for 80 yards and a TD.....

DF2A3BEF-AC72-4A12-971F-F104D941D46C.png.54d47f19babc2d8180ac95656fee0451.png

These two coaches have a lot in common.

Yeah. I'm convinced ADs at the G5 level given the limited resources should not pay outsized salaries to coach or extend a contract more than 4 years. If someone really wants to hire them away, they'll go and the G5 school will have wasted a lot of money on raises, etc than otherwise could have been put to better use.

Denton Record Chronicle article, excerpt:

4. Rick Stockstill is an institution in C-USA
MTSU coach Rick Stockstill is in his 15th season with the Blue Raiders and has done a remarkable job over the years. He was the C-USA Coach of the Year in 2018 and has been named a coach of the year six times in his career.

He has 92 wins at MTSU, despite the fact the school has fallen behind in the facilities arms race in C-USA. UNT, Rice and Louisiana Tech are just a few of the schools that have made dramatic improvements in what they have to work with recently.

MTSU has mostly stood pat. The school has not seen any major changes since 2006.

Stockstill has been remarkably successful considering the circumstances.

Denton Record Chronicle article, excerpt:

4. Rick Stockstill is an institution in C-USA
MTSU coach Rick Stockstill is in his 15th season with the Blue Raiders and has done a remarkable job over the years. He was the C-USA Coach of the Year in 2018 and has been named a coach of the year six times in his career.

He has 92 wins at MTSU, despite the fact the school has fallen behind in the facilities arms race in C-USA. UNT, Rice and Louisiana Tech are just a few of the schools that have made dramatic improvements in what they have to work with recently.

MTSU has mostly stood pat. The school has not seen any major changes since 2006.

Stockstill has been remarkably successful considering the circumstances.

Yes, most folks not closely associated with the program think Stock is a miracle worker (maybe up until this year.)

That says something, I think.

Yes, most folks not closely associated with the program think Stock is a miracle worker (maybe up until this year.)

There's this view among outsiders that MT should never be good at anything. And that's something that's adopted in the culture by the leadership and used as an enabling function of said culture. There is definitely a perception there - likely driven by our junior college looking name that the President has refused to acknowledge and take up in nearly two decades. That perception feeds a mentality that if we just get anything out of ourselves then everyone should just pat us on the back. It's part of why there is no standard of excellence that MT leadership demands of itself. As I have said before and will continue to say until it changes the little middle culture is alive and well in the Boro.

There's this view among outsiders that MT should never be good at anything. And that's something that's adopted in the culture by the leadership and used as an enabling function of said culture. There is definitely a perception there - likely driven by our junior college looking name that the President has refused to acknowledge and take up in nearly two decades. That perception feeds a mentality that if we just get anything out of ourselves then everyone should just pat us on the back. It's part of why there is no standard of excellence that MT leadership demands of itself. As I have said before and will continue to say until it changes the little middle culture is alive and well in the Boro.
I think the first part is correct - many folks outside of the program just aren’t sure what the expectations can be or should be.

I think this program could be a sleeping giant - but awakening that giant would take more than a coaching change. Hell, I think if given enough $, Stock could do it.

It’s going to take a total commitment to facility upgrades and marketing in the mid-state. But when someone figures this out, I think it could be big.

I think the first part is correct - many folks outside of the program just aren’t sure what the expectations can be or should be.

I think this program could be a sleeping giant - but awakening that giant would take more than a coaching change. Hell, I think if given enough $, Stock could do it.

It’s going to take a total commitment to facility upgrades and marketing in the mid-state. But when someone figures this out, I think it could be big.

Tyler: I agree that "a total commitment to facility upgrades and marketing" could possibly change the trajectory of the athletic program but both upgrades and promotion cost $$$s which IMHO were in short supply prior to the pandemic, now even worse. I'm afraid we'll see serious cuts long before we see "shovels in the ground" or any type of serious mid-state outreach.

Tyler: I agree that "a total commitment to facility upgrades and marketing" could possibly change the trajectory of the athletic program but both upgrades and promotion cost $$$s which IMHO were in short supply prior to the pandemic, now even worse. I'm afraid we'll see serious cuts long before we see "shovels in the ground" or any type of serious mid-state outreach.
Oh, for sure. The type of resurrection this program needs is years away if it ever happens at all.

I've lived most of Stock's tenure outside of the Boro, including 6 years in Bowling Green, and covered the program for the better part of a decade. I can count on one hand the number of folks who I've encountered that believe Stock is a miracle worker.

Most - including former staffers in other programs - believe he is a good man, but just an ok head coach. And most are puzzled why MT signed him to that crazy contract to begin with.

... if given enough $, Stock could do it.

That's the puzzling thing. MT is - or was - one of the better funded programs in the conference. Plus, during Stock's tenure at MT, MT has significantly renovated / updated golf, tennis, WBB, and baseball facilities while Floyd Stadium's biggest update is the Hendrix Suite.

Why?

These updates happened because the coaches engaged and lobbied boosters to fund the updates. It's also worth noting that golf, tennis, baseball, and women's basketball have actually competed - and won - conference championships.

Two things we can pull from the state of MT FB :
1) Coaches play a role in fundraising
2) Success / championships plays a role in fundraising

Looking at the TV broadcast for the game against north texas, If you have Stadium on comcast, the game according to the guide, will not be on Channel 228, Stadium which tonight is carrying the Oakland Riverdale game, btw. According to watchstadium.com the game will be on Fox Sports Southeast which on comcast is 26/1251.

Reactions: Raiders_55
It’s sad that we are mid-season and the games are already meaningless. Nothing to play for at this point as we’ve already dropped 2 conference games and gotten plastered on national TV by fellow G5 programs.

This has to be the worst season ever since being D1. Even worse than that 2 win season.

espn bottom ten

exerpts:

2. North Texas Lean Green (1-3)
It's been a while since our friends in Denton have been included in these rankings, but this week they jump -- OK, they fall -- from the Waiting List all the way to second. How? By getting housed in America's most underrated college football stadium (seriously, Apogee Stadium is awesome) by the then-No. 9-Charlotte-then-0-and-2ers, a loss that came only a week after falling to then-third-ranked Southern Missed, who were then-0-and-3.

UNT's only win this season was against Houston Baptist, which is also a "then" team, as in "back then, it was still playing," because HBU finished its four-game fall schedule last weekend with a 1-3 record. What we're saying is, all of those "thens" add up to a very rough now. Speaking of "nows," UNT's next opponent is now-seventh-ranked Muddled Tennessee in the Pillow Fight of the Week. If UNT loses that now, then there will likely be no more wins later.

7. Muddled Tennessee (1-4)
The good news? They won! The bad news? A win against FIU isn't enough to move off this list.

ADVERTISEMENT