ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee(1-1) vs Duke(1-1), Black Out Game, (Stadium on Facebook), 6PM, Saturday, 9/14/2019

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, work in progress:

SQPFMYCOYLQMHDI.20150916134800.jpg

DUKE UNIVERSITY
Founded: 1838 Enrollment: 15,892 Undergrad 6,994 Postgrad 8,898
Acceptance rate: 7%
Colors: Duke Royal Blue & White
Fight songs: Fight! Blue Devils, Fight! & Blue and White
Series: First Meeting
Stadium: Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium Capacity: 40,004
Coach: David Cutcliffe (Alabama, 1976)
Record at Duke: 67-72 (12th) Overall: 111-101 (18th)
2018 Record: 8-5 (3-5) 2018 Bowl: Independence (vs Temple, W 56–27)
Starters Ret./Lost: 15/11 Lettermen R/L: 50/23

Weather Forecast:
Partly cloudy. High 91F/Low 62F. Winds light and variable

Where: Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium/Horace Jones Field, 1500 Greenland Dr, Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Stadium Policies: Clear Bag/stadium seat/cushion policy,

Television:
STADIUM ON FACEBOOK, Chris Hassel, AJ Hawk and Kristen Balboni

Watch online:
@watchstadium

Radio:
Chip Walters (pxp), 29th Year; Wes Counts (analyst), 4th Year; Wayne Groce (spotter), 39th Year, WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5/97.5 (Nashville), National: Sirius XM TuneIn App: Search Middle Tennessee

Streaming: Audio,

Live Stats: live stats

Newspapers: , , ,
Duke Chronicle, , , ,

Message Boards: , ,

Blogs/Podcasts: , , , BallDurham, Blue Devil Nation, Blue Zone (Chronicle),

Athletic site:
goduke.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides:
Duke, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Duke (Orlando Sentinel #78), CFN Preview 2019: Duke. 5 Things You Need To Know, Season Prediction, , Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #99),

Game Notes:
Duke Game Notes, MT GAME NOTES, C-USA NOTES

Roster: Blue Devils, Blue Raiders

Depth Chart:
Duke (page 10 of game notes), Middle Tennessee (page 11 of game notes)

Game Previews:
Week Three Game Preview - Duke at Middle Tennessee, Duke vs. Middle Tennessee Football Prediction and Preview, Looking ahead to MT and Duke, , , ,

Twitter:
@DukeFOOTBALL, @DukeATHLETICS, , , @chroniclesports, , @DukeFBTalk, , ,

Hashtags:
#GoDuke, #MTvsDuke, , , ,

Facebook:

Youtube: ,

Instagram:

Last edited:
The line sounds about right. That said, I won't be surprised if we win by 3 or lose by 21.

Turnovers will be a factor in who wins and the margin of victory.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
excerpt:

...Duke enters this game with a 1-1 record. After falling 42-3 to Alabama in Week 1, the Devils took out NC A&T 45-13 to even things up.

In the NC A&T game, Duke QB Quentin Harris had 345 yards with four touchdowns and also led the rush with 83 yards and another score. Jalon Calhoun was tops in receiving with 105 yards and two TDs.

Over on the Middle Tennessee side, they’re 1-1 as well this year. The Raiders fell to Michigan 40-21 in the opener then took out Tennessee State this past weekend.

In the victory, Middle Tennessee QB Asher O’Hara had 367 yards, four touchdowns and a pick, while Chaton Mobley logged 104 yards and two rush TDs. DJ Chisolm was the receiving leader for the Raiders with an 80-yard TD catch.

The Devils are 7-2 ATS in their last nine road games and 8-3 ATS in their last 11 in September. Duke is 1-4 ATS in their last five after a straight-up win and 0-4 ATS in the last four games following an ATS win.

Meanwhile, the Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last five after a straight-up win and 9-4 ATS in their last 13 after an ATS loss. The over is 4-0 in Middle Tennessee’s last four overall and 4-0 in their last four non-conference games.

After a pretty impossible matchup in Week 1, the Blue Devils asserted themselves in Week 2 and did pretty much whatever they felt like. Middle Tennessee might pose some problems there though, as the Raiders seem like they can score pretty well....

This is going to be a very challenging game for us. Duke has recruited really, really well these last several years under Cutcliffe. Their roster is littered with 4 star and upper echelon 3 star players. Recently, they have beaten the Blue Bloods (Michigan, Florida, etc.) on the recruiting trail for many key players. Duke is going to have the better players on Saturday, no doubt about it. We are going to have to play a very, very good game and hope for Duke to make some mistakes if we want to win this.

Very talented and legit ACC squad is coming to Floyd on Saturday. If you are a fan of college football and like the Raiders, don't miss this game. A win here would be huge!

Stats of note:

Duke is 7-1 all time vs. CUSA schools. Duke, under Cutcliffe, are 18-3 against Group of 5 programs. Duke is 25-5 in non-conference action since 2013.

Last edited:
You better believe Cutcliffe is licking his chops looking at our defense against TSU. Scott Shafer is gonna have to bring a better game plan for this one and do a better job confusing the Duke QB and disguising coverages and blitzes. I'm really worried about Duke hitting the big plays against our Cover 0 and Cover 1.

I like the aggressive aspects of our defense but I feel like for this game we are gonna have to switch things up and maybe play some zone and different coverages to keep the Duke offense from getting comfortable.

Duke injury list:

Duke
Date Pos Player Injury Status

09/09/19 RB Brittain Brown Undisclosed left last game, is "?" Saturday vs Middle Tennessee
09/06/19 TE Jake Marwede Knee is out indefinitely
09/06/19 RB Marvin Hubbard III Achilles is out indefinitely
08/23/19 LB Koby Quansah Thumb is out indefinitely
08/09/19 WR Jake Bobo Collarbone is out indefinitely

game thread, work in progress:
Acceptance rate of 7%. That's incredible.
SQPFMYCOYLQMHDI.20150916134800.jpg

DUKE UNIVERSITY
Founded: 1838 Enrollment: 15,892 Undergrad 6,994 Postgrad 8,898
Acceptance rate: 7%
Colors: Duke Royal Blue & White
Fight songs: Fight! Blue Devils, Fight! & Blue and White
Series: First Meeting
Stadium: Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium Capacity: 40,004
Coach: David Cutcliffe (Alabama, 1976)
Record at Duke: 67-72 (12th) Overall: 111-101 (18th)
2018 Record: 8-5 (3-5) 2018 Bowl: Independence (vs Temple, W 56–27)
Starters Ret./Lost: 15/11 Lettermen R/L: 50/23

Weather Forecast:

Where: Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium/Horace Jones Field, 1500 Greenland Dr, Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Stadium Policies: Clear Bag/stadium seat/cushion policy,

Television:
STADIUM ON FACEBOOK

Watch online:
@watchstadium

Radio:
Chip Walters (pxp), 29th Year; Wes Counts (analyst), 4th Year; Wayne Groce (spotter), 39th Year, WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5/97.5 (Nashville), National: Sirius XM TuneIn App: Search Middle Tennessee

Streaming: Audio,

Live Stats: live stats

Newspapers: ,

Message Boards: , ,

Blogs/Podcasts: , , , BallDurham, Blue Devil Nation, ,

Athletic site:
goduke.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides:
Duke, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: , , , Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #99),

Game Notes:
Duke Game Notes, MT GAME NOTES, C-USA NOTES

Roster: Blue Devils, Blue Raiders

Depth Chart: ,

Game Previews: ,

Twitter:
, , , , , , , , , , ,

Hashtags: ,

Facebook:

Youtube: ,

Instagram:

Saturday's timeline

Time Event

NOON Ticket Office Opens
The main ticket office is located at Gate 1 and will be open at Noon to facilitate fans wishing to purchase tickets the day of the game.

1:30 PM The Grove Opens
Located near Floyd Stadium and Raider Walk, the Grove provides an atmosphere for tailgating and pre-game celebrations.

3:45 PM Raider Walk
Raider Walk began in 2000, which features the team walking through Walnut Grove two hours prior to kickoff. The walk allows fans, cheerleaders and members of the Band of Blue to wish the Blue Raiders luck in their upcoming game. Look for the blue lightning bolts on the sidewalk to know where the players and coaches will walk.

4 PM Lightning's Locker Room Opens
Stop by Lightning’s Locker Room at Gate 2 of Floyd Stadium to pick up your Middle Tennessee gear.

4 PM Blue Raider Beer Garden Opens
Visit the all new Blue Raider Beer Garden inside Floyd Stadium to continue your pre-game tailgate. Enter from the center gate on Faulkinberry Drive.

4:30 PM Floyd Stadium Gates Open

4:30 PM Field Available for Teams

6:06 PM KICKOFF

Can't imagine CRS would even take the time to scoff at analytics.

Can't imagine CRS would even take the time to scoff at analytics.

Agree about Stock...I did read the article, Duke went for it 4 times in the 4th Q when the game was already decided not sure that was necessary.

Agree about Stock...I did read the article, Duke went for it 4 times in the 4th Q when the game was already decided not sure that was necessary.

Well personally that doesn't bother me, I always say my job to run plays and it's the defenses job to stop me. It's a trend with some schools in High School, the analytics point to going for it and you do. Obviously it's deemed a sportsmanship issue but it's nothing major in my mind..

Line is holding steady at 6 1/2

Our defense is gonna have to play better if we are to have any chance. We cannot give up another 400+ yard game on defense.

So what do you guys predict for this game?

I'm hoping O'Hara comes up big and we pull it off.

28-24 good guys

Also, and this is subjective, but I work with a lot of MT grads that are not "fans" that are coming to the game. Its anecdotal to me, but I think this would be huge in securing a more local base that doesnt really follow. Have to give them a reason.

Also, and this is subjective, but I work with a lot of MT grads that are not "fans" that are coming to the game. Its anecdotal to me, but I think this would be huge in securing a more local base that doesnt really follow. Have to give them a reason.

This is one of those games that matters the most when it come to building a fan base. If we want to grow the numbers at our game then this is a must win. Its not fair, but it is what it is. Duke is a P5 and has name recognition. Its also a early season game when the most will be there in person.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
This is one of those games that matters the most when it come to building a fan base. If we want to grow the numbers at our game then this is a must win. Its not fair, but it is what it is. Duke is a P5 and has name recognition. Its also a early season game when the most will be there in person.

I can't tell you how many times I have read that on this message board or heard that around the community/program. Then, without fail, like McCollum before him, Stockstill lets them come out and lay an egg.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I can't tell you how many times I have read that on this message board or heard that around the community/program. Then, without fail, like McCollum before him, Stockstill lets them come out and lay an egg.

interesting article in the Memphis paper just for this excerpt:

...Late in the 1998 season, with Tennessee racing toward the national crown and MTSU preparing for a move to the highest level of college football, Cutcliffe was deep in talks about taking over the Blue Raiders’ program.

“That would have been a job that I would have without question taken,” Cutcliffe said. “I talked to them in a very serious manner. I have great respect for the institution. … You knew that Middle was well on its way to becoming special.”

Moments after a win for Tennessee at Vanderbilt to end the regular season, Cutcliffe was surprised to hear from reporters that Tommy Tuberville was leaving Ole Miss for Auburn.

“I got to the locker room,” Cutcliffe said, “and I had in my mind viewed Middle as a phenomenal opportunity. And then the phone rang, and it was Ole Miss. That’s literally the timing of that circumstance. Not that I wouldn’t have been honored (to coach MTSU), but obviously an SEC job and my connections with Archie and the Manning family, that was going to be the one that I would take. …

“They let me know immediately that they weren’t talking about interviewing. They were talking about hiring.”

It was announced within a week. Cutcliffe produced winning seasons each of his first five years in Oxford. But he was fired after going 4-7 in 2004, a move that remains one of the most baffling and questionable coaching decisions in SEC football history.....

ADVERTISEMENT