ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (0-3, 0-1) vs WKU (0-2, 0-0) (ESPN3)/Homecoming, Saturday 4PM, October 3, 2020

We have been selling Stock short, according to USAToday, he made $901504 salary and $913,504 with bonuses in 2019.

Next HC is going to get a 5 year, $4 to 5 million contract.

The key number is assistant salary. We need to double our assistant salaries. I honestly don’t know where the money comes from.

I believe he is now at $1.1 million this year. He triggered the automatic raises each of the first five years (with a five year cap) and remember he delayed those raises, which should all be kicked back in now. Those auto raises were the death sentence. That lone incentive ($100K salary boost) he had just to win five conference games or get to seven total have now expired and he has no monetary incentive to reach those such lofty milestones. It was an absurd incentive - not a single $100K “bonus” but a perpetual addition to his salutary for basically getting to .500 or slightly better).

I believe he is now at $1.1 million this year. He triggered the automatic raises each of the first five years (with a five year cap) and remember he delayed those raises, which should all be kicked back in now. Those auto raises were the death sentence. The line incentive he had just to win five conference games or get to seven total have now expired and he has no monetary incentive to reach those such lofty milestones.
He’s had no real incentive to produce since he was granted the 3 extra years. Coaches LOVE years. That bonehead decision alone was what put us in the position we are in now. How many of us would delay an unearned potential annual bonus of $100,000 x 3 in exchange for $2.4 million guaranteed at the $800,000 base you already make in your contract?
Just thinking about it gets my blood boiling again. Massaro and McPhee got exactly what they deserved and the fan base suffers because of it.

I guess the $100,000 bonus kicked in for His 2019 based on 2018 results?
What a helluva ROI......😢

No, he had already secured it but delayed it to get an extra three years. In essence he delayed $300K to guarantee himself an extra three years (or in other words an extra $3.3 million). Such altruism. But you already know that. That my friend is the one hell of a ROI for himself.

Of all aspects of his deal - that was by far the worst. Far worse than the version that he got for the $100K and auto extensions. So, when I talk about CRS fleecing the U this is the one that really burns me up.

He’s had no real incentive to produce since he was granted the 3 extra years. Coaches LOVE years. That bonehead decision alone was what put us in the position we are in now. How many of us would delay an unearned potential annual bonus of $100,000 x 3 in exchange for $2.4 million guaranteed at the $800,000 base you already make in your contract?
Just thinking about it gets my blood boiling again. Massaro and McPhee got exactly what they deserved and the fan base suffers because of it.

See we are on the same page but it’s actually $3.3M not $2.4M. The reason is because he kicked all five of the raises so he went from $621K to $1.1M, so those extra three years on the backend of the contract now total $3.3M That’s why his buyout will be $5.5M at the end of this year and was $6.6M at the end of last year.

• Angry
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
See we are on the same page but it’s actually $3.3M not $2.4M. The reason is because he kicked all five of the raises so he went from $621K to $1.1M, so those extra three years on the backend of the contract now total $3.3M That’s why his buyout will be $5.5M at the end of this year and was $6.6M at the end of last year.
Damn. I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of the faculty advisory board meetings when they talk about the highest paid employees on campus (both with losing records) making a combined $2MM.
Beautiful.

Damn. I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of the faculty advisory board meetings when they talk about the highest paid employees on campus (both with losing records) making a combined $2MM.
Beautiful.

Some of the money is laughable - like Stock making $75K a year to do the coaches show. Figured you’d love that one 😂

I believe he is now at $1.1 million this year. He triggered the automatic raises each of the first five years (with a five year cap) and remember he delayed those raises, which should all be kicked back in now. Those auto raises were the death sentence. That lone incentive ($100K salary boost) he had just to win five conference games or get to seven total have now expired and he has no monetary incentive to reach those such lofty milestones. It was an absurd incentive - not a single $100K “bonus” but a perpetual addition to his salutary for basically getting to .500 or slightly better).

Massaro is an idiot.

They sold it at the time that Stock passed on the money could be used in the program. I completely missed it was just moved down the road. Unreal.

Massaro is an idiot.

They sold it at the time that Stock passed on the money could be used in the program. I completely missed it was just moved down the road. Unreal.
This was about the time I got kicked out of Blue Raider Zone. I made fun of the fact that Massaro, Owens and Stock sold it as some grand act of benevolence to anyone in the media who would listen. Was supposedly used towards the Cost of Attendance stipend paid to all student-athletes.

This was about the time I got kicked out of Blue Raider Zone. I made fun of the fact that Massaro, Owens and Stock sold it as some grand act of benevolence to anyone in the media who would listen. Was supposedly used towards the Cost of Attendance stipend paid to all student-athletes.

That’s exactly how it was sold.

I knew he about the built in contract extension for being mediocre instead of terrible, but I never realized this salary move was a deferment. I completely missed the bait and switch move.

Tyson Helton signed a 4 year deal at $800k at WKU - now, he was on his way out at UT, so they probably got him at a discount. Willie Taggart signed for 750k for 5 years, but he's got FSU buyout $$$'s. Rickey Rahne at ODU as a same $750k per for 5.

That's the waters we'll need to be fishing in.

Helton can earn more in incentives. One of his incentives is $$$'s for hitting season ticket goals. In that way, you can structure it to pay for itself sort of. They can get creative, but that $750-800k seems to be the going rate.

The roster is void of talent and it's going to take several recruiting cycles to rebuild it, and any new coach is going to have to work double time for years on the rubber chicken circuit to win back over a fan base that's withered away. 5 wins might be success while we dig our way out. Any new coach is going to want security in $$$$'s and years, and he's not going to want an incentive laden deal.

I'm not sure of our position or finances of the AD with respect to the buyout or whatnot. But we're at the point where inaction is hurting the program more than making the change and forking over the $$$$'s. Honestly, we may have already crossed that Rubicon.
so much talent in the portal, it wouldn't take long

Reactions: MTLynn

Yeah, I was suffering from the Apathy-19 virus last year and was self-quaranteening.
I was diagnosed with Apathy-19 early Last year. Doctors orders were stop buying season tickets and giving to BRAA. Only thing I had resembling a mask was a large paper sack that I wore over my head. Social distancing has never been a problem when I went for my treatments at JRF, so Im used to that. I am feeling better now, especially on Saturdays where I have much more free time. Hope we get a vaccine soon.

ADVERTISEMENT