ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Memphis transfer on his visit this past weekend

Sounds like he would be a good get but my goodness, is our coaching staff not going after any center/forwards??

Reactions: amgtmom
Sounds like he would be a good get but my goodness, is our coaching staff not going after any center/forwards??

I wonder the same thing. We all know that is apparently out biggest need for next year is 'Bigs" (didn't McDevitt imply that?) and McDevitt said his #1 priority for next year was to bring in players who would help the seniors have the best year possible. So far the only player we have signed who we know is eligible next year is Crump and if Johnson comes he would be one more sitting out.

Regardless, I don't want to start the oversigning we've seen from Davis so often. Unless McDevitt isn't going to give Sims a scholarship or we have defections we don't have room for Johnson. We're at the 13 limit for men's BkB.

Agreed that Thomas didn't do much as a red-shirt freshman and Massenburg, although the highest rated of last years' freshmen, is an unknown after a red-shirt (Davis said he "hit a wall" in the preseason and one poster was unimpressed with him in practice - that's all I know).

But, without Thomas and Massenburg we are left with only Gamble and Hawthorne (both seniors) as players with any size. Personally, I don't want to lose anyone and can't see how we can enter the season with only two players 6' 7" or bigger and hope to be successful, should Thomas and Massenburg transfer. If I were to bet on anyone jumping ship it would be Shelton-Szmidt but time will tell. It's hard to project how any current player will do in McDevitt's program. Nothing will surprise me.

These seem like good players, but where are the frontcourt players? This isn't some Big South Conf type operation where you can get away with running 4 or 5 guards.

These seem like good players, but where are the frontcourt players? This isn't some Big South Conf type operation where you can get away with running 4 or 5 guards.
My guess would be they feel strongly about the 2019 relationships they have with potential forwards and centers. You have to be adaptable coming into a new job and get the best players regardless of position at this early junction.

Just wondering: Which present player would you be willing to jettison to make room for Johnson?

I'll leave that up to CNM. One thing I try to always remember with recruiting news is that the coaching staff is basing its recruiting strategy on the knowledge of several known variables, which may be unknown by the public. In my view, I want the staff to be pursuing the most talented players they can find, and I trust that they know how to make the roster numbers work. I think McDevitt and his staff are owed the benefit of the doubt at least until we actually make it to the fall semester and we know for sure who is on campus for the start of the season.

I'll leave that up to CNM. One thing I try to always remember with recruiting news is that the coaching staff is basing its recruiting strategy on the knowledge of several known variables, which may be unknown by the public. In my view, I want the staff to be pursuing the most talented players they can find, and I trust that they know how to make the roster numbers work. I think McDevitt and his staff are owed the benefit of the doubt at least until we actually make it to the fall semester and we know for sure who is on campus for the start of the season.

You are right. Myself, I've been pleased with the backcourt players CNM has been bringing in, but I've been hoping for one of those pleasantly surprised frontcourt type of recruits.

You are right. Myself, I've been pleased with the backcourt players CNM has been bringing in, but I've been hoping for one of those pleasantly surprised frontcourt type of recruits.

CNM has traditionally taken the best players available regardless of playing position while at UNCA.. and there are far fewer quality bigs out there than guards- CNM and staff had been relationship recruiting (i.e. significant time invested on pinpointed recruits as early as possible and working them over years before they've been highlighted/promoted/noticed by bigger programs) by necessity while at UNCA- my guess is we will have to wait until next recruiting cycle to see some potential bigs landed.. but MTSU will attract different guys than CNM was able to attract to UNCA given a number of demographics, offerings, funding, amenities..

I know fans want 3 & 4 star guys for whatever those ratings are worth- but if you look at all those P5 transfers UNCA has had- you will find a bunch of 2 star guys that were all recruited/signed early (only exception Dylan Smith who went to Arizona)

I'm definitely not getting my panties in a wad over this recruiting class. CNM came in at a tough time and I trust is doing the best he can with what he has to work with right now. Go out and play the best we can with what we have and hope that needs begin to get filled with the next recruiting class.

CNM has traditionally taken the best players available regardless of playing position while at UNCA.. and there are far fewer quality bigs out there than guards- CNM and staff had been relationship recruiting (i.e. significant time invested on pinpointed recruits as early as possible and working them over years before they've been highlighted/promoted/noticed by bigger programs) by necessity while at UNCA- my guess is we will have to wait until next recruiting cycle to see some potential bigs landed.. but MTSU will attract different guys than CNM was able to attract to UNCA given a number of demographics, offerings, funding, amenities..

I know fans want 3 & 4 star guys for whatever those ratings are worth- but if you look at all those P5 transfers UNCA has had- you will find a bunch of 2 star guys that were all recruited/signed early (only exception Dylan Smith who went to Arizona)

That's reasonable and fair. I've been gathering that CNM takes time to build relationships in recruiting. That should yield quality recruits, but it will take some time. Next year at the earliest is when I would expect to see one or two high quality recruits out of HS. Given a couple/few years, his recruiting style could really start to produce the recruiting classes most of us would like to see. His recruiting style would also likely be effective in consistently yielding high quality recruiting classes year after year. Again, it would likely take a few years to build and get that system into place.

Again, I've been hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a frontcourt recruit. I do significantly differentiate between hoping and expecting. Expecting is still a couple of years away.

A question or two since you know CNM certainly far better than me. Has CNM been successful in developing players abilities and skills once they are on campus over a year or more? Generally speaking of course. With CNM having a history of playing PG, it could be assumed he might be more proficient in developing players who are guards. Has he and his staff maintained success in developing frontcourt players' skills and abilities after they are on campus?

As you likely know, MT has several frontcourt players on the roster who all appear to have the physical tools and abilities to be decent or good players and contributors for the team. None of those players have done much to demonstrate that they are ready for primetime starting roles on a high performing team. Gamble has the potential to be an incredible player, but he still needs lots of development this offseason in order to be ready to take over the leading role in the frontcourt. That is an example of why I'm asking some of the questions about the coaches' track record in player development.

A question or two since you know CNM certainly far better than me. Has CNM been successful in developing players abilities and skills once they are on campus over a year or more? Generally speaking of course. With CNM having a history of playing PG, it could be assumed he might be more proficient in developing players who are guards. Has he and his staff maintained success in developing frontcourt players' skills and abilities after they are on campus?

As you likely know, MT has several frontcourt players on the roster who all appear to have the physical tools and abilities to be decent or good players and contributors for the team. None of those players have done much to demonstrate that they are ready for primetime starting roles on a high performing team. Gamble has the potential to be an incredible player, but he still needs lots of development this offseason in order to be ready to take over the leading role in the frontcourt. That is an example of why I'm asking some of the questions about the coaches' track record in player development.

I've definitely seen player development for the guys willing to put in the work.. that's the caveat because some BIGS that have ended up at Avl just didn't love basketball enough to put in the work- they've been tall, played hoops but didn't love it enough to grind in the summer, develop their footwork, and invest the time.. The guys who have invested the time like graduating senior Ahmad Thomas developed into a 2-time DPOY and was 3rd in the country in steals 2 seasons ago- Jaleel Roberts, DJ Cunningham are a couple others who came in raw and developed well over time- Roberts didn't put up crazy numbers but has bounced around the NBA summer leagues, G league and overseas & he became prepared for pro ball over his time here.. staying healthy aided in that as well..

Reactions: dukewayne
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT