ADVERTISEMENT

Media and Stock's contract

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Just listened to the podcast of Monte's show yesterday with ex-MT coach Preston O'Neal as guest. It was clear neither of them were aware of the provisions of Stock's contract. They made the assumption that there would be no bonuses w/o a championship or bowl which is clearly counter to what knowledgeable posters have reported.

Another example of the lack of knowledgeable, inquisitive, and investigative media coverage of the MT athletic dept.

This post was edited on 12/13 9:13 AM by MTFNBY5

The contract is what it is. It's not like MT athletics is flush with cash. The contract is the way it is because MT could make that vs a lot of upfront cash when Massaro was battling to keep CRS after the 2009 season and other schools were offering much more in the way of yearly salary. No amount of harping on it is going to change it.

As far as most sports radio talk hosts/personalities. My impression is they don't spend a lot of time in researching why things are the way they are when it comes to Middle Tennessee. They can name the third string punter at any $ec school, but can't tell you the name of the starting QB at MT. They know their audience for the most part and just slide by without a great deal of show prep. Not sure our beat writer is much different.

This post was edited on 12/13 5:32 PM by SpaceRaider

I like to use Hutton as a prime example when it comes to local media. He would love nothing more than to talk MT sports all day long on his show, but that simply doesn't move the needle. People aren't listening to hear MT talk. And of those who are legit MT fans who do listen to the show, nobody calls in to talk MT, which is the biggest problem. If people call in or show an interest in general, then Hutton and ALL the other local shows would talk more MT. It's really that simple.

BUT, BUT, BUUUTT - Monte is MT through and through - My point is that Monte, Sparks (when he was here), and whoever the DNJ beat writer is now (sorry, he hasn't made enough of an impression for me to remember his name) - None of them seem to give one whit about doing investigative journalism or keeping up with the ins and outs of the program.

For whatever reason they just report on games and the teams - Never any hard questions - I'll go back a few years (and there are many other examples) - Never did anyone ask Insell to even make a comment when a player with a high upside left the program. It was never mentioned in the media. Fans want at the very least a comment from the coach. Fans for 95% of the "Power" schools would demand it. Not picking on Insell or women's BkB - Other sports and the athletic dept. have had questions which deserve an answer but the question is never asked.

Easier said than done I think. In a situation like what the DNJ finds themselves in, you ruffle the wrong feathers, and all of a sudden you're on the outside looking in. No more scoops, no more interviews, no more nothing. Sounds extreme, but it could happen.

I'm not saying the MT administration is like that, but a single beat writer has to have the inkling that they should tread lightly I would think. Not gonna speak for Sparks or Borthick on that one, though.

ADVERTISEMENT