ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS McPhee Celebrates 20 Years at Middle Tennessee While Facing COVID Crisis

Other than the increase in enrollment, which is as much a factor of the area's population growth as anything, has anything really improved at MTsU during McPhee's two decades as president?

Other than the increase in enrollment, which is as much a factor of the area's population growth as anything, has anything really improved at MTsU during McPhee's two decades as president?

Enrollment overall is higher than 20 years ago for sure but recent enrollment trends are alarming in my opinion.

Enrollment overall is higher than 20 years ago for sure but recent enrollment trends are alarming in my opinion.

It'll be interesting to see the effect of this covid19 on enrollments at MT and other universities. While MT enrollment has been on a glide path to a lower enrollment, others (apsu, for example, topped 11k for first time ever in fall, 2019) have been experiencing growth, record growth. A year or so ago, Peay was projecting enrollment to increase to over 15k by 2025.

It is sort of dissappointing that this stagnant period has come when infrastructure, classroom space, buildings, have caught up to the student population. Some might point to the campus buildings over the last two decades as a positive for mcphee, but I believe that growth would be the same if not better under anyone else filling that office space in cope.

Reactions: Hop45
It'll be interesting to see the effect of this covid19 on enrollments at MT and other universities. While MT enrollment has been on a glide path to a lower enrollment, others (apsu, for example, topped 11k for first time ever in fall, 2019) have been experiencing growth, record growth. A year or so ago, Peay was projecting enrollment to increase to over 15k by 2025.

It is sort of dissappointing that this stagnant period has come when infrastructure, classroom space, buildings, have caught up to the student population. Some might point to the campus buildings over the last two decades as a positive for mcphee, but I believe that growth would be the same if not better under anyone else filling that office space in cope.

Couldn’t have stated it any better.

Don't forget about 7 wood crawling into the back pocket of the Chinese ...

I did think it was interesting that he went out of his way to bring China up and talk about how they "helped" us. See quote below. I wonder if China told all the people receiving money from them that they better start talking about how good China has been during all this?

“Conflict between nations is usually between governments, not people,” said McPhee. “[This pandemic] has brought out the best at MTSU and with our Chinese partners. We all need each other in crisis and conflict. We need to know each other well and work through the issues. We have been able to get PPEs because of our partners in China…Several of our graduates … and business partners have got us through the situation.”

Reactions: SpaceRaider

“Much that I have seen since my return to my native land after an absence of many years has filled my with immeasurable satisfaction and pride. Our material progress has been little short of phenomenal.

It has established an eminence in material strength so far in advance of any other nation or combination of nations that talk of an imminent threat to our national security through the application of external force is pure nonsense.

It is not of any external threat that I concern myself but rather of insidious forces working from within which have already so drastically altered the character of our free institutions — these institutions which formerly we hailed as something beyond question of challenge — those institutions we proudly called the American way of life.

Foremost of these forces is that directly, or even more frequently indirectly, allied with the scourge of imperialistic Communism. It has infiltrated into positions of public trust and responsibility — into journalism, the press, the radio and the school.

It seeks through covert manipulation of the civil power and the media of public information and education to pervert the truth, impair respect for moral values, suppress human freedom and representative government, and in the end destroy our faith in our religious teachings
."
- General Douglas MacArthur

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT