ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe this is silly

Blue Raider Lightning

Blue Raider Fan
Jul 31, 2005
Since we have our coach in place, I am sorta curious to feelings on making a change in Murphy Center. I realize this can be considered trivial, but it's something that's bugged me for a while.

It seems to me you would want the opposition facing your student body in the second half. Granted, our student body needs to get more consistent in its support, but when there, they can make an impact. I'd rather see the Blue Raiders flip to the other bench so that the visiting team is shooting toward the students in the second half. When free throws count the most, there is opportunity for distraction on that end.

I’ve had the same thought. Thought Kermit would have made that recommendation since he knows what the students can do to influence a game

I’ve had the same thought. Thought Kermit would have made that recommendation since he knows what the students can do to influence a game

Aren't there some conference rules about location of student seating vs the visiting team? Didn't they shift student seating for football games due to that and it's been years and years since student seating was changed in Murphy Center.

I've had the same thought a few times over the last few seasons too.

I can see where they wouldn't want the students directly behind the bench, but switching ends would not change that. Students would be closer, yet behind the bench would remain season ticket holders.

You could be right about some conference rules, but I'd think they were more along the lines of immediately behind. I don't know that for sure.

If there is no stipulation, looks like now is a perfect time to make a change.

Murphy Ctr., when built, was as much as could have been hoped for in an arena at MT. The PTB at the time were, and still should be, commended for waiting until the funding was secured to make the facility a true "Athletic and Convocation Center" rather than being just an enlarged AMG (which would have been possible years earlier).
For many years after being built The Murph was great for MT BkB, TSSAA State Tournaments, graduations, etc. and was the best concert venue in the mid-south. But, times have changed and the needs for MT basketball with it. Steps have been and are apparently being taken to start bringing Murphy Ctr. into this century but the process will be long and arduous. Major upgrades will require huge funding and must take priority behind other athletic needs such as a new IPF which includes an indoor track.

Regardless, back to the thread there are needed changes to the seating layout for BkB games not just including the placement of the two teams even if that change is possible (IIRC the teams were on the opposite side of the floor when first opened but I could be wrong).
While every seat in The Murph is great with good sightlines to the floor there are several issues which could possibly be addressed with a new perspective (coming from a new staff?).

Ideally:
> Students should be on the court facing the most prominent TV cameras (which IMHO would encourage student attendance and early arrival) Not good that the high-dollar seats are located on both sides on the floor.
> Seating for reserved, student, and general admission should be clearly identified and enforced (not just for the benefit of reserved seat holders but also to get all students together where they can be a part of the student experience - way too many students who attend infrequently seem to feel all seating is GA).
> A method for ensuring that most reserved seats near the floor are filled should be implemented (our TV crowd is often seen as among the worse in college BkB).
> Season ticket holders whose seats are rarely used should be moved away from the court (if we don't have a way to tell which season tickets are used a method should be immediately implemented).

Change will be hard on some fans (perhaps this fan included) but current needs are not being met with the seating policies in place. Now would be a good time to address some of the issues with seating in the venue.

...IIRC the teams were on the opposite side of the floor when first opened but I could be wrong...

IIRC, the teams were seated along the opposite baselines, a la vandy memorial gym style the first couple of years. I remember at one of the 'Fly Williams games' he had to be restrained from charging into the fans on that end after some really creative taunting by fans...

I do remember the team benches on the press box side of the floor later and had a close up view when the histrionic and appropriately named Dick Fick, God rest his soul, the coach at Morehead State and one of the best reasons ever to attend a game with Morehead State in the Murphy Center, was tossed just a minute or two into the game...

931217DickFickA-537x675.jpg

Ah, Dick Fick. Remember him getting thrown out of a game when he mooned "Ole Blue" the mascot and the ref thought he was aiming at him. He ended up in the big donors room drinking beer and holding court.

Ah, Dick Fick. Remember him getting thrown out of a game when he mooned "Ole Blue" the mascot and the ref thought he was aiming at him. He ended up in the big donors room drinking beer and holding court.

ESPN, back in the days when they took note of what was happening in basketball in the non P5 conferences, even had a weekly 'Dick Fick' award for the most across the line in game coaching reaction ...

Another possible silly thing.

104.5 the zone drive home suggested middle missed making a splash by announcing Saturday and waiting until tomorrow for a press conference. Said that “you gotta sieze the moment”.

I can’t say I disagree.

104.5 the zone drive home suggested middle missed making a splash by announcing Saturday and waiting until tomorrow for a press conference. Said that “you gotta sieze the moment”.

I can’t say I disagree.

Maybe, but I was listening to the morning show on 104.5 this am, and Mark Howard, prounounced Massaro's name as Missero. I get really tired of the ignorance of the folks on the sports talk shows in Nashville. It's a shame that the only ones that really seem to know anything about MT athletics is Greg Pogue and Joe Dubin and Jonathan Hutton (when he's allowed to discuss MT).

I belly laugh to joe and Greg all the time. Plus they know their misstate stuff better than Howard ever will.

I can’t say I disagree.

I think some of the issue may have been the fact that McDevitt and his wife welcomed a new baby girl on Thursday right before he came here to sign the contract on Saturday. I would assume that may also be why he has not contacted the signed recruits as of yet. He has a lot on his plate at the moment and I feel like he deserves a little slack with this.

Given those circumstances, That makes sense. I don’t know anything about the recruiting stuff. When we had each of my four kids, my head was on a swivel so the fact that he is out with MT is wild.

I think it’s a compliment from drive time hosts about our basketball program. Instead of a intro with a 5 second news spot, they are talking about our program and always putting us with the likes of Butler or Gonzaga. I think they were talking more about Leadership making a full on announcement.

She gave birth to their daughter Thursday evening, he slept in a recliner for 3 hours, Massaro calls him and says come to Murfreesboro, meets for 3+ hours and agrees to the job, or has to go home Friday night and talk to his wife (who just gave birth) about it, probably accepts it Saturday? (or late Friday night) Then has to spend time with his new daughter and work out stuff to get back here, meet the team, etc. I mean, they can talk all they want but that is a whirlwind of time and I don't blame anyone for waiting until today.

PLUS...let's not overlook it is the same day as the Board of Trustees meeting. Hmmmm...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT