ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe MT will pull a Texas - was WKU rubbing MT's nose in it?

ToddMalone

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Last night we were deciding between:
1. cycling the Music City Greenway into downtown Nashville
2. driving up to Bowling Green to watch MT/WKU

I'm glad we chose cycling. Whoa, that was bad bad game.

If there is a positive to take away, I'm hoping the way WKU seemed to appear to be running up the score will further intensify the rivalry and increase support at both schools.

Hang in there Blue Raider players. Just look at what the Longhorns did today.
Sports mirrors life. Keep on trying.

Not much to say about this one. A thorough loss and taken out behind the barn by halftime. First quarter we were not very well prepared. MT actually outscored Western in the second half 14-6 and we stopped Doughtry (sp?) from having a 400 yard passing day. 58-28 final was not as bad as it could have been, but it was more than enough for them. Could have put 70+ on us easily.

Reactions: MTLynn
We scored 6 in the second half and took Doughty out. Didn't run up score. Especially since our history shows no lead is safe. Anyone watch the Bowl game last year?

To be fair regarding WKU, I think it would be safe to say that they did not run up the score. I did check back in a little while in the 2nd half. It looked like WKU took their foot off the gas peddle. Very vanilla sets and play calling. Punts and/or FGs when they likely could have easily converted a 4th & 2 type thing. Yep, that game was over in the 1st qtr. It looked like MTSU walked right off the bus and on to the field to play. Just not ready or prepared to play a team that was ready, prepared, and capable.

From what I could tell, I have no real problems with WKU today. No more than them simply being WKU. Other than that, they seemed to play within the rules and with reasonable sportsmanship.

Reactions: TeKEraider
I was actually surprised WKU let up as early as they did. And that's not because they'd just want to completely stomp MT out, but because no lead is safe in this day and age. WKU knows that first hand. I thought they'd keep piling on until later in the game..

Brohm did not run up the score. Didn't have to. We were done by halftime. Players, coaches, trainers, fans, the whole caravan was in shock.

I expected to lose at the most by a couple of TD's if the defense got tired, but definitely not by halftime. Our entire game plan was shot before the end of the 1st Qtr.

I was actually surprised WKU let up as early as they did. And that's not because they'd just want to completely stomp MT out, but because no lead is safe in this day and age. WKU knows that first hand. I thought they'd keep piling on until later in the game..

I agree. After what happened in their bowl game last year I thought they'd keep the pedal to the metal, especially against a team they hate.

Honestly I wish western would have run up the score. Maybe that would have been the slap in Stockstill's face to wake him up. Watching on TV not one time did see him say anything to any players or coaches. He looked defeated after the first WKU score. It was almost as if he gave up

After halftime, WKU eased up. During the first half, Chip Walters actually said on the air it appeared WKU was rubbing MT's nose in it.

In the first half? LMAO. Chip should know better than that. And Stock played for a guy (Bobby Bowden) who said this.....,.,

"You know, in basketball if you can score and you don't do it, they call that 'point shaving' and they put you in jail for it."

And when at West Virginia, he told Lou Holtz this after blowing out Wm. and Mary......

"It's your job to keep the score down, not mine. If you don't like the score, either recruit harder or coach better. I've got to coach my team and you've got to coach yours. You can only coach one team."

I don't blame WKU at all. They have one heck of an offense. I wish they would have put 100 on us. I hope Stock took notes. That's what an offense should look like. That's what Basketball on grass is. As a brilliant poster on the other board said, we're playing "Croquet on Rocks" right now.

WKU should win the CUSA championship undefeated in conference play. I just don't see Marshall competing with them for 4 quarters. Should win the east with ease.

in the post game I heard Chip ask and CRS respond of something to the effect of we did not want to get into matching score for score. My immeidiate reaction was sort of a laugh and WTF did they want to do??? In context... I could understand what they were meaning, but wku forced the issue and there was no adjustment of what the MT offense was trying to do (whatever the hell that was in the first place). Our coaches knew what they were facing going into the game, and I have to say I saw no plan or preparation the minute the game started. Poor coaching, poor preparation, poor game plan, poor execution. dnj report card on the game was too far too kind. From me, it would be Fs all the way around.

Space, I'll take your comments a bit further, Trey Helton and Jeff Brohm knew exactly where and when they wanted to attack our defense. The first two WKU drives carved our guys up like a Thanksgiving turkey. They looked lost on the sideline. When WKU did the flanker reverse pass by Fant with the go route for Taylor's 3rd TD pass, our DB's were beaten by 20 yards. Happened right in front of me. They went up 49-14 and it was over at that point. Our best safety was visibly shaken on the sideline. Hopefully the staff will do their jobs this week and get the guys back or it's gonna be another frustrating season playing catchup to be bowl eligible.

who cares about being bowl eligible? I thought our goal was a CUSA championship and winning some big OOC games. Bowl eligibility means nothing...you're not even guaranteed a bowl. If I could delete one term from the college football dictionary, it would be "bowl eligibility" straight f'in retarded

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
and are you really worried about being "bowl eligible" it is stock's middle name, 6-6 his game.

It would be one heck of an accomplishment for this team to make a bowl from this point. Although I would not be happy about it, I guess it could be argued that MT could back into a bowl with a 6-6 record. I just prefer getting the 'ole bowl bid with at least 7 wins. Still, I'm not betting the farm on MT only losing 1 or 2 more the rest of the way this season. IMO, next up FIU is going to be very difficult for MT to beat. Again, I think it would be great for MT to win out the rest of the way this season, but I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT