ADVERTISEMENT

Massaro needs to be fired

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
For giving Stockstill tenure and making it impossible to fire him. Everyone here says we can't "afford" to fire Stockstill, though I don't understand how we can afford to keep him. He is single handedly sinking our program.

But if we are stuck with Stockstill, then there needs to be some accountability for the person who put us in this situation. And that is Chris Massaro.

I'm assuming McPhee would have to make that call? Or would it be the new board of trustees? Why is there not more support for firing Massaro? He's the one who is ultimately accountable for this mess because he gave Stockstill tenure here in return for chronic .500 results.

In the mean time, fire the entire offensive staff and encourage all these FCS players on our roster to transfer out. Let's clear some schollies for some talented OL and WR's who can actually block, run, and catch. Let's hire some younger more hungry coaches on the offensive side of the ball and start there.

What do we have to lose?

People need to email Massaro thoughts on the current program. He will respond with that he likes to compare stock against his peers then will give you statistics on stocks record vs Cusa and sunbelt teams. I think he also took out the one 2-10 Kilgore year to really try and justify the current status of the program. I wonder if we get a mass email again from massaro saying stick with us after getting blasted by Vandy last year again.

No.

It's time to skip emailing Massaro. We've been emailing Massaro for 10 years. Look where that's gotten us.

People need to start emailing McPhee and the board of trustees.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
No.

It's time to skip emailing Massaro. We've been emailing Massaro for 10 years. Look where that's gotten us.

They could care less honestly. It’s MTSU football i mean come on. As long as the APR is great, kids are not getting in trouble, and they win a few games nothing will move the needle with McPhee until he is replaced.

No.

My personal opinion is that he’s been checked out since 2014 but then he didn’t get the Georgia St job or the Dayton job.

Reactions: mtfblue
They could care less honestly. It’s MTSU football i mean come on. As long as the APR is great, kids are not getting in trouble, and they win a few games nothing will move the needle with McPhee until he is replaced.

Well then screw all of them then. Let it all continue to rot.

My personal opinion is that he’s been checked out since 2014 but then he didn’t get the Georgia St job or the Dayton job.
The fact that he didn't get either should tell us all we need to know about what kind of an AD he is.

No one will take this job with the FB contract hanging over the program. I am still hoping for a miracle and Stock catches some Kermit magic but we simple must deal with the dollars and structure of the deal.

Passed over for Georgia St and Dayton - WOW !

Seriously that speaks volumes. Even those programs knew they could do better and not a sniff from another program since then? Of course not, what can you sell them on.

This is the best thread, because the AD is the problem. He needs to go, like 5 years ago. Does anyone on this board actually think we can take the next step forward with this guy running the athletics department? Honestly it's embarrassing with him leading things. The lack of progression is just shocking and we seem to be fine with it.

Dayton folks! Even Dayton didn't want him, but he's still here doing nothing with our program.

Massaro had to be surprised when he got into the job at MT to discover the absolute difficulty raising $$$s for the athletic department. He was probably shocked to find out that a school as large as MT in such a dynamic part of the country would not have more connections in the mid-state business community and alumni with deeper pockets who could be enticed to support the program.

I'm sure he realized shortly that Rutherford Co. (as much as I hate to admit it) along with 99% of our mid-state is UT-K territory, that the Titans had sucked up so much potential corporate funds leaving most of the scraps for VU, and that circumstances out of his control along with changes over time were all detrimental to MT athletics becoming the next Boise, Louisville, or Va. Tech.

The advent of the ESPNing of sports (along with the development of conference networks), the huge and growing separation of financial resources between the have and have-nots, and the economic downturn of '08 had to all conspire to dampen Massaro's enthusiasm for his potential success at MT. I'm not defending Massaro from the criticism of those who believe he missed some opportunities. We may never know what he attempted behind the scenes but some obvious options to move the program forward were missed.

Regardless, I have to believe about half-way into Massaro's tenure he started looking for better opportunities (hard for MT fans to accept that Dayton and Ga St. would be better) and he began to see the athletic directorship at MT as just a "lifestyle maintenance" position.

I thought at the time when I heard a CEO of an organization imply that once an employee applies for another job you should look for opportunities to let him/her go that such an approach was not rational, much less fair to the employee.
In this case I'm not so sure.

I was patient when over a 3-yr. span Stock went from 10-3 to 2-10.

Since that time mediocrity and apathy has set in and then Chris rewarded him (Stock) for it with a contract that a school like MT should NEVER enter into to. That’s when CM lost me.

And when he sat in my office after the Tommy West hire asking me to continue to support the program, I found out later he was trying to get the Ga. State job. I graduated from MT in ‘05 and was True Blue for 9 straight years. Eventually you see through all the bull.

To play Devil's advocate...don't most big time schools give their coaches' terrible contracts like Stock's? Since we hired someone who worked at a South Carolina for years why would we expect someone to run our department any other way (like a school with a large budget). You can't blame Massaro for where he came from. He didn't come from a program that had to be built he was at one that was already built. Therein lies the issue. Massaro has been fine but the problem is when you look at his major hires...Insell was great, McDevitt on paper was fine but uninspired, and Stockstill is average. He's a conservative guy with how he runs the program. So Massaro is who he is. Just like Stock.

Curious - has Casey or any of the staff here ever used FOIA to see CRS's or Massaro's contract?

I have seen DNJ discussion about the contract and we always talk about how we don't have the money for buyouts. I am really curious what the actual numbers are and what the incentives/requirements are in the contract, for both of them.

Must be nice whipping up on the Charlotte's and FIU's of the world to make $821,704.

I honestly believe with all my heart that some of us here could do just as good a job as head coach for MT, if not better. We'd also probably do it for a lot less $$ too.

Stockstill could have a better coaching staff if he truly wanted to. He's more interested in helping his old time friends though.

Must be nice whipping up on the Charlotte's and FIU's of the world to make $821,704.

I honestly believe with all my heart that some of us here could do just as good a job as head coach for MT, if not better. We'd also probably do it for a lot less $$ too.

Stockstill could have a better coaching staff if he truly wanted to. He's more interested in helping his old time friends though.
I have this mental image of Stock and West sitting at Buster’s having a cold one and laughing at how Tommy snookered RC Johnson for 3 guaranteed years even after being shown the door and then Stock pulled off one even better with Massaro. $300,000 in exchange for three additional years.

Yep, $821,000 x 3. Massaro math.

In reading the agreement, since he only won 4 conference games last year his contract didn't get extended. If we don't win at least 5 this year then he will have only 4 years left?

Negative. It’s 5 conf wins OR overall winning record. But it also stipulates it can only be extended two times. Which I believe has now been met. I believe the contract is now locked in through 2024 with no additional extensions.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
In reading the agreement, since he only won 4 conference games last year his contract didn't get extended. If we don't win at least 5 this year then he will have only 4 years left?

Don’t worry. CM will find a way to re-do the contract and keep him even if he wins 2 conference games. It’s to the point now of a buddy system.

Also should clarify that is not the most recent contract. I can’t remember how many years it stayed it could be extended but I do believe it is currently active through 2024 at least.

Keep in mind, coach in CUSA are now making more than Stock...unless you go the USM route. So should we switch coaches are you guys pulling out your checkbooks?

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Also should clarify that is not the most recent contract. I can’t remember how many years it stayed it could be extended but I do believe it is currently active through 2024 at least.
The amendment includes the extension to 2024.

I would like for the two signatures on the left side of the contract to explain how they plan to pay this obligation in the event they are forced to make a change after this year. Specifically, if actual attendance for 5 home games is less than 50,000.

So the next time a ticket rep calls about season tickets, I will tell them to put me on their Outlook Calendar for November 26, 2024.

Keep in mind, coach in CUSA are now making more than Stock...unless you go the USM route. So should we switch coaches are you guys pulling out your checkbooks?

Have to buy out the assistant coaches as well. I’m sure Massaro didn’t put a percentage termination clause in their contracts either, so we would be forced to eat their entire pay due.

I am still nauseated that we had auto contract extensions for 7-6 or 5-3 in conference records. And it is mind blowingly stupid we are on the hook for the entire salary if we tried to fire Stock.

Massaro needs to be on lecture tour with John Currie and Jeff Compher. All 3 share the same level of competence in their job.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
ADVERTISEMENT