ADVERTISEMENT

Massaro Football Concerns

Legitimate questions. A: are the email addresses posted on the school site?
B: I may not have a dog in the fight but I’d still like to voice my concerns. I am an alumnus, do give occasionally, go to at least one game every year living 6 hours away, but am not a member of the BRAA. I may not carry much weight but I’d love to use what little I have for the purpose.

Serious question......

Does the guy (or gal) who kicked me out of the BRZ Forum a few years ago post or lurk here? I’m not asking just to say “I told you so.” I just want to know the rationale you used to kick me out. Everything I said and predicted has come to pass. Everything.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Serious question......

Does the guy (or gal) who kicked me out of the BRZ Forum a few years ago post or lurk here? I’m not asking just to say “I told you so.” I just want to know the rationale you used to kick me out. Everything I said and predicted has come to pass. Everything.
This is not a lot of help but I think the person who ran that site is named Tim or something, he used to tweet a lot about the Blue Raiders. Not sure if he still does, hope you find them!

Sounds like the definition of “I told you so”.

But I would guess the rational for getting banned from a message board is they did not wish to hear your opinion.

But that’s just a total shot in the dark.

Below is Massaro's response to me E-mail:

Thank you for your email. I am pleased that you are a committed Blue Raider fan and it is always good to hear from our former lettermen. I share your frustration that we have lost our last two games. Saturday’s first half performance was especially maddening. We did not play well and we should not get beat by a 0-9 team, especially on our home field. We will not offer excuses as that should not happen and is not to our standard. I am pleased to take this opportunity to articulate to you some of our goals, aspirations, and items that I use to help evaluate our sports programs.

It has been a tough season, no doubt about it. One of the reasons for our recent inconsistency is our rash of injuries. We currently have 28 scholarship players who cannot play. There are 85 scholarships so this represents 33% of our team. We need to overcome these hardships but they do help explain some of the inconsistencies we have seen. We have been forced to play some players before they were fully ready and at times have been exposed.

It is my belief that our football program is still on solid foundation and we are having a bad year. We played for a conference title last season and had the best record in the conference regular season allowing us to host the championship game. I believe the historical numbers below help illustrate my point that our program has been very good since especially since we entered the league in 2013. I judge our sports programs first on how they do inside the conference. Generally speaking, the schedules are the same and each schools’ resources are fairly equivalent. Non-conference schedules can have a wide variance in every sport. This makes conference vs conference records a very valued comparison. Going into this season the following were the top winning percentages of conference opponents vs conference opponents since we joined Conference USA.

MTSU 33-15 68.7%

Marshall 33-15 68.7%

La Tech 31-17 64.5%

WKU 33-20 61.7%

UAB 18-14 56.2%

USM 24-24 50.0%

N Texas 24-24 50.0%

Everyone else is below 50%

Including this season’s results thus far

Marshall 38-16 70.3%

La Tech 36-18 66.6%

MTSU 35-19 64.8%

WKU 33-20 62.2%

UAB 22-16 57.9%

USM 29-25 53.7%

FAU 28-29 51.8%

N Texas 27-27 50.0%

Just to give you a point of reference, Kermit Davis’s winning percentage vs conference opponents was 69% and Boots Donnelly’s was 65.9%.

Let me be clear. I am not happy with our current year and we want to push the conference record into the 70’s and above. You and I may differ on our solutions on how to improve the program, but we both can agree that we all want to win more. We have identified short term items in which we can do better and are a reason for our current slide. Coach Stockstill and I will certainly continue these discussions in the offseason. Beyond the health of the football team we will also look at personnel for his on field staff as well as the ones behind the scenes. We want to make sure we have the right people in place and that we have enough people in place to compete annually for conference championships.

However, I believe to move us off our current plateau the single biggest thing we need to do is to improve our football facilities. Most of the schools in our conference have dramatically improved their football facilities. The facility improvements will signal to the rest of the athletic world that we are committed to our football program and working to upgrade our national brand.

The facility improvement has been Dr. McPhee’s and my focus for many months and we have worked very hard behind the scenes to get this project moving. The University is very aligned with this goal of improving our football and basketball infrastructure from the Board of Trustees, to the President’s Office, to Campus Planning, and finally to Athletics. Our collective desire to our facilities one of the best in the Group of 5. We look forward to having Coach Stockstill and his staff have the opportunity to recruit to this better infrastructure and I am confident we will all see the results.

We are also very proud of our academic achievements, particularly from our football student athletes. Our current Graduation Success Rate was 95% ranking third best in the country and it was the number one ranked public school. We are very proud of that. Only two schools in our conference had been to 4 straight bowl, so yes, I think that is an accomplishment. I wish it were five straight and then 10 straight. Yes, we would rather play in New Year’s Day Bowls, but when that doesn’t happen we are certainly let recruits and our public know we have had success.

We have worked very hard this year on three major initiatives to help with our home attendance. With a partnership from our University Fermentation program, we developed a Craft Beer Garden in our south endzone. This has been a major hit particularly with our younger fan base. We also enhanced our family fun zone which enjoyed over flow crowds our first two games. Our re-creating of the student Blue Zoo was very successful early in the season and as our record and weather declined, we have seen a drop off in this area. I would point out that our last four home games have been played in terrible weather conditions which has hurt our crowds as well. The Marshall game was unbearably hot, particularly for October, with temperatures in the mid 90’s. Our homecoming was spoiled by a weather forecast all week of heavy rains, and it proved to be true especially beginning at half time. Last week was unseasonably cold, with it only warming slightly by Saturday. Tomorrow, we will once again deal with rain.

Despite these obstacles, we can do a better job of drawing more fans to Floyd Stadium. I am very hopeful that we can draw well early next year as our first two games are Indiana State and Virginia Tech.

Go Blue Raiders!

Chris Massaro

Notice there was no mention of attendance...

Reactions: SpaceRaider
They've been talking about facility upgrades for quite a while now. It's probably been at least a year since we saw the illustration. Not a grain of dirt has been moved. I recall hearing they want to secure all the money upfront before starting the project? I certainly don't understand that line of reasoning. Seems like people would be more willing to give if they saw actual progress....but what do I know?

I personally could not care less about people coming to the games. If they want to come then fine, if not, keep your @$$ home. Little to no money is made off our home games anyway. It's all about television deals, road $ games against Power 5 opponents, and student fee's. The obsession over home attendance is something I will never understand. It's down all across college football and ours has never been good and never will be good. It is what it is.

Yeah, Stock tends to beat bad teams - except this year. A really good coach will go undefeated in-conference. Stock has never done that.

He can't seem to beat good teams which is why he has a losing bowl record (2-6)

I would trade the 7% winning percentage advantage in C-USA for WKU’s 2 C-USA championships and 2015 season in a heart beat.

I despise Chris Massaro‘s acceptance and justification of mediocrity. He may be great guy personally, but I hate the low standards he holds coaches to. I fundamentally disagree with him regarding expectations and standards for our program. It’s obvious he no longer functions as Stock’s boss, he functions as his friend.

The fact he is our AD and there is nothing we can do about it sucks. It sucks because I love the school, but it.... doesn’t matter....it just sucks.

The Graduation Success Rate is something to be very proud of, but that is it. I would argue for the players it is most important in the long run.

If anyone here thinks Massaro or Stock is actually going to take responsiility for this sh!tshow of a program, they are dilusional. Nothing is going to change. I'm rooting for us to lose now until drastic changes are made. That's the only way. We will have to lose now for years for this staff to be eradicated and ran out. Stock will either be motivated and will get us back to winning our standard 7 games a year or we will go into a very dark period.

The Graduation Success Rate is something to be very proud of, but that is it. I would argue for the players it is most important in the long run.

I could be wrong about my next thought, just throwing this out there.

This at first thought seems good, but what do the players actually get a degree in? And is it of any value. And when they graduate are they getting good jobs that allow them to give to MT. If they were all majoring in Business concrete management or even Nursing...but how many are majoring in "General Studies" or similar.

Reactions: crposton
AD Massaro’s response is written in a classic narrative that denies severity of problems. He’s thinking this is a one year anomaly. Maybe it is? He made a few fair points; however, MT is clearly not seeing success benchmarks and milestones required and normally seen of a 14 year tenured coach or from his staff if the entire resume is analyzed. Numerous problems exist in scheduling (MT is set up to lose 2-3 games before conference season starts), recruitment (2-3 star talent not reaching their zenith or borderline FBS talent), coaching (predictable outcomes ruined by basic mistakes), conditioning and nutrition (high injury count), media (substandard radio network footprint), and facilities (outdated and falling behind others in C-USA and around the country). These are essential building blocks that have to fit together in order to earn conference championships and recognition in national rankings.

The prognosis is MT football is not well. Accountability is presently minimal. Until this general “middle of the road” philosophy changes, I see 6 wins getting harder to come by and bottom feeder losses occurring frequently. Stands will be emptier and eventually NCAA will be sanctioning us for not meeting FBS attendance numbers at some point. Athletic Revenue will certainly be impacted, making future rebuilding effort more difficult and expensive if we want to remain (competitive) in FBS.

On the other hand if migrating to FCS is an eventual goal, we’re headed on the right track. That objective could have us rejoin OVC with longtime foes of Tenn. Tech, APSU, Tenn. State, and Murray State with welcome arms in some circles. Perhaps that is a realistic answer? If so, that ends a 25 year experiment (or thereabouts) with modest, at best, success: a few wins over Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, a couple of bowl wins, two co-championships over a decade in the past, and 12 men on the field making the exclamation point.

“What might have been” is what this and other MT fans are left to wonder sometime in the 3d decade of the 21st Century.

Oh well, life goes on. I’m cuing up some Paul McCartney on the stereo!

Last edited:

it is something to be proud of. However, you don’t just keep a coach for a high APR.

And Massaro throws that out like you can have a good athletic program AND expect championships. It is a cop-out.

In the latest APR releases here, Alabama, Clemson & Ohio St have better APR than us. So we can have a high APR AND expect more.

Massaro uses Stock winning 4/5 conference games per year feasting on C-USA bottom feeders, a high APR, and squeaking out 6 wins to go lose to a G5 school in the Republic Sanitation trash bowl annually as a reason to keep Stock around.

If your screen name indicates you are the person associated with the BRAA, any chance the BRAA would function like what happened at Maryland, Florida State or other schools?

Reactions: MTTim and MTOleBlue
I could be wrong about my next thought, just throwing this out there.

This at first thought seems good, but what do the players actually get a degree in? And is it of any value. And when they graduate are they getting good jobs that allow them to give to MT. If they were all majoring in Business concrete management or even Nursing...but how many are majoring in "General Studies" or similar.
I agree for the most part. I will say that I was talking to a Manager (who manages engineers without having an engineering degree) at the Nissan plant in Smyrna the other day and he said any degree will work. Some degrees are better than others, but he can work with anyone with a degree. The piece of paper is worth something even if the major is not something like nursing or engineering. I do not necessarily agree with that, but that is how it is. Either way a degree is worth more than nothing.

it is something to be proud of. However, you don’t just keep a coach for a high APR.

And Massaro throws that out like you can have a good athletic program AND expect championships. It is a cop-out.

In the latest APR releases here, Alabama, Clemson & Ohio St have better APR than us. So we can have a high APR AND expect more.

Massaro uses Stock winning 4/5 conference games per year feasting on C-USA bottom feeders, a high APR, and squeaking out 6 wins to go lose to a G5 school in the Republic Sanitation trash bowl annually as a reason to keep Stock around.

If your screen name indicates you are the person associated with the BRAA, any chance the BRAA would function like what happened at Maryland, Florida State or other schools?
I agree with you. APR is not a reason to keep a coach around and we can be more successful on the field while keeping our academic standards high. I am just pointing out it is something to be proud of. Nothing more and nothing less.

Unreal. Sounds like things aren't that good right now, but we are alright with that until we can build new facilities that will miraculously help coach stock to start winning championships.

Meanwhile the empty stands are a disgrace. Attendance does matter. TV networks are willing to pay big money to programs for the rights to broadcast games played in front of packed stadiums with tons of people enjoying the game and the exciting environment of college football.

Unreal. Sounds like things aren't that good right now, but we are alright with that until we can build new facilities that will miraculously help coach stock to start winning championships
Yeah, just like the new facilities that helped the baseball team win championships... :rolleyes:

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
AD Massaro’s response is written in a classic narrative that denies severity of problems. He’s thinking this is a one year anomaly. Maybe it is? He made a few fair points; however, MT is clearly not seeing success benchmarks and milestones required and normally seen of a 14 year tenured coach or from his staff if the entire resume is analyzed. Numerous problems exist in scheduling (MT is set up to lose 2-3 games before conference season starts), recruitment (2-3 star talent not reaching their zenith or borderline FBS talent), coaching (predictable outcomes ruined by basic mistakes), conditioning and nutrition (high injury count), media (substandard radio network footprint), and facilities (outdated and falling behind others in C-USA and around the country). These are essential building blocks that have to fit together in order to earn conference championships and recognition in national rankings.

The prognosis is MT football is not well. Accountability is presently minimal. Until this general “middle of the road” philosophy changes, I see 6 wins getting harder to come by and bottom feeder losses occurring frequently. Stands will be emptier and eventually NCAA will be sanctioning us for not meeting FBS attendance numbers at some point. Athletic Revenue will certainly be impacted, making future rebuilding effort more difficult and expensive if we want to remain (competitive) in FBS.

On the other hand if migrating to FCS is an eventual goal, we’re headed on the right track. That objective could have us rejoin OVC with longtime foes of Tenn. Tech, APSU, Tenn. State, and Murray State with welcome arms in some circles. Perhaps that is a realistic answer? If so, that ends a 25 year experiment (or thereabouts) with modest, at best, success: a few wins over Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, a couple of bowl wins, two co-championships over a decade in the past, and 12 men on the field making the exclamation point.

“What might have been” is what this and other MT fans are left to wonder sometime in the 3d decade of the 21st Century.

Oh well, life goes on. I’m cuing up some Paul McCartney on the stereo!

What did you think he was gonna say? "You guys are right and I suck."? Massaro is not gonna change a thing because he hasn't been told that he has to yet. We aren't headed towards FCS either. If that was the case, most of the MAC teams and belt teams would have dropped by now. The program still supports itself. As long as it does that, we are staying right where we are. That's the point. We are going to stay right where we are.

What did you think he was gonna say? "You guys are right and I suck."? Massaro is not gonna change a thing because he hasn't been told that he has to yet. We aren't headed towards FCS either. If that was the case, most of the MAC teams and belt teams would have dropped by now. The program still supports itself. As long as it does that, we are staying right where we are. That's the point. We are going to stay right where we are.

Yup, and my money is going to stay right where it is. In my pocket.

The most glaring issue that I see is the lack of conference championships. OOC wins, especially in bowl games is another. Having said that, I feel like we are doing ok. We just aren't excelling to the level that I feel like our program is capable of. Just my opinion.

It is my opinion that it is becoming increasingly clear that McPhee & Massaro really don't have competitive success and energizing & building a fanbase as their top priority right now. It seems they are content that they can raise enough money for the new facilities in their larger university sphere of big money donors and corp/business donors & contributions. That is also consistent with the stage of the capital campaign that they have admitted that they have entered months ago.

Folks, I guess we have to come to terms with the fact that just about all of us here on this board just don't matter that much as small fish with little money. Their concern right now is not us peons sitting out in the rain in the stadium on game day desperately wanting a win. I imagine that generally goes same for those in open air boxes. Their concern is the big money folks up in the luxury suites who can write a $25,000 check without even thinking much about it. My guess is that their current priorities are people who can write checks for hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars.

When the public phase of the capital campaign arrives, they will all but have their needed amount met. Money from us minnows will just be window dressing at that point. Then the next priority for the next few years will be building the new facilities. After all of that is said and done, McPhee, Massaro, and probably even Coach Stock can retire with their legacy in place of a complete overhaul and expansion of Middle Tennessee athletics facilities. A legacy that would indeed be remembered and seen on campus every day with their names likely affixed to some of those new buildings for many years to come.

I imagine they are not going to want to "waste" a few million dollars on a coaching change during this capital building campaign when the current coach is at least stable and competitive in conference. Additionally he is a HC willing to be frugal for some lean years in order to get a massive rework & overhaul of MT's athletic facilities. Frugal being playing $$ games to earn $2-3 million additional dollars each year. I also suspect that means us football fans probably should get used to only possibly some asst coaching changes every so often to try to help with on the field performance for probably the next 5 years or so until facilities are constructed, in my opinion.

Folks this is clearly my read on things, of reading between the lines so to speak. I could be wrong about all of this as it is my observation and opinion of the current goings ons with MT athletics. Mainly, this is my opinion after reading between the lines of the Massaro email recently posted. If this is the case, at least the current mediocrity would serve a greater purpose for future huge success. If we get those facilities, they will be a game changer.

I like Chris and I think he is trying to juggle a lot of balls right now. Trying to raise money for new facilities is extremely difficult when you look at the product we are putting in the field. He’s paying almost a million a year for a .500 Head Coach who hasn’t won a Conf. Title in 14 seasons here.

I understand why he keeps touting those percentages but the one fact remains that he hasn’t addressed and it is evident every home game. Instead of driving 45 minutes to the Boro to watch CUSA teams I’m sitting on Clearwater Beach this morning watching highlights from yesterday’s Memphis / USF game. The Tigers are on ABC again Friday vs. Cincy for the chance at an outright AAC Championship. I’ll be in Memphis next Friday.

He does seem to like hitting the Open Air Box folks up for more money every year from what I understand.

Makes sense. He's beating the bushes to see if he can get any money to fall out. Open air box may not be the place of the elite donors, but it is a place where decent income & wealth have already demonstrated a willingness to write decent sized checks to the athletic department. It is likely a few MT fans/supporters are hanging out in the open air boxes that have the ability to write some pretty big checks.

Anyways, he's not increasing gameday revenues on general ticket sales. Gotta hit up somebody that actually comes to games to help with revenues.

My suspicion is that Massaro et al are seriously hunting down anyone they can find that has the ability and/or potential to write really large checks. If that is the case, it just might be a sign that they are working hard at something that just might end up really helping MT athletics. Generally I'm pretty pessimistic about the athletic dept raising some big funds. I do hope I am wrong about that.

....If this is the case, at least the current mediocrity would serve a greater purpose for future huge success. If we get those facilities, they will be a game changer.

I agree with your thoughts on Massaro, but I disagree that facilities will make that much change.

I have seen it first hand at my other school, changing coaches generates more excitement and energizes the base more than any facility enhancement.

what motivation does a donor with money have to give more, just to put those facilities in Stock’s 6-6 hands.

Since you mentioned excitement. I listened to the Tyson Helton show tonight -on WNSR none the less. What a great coaches show that was. The host was very engaging, asked some great questions. Helton was very entergetic, talkative, and funny. I can see another advantage the goats have over us at this juncture. I can see why kids want to come and play there, just on his personality alone. I was impressed with the show.

I don't see any excitement on our side of the ball. No fan base to get fired up, administration old and tired doing the same ole, same ole. Heck, I saw where Larry Tolbert just celebrated 50-FIFTY- years in the both announcing BR football and basketball. Fifty years, doing the same thing, getting the same results.
Says it all.

Since you mentioned excitement. I listened to the Tyson Helton show tonight -on WNSR none the less. What a great coaches show that was. The host was very engaging, asked some great questions. Helton was very entergetic, talkative, and funny. I can see another advantage the goats have over us at this juncture. I can see why kids want to come and play there, just on his personality alone. I was impressed with the show.

I don't see any excitement on our side of the ball. No fan base to get fired up, administration old and tired doing the same ole, same ole. Heck, I saw where Larry Tolbert just celebrated 50-FIFTY- years in the both announcing BR football and basketball. Fifty years, doing the same thing, getting the same results.
Says it all.

Hve made this suggestion before without comment. Offer Big Stock 2 mil to retire given that we hire Little Stock on a three year contract for much less than dad. Might not be any better, but would save a ton of money. Heard little stock is very knowledgeable. What's to lose?

I agree with your thoughts on Massaro, but I disagree that facilities will make that much change.

I have seen it first hand at my other school, changing coaches generates more excitement and energizes the base more than any facility enhancement.

what motivation does a donor with money have to give more, just to put those facilities in Stock’s 6-6 hands.

I likely just didn't explain myself well enough because I agree with what you are saying. If they do complete facilities upgrade, it could be a game changer......in the right hands.

My earlier post I was trying to describe a possible future of new facilities and McPhee, Massaro, and Stock have all retired. I guess to put it another way, a major facilities overhaul & expansion has the potential to be a game changer. Emphasis on potential.

I'll add, I'm by no means convinced all of this will get done. I'll have to see it to believe it. I'm speculating (and hoping they are right) that they have some level of confidence that they can raise the needed funds.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
Said it before, and will say it again our problems are ones of CULTURE.

Culture is developed by leadership. MT could spend a billion dollars on renovations, but if mission, vision, and execution are inherently faulty, we aren’t going anywhere. Sure, we would have a nice, new shiny facilities, but without strong rooted leadership it’s a short gain at best. What we have are tired ideas, half baked solutions, and ineffective coaching with no willingness to change, even when problems become obvious. Many fans who attend games don’t do as much anymore because of multiple lost game disappointments and demonstrated poor judgment our athletic department exhibits on basic items, such as radio coverage.

Will have to say APSU Football finally got it right! They won their first OVC Championship since Boots in 1977 (yes our very own Boots) and are going to the FCS Playoffs this weekend for the first time ever. APSU dropped scholarship football for about ten years (1997-2006) and were FCS independent. Winless seasons. Embarrassing facilities until Fortera Credit Union became a named sponsor. They have a good coach and their previous coach handed us a bad loss at Charlotte to ruin our season. This year, had we played APSU they could have given us a game,’and perhaps win if we didn’t play our best or be sufficiently prepared and motivated.

Agree MTSU Football resembles the Ben Hurt days circa 1977. Was a young child back then and don’t remember all the specific details, but do recognize our present attitude indifference and see the similarities in player health, lackluster team performance and ability to learn from our mistakes. If we continue on our course, our win total may dwindle to 2-10 or 1-11 and we will become the new bottom feeder of C-USA in the first half of the 2020s.

The late Lee Iacocca of Chrysler said it well: “Lead, Follow, or Get out of the way”. That’s our choices.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT