ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL March 24th...and crickets...

I wouldn't expect any changes unless the APR was in the toilet

Friends and fellow alumni. As this university’s leadership has continued to make unjustifiable and unsupportable decisions over and over again, it has has caused me to have serious reflection about how I spend my time and resources. I have dedicated an immense amount of both of those to try to do my small part to help this institution and it’s athletics programs have success. Over time, I have been reducing both of those but not in totality until today. Because it is something I absolutely despise and loathe, I have suffered through a culture, insidiously known as “little middle”, that is associated with and permeates every facet of this university that promotes weakness, mediocrity, and contentment vs. one that seeks strength, achievement, and expects excellence. I forced myself to tolerate this because this is “my school”, but I can no longer do that.

There are so many issues I could raise, but I don’t really have to. Every one of you see most of this as well. It’s no longer just a few who took off the blinders a long time ago and see what’s really happening. The few of us who have become the many, so I don’t feel the need to regurgitate all these issues. That’s just more time I’m not going to waste any longer. But the final straw has been placed by this “leadership” refusing to remove the worst performing coach In perhaps all of “middle TSU’s” history. In keeping my promise I made to myself and have conveyed here, today is my final day being a supporter of this culture. I will no longer dedicate a penny or a second of my time to this. With that, I want to say farewell to the board. It has been a wonderful experience chatting with so many of you and in some cases having the benefit of such a board as this one serving as the fora for having the opportunity to get to know some of you over the years. For those of you who I have conversed with, debated or bantered with in some cases, and even met along the way, please allow me to say that it was my utmost privilege, and I wish you all the best.

We can't afford to fire McDevitt. Don't have the $ to can him + pay a new coach. H

We also can't afford to keep a lame duck, clearly in-over-his-head, coach around either because our program is literally dead.

So, he stays! Who cares about fan support and trying to win championships ?

He could win 5 games again next year and still likely not get fired as he still has 3 years on his contract. And that’s probably what’s going to happen. Another single digit win year with zero changes. Our administrators and "leaders" have an unrivaled ability to over pay for garbage under-performing head coaches and give them so many years on their contracts that it's impossible to fire them regardless of how bad the product is or the state of the program. These morons have now put both our football and men’s basketball program in the exact same spots. Garbage head coaches that we can’t afford to fire because we overextended and overpaid them and it killed both programs. No big deal though I guess as long as Massaro and McPhee can still collect their welfare checks because they sure have not earned their pay.

If it weren't for their protected government bureaucracy jobs, McPhee and Massaro would have been fired long ago. A private company would never allow results like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
If it weren't for their protected government bureaucracy jobs, McPhee and Massaro would have been fired long ago. A private company would never allow results like this.
mcphee is doing the job that the state wants him to do as they have continually given him raises and extensions.

They could have fired him years ago, if desired, for the 7 wood crap, but he is what they want.

How and why ? What has McPhee actually done for MTSU to help grow the university ? And don’t feed me increased admission numbers. That has nothing to do with him.

how has he improved MTSU ? What programs and professional schools has he secured for MTSU ?

literally what does he even do besides make terrible head coaching hires and decisions ?

Friends and fellow alumni. As this university’s leadership has continued to make unjustifiable and unsupportable decisions over and over again, it has has caused me to have serious reflection about how I spend my time and resources. I have dedicated an immense amount of both of those to try to do my small part to help this institution and it’s athletics programs have success. Over time, I have been reducing both of those but not in totality until today. Because it is something I absolutely despise and loathe, I have suffered through a culture, insidiously known as “little middle”, that is associated with and permeates every facet of this university that promotes weakness, mediocrity, and contentment vs. one that seeks strength, achievement, and expects excellence. I forced myself to tolerate this because this is “my school”, but I can no longer do that.

There are so many issues I could raise, but I don’t really have to. Every one of you see most of this as well. It’s no longer just a few who took off the blinders a long time ago and see what’s really happening. The few of us who have become the many, so I don’t feel the need to regurgitate all these issues. That’s just more time I’m not going to waste any longer. But the final straw has been placed by this “leadership” refusing to remove the worst performing coach In perhaps all of “middle TSU’s” history. In keeping my promise I made to myself and have conveyed here, today is my final day being a supporter of this culture. I will no longer dedicate a penny or a second of my time to this. With that, I want to say farewell to the board. It has been a wonderful experience chatting with so many of you and in some cases having the benefit of such a board as this one serving as the fora for having the opportunity to get to know some of you over the years. For those of you who I have conversed with, debated or bantered with in some cases, and even met along the way, please allow me to say that it was my utmost privilege, and I wish you all the best.
Thank you for the support you gave and I can understand how it can came to this.

Reactions: Hop45
How and why ? What has McPhee actually done for MTSU to help grow the university ? And don’t feed me increased admission numbers. That has nothing to do with him.

how has he improved MTSU ? What programs and professional schools has he secured for MTSU ?

literally what does he even do besides make terrible head coaching hires and decisions ?

It seems the main point from the state is that UT's supremacy in Tennessee is not to be challenged by another state institution, especially in Middle or East Tennessee. MTSU was getting too big for it's britches like with Prez Walker. MTSU had to be returned to another 2nd tier Bachelors level institution back in line with TSU, APSU, ETSU & TN Tech.

I have wondered myself many times if the state liked keeping ole 7 wood around as a compromised "leader" that would be kept in line easier with modest pay raises occasionally to keep MTSU in it's place??

I would say that most people have found other things to do in their idle time through covid. Having an underperforming athletic complex just makes it easier to not care.

I used to really enjoy the optimism of being a fan of this school and encouraging other alumni to "try the product sometime". There is nothing I could sale to another human being except for the gameday pretzels.

Reactions: Predarat
How and why? What has McPhee actually done for MTSU to help grow the university? And don’t feed me increased admission numbers. That has nothing to do with him.

how has he improved MTSU? What programs and professional schools has he secured for MTSU? literally what does he even do besides make terrible head coaching hires and decisions?
MT and tsu became "sister" schools in the 1980's allowing students of both schools to take classes at either school. And since that time, tsu has enhanced it's graduate offerings whereas MT has only enhanced undergraduate offerings...

I believe the end goal of the state is to have Murfreesboro as the undergraduate campus of tsu and Nashville as the graduate campus. The name MTSU will no longer exist.

• Wow
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
MT and tsu became "sister" schools in the 1980's allowing students of both schools to take classes at either school. And since that time, tsu has enhanced it's graduate offerings whereas MT has only enhanced undergraduate offerings...

I believe the end goal of the state is to have Murfreesboro as the undergraduate campus of tsu and Nashville as the graduate campus. The name MTSU will no longer exist.
If this is real then why allow to create and install new Boards of Trustees for MTSU and Memphis separate from the BOR Schools? I don’t follow the logic.

Reactions: mtfblue

TSU alumni will never go for that...Mcphee is just not capable of running the university and doesn't have a the pull to get more graduate programs.

If this is real then why allow to create and install new Boards of Trustees for MTSU...
Has the Board done anything to benefit MT? I believe the BOT is there simply to rubber stamp the wishes of the state - MT has the illusion of independence.

It's
Has the Board done anything to benefit MT? I believe the BOT is there simply to rubber stamp the wishes of the state - MT has the illusion of independence.
Bingo

We can't afford to fire McDevitt. Don't have the $ to can him + pay a new coach. H

We also can't afford to keep a lame duck, clearly in-over-his-head, coach around either because our program is literally dead.

He could win 5 games again next year and still likely not get fired as he still has 3 years on his contract. And that’s probably what’s going to happen. Another single digit win year with zero changes. Our administrators and "leaders" have an unrivaled ability to over pay for garbage under-performing head coaches and give them so many years on their contracts that it's impossible to fire them regardless of how bad the product is or the state of the program. These morons have now put both our football and men’s basketball program in the exact same spots. Garbage head coaches that we can’t afford to fire because we overextended and overpaid them and it killed both programs. No big deal though I guess as long as Massaro and McPhee can still collect their welfare checks because they sure have not earned their pay.

Let’s not put Stockstill and McDevitt on the same level. Stock is at least around .500. There is mediocre and then there is garbage. Stock’s record is mediocre. McDevitt’s is garbage.

Also it has less to do with the fact they are “government bureaucracy jobs” and more to do with the fact that anyone that matters does not care about MT athletics or academics really. UT is all that matters to the people that matter in TN.

Chris Massaro and Sidney McPhee are cancers on MT. They are slowly letting athletics die while they leech top 1% salaries as they coast to retirement. No one should be in the jobs as long as they have with this little success. If they had any integrity or self-respect, they would retire. They are nothing but parasites.

I compute 2 years on his contract- this year and next -where did you come up with 3- he got 5 years to start and 3 have gone by and he did not get an extension

If one were to visit MT Past Presidential Tenures, of all to hold this position, only one was in the Presidential Office more than ten years... Mr. Olympic Swimmer is well past that time frame... While I believe UTK, Tiger High, & TSU were the major hurdle preventing the Valparaiso Law School coming to our campus, I fault our illustrations president for the rejection... With his tenure, which seems like a lifetime & being so long, he should have done his homework before the meeting where the vote occurred and secured "Yes Votes"... I have it, from an excellent source, he will punch below the belt to get an objective he needs done... Why not in this instance also...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT