ADVERTISEMENT

Makes you wonder...A State

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
So Arkansas State just hired Butch Jones. Who knows if it will work, but something in the article struck me. Anderson was the 4th coach to resign for another school. 3 of those were hired by their current AD. And they haven't missed a beat.

Our school acts like it is the end of the world if we lose a coach. I just don't understand that mentality. I'd rather keep winning and lose a coach every few years than be stuck where we are. Is it a risk, yes. But worth it to me.

Just a thought.

Were any of those a former P5 who failed bigly in his last coach gig?
Jones's tenure at UTK took off like a rocket before ultimately crashing in burning during his final season. And yet, Jones still managed to finish his career on Rocky Top with a higher win percentage than Rick Stockstill.

Not saying Jones to A-State is a slam dunk hire, but Jones has won 10% more games than Stockstill over his career as HC

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Jones's tenure at UTK took off like a rocket before ultimately crashing in burning during his final season. And yet, Jones still managed to finish his career on Rocky Top with a higher win percentage than Rick Stockstill.

Not saying Jones to A-State is a slam dunk hire, but Jones has won 10% more games than Stockstill over his career as HC

All that true, and I guess for Jones, it looks to be the best spot to try to restart his college coaching career, but it would seem to me to be an unappealing choice as a fan. They've had up and comers before as opposed to this retread.

And, for good measure, both A-State's indoor practice facility AND end zone operations facility were completed AFTER their recent run of success under Freeze, Malzahn, Harsin, and Anderson.

Say what you want about A-State's decision to hire a retread in Jones, they've earned a right to make that call after figuring out what makes their program successful : offensive minded coaches who can get out in front and SELL the program.

All that true, and I guess for Jones, it looks to be the best spot to try to restart his college coaching career, but it would seem to me to be an unappealing choice as a fan. They've had up and comers before as opposed to this retread.
Quite frankly, I'm shocked Jones is restarting his HC career in SEC country. Figured he'd after to go up north (MAC) where his cliches aren't running jokes among all SEC fans.

And, for good measure, both A-State's indoor practice facility AND end zone operations facility were completed AFTER their recent run of success under Freeze, Malzahn, Harsin, and Anderson.

Say what you want about A-State's decision to hire a retread in Jones, they've earned a right to make that call after figuring out what makes their program successful : offensive minded coaches who can get out in front and SELL the program.

That's the key to me. They were willing to take risks and it paid off. Even if Jones doesn't work, it is a risk to hire a retread so to speak, they still took the risk.

We won't take ANY risk at all. Not even hiring a hot shot assistant from an FCS school because they may leave soon after. Let's just keep our old retreads around instead because we know they won't go anywhere else.

I'd bet if Jones doesn't work out, they won't keep him around just to maintain familiarity like we do. I could be wrong on that but I feel like they wouldn't accept constant 6-6 like our AD does.

Jones did to very well at Cincy and Directional Michigan. Though kind of odd Anderson went to Utah State when it seems he could have done better.

Jones did to very well at Cincy and Directional Michigan. Though kind of odd Anderson went to Utah State when it seems he could have done better.

It sort of surprised me, not that he left, but logan is not unattractive, and perhaps a huge distance is the change needed after losing his wife.

Great hire by Ark. State. Dude has put all three programs he's led in the top 25. While his UT experience may not have produced as well (nor has anyone else for that matter), he had four conference titles in six seasons at his other two schools.

Rick Stockstill doesn't even know how to spell conference title.

Speaking of new hires, I wonder who Vandy will go with.

If I was their AD, I would target an academy HC or maybe Brian Bohannon from Kennesaw St.

And for Ark St, it’s nice to see a hire of a proven HC compared to our moves. When Stock retires in 8 years, we will just hire Brent or some position coach at USCe.

Great hire by Ark. State. Dude has put all three programs he's led in the top 25. While his UT experience may not have produced as well (nor has anyone else for that matter), he had four conference titles in six seasons at his other two schools.

Rick Stockstill doesn't even know how to spell conference title.

😂😂. That one will leave mark!
EAT

Vandy is hiring Clark Lea. He is Notre Dame’s DC and a former Dore.

So they fire an “elite” DC in Mason to hire an “elite” DC in Lea. At least Lea knows what he is getting into.

This is a great hire by ASU.

Jones can do two things well - he can recruit lights out (say what you will about those cliches, momma's tend to eat them up), and he has an RPO offensive system that produced every where he went.

That's a recipe for success at the G5 level.

His downfall at UT seemed to be more related to allowing the UT athletes to run amok (who the heck ever heard of player-led strength and conditioning) than anything. You get a different type of athlete at the G5 level.

Meanwhile, our staff seems to recruit by who will sign with the least amount of actual recruiting effort.

Reactions: MTTim
Vandy is hiring Clark Lea. He is Notre Dame’s DC and a former Dore.

So they fire an “elite” DC in Mason to hire an “elite” DC in Lea. At least Lea knows what he is getting into.

Maybe the female kicker can take over since she walks on water after making a meaningless extra point. Then she can receive the Nobel Prize.

The young lady is the first female $EC FB player and scorer, I'll give her that, but all this noise about being the first "Power 5" to do do; just how long has the "Power 5" been a thing? And I saw when a FG kicker was called on it wasn't her, couldn't he have kicked off and kicked EPs? Just a huge publicity stunt.

But it's sure the media can make a big deal about a small event. I've often said that a VU athlete can help a little old lady across the street and it's front page news; let an ex-MT athlete find a cure for cancer it will be on page B16 and the fact that he was an MT athlete will not be mentioned. It is what it is.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT