ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Majon Wright no longer transferring/playing for MT

maybe he was lied to or just didn't like the boro once he got here. Remember there were no visits.

Dumb question but are transfers up from previous years?

This is making me care even less......

Lol...these kids.

My thoughts exactly. Coaches are not gonna be able to look at a kid the wrong way with these new transfer rules.

Coaches used to "derecruit" a kid once he signed and they had been filling his head with hot air for 24+ months. It was a sobering period where a kid had to come to face reality. I suspect that will no longer be a thing going forward. Now you will have to continue to recruit the kids on your own roster.

Absolutely despise the direction college athletics is taking.

My thoughts exactly. Coaches are not gonna be able to look at a kid the wrong way with these new transfer rules.

Coaches used to "derecruit" a kid once he signed and they had been filling his head with hot air for 24+ months. It was a sobering period where a kid had to come to face reality. I suspect that will no longer be a thing going forward. Now you will have to continue to recruit the kids on your own roster.

Yep.

When these kids get out in the real world, it's going to be like a well placed kick to the nuts when they just can't up and quit if one thing doesn't go their way.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
It is what it is. And good teams - and good coaches - will use the new transfer rules to get better, while bad coaches will blame the rule on their failures...

For too long, the rules have favored the coaches. Coaches can "transfer" w/o penalty while players who transfer are penalized. Coaches (specifically HC and coordinators) often are on "multi-year" contracts. Players are on a "year to year" contract for scholarship. Their scholarship can get pulled (theoretically) and they lose a year of eligibility. Coaches get a buyout if their contract gets "pulled." Coaches can lie, cheat, and steal to get a player on campus, while a player who lies, cheats, and steals is penalized.

It is what it is. And good teams - and good coaches - will use the new transfer rules to get better, while bad coaches will blame the rule on their failures...

I was just about to post the same thing.

Innovative, forward thinking, smart staffs are going to be able to use these rules to their advantage. Unfortunately, we're screwed in that regard.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Well, we should be loaded at receiver, so not a huge loss. Kid may have seen the depth chart and realized he wasn't going to be "the man" automatically.

It's the ME generation. They want to start day 1, they want the ball on every play and if not - they are unhappy and will look to leave. I've been involved with youth sports and could see this coming a mile away. Kids are only focused on their own personal achievements, but by the time they figure out the drawbacks of that approach it's too late. You can't bounce from team to team and expect to get any momentum going. Sometimes you have to learn from a setback.

I saw this with several players I have worked with or with competing teams.

Now you will have to continue to recruit the kids on your own roster.

In my opinion that's the way it should be. The kids are the talent and the compensation is the same here as anywhere else so why should someone stick around if the coaches are verbally abusive, don't prioritize their development or has lost a belief in their ability to play their recruited position.

My experience at lower levels is you don't have to be an A-hole to get the most out of kids, matter of fact I found it was the opposite if you communicate clearly and proactively the player knows what they are doing wrong and can correct it. Far too many times college coaches just ignore players that they've lost faith in which results in isolation for the player and confusion as to their current status and why they are being ostracized.

College coaches are the ones that need the attitude adjustment, far too long they have had complete control of student-athlete lives and have been able to act with impunity which has led to poor leadership skills for the coaches.

I think it's going in the right direction, albeit a little too slow for me. College Athletics are a racket and generally it's not fun for the athletes as it dominates their entire college experience. The control and power shouldn't be with the institution but with the labor.

The way I see it is if the coaches can come and go pretty much as they please then the players should be able to. On the flip side if a player says they will play for a school and the scholarship is for one year they should honor that and then be able to move on if they want or if the player doesn't perform up to the desired level the coach can choose not to renew their scholarship. If a coach leaves early they either have to pay the buy-out written in their contract or their new school does. In the real world if I were to be hired and not perform I can be let go, or if I decide that is not the right place for me I can leave. The fact is no one is making anyone play football in college either. None of these players have to play, but they feel for whatever reason that playing is the best way to get them where they want to be. Getting free college to play a game with the chance of accomplishing whatever goals they may have is not a bad deal.

Reactions: Hop45
The way I see it is if the coaches can come and go pretty much as they please then the players should be able to. On the flip side if a player says they will play for a school and the scholarship is for one year they should honor that and then be able to move on if they want or if the player doesn't perform up to the desired level the coach can choose not to renew their scholarship.

Most players only have 1 year scholarships which get renewed annually so every coach has that right in general. I think the player needs to be notified by June or July if their scholarship isn't being renewed.

If a coach leaves early they either have to pay the buy-out written in their contract or their new school does.

Sounds like indentured servitude to me. When a player says they want to enter the transfer portal the team cuts the player from all team activities and terminates the scholarship for the following semesters so technically it's the team/coaches that make the determination for the player to stop playing in most cases.

In the real world if I were to be hired and not perform I can be let go, or if I decide that is not the right place for me I can leave. The fact is no one is making anyone play football in college either.

I think it's safe to say that college football is a different beast, kids play football in high school and it's fun and when you get the college it isn't always fun. Some of it relates to being in the top 1% of football players playing the other 1% and most times older (meaning a lack of immediate success compared to HS). Other parts are probably being treated like capital or a resource, contrary to all the warm and fuzzy ESPN interviews not all coaches treat players with respect. The last part is the time commitment, it's not 7 hours of football every week in season and playing both ways on Friday it's probably 20-40 hours every week depending on the time of the year and maybe playing 60% of the snaps in the last 1-2 years of your career.

I'm sure if you felt like your job didn't appreciate you would probably leave in 12 months or less...most of these players probably feel that way for 2-3 years and some stick it out and other don't.

None of these players have to play, but they feel for whatever reason that playing is the best way to get them where they want to be. Getting free college to play a game with the chance of accomplishing whatever goals they may have is not a bad deal.

Some players play because it's the only way (they know) to pay for college or they have dreams of making it big. When you get down to it they probably get paid ~$20 an hour for intense labor but the difference is they don't have any control. Your vacations are dictated to you, what time you wake up, when you eat, your weekends, etc. There are reasons why you see news reports of football players doing stupid things like robbing people and it's because the full ride doesn't exactly pay for everything which is where these young men get into trouble, there is a documentary called the "The Price of College Sports" where former student athletes talk about the financial struggles on scholarship.

Ultimately the problem is recruiting is one phase (probably best compared to the honeymoon) and then student-athlete get on campus and there is a 180 degree change in the coaches behavior because at that point they don't care because coaches are focused on the top two in the depth chart and most new recruits are relegated to scout team and they aren't becoming better football players (outside of individual drills) they are basically human dummies for the other side of the ball. God forbid if a player gets in the dog house because there's probably no way to get out and the coach is going to dog you out until you enter the portal or drop out of football.

Sounds like indentured servitude to me. When a player says they want to enter the transfer portal the team cuts the player from all team activities and terminates the scholarship for the following semesters so technically it's the team/coaches that make the determination for the player to stop playing in most cases.
Agreed. Although, it's important to note that entering the transfer portal does not automatically terminate the scholarship. To be sure, it does happen. And probably happens most of the time, but it's not a necessity.

"Other parts are probably being treated like capital or a resource, contrary to all the warm and fuzzy ESPN interviews not all coaches treat players with respect."

Welcome to the real world. I'm not saying treat people like garbage but life is life.

As long as ADs, coaches, bowl admins, commissioners, and networks make millions off of these kids, I say let them do what they want. This isn't college sports anymore. Let's call it like it is...a pre-professional league.

Reactions: FootballKuato
I don't have a lot of time to write everything I want to say so I'll make it short.

College athletics is supposed to be amateur, not professional. There are hundreds of professional leagues for professional sports all across the country and world that are available to consume and watch. If I wanted to watch overpaid athletes in a free agent market play basketball or football I would watch the NBA and NFL, respectively.

College athletics is a tradition rich culture unique to America and what makes it so great, or at least used to, is the purity it had away from the professional sports scene. Young men representing their universities to the best of their ability and getting a damn good education to go along with it. Transfers used to be much more rare and there was some actual pride amongst these kids and the schools they played for.

I feel like far too often the fact that these kids get a free education is overlooked. Many are also allowed to complete graduate degrees for free too. A bachelors + masters degree in many cases will increase someone's earning power into the 7 figures or more over the span of a life time. Seems like a pretty good trade off for 4 years of playing to me. And what's even better, if the kids don't like the deal then they can go do something else.....

Coaches are professionals who have paid their dues. They are established, older adults with nearly all of them being former players who had to climb that same ladder themselves. There is a ladder and a hierarchy in society for a reason. That's reality.

I don't have a lot of time to write everything I want to say so I'll make it short.

College athletics is supposed to be amateur, not professional. There are hundreds of professional leagues for professional sports all across the country and world that are available to consume and watch. If I wanted to watch overpaid athletes in a free agent market play basketball or football I would watch the NBA and NFL, respectively.

College athletics is a tradition rich culture unique to America and what makes it so great, or at least used to, is the purity it had away from the professional sports scene. Young men representing their universities to the best of their ability and getting a damn good education to go along with it. Transfers used to be much more rare and there was some actual pride amongst these kids and the schools they played for.

I feel like far too often the fact that these kids get a free education is overlooked. Many are also allowed to complete graduate degrees for free too. A bachelors + masters degree in many cases will increase someone's earning power into the 7 figures or more over the span of a life time. Seems like a pretty good trade off for 4 years of playing to me. And what's even better, if the kids don't like the deal then they can go do something else.....

Coaches are professionals who have paid their dues. They are established, older adults with nearly all of them being former players who had to climb that same ladder themselves. There is a ladder and a hierarchy in society for a reason. That's reality.
Fantastic post

Most players only have 1 year scholarships which get renewed annually so every coach has that right in general. I think the player needs to be notified by June or July if their scholarship isn't being renewed.

I think it's safe to say that college football is a different beast, kids play football in high school and it's fun and when you get the college it isn't always fun. Some of it relates to being in the top 1% of football players playing the other 1% and most times older (meaning a lack of immediate success compared to HS). Other parts are probably being treated like capital or a resource, contrary to all the warm and fuzzy ESPN interviews not all coaches treat players with respect. The last part is the time commitment, it's not 7 hours of football every week in season and playing both ways on Friday it's probably 20-40 hours every week depending on the time of the year and maybe playing 60% of the snaps in the last 1-2 years of your career.

I'm sure if you felt like your job didn't appreciate you would probably leave in 12 months or less...most of these players probably feel that way for 2-3 years and some stick it out and other don't.

Some players play because it's the only way (they know) to pay for college or they have dreams of making it big. When you get down to it they probably get paid ~$20 an hour for intense labor but the difference is they don't have any control. Your vacations are dictated to you, what time you wake up, when you eat, your weekends, etc. There are reasons why you see news reports of football players doing stupid things like robbing people and it's because the full ride doesn't exactly pay for everything which is where these young men get into trouble, there is a documentary called the "The Price of College Sports" where former student athletes talk about the financial struggles on scholarship.

Ultimately the problem is recruiting is one phase (probably best compared to the honeymoon) and then student-athlete get on campus and there is a 180 degree change in the coaches behavior because at that point they don't care because coaches are focused on the top two in the depth chart and most new recruits are relegated to scout team and they aren't becoming better football players (outside of individual drills) they are basically human dummies for the other side of the ball. God forbid if a player gets in the dog house because there's probably no way to get out and the coach is going to dog you out until you enter the portal or drop out of football.
I got my college paid for by joining the military. I think I know a little bit about someone else controlling my life. 6 years in the military for free college was an excellent trade off and the best decision of my life.

I got my college paid for by joining the military. I think I know a little bit about someone else controlling my life. 6 years in the military for free college was an excellent trade off and the best decision of my life.

Don't disagree, I was in the Navy. The benefit of the military is that you some good training and work experience. Most of the FBS football players forgo doing things like internships so they get the degree but without the work experience it comes down to hookups (if they got them) or getting lucky with an interview. I know the military worked for me, 👍.

BTW, I know the military was WAAAAY less then $20 an hour for me but with inflation you can't really compare it.

College athletics is supposed to be amateur, not professional....If I wanted to watch overpaid athletes in a free agent market play basketball or football I would watch the NBA and NFL, respectively.

The NCAA classifies them as amateurs because they want to keep the money for themselves (this is being heard by the Supreme Court now) and take advantage of the free labor. What I get out of this statement is you prefer to watch athletes who's only compensation is ~$40k a year for the same injuries they will incur as a multi million dollar athlete. Additionally if an athlete gets paralyzed the NCAA drops them like a hot potato, if they got a leg break like Alex Smith you end up with 1 leg and disabled for the rest of your life and...the NCAA still drops you. Those athletes don't get lifetime medical they get shown the door.

Watch it, honestly a great documentary:

Schooled: The Price of College Sports

Trailer: Schooled: The Price of College Sports

College athletics is a tradition rich culture unique to America and what makes it so great, or at least used to, is the purity it had away from the professional sports scene.

The tradition is really just to raise money, sell products, TV contracts, alumni donations, etc. The reason UAB brought football back wasn't because they had a sudden change of heart, it's because Alumni donate at lower levels to schools without a football program.

I feel like far too often the fact that these kids get a free education is overlooked. ... A bachelors + masters degree in many cases will increase someone's earning power into the 7 figures or more over the span of a life time. Seems like a pretty good trade off for 4 years of playing to me.

It's only a good deal if you can find a job, the facts are FBS athlete's probably get 6 weeks off (at most) between Fall and Spring semesters and ~3 weeks of between Spring and Summer. If you can't get work experience chances are you're not going to find a job even if you have a PhD and likely you'll just be an overeducated car valet.

Nothing wrong with coaches being paid money, I think you'd find the lower level position coaches make very little overall and obviously winning games like Nick Saban results in a lot of money for the conference and the university.

NCAA were selling the rights to the athlete's image to EA Sports for NCAA Football (or Basketball) and gave the kids nothing for their own image. Todd Gurley couldn't even sell his own signature, which probably resulted in a shorting of own career because he blew out his ACL after a long hiatus.

I get it, we're America and we are the kings of exploiting labor but it doesn't make it right. When you get a moment watch the documentary above maybe it will show you the light of the abuses of the NCAA. That's reality.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Agreed. Although, it's important to note that entering the transfer portal does not automatically terminate the scholarship. To be sure, it does happen. And probably happens most of the time, but it's not a necessity.

Correct, cancellation is usually the FBS playbook. Once an athlete requests to enter their name into the transfer portal the school has the right/ability to cancel the athlete scholarship for the next semester. MTSU had a similar situation with Yusuf Ali where Yusuf went into the transfer portal and then took his name off of it. That was obviously a conversation with the coaching staff but had he not had the conversation they would have terminated the scholarship for Spring.

The NCAA classifies them as amateurs because they want to keep the money for themselves (this is being heard by the Supreme Court now) and take advantage of the free labor. What I get out of this statement is you prefer to watch athletes who's only compensation is ~$40k a year for the same injuries they will incur as a multi million dollar athlete.

Less than 1% of college athletes go on to become multi-millionaire professionals playing sports as a career. This is a terrible argument to bend rules and change the structure because the top 1% might not get their $$$ the day they step foot on campus. Also, the vast majority of players from our very own MT football team that I knew when I was in college and still keep up with on Facebook have gone on to have successful careers and if I had to guess make well above the median average wage in this country. Well above it...

The facts are the vast majority of college athletes benefit from the education and experience from playing college athletics and attending university to get their degrees. I have no interest in changing the laws because the top 1% are upset they can't become millionaires the day they enroll in college sports. I'm more concerned about the remaining 99% who appreciate, value, and gain immeasurable experience from their athletic and student lives while in university. The other 1% that have to delay their millions for a few years can quite frankly suck it and or take another route.

Lastly, nobody is forcing these kids to play college basketball or college football. NBA now has the G league route where kids don't have to attend college and instead can go get paid and be professional athletes immediately. The NFL should do something similar in my opinion, but that's a private company so they can have whatever laws and rules they wish.

Don't disagree, I was in the Navy. The benefit of the military is that you some good training and work experience. Most of the FBS football players forgo doing things like internships so they get the degree but without the work experience it comes down to hookups (if they got them) or getting lucky with an interview. I know the military worked for me, 👍.

BTW, I know the military was WAAAAY less then $20 an hour for me but with inflation you can't really compare it.
I was also in the Navy and we didn't even want to think about our hourly pay. I worked on ballistic missiles which did provide me some good training, but wasn't really transferrable to the civilian world except being a government contractor. I just think with the increased amount of money the NCAA makes off of the CFP and March Madness it is coming more to the forefront, but it also does get lost that many of these athletes are getting something they wouldn't get otherwise. A free education is not nothing. They do also get some necessities like food and I know my wife's cousin got a stipend for clothing as well. It is not perfect and there needs to be some changes, but I also see some good reasoning for not making too drastic of changes.

So he's staying now? I can't keep up with this portal stuff. There should be a limit of some sorts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT