ADVERTISEMENT

MAC Pod Option

Yes or No

• Total voters

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
I’m curious if y’all would prefer this option over CUSA? WKU, MTSU, Jacksonville St and Kennesaw St (or Liberty) would add a nice tighter southern footprint. The MAC could do pods to help with travel. Thoughts?

South:
MTSU
WKU
JSU
KSU or Liberty

East:
Buffalo
Ohio
Kent St
Akron

Central:
Bowling Green
Miami
Toledo
EMU

West:
NIU
WMU
CMU
Ball St

In a vacuum it doesn't seem all that bad....but the real question is what other options (if any) would be out there?

I really believe a southern footprint is important. I also believe regional rivalries are important. This proposal addresses those issues somewhat with a few other southern schools coming along but there's still a lot of sports being played above the mason-dixon line.

Most all G5 schools are pretty similar to one another. You can group them up however you like but we all mostly recruit the same players, draw from the same pool of coaches, etc. I want a stable conference with regional rivalries that is both strong in basketball and football.

Beyond that, we really need to worry about ourselves. Better facilities, coaches, players, athletic organizations, etc. Just win (and do it in style) and most everything will take care of itself.

Regional is where it is at for G5. That's what makes the MWC good (minus Hawaii), MAC, and 100000% the SBC, which to me, is where we should be. I pushed for MAC when it was an option over what we have now, but if I could pick anywhere, SBC for us and WKU.

If it was final that wasn't an option, I'd pick AAC. Then, MAC pods as you've laid out. And I'd pick that over what the "new" CUSA is as I really am not excited about that at all.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
The only good idea for the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt is to get together and move teams around to make each conference as regional as possible.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Memphis will never agree to us being in the same conference. However, if we could have UAB, WKU, Memphis, Troy, ASU and Ga st. in the same conference, that would be killer for the region.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
In a dream, here is what I would wish for.

SBC

NORTH:
WKU
MT
Marshall
JMU

EAST:
ODU
CCU
App
GA State

SOUTH:
GA Southern
Troy
S Alabama
S Miss

WEST:
ULM
Louisiana
AK State
TX State

Each team plays 7 scheduled conference games. 3 in their pod, 1 from each of the other pods, and 1 permanent cross rival (I'd prefer S Miss or Troy for us. App for Marshall etc.)

Then a final 8th conference game is scheduled as last game of season based on who is at the top of each Pod. North plays South, East plays West and the rest is scheduled based on record. The winners of the N/S and E/W games go to Conf. Champ Game. Essentially creates a regular season playoff game. No other conference does that.

Embraces the regional rivalries and creates excitement. Something new but to me, not totally out in left field.

Hey, one can dream right?

The only good idea for the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt is to get together and move teams around to make each conference as regional as possible.
Yeah, there isn't a scrap of difference between any of the non-power conferences, but the creation of regional conferences makes way too much sense for the idiots in control.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
You will have the below once that guarantee money starting running out.

Atlantic based conference: App, JMU, ODU, Marshall, ECU, Coastal, UNCC, Liberty, Temple, NAVY, UMASS, UCONN, maybe (Army) with this line up.

Southern Based: Memphis, MT, WKU, Jax ST, GA St, GA Southern, Troy, UAB, USA, FAU, FIU, USF, USM, Ark St

SW: Tulane, ULL, Rice, SHSU, LA Tech, UNT, UTSA, UTEP, TX. St, New Mexico St, Tulsa, ULM

You will have the below once that guarantee money starting running out.

Atlantic based conference: App, JMU, ODU, Marshall, ECU, Coastal, UNCC, Liberty, Temple, NAVY, UMASS, UCONN, maybe (Army) with this line up.

Southern Based: Memphis, MT, WKU, Jax ST, GA St, GA Southern, Troy, UAB, USA, FAU, FIU, USF, USM, Ark St

SW: Tulane, ULL, Rice, SHSU, LA Tech, UNT, UTSA, UTEP, TX. St, New Mexico St, Tulsa, ULM

Bingo. No way the new playoff deal will send as much money to the G5, especially with the highest two schools in B12 now. It will take another Cincy for $ to flow down.

It'll be just conference TV deals and that is it. AAC is locked in at around average $6m till 2031.
SBC is $500k till 2031, but as the Marshall pres said "I'm looking forward to not watching games on Facebook".
MWC is $4m through 2026
MAC is $600k through 2023
CUSA $400k through 2023

I wouldn't be surprised if the next CUSA deal is around $300k per school, maybe even $250k.

By 2030 the P5 will be P4 (or even P3) or will be P2 with the leftovers joining some G5. Our hope is as CM said to be in the 2nd tier group. By the the current G5 will have no choice but to do their own thing.

Bingo. No way the new playoff deal will send as much money to the G5, especially with the highest two schools in B12 now. It will take another Cincy for $ to flow down.

It'll be just conference TV deals and that is it. AAC is locked in at around average $6m till 2031.
SBC is $500k till 2031, but as the Marshall pres said "I'm looking forward to not watching games on Facebook".
MWC is $4m through 2026
MAC is $600k through 2023
CUSA $400k through 2023

I wouldn't be surprised if the next CUSA deal is around $300k per school, maybe even $250k.

By 2030 the P5 will be P4 (or even P3) or will be P2 with the leftovers joining some G5. Our hope is as CM said to be in the 2nd tier group. By the the current G5 will have no choice but to do their own thing.
looks like the NCAA tourney will expand and that just means more SEC, BIG10 teams in the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT