ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL "Leadership" driving away so many people

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
Seems that in addition to running off fans & alumni, "leadership" seems to be running off players.

Years ago, I never imagined that I would find myself this disconnected from MT athletics or even the university as a whole. My level of investment is almost nonexistent. I refer to investment in the broader sense including time, expectations, energy, interest, and caring.

My present level of investment or interest is about limited to seeing if the current "leadership" is ever replaced, fired, retired, etc, etc. If and when that does happen, I might be interested or even hopeful to see if MT can return to relevancy. I guess I sort hope that after the current "leadership" eventually leaves, I might find it worthwhile to cheer for and support MT again.

Additionally, I do keep coming around here for you folks of Middle Tennessee that I have been communicating with here in these forums for close to 20 years. A few of you I have even known longer. I guess one could say that this is my social media particularly since I can't stomach the vileness and overall disgusting nature of the major social media platforms.

It’s truly depressing. Thinking of all the time, money, and even more that has been invested (things I’ve invested here in spite of being a UT alum) and to watch people literally just burn it to the ground and destroy so much of what we’ve all contributed over the years is so disheartening. I believed in the potential here.

Today I view this institution and our athletics on the same par as schools like ULM, Idaho, and NMSU. We’ve literally become one of the worst athletic programs in the nation.

There's a massive disconnect between MT's leadership and the larger MT community. Sure, part of it has to do with Stockstill and the state of the football program, but the MT community seems to have more ambition than MT's leadership...and that's a problem.

With a president who has been place for nearly 20 years, an AD who has been in place for 15 years, and a HC who has been in place for 15 years, complacency seems to have set in. Or maybe they've come to grips with the reality the TBOR and now THEC hinder MT's long-term growth and the community doesn't realize this.

But something needs to be said. Or done.

Maybe one of our star reporters covering MT will try to get answers from leadership, the coach, players or the BOT. I would like to know on record what the BOT thinks of the current situation. What are 7 woods thoughts? Does he really believe the AD is doing his job? So many questions that should be answered but no one to adk.

UTEP's HC just cleaned house and he's only been there for like 2 years. Why does every program out there make changes to improve but us?
It's obvious that 7 wood only cares about the APR... winning is irrelevant.

Maybe one of our star reporters covering MT will try to get answers from leadership, the coach, players or the BOT. I would like to know on record what the BOT thinks of the current situation. What are 7 woods thoughts? Does he really believe the AD is doing his job? So many questions that should be answered but no one to adk.
The question has been asked and answered before (although it’s always good to ask again I reckon)

Just once I'd like for this administration to say we suck. To not try some positive spin. Ut to plain out say "we aren't good. It is unacceptable and we are going to fix it.". I really don't think CM knows how to do that

No. Just Middle.

But I’ve now removed almost all investment in MT. Won’t be coming back until changes are made. Although I suspect it will be too late when that happens. It may already be.
Did I read that you graduated at UT? If so why do you not support them?

The question has been asked and answered before (although it’s always good to ask again I reckon)
I'm not going back to find out when any questions were asked but I would guess it's been a while. What i am getting at is there should be constant pressure on every person involved with this mess, questions asked of everyone and have them on record what they plan to do. I have followed MT since 2005 and there has never been any effort by the media to hold these people accountable. Given our current state now is the time to hold their feet to the fire.

Reactions: dukewayne
Did I read that you graduated at UT? If so why do you not support them?

My undergrad is from UT. Masters at MT. I support them just not financially. They don’t need my help. They have enough people who have never even set foot on campus to make up for it not to mention hundreds of six and seven figure donors. I thought I could help MT build a program. Obviously, I was delusional.

I think the most frustrating thing to me is the vision that Dr. Walker had when I was a student is being flushed down the drain. I was on campus when they were building the stadium and Lee Fowler's administration did a great job building support and trust with the base.

Things were definitely not rosy as basketball took years to get out of the funk it was in since Bruce Stewart. Andy's efforts early on were appreciated but he exited miserably.

Rick Stockstill's "best" days are behind him. There is nothing to get excited about for the fans. Nothing about the men's basketball team makes me want to tune in.

From top to bottom, it is a trainwreck.

The problem we have is a lack of leadership.

We have managers. McPhee is an old TBR bureaucrat that wouldn’t be here if #metoo existed 15 years ago.

Massaro lacks drive, enthusiasm or passion to move this program forward.

I believe Stock wants to win, but he doesn’t know how given the hand his is dealt. Instead of adapting or moving on looking for a more competitive situation, he settled and is complacent.

As someone mentioned above, the questions were asked before and our current managers spin the responses. Remember Massaro spinning is not being happy after last season into saying Stock is the right man for the job and no changes need to be made? Remember Massaro talking about Stock’s overall conference record and his ignoring lack of championships? Remember Massaro saying we had to give Stock such a high buyout because of how successful he was and then him pointing to that conference record?

We need to stop asking these managers what they think. We need someone to ask them: “Many fans think you (McPhee, Massaro & Stockstill) are not doing a good job. They feel the university would be better off if you left. Sometimes a change is good for both parties. Many are withholding financial support until you leave. Given that, what is your response to those fans and alumni?”

It’s all in the question and Spears won’t ask a tough question.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
I keep reading that people are withholding financial support. If that is the case how is the BRAA only down 14 percent. I would think a 60 percent decrease would wake them up.

Would love to see the breakdown of BRAA in age brackets, average donation, and corporate sponsors. I am not a a member, so not sure those reports even exist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT